Rohr names Mikel Obi and 22 others for Cam - NFF

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oyek
Egg
Egg
Rohr names Mikel Obi and 22 others for Cam - NFF

Post by oyek »

Rohr names Mikel Obi, 22 others for battles with Cameroon

Team captain Mikel John Obi and forward Odion Ighalo are back, and Israel –based marksman Anthony Nwakaeme gets a first call as Super Eagles’ Technical Adviser, Gernot Rohr, on Tuesday released his list of players for the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying duels with Cameroon’s Indomitable Lions.

Germany –based defender Leon Balogun returns after missing the World Cup qualifier against Algeria and the Africa Cup qualifier against South Africa, while Chelsea of England’s wing back Victor Moses is also back after sitting out the duel with the Bafana Bafana in June due to injury.

Rohr has largely kept faith with his regular army, including goalkeepers Daniel Akpeyi, Ikechukwu Ezenwa and Dele Alampasu, defenders William Ekong, Elderson Echiejile and Abdullahi Shehu, midfielders Ogenyi Onazi, John Ogu, Wilfred Ndidi and Oghenekaro Etebo, and forwards Ahmed Musa, Moses Simon, Alex Iwobi and Kelechi Iheanacho.

Nigeria welcome the reigning African champions to the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo on Friday, 1st September, before flying to Yaounde for a quickfire return session on Monday, 4th September.

The Super Eagles are top of Africa’s 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Group B with six points, after wins over Zambia and Algeria in their first two matches, while the Lions lie second with only two points following 1-1 draws with Algeria and Zambia.

Seven other players have been placed on standby, but any of them would be contacted to move to camp only in the case there is any issue with any player on the list of 23.

THE FULL LIST

Goalkeepers: Daniel Akpeyi (Chippa United, South Africa); Ikechukwu Ezenwa (FC IfeanyiUbah); Dele Alampasu (Cesarense FC, Portugal)

Defenders: William Ekong (Bursaspor FC, Turkey); Abdullahi Shehu (Anorthosis Famagusta, Cyprus); Leon Balogun (FSV Mainz 05, Germany); Tyronne Ebuehi (ADO Den Haag, The Netherlands); Elderson Echiejile (Sivasspor FC, Turkey); Chidozie Awaziem (Nantes FC, France); Ola Aina (Hull City, England)

Midfielders: Mikel John Obi (Tianjin Teda, China); Ogenyi Onazi (Trabzonspor FC, Turkey); Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City, England); Oghenekaro Etebo (CD Feirense, Portugal); John Ogu (Hapoel Be’er Sheva, Israel); Mikel Agu (Bursaspor FC, Turkey)

Forwards: Ahmed Musa (Leicester City, England); Kelechi Iheanacho (Leicester City, England); Moses Simon (KAA Gent, Belgium); Alex Iwobi (Arsenal FC, England); Odion Ighalo (Chang Chun-Yatai, China); Victor Moses (Chelsea FC, England); Anthony Nwakaeme (Hapoel Be’er Sheva, Israel)

STANDBY: Uche Agbo (Standard Liege, Belgium); Henry Onyekuru (Anderlecht FC, Belgium); Kenneth Omeruo (Chelsea FC, England); Aaron Samuel (CSKA Moscow, Russia); Alhassan Ibrahim (Akwa United); Stephen Eze (FC IfeanyiUbah); Ifeanyi Ifeanyi (Akwa United)

http://www.thenff.com/2017/08/rohr-name ... -cameroon/
If not for Jesus, where will i be?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Rohr names Mikel Obi and 22 others for Cam - NFF

Post by Bigpokey24 »

owngoal was so wrong :lol: :lol: :lol:

glad to see Ola Aina
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Good list, I was hoping to see a recall for Joel Obi. Has Ola Aina's FIFA Change of Nationality come through?
I am happy
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

This is definitely the best squad we can possibly call. It's sad to see most of our defenders and midfielders playing at backwater leagues. at certain point, players has to be held accountable for their actions
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

That settles it then...still think Joel Obi deserves a call up.
oyek
Egg
Egg

Post by oyek »

Joel Obi seems to be the only one missing...
If not for Jesus, where will i be?
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Sometimes, people post illogical things online. What makes you think Joel obi that's just returning from injury and hasn't played for us since 2014 deserves a place in an important match? No be only jobi why not add nsofor, Ike uche
Ahidjo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ahidjo »

john12 wrote:This is definitely the best squad we can possibly call. It's sad to see most of our defenders and midfielders playing at backwater leagues. at certain point, players has to be held accountable for their actions
This is definitely not the best squad. Remove one of the keepers (preferably Dan Akpeyi) and replace with Dele Aiyenugbu who is still better and more experienced than those listed. Remove Shehu (though good but SE should under no circumstance be fielding a player playing in Cyprus) and replace with Ambrose Efe who is still doing wonderfully well in Scotland. Remove Ogenyi Onazi (who, as far as I am concerned has not played any meaningful game due to his botched transfer) and replace with Joel Obi, who, in my estimation is better than most of the players in that middle, more experienced and playing in a better league. Why should we have Simon, Musa in this team when we have Kayode who is a born hustler. We do not need sissies playing against Cameroon and this is why I fear having Simon, Musa, Iheanacho (who does not know what it means to fight) and Iwobi (who gets bullied off the ball every time we play physical opponents). We must not allow Cameroon torment and bully us to submission the way the South Africans did.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

