Interesting Taiwo Awoniyi Interview

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

gurrano
Egg
Egg
Interesting Taiwo Awoniyi Interview

Post by gurrano »

http://www.foarsite.com/2017/03/the-tai ... interview/

FOAR Exclusive – The Taiwo Awoniyi Interview

FOARiginals Opinion by Eric Schipper -
Alright then! A new thing on FOAR, interviews. And we’ve started off with a cracking one. For me it was nice that we had one loanee joining the Eredivisie this summer. And as soon as the second one joined in the winter I thought it would be great to get to know these guys, how they like it, what they think about things. Everybody knows Stevie’s ideas or Carra’s talks, Didi Hammans usual dribble and all that. So I had this brilliant idea to visit the lads on loan in Holland. So I sent an e-mail to NEC Nijmegen whether we could have a talk with Taiwo Awoniyi and they were happy to entertain that.

Together with my mate Chris, who writes columns for Alsin (a Dutch LFC supportersgroup) we got in the car and drove to Nijmegen. Well, I drove and he got the train as we got there from different directions. In case you wondered, I did gave him a lift halfway home. But anyway, our travel plan will be less of a concern to you. More about Taiwo.

We arrived well on time. The people at NEC were very hospitable and they had some excellent coffee (the biscuit was to come back for, really!). Funny how we felt a bit mischievous, a bit “is this happening?” and we giggled like a few schoolkids. We saw Taiwo arriving from the parking lot. He had done some work in the gym and walked into the stadium. He was led to our table and we shook hands. We talked for 45 minutes or so and both Chris and I were pleasantly surprised. I’ve met the odd footballer now and then. And I’ve met loads and loads of people in my line of work. What a special kid, what a genuine nice fella Taiwo is. He doesn’t only appear to be a humble, hardworking and friendly lad. He truly is.

After the interview we bumped into Peter Hyballa, manager of NEC and former youth coach at the Borussia Dortmund of Jurgen Klopp for two seasons. And by bumping in I mean he had a different interview in the same room and after he cleaned the table of the coffee cups I chased after him “Mister Hyballa, Peter, can we have 5 minutes of your time, please?”. He gave us quite a bit of extra insight on Taiwo. Interesting man, Peter, one you could sit down with and have a good few hours talk about life and football. We didn’t, but it felt like that.

After we didn’t dare to take up more time of Hyballa we spoke a bit with the Press Officer, a very lovely lady. We talked a bit about the club, it’s history with good goalies and Brad Jones was mentioned. As we all thought, Brad is a genuine good guy. A truly sound, standup guy. Good to hear. But, most interestingly was her thought on LFC and especially on Julian Ward. According to his Linkedin, Julian is Loan Pathways & Football Partnerships Manager at Liverpool Football Club. We, Liverpool fans, can be genuinely proud of our club and how the club deals with the lads on loan. More on that later. Let’s back up and focus on the man himself, Taiwo Awoniyi.

Thanks for your time Taiwo, we’re very happy we get the chance to get to know you and tell the LFC fans a thing or two about who you are.

No problem, I’m happy to talk to you.

So, first of all, how are things at NEC?

Things are good here. It’s a very good club to help me develop as a player. It’s been great so far.

How did you end up here?

Oh, I’m not sure how it happened. The club (LFC) told me about the offer and I thought it would be a great opportunity for me.

Did you know the club?
As soon as I found out about the offer I went on the internet and read all I could find.

Talking about the manager, did you spoke to Klopp before you left? What did he say? What is the objective for you?

No, it was Julian Ward who talked to me about the loan offer and the club. He told me it would be a great chance for me to develop here.

What targets have you set yourself this season?

My first objective is to develop as a player. Then it’s about getting into the first team and develop even more. And then score goals

How do you rate the Eredivisie compared to your former loanspell in the 2nd Bundesliga?

Oh it’s very different. In Germany, the 2nd tier, there’s so much power involved. Everything and everyone is about force and hard work. Here the teams all try to play football. It’s great to get more time on the ball. High balls were very hard to deal with, with so many big and strong defenders. Here it’s more over the ground, which suits me better as well.

How did the loan at Frankfurt went?

