Efan Ekoku - a class act

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Efan Ekoku - a class act

Post by smartbrother »

I thought Ekoku was mediocre to be honest
Didnt provide any insightful analysis whatsoever
He is well spoken but very dull.
There were so many interesting things to talk about in regards to both sides he didnt even mention
He just stated the obvious.
Cameroon are throwing men forward and making themselves vulnerable to the counter. duh
He also seems to revel in mispronouncing Nigerian names and African words in general
I find it arrogant when commentators cant be bothered to check they have pronunciations right before coming on air
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Natives hia love Ekoku because he speaks with the British resonance that they have been trying to master all their lives, without success. Meanwhile they have stomped on our own Chukwu Ndukwe. Lickspittles and traitors all. :-x

Wha choo looking at?!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

smartbrother wrote:I thought Ekoku was mediocre to be honest
Didnt provide any insightful analysis whatsoever
He is well spoken but very dull.
There were so many interesting things to talk about in regards to both sides he didnt even mention
He just stated the obvious.
Cameroon are throwing men forward and making themselves vulnerable to the counter. duh
He also seems to revel in mispronouncing Nigerian names and African words in general
I find it arrogant when commentators cant be bothered to check they have pronunciations right before coming on air
I would have to agree. Don't think he was bad, but I wouldn't call his performance a "class act". He didn't embarrass us, but that's about it. And he kept saying Moses "Seemon" making the classic oyinbo mistake to think that every name borne by an African must be African. No bro, it's Simon.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Scipio Africanus wrote:Natives hia love Ekoku because he speaks with the British resonance that they have been trying to master all their lives, without success. Meanwhile they have stomped on our own Chukwu Ndukwe. Lickspittles and traitors all. :-x
Na lie....not about accent, Ndukwe's calling is not commentary.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

deanotito wrote:The all time worst was skippo in Mali 2004...may his souls Rest In Peace. But he was :rotf: baaaddd
Quit hating....
Skippo was simply trying to effect American affectations just like many of you diaspora Nigerians.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...if you are fluent in a language (any language) and speak clearly, yes, Efan Ekoku was okay vs some commentators on Nigerian league tv.
I believe Ekoku was raised yonder, played there, and have lived there almost all his life, so he gotta be fluent, learned and polished knowing fully well he is speaking to a larger audience.

That's why sometimes I wish we use vernacular in Nigeria as every speaker tend to throw in their village accent when speaking "queen's own" very own :laugh: Even our president fumbles, eat your heart out brown-envelopers :laugh: :laugh:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mcal wrote:...if you are fluent in a language (any language) and speak clearly, yes, Efan Ekoku was okay vs some commentators on Nigerian league tv.
I believe Ekoku was raised yonder, played there, and have lived there almost all his life, so he gotta be fluent, learned and polished knowing fully well he is speaking to a larger audience.

That's why sometimes I wish we use vernacular in Nigeria as every speaker tend to throw in their village accent when speaking "queen's own" very own :laugh: Even our president fumbles, eat your heart out brown-envelopers. :laugh: :laugh:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
I'm a firm believer in people speaking a language proficiently.
Nothing worse than someone speaking Igbo with a Yoruba accent or speaking Yoruba with an Igbo accent whilst making fundamental errors of syntax at the same time.
Its just not on.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Gotti wrote:
deanotito wrote:The all time worst was skippo in Mali 2004...may his souls Rest In Peace. But he was :rotf: baaaddd
Quit hating....
Skippo was simply trying to effect American affectations just like many of you diaspora Nigerians.
Can you imagine commentary that gave us "das futball" being called the worst? SMH.
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

Otitokoro wrote::rotf: :rotf:
Nna, he tried his best :rotf:
metalalloy wrote:
Cellular wrote:
cic old boy wrote:If you watched the game on BT Sport you would have appreciated classy co-commentary from our own Efan. Very knowledgeable guy with regards to the finer points of the game and useful insights on the Naija football scene, mentality, etc.