I thought Nacho was injured ?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Our key players in these game are Mikel, Victor Moses, and Balogun...if these guys come with their A game next week, we should beat Cameroon.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Flex Swift wrote:I thought Nacho was injured ?
:lol: :lol: :lol: you mean you fell for the false narrative from the number one Kele hater on CE( highbury)
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Feel aiyenuba vs akpeyi is arguable. However, dele hasn't played for us in 3 years. You must be delusional to think rohl should just recall someone that hasn't featured for us in 3 years. Ambrose (I like) was vilified multiple times on this website is now missed? He hasn't featured for us in 3 years, you shouldn't just recall him. As for onazi, he is one of the most hardworking player in this team yet you want him dropped for Joel obi? When was the last time Joel featured for Nigeria? I agree we need hustlers on this team. However, musa is an experience player that deserves a place at eagles 23. If there was any forward Kayode could had been called in that forward it should be "Simon, or ighalo"
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:I thought Nacho was injured ?
:lol: :lol: :lol: you mean you fell for the false narrative from the number one Kele hater on CE( highbury)
No sky sports reported he had a toe injury so wasn't list for last Saturday match.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Ahidjo wrote:
john12 wrote:This is definitely the best squad we can possibly call. It's sad to see most of our defenders and midfielders playing at backwater leagues. at certain point, players has to be held accountable for their actions
This is definitely not the best squad. Remove one of the keepers (preferably Dan Akpeyi) and replace with Dele Aiyenugbu who is still better and more experienced than those listed. Remove Shehu (though good but SE should under no circumstance be fielding a player playing in Cyprus) and replace with Ambrose Efe who is still doing wonderfully well in Scotland. Remove Ogenyi Onazi (who, as far as I am concerned has not played any meaningful game due to his botched transfer) and replace with Joel Obi, who, in my estimation is better than most of the players in that middle, more experienced and playing in a better league. Why should we have Simon, Musa in this team when we have Kayode who is a born hustler. We do not need sissies playing against Cameroon and this is why I fear having Simon, Musa, Iheanacho (who does not know what it means to fight) and Iwobi (who gets bullied off the ball every time we play physical opponents). We must not allow Cameroon torment and bully us to submission the way the South Africans did.
I mostly agree with you, but Rohr has chosen to go with the familiar. We should be better than we were against Bafana due to the return of key players and as long as we can get a decent shift out of the Keeper, we should all be smiling come September 4. Ola Aina's addition is huge and hopefully that solves the Echiejile problem (even though Aina plays on both wings). Rohr may be afraid of making too many changes too quickly. Awaziem was introduced in the last match and Aina will probably come in against Cameroon.

If we can just get the job done by September 4, I think we will see a lot deserving players who have not got an opportunity recently feature in friendlies and the rest of the qualifying games.
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

oyek wrote:Rohr names Mikel Obi, 22 others for battles with Cameroon

Team captain Mikel John Obi and forward Odion Ighalo are back, and Israel –based marksman Anthony Nwakaeme gets a first call as Super Eagles’ Technical Adviser, Gernot Rohr, on Tuesday released his list of players for the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying duels with Cameroon’s Indomitable Lions.

Germany –based defender Leon Balogun returns after missing the World Cup qualifier against Algeria and the Africa Cup qualifier against South Africa, while Chelsea of England’s wing back Victor Moses is also back after sitting out the duel with the Bafana Bafana in June due to injury.

Rohr has largely kept faith with his regular army, including goalkeepers Daniel Akpeyi, Ikechukwu Ezenwa and Dele Alampasu, defenders William Ekong, Elderson Echiejile and Abdullahi Shehu, midfielders Ogenyi Onazi, John Ogu, Wilfred Ndidi and Oghenekaro Etebo, and forwards Ahmed Musa, Moses Simon, Alex Iwobi and Kelechi Iheanacho.

Nigeria welcome the reigning African champions to the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo on Friday, 1st September, before flying to Yaounde for a quickfire return session on Monday, 4th September.

The Super Eagles are top of Africa’s 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Group B with six points, after wins over Zambia and Algeria in their first two matches, while the Lions lie second with only two points following 1-1 draws with Algeria and Zambia.

Seven other players have been placed on standby, but any of them would be contacted to move to camp only in the case there is any issue with any player on the list of 23.