Very good. When I arrived the manager said he wouldn’t play me for four months as he wanted to show me how it works here, how to deal with the situation. After those four months I got to play in a good few games and scored goals for them. I had a good time there.

What did you learn the most at Frankfurt, and here?

As a player? The team is the most important in Germany. At Frankfurt there weren’t a lot of players my age and the more senior players really looked after me and made sure I felt comfortable. It was great to see that coming together as a team. Here it’s bit different, a few more jokes.

Hah, what kind of jokes?

Haha, well there’s a thing we do to decide who cleans the table. That’s always a good laugh. Some lose more than others but it’s all good fun.

And, have you had to clean the tables?

Yes, once I lost so I had to clean. But only once. (he smiled from ear to ear and seemed really happy about this teambonding ritual)

What would your teammates say about you?

Oh I don’t know, that’s not really for me to talk about. But I hope they see me as a man who trusts in God.

God is important to you?

Yes, very much. He is the one that decides how things turn out. Whatever happens, happens because of God.

How do you profess your belief here? Is that different than in Nigeria?

I go to church here, quite similar to what I do in Nigeria. When I’m free and there’s a service at church I go there. The people are really nice to me and I like to be there.

Do you live here with your family?

No, my family still lives in Nigeria. I live alone here.

Isn’t that hard?

At times, but I’m used to it you know. I’ve been doing this since I was 16 and I talk to them a lot. They’re very supportive. They like to let me know how proud they are of me. That helps a lot.

You got a girlfriend?

(He smiled the most endearing smile ever) Yeah I got a special girl back in Nigeria. I talk to her a lot too.

Talking Nigeria, the Eredivisie has seen some big names in Nwakwo Kanu, Finidi George, Sunday and Azubuike Oliseh and Babangida. (I have to admit, this became a big namedropping thing with loads of Nigerian players and how it came to be that there’s been so many of those in Holland, while Ivory Coast players end up in Belgium etc. I’ll not bore you with that now, but it was fun). Have you spoken to them before joining? Especially with Jay Jay Okocha being a manger 50 miles from here?

You mean Sunday Oliseh? (Yeah, I did, my bad) No I haven’t talked to them.

You’ve been involved in the Nigerian Youth setup in the U19’s and U23’s recently and have even be compared to Rashidi Yekini. How muich does stepping up to the senior squad and playing for the national team mean to you?

Yekini was a big, big player for Nigeria with many goals and to this day he’s still revered and remembered. There’s a special remembrance day in Nigeria. I’ve played for the U-17’s and U-19’s and scored goals in almost every game. If you do that, you’ll be compared to Yekini. But when they asked me about that in Nigeria I always told them I’m privileged. But my name is Taiwo and that’s me. I’m only me.

As a young player with your specific qualities, you have to work with different coaches all with different ideas. How do you find the right balance between being receptive to various ideas and staying true to yourself?

The team always comes first. So it’s important to understand what the coach wants and how he wants that. From there on it’s for us as players to decide how we do things on the pitch. I believe in myself but I have to use what I’m good at to help the team.

Do you like to have lots of freedom or being told what to do by the manager?

I think it’s really important that the manager is really clear what he wants from us, as specific as possible. That way we as players know what to expect from each other, what everyone will do in a situation. That helps the team.

You lost your starting position, but played 45 minutes last weekend. What did the manager tell you on what areas you needed to work on.

Haha, that’s not for me to talk about. You should ask the manager. (which we did, after the interview)

Talking Liverpool, you obviously haven’t spend a lot of time at the club so far, with the two loanspells. How connected to the club does that make you feel?

Oh yeah, very much! They make me feel a part of the family very much! Julian Ward is in contact with me a lot. After every game they get the clips of me and they tell me what I did well and what I could’ve done better. Julian visits me as well, it’s really nice. (At this point Chris and me couldn’t be more proud of the club. When we later found out Chelsea does nothing like that, we were beaming)

Do you watch the games of the first team? And the U23’s? If so, how do you feel the teams have been doing? What specific has made a positive impression on you?

Yeah, I watch the games. The first team as much as possible. The U23’s is a bit more difficult as they usually play their games when I got training sessions. I’m very impressed with both teams, they’re doing really well.