Hope he is on for the Yaounde match.
Una lucky o. They gave us Chukwu Ndukwe.

Nna, a searched mysef and scratched mysef wondering how he got the gig. Bobo was atrocious.
:rotf: :rotf:

The guy was fantastically terrible!
Peter Obi For President 2023
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Scipio Africanus wrote:Natives hia love Ekoku because he speaks with the British resonance that they have been trying to master all their lives, without success. Meanwhile they have stomped on our own Chukwu Ndukwe. Lickspittles and traitors all. :-x
It's not the accent. Yes you do have to be able to speak good English even in Nigerian accent. Even pidgin English isn't bad if you're able to communicate your message effectively. Ndukwe wasn't very articulate. You just don't put someone in front of a camera because he played pro ball.

The older South African gentleman who usually does analysis on supersport speaks with a heavy South African accent but he does a very good job. Same with Peterside Idah.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Gotti wrote:
Quit hating....
:D Nice try. If that was all, I would leave it there. But it was that and the empty phrases. There was no color to his color commentary. It's interesting but there are a lot of our players that talk like this ...certainly not all of them, but you sorta hope that when you listen to an ex-international, you get some insight into a game that is beyond what your neighbor, Papa Bunmi, can give while he's brushing his teeth in the gutter on Saturday morning.

Efan does okay. Amokachi does okay. Akpoborie, also okay. Stephen Keshi did not. Okocha, also weak.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Damunk wrote:
mcal wrote:...if you are fluent in a language (any language) and speak clearly, yes, Efan Ekoku was okay vs some commentators on Nigerian league tv.

That's why sometimes I wish we use vernacular in Nigeria as every speaker tend to throw in their village accent when speaking "queen's own" very own :laugh: Even our president fumbles, eat your heart out brown-envelopers. :laugh: :laugh:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
I'm a firm believer in people speaking a language proficiently.
Nothing worse than someone speaking Igbo with a Yoruba accent or speaking Yoruba with an Igbo accent whilst making fundamental errors of syntax at the same time.
Its just not on.

sharap dia, daMunk. Me I like Igbo girls speaking yoruba with Igbo accent...you neva jam!
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
jungle-jawara
Egg
Egg

Post by jungle-jawara »

Cellular wrote:
cic old boy wrote:If you watched the game on BT Sport you would have appreciated classy co-commentary from our own Efan. Very knowledgeable guy with regards to the finer points of the game and useful insights on the Naija football scene, mentality, etc.

Hope he is on for the Yaounde match.
Una lucky o. They gave us Chukwu Ndukwe.

Nna, a searched mysef and scratched mysef wondering how he got the gig. Bobo was atrocious.
Guy, do what I do, use the mute button.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:Efangwu Ekoku is on his way to become a seasoned experienced voice in the global game. Cool guy!
Also refreshing to hear Tim Caple, certainly one of the very experienced commentators of the game. Caple ran the commentary way back in CAN 2000 on Eurosport.
If its the same Eurosport guy from back then, he has come a long way.
All he ever said in those days was how 'naive' African teams were.
Infuriating.
That was Archie McPherson. I had to call Eurosport in Paris in 1994 and give him a piece of my mind and he stopped calling African football naive.
I am happy
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Odegbami worked on Radio 5 during one ANC and I turned off the telly volume to follow the radio commentary - like we used to do with Ernest Okonkwo back in the day. Nothing to do with accent, more about insight and knowledge.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Bros, which feed did you watch?

Because some of yous don begin dey fear me o.

Anybody way watch di match with the Naija SS3 feed and come out with a different opinion should join Politricks or become SSA Media to a politrictian.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

kalani JR wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Quit hating....
Can you imagine commentary that gave us "das futball" being called the worst? SMH.
Abi! I mean Skippo's color commentary was just "beauriful"... :lol:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

theYemster wrote:
It's not the accent. Yes you do have to be able to speak good English even in Nigerian accent. Even pidgin English isn't bad if you're able to communicate your message effectively. Ndukwe wasn't