THE FULL LIST

Goalkeepers: Daniel Akpeyi (Chippa United, South Africa); Ikechukwu Ezenwa (FC IfeanyiUbah); Dele Alampasu (Cesarense FC, Portugal)

Defenders: William Ekong (Bursaspor FC, Turkey); Abdullahi Shehu (Anorthosis Famagusta, Cyprus); Leon Balogun (FSV Mainz 05, Germany); Tyronne Ebuehi (ADO Den Haag, The Netherlands); Elderson Echiejile (Sivasspor FC, Turkey); Chidozie Awaziem (Nantes FC, France); Ola Aina (Hull City, England)

Midfielders: Mikel John Obi (Tianjin Teda, China); Ogenyi Onazi (Trabzonspor FC, Turkey); Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City, England); Oghenekaro Etebo (CD Feirense, Portugal); John Ogu (Hapoel Be’er Sheva, Israel); Mikel Agu (Bursaspor FC, Turkey)

Forwards: Ahmed Musa (Leicester City, England); Kelechi Iheanacho (Leicester City, England); Moses Simon (KAA Gent, Belgium); Alex Iwobi (Arsenal FC, England); Odion Ighalo (Chang Chun-Yatai, China); Victor Moses (Chelsea FC, England); Anthony Nwakaeme (Hapoel Be’er Sheva, Israel)

STANDBY: Uche Agbo (Standard Liege, Belgium); Henry Onyekuru (Anderlecht FC, Belgium); Kenneth Omeruo (Chelsea FC, England); Aaron Samuel (CSKA Moscow, Russia); Alhassan Ibrahim (Akwa United); Stephen Eze (FC IfeanyiUbah); Ifeanyi Ifeanyi (Akwa United)

Rohr is shamelessly recalling the junk duo of Ahmed Musa and Moses Simon, wasting two spots? This coach is beyond stupid.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Before reading further you must compare oyinbo list to Cmoke's list!

No significant difference. So why waste money paying oyinbo?
Ahidjo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ahidjo »

john12 wrote:Sometimes, people post illogical things online. What makes you think Joel obi that's just returning from injury and hasn't played for us since 2014 deserves a place in an important match? No be only jobi why not add nsofor, Ike uche
I guess you were referring to my post. Throwing words (illogical) around. You think that illogicality means disagreement with your parochial views. That is not what it means. Let me explain the logic behind my choice of Joel Obi: Joel Obi is currently fit and is playing for a top club in a top league in Europe (Torino). I watched him play in one of the friendlies and his decision making, passes, shots, marking, dribbles and techniques are still top-notch and he climaxed those performances with sublime goals including a diving header. He needs to feature for the super Eagles considering his current state and quality irrespective of whether he has been injured for the past 20 years. Did you watch any of the games he played in the past few weeks? What has not playing for us since 2014 got to do with his current state? Players for national teams are used if they are, at the moment of need, fit and able. You are comparing Nsofor and Ike Uche and I want to ask, are these two players still playing for top teams in Europe? Talk of illogicality. Did you see the diving header goal Joel scored last week? Did you?
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Bigpokey24 wrote:owngoal was so wrong :lol: :lol: :lol:

glad to see Ola Aina
Owngoal seems to have picked up your challenge:
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Ahidjo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ahidjo »

john12 wrote:Feel aiyenuba vs akpeyi is arguable. However, dele hasn't played for us in 3 years. You must be delusional to think rohl should just recall someone that hasn't featured for us in 3 years. Ambrose (I like) was vilified multiple times on this website is now missed? He hasn't featured for us in 3 years, you shouldn't just recall him. As for onazi, he is one of the most hardworking player in this team yet you want him dropped for Joel obi? When was the last time Joel featured for Nigeria? I agree we need hustlers on this team. However, musa is an experience player that deserves a place at eagles 23. If there was any forward Kayode could had been called in that forward it should be "Simon, or ighalo"
According to your logic, anybody that has not played for us before should never be invited since those that have not played for us in 3 years should not be invited. Please how many years did Ikeme play for "us" before getting invited by Oliseh?
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Would have liked Omeruo, Esiti, and Ideye in the team. Oh well.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

I believe no one that hasn't played in over 3 years should be called up for this match. The exception should be Extremely special players. Looking at the trajectory and stats of players like Jobi, Ambrose, aiyebuba etc they aren't special players. Therefore, they don't deserve to be called up for this match. People have to take in consideration of team chemistry, bonding, etc before expecting a coach to call up certain players. This is definitely the best available squad rohl called and now the ball is on those players court. If they win likelihood of going to world cup is high
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Simon is total junk.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

E be like say Oyinbo copy my list below category by category!

GOALKEEPERS

1. Ezenwa
2. Akpeyi
3. Smallboy Alampasu

DEFENDERS

4. Balogun
5. Ekong
6. Elderson
7. Abdulahi Shehu
8. Ola Aina (Oyinbo never ever pick this boy for enemy's match b4. Copy cat?)
9. Avaziem

MIDFIELDERS
10. Mikel
11. Onazi
12. Ogu (german like big body)
14. Ndidi
15. Etebo

ATTACKERS
Victor Moses
16. Simon Moses
17. Musa
18. Iwobi
19. Kele
20. Ighalo

SIDDON AN LOOK

21 OMERUO

Cmoke's list ABOVE compared to Oyinbo list BELOW

oyek wrote:Rohr names Mikel Obi, 22 others for battles with Cameroon

THE FULL LIST