Are you in contact with the players?

Yeah, I got Pedro’s (Chirivella) number and I talk a lot with Ovie Ejaria on Snap or whatever. I keep in touch with them.

What are your thoughts for the future?

I believe that is for God to decide. I’m here now and that’s the most important thing for now. I would love to be part of the Liverpool team or the U23’s of course. But that’s not for me to decide. Whatever happens happens.
To round it off, and the LFC fans getting to know you, some quickfire questions!

What number would you want on the back of your shirt?

18 or 9. I had the number 18 with the Nigerian team when I scored a lot of goals. 9 is the striker number (he has the number 9 at NEC)

Black shoes or coloured shoes?

I don’t like the black boots. I love the coloured once. I’ll wear anything but I love the white and yellow ones.

Favourite goal celebration?

I only have one. I kneel, two fingers in the air to thank God.

Would you rather have the most beautiful assist in the world, a simple assist for goal of the season or the most ugly goal ever scored?

The most ugly goal ever scored. It’s not important how it goes in, the goal has to count.

Deciding Everton Liverpool like Sadio Mane did this year or winning a gold medal like Nwankwo Kanu did?

I want both.

What trophy would you like to win?

All trophies are important. As a player you play in a competition to win it. So every trophy is important. But, and I can only hope one day it’ll happen, I would like to win the Champions League.

Allright, we would like to see you win that too. Thanks for the interview Taiwo, it was a real pleasure!

No problem, thanks a lot for coming over.

So when Taiwo left, I “bumped into” Peter Hyballa as mentioned before. And we had a bit of a talk with him. Hyballa gave us a great insight in Taiwo, both as a player and a person. Technically Taiwo’s ability on the ball is the thing he needs to work on the most. Peter basically told us he’s a very young lad who lacked a proper football education and he’s getting one now. Which can only be a good thing for Taiwo.

As said before, Taiwo is a special kid. He works extremely hard and is fully focussed on football. Hyballa had to admit that perhaps it’s too much as you need to relax and let it all hang loose once in a while. For Taiwo it’s football and religion. Peter couldn’t really remember how the transfer went down, whether LFC approached NEC or the other way around, but Hyballa had seen Taiwo play for Frankfurt and liked what he saw.

The role of Julian Ward in the progress of Taiwo isn’t something to dismiss easily. As a liaison between the clubs he visits Taiwo regularly. In consultation with the club, Ward finds a way how to deal with the player on loan. For one it’s almost being a father figure, for the other it’s a friend and the third may just require a coach who works on his skillset.

Together with the video analysis this approach is quite unique. At least 80% of clubs loaning out players have no interest in how the players do there, look after them, footballing wise or as a human being. Well in Liverpool, well in.

Whatever happens with Taiwo, you hope this lad will have a wonderful career.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg
Re: Interesting Taiwo Awoniyi Interview

Post by Ugbowo »

This was indeed a good read. I wish Taiwo the best. Hopefully he scores a lot of goals this season.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Lived in Nijmegen for a while about 100 km from Koln,

Great interview, we need to do something about our football education, I know E11 doesnt like organised play for kids but we need a policy for our players to get basic things right
Oya back to the matter
open and close
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Does he want to a pastor or footballer?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

dude who is going to read all that long torey? Most def not me..either you summarize it of show a YouTube Video
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
gurrano
Egg
Egg

Post by gurrano »

Dem beg you? If you no wan read just pass on and nobody go vex for you.
Bigpokey24 wrote:dude who is going to read all that long torey? Most def not me..either you summarize it of show a YouTube Video
gurrano
Egg
Egg

Post by gurrano »

I can quite relate with everything he said in the interview. He expressed his desire to work hard and learn but acknowledges that ultimately it is God who will bless the work of his hands.

I have always been a huge fan of this young man and everything I read in the interview just makes me like him more. I hope it all comes together for him as I believe he has the potential to surpass Rashidi and become one of the best strikers out of Africa based on what I have seen of him through the youth ranks.

@Oloye if you dey read this thread abeg try reach out to this young man if e get any advice wey you fit give am wey go positively help him career trajectory.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Does he want to a pastor or footballer?
gurrano
Egg
Egg

Post by gurrano »

Please can you provide more context to your statement about players education as it relates to Taiwo's interview?
Prince wrote:Lived in Nijmegen for a while about 100 km from Koln,

Great interview, we need to do something about our football education, I know E11 doesnt like organised play for kids but we need a policy for our players to get basic things right
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

gurrano wrote:Please can you provide more context to your statement about players education as it relates to Taiwo's interview?

His Coaches interview
Oya back to the matter
open and close
gurrano
Egg
Egg

Post by gurrano »

Thanks for the clarification.
Prince wrote:
gurrano wrote:Please can you provide more context to your statement about players education as it relates to Taiwo's interview?

His Coaches interview
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

I really hope he comes good. Very humble kid...
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Does he want to a pastor or footballer?
Why you dey talk nonsense? Did he preach a sermon to you? Abi a footballer cannot think about anything else save for football??
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Peter basically told us he’s a very young lad who lacked a proper football education and he’s getting one now.
Been saying this for years here.

I hope the following are taking note: EII, Gotti, Damunk, Bell, Mystic...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:
Peter basically told us he’s a very young lad who lacked a proper football education and he’s getting one now.

Txj,

I read it but consider it a lot of BS.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
okuns
Egg
Egg

Post by okuns »

Lacked proper fooball education, but he won the U-17 World Cup?
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:

Txj,

:agree:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

okuns wrote:Lacked proper fooball education, but he won the U-17 World Cup?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Kid was banging in goals for fun at each progressive level without a "proper" football education...
But now he's getting a "proper" one, cannot hit a ban door - but can now get 'stuck in' as well as any rugby player!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

And that's all the evidence you need, right?

My people, my people.... :blush:

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:

Txj,

Of course...it doesn't fit the narrative...

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

txj wrote:

That's at least one PERSUASIVE piece of evidence... :D

Watching Everton as I write this, and (as with every other time I have watched an Everton game this season), the commentators make it point to use the England U20 WYC win of this past summer as evidence of the execellent football education of Everton youngsters (about 5 of whom were in the England squad). On the other hand, "all of the evidence" that you appear to use to seek to validate Taiwo's alleged lack of a proper football education is that it was in Nigeria. In other words, 'if it's Nigerian, it cannot be good' - even when/if you are unfamiliar with the particulars of each individual case. SMDH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:

Txj,

Of course...it doesn't fit the narrative...
Of course....you cited it as confirmation because it did fit your narrative, no? :rotf: Never mind the mountain of evidence that screams otherwise ... the development of Awoniyi that is similar to development of scores of western players. No we should ignore that evidence because they do not "fit the/your narrative."
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
gurrano
Egg
Egg

Post by gurrano »

For the sake of the "common" football fan like me that does not have your in depth technical understanding of the game
can you simplify this technical knowledge gap and provide concrete examples of it in lay man terms..

Below is an example I have come up with concerning a communication gap that a lot of immigrants are dinged with when they arrive in the Canadian work environment.

This should give you an idea of what I am hoping you can provide

1. Do not keep eye contact when talking to other people
2. Not responsive to feedback e.g when given feedback in the form of "If I were you I would consider.." this feedback is often disregarded and considered to be something they may optionally consider
txj wrote:

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

gurrano wrote:For the sake of the "common" football fan like me that does not have your in depth technical understanding of the game
can you simplify this technical knowledge gap and provide concrete examples of it in lay man terms..

Below is an example I have come up with concerning a communication gap that a lot of immigrants are dinged with when they arrive in the Canadian work environment.

This should give you an idea of what I am hoping you can provide

1. Do not keep eye contact when talking to other people
2. Not responsive to feedback e.g when given feedback in the form of "If I were you I would consider.." this feedback is often disregarded and considered to be something they may optionally consider
txj wrote:

It has nothing to do with racial stereotypes. That is the excuse of dullards...

I am talking of the difference between formal method and the informal. True, street football has its value, but structured training on team football, individual techniques, dieting, physical conditioning, etc are elements largely lacking in our youth development, where many of our players rely on self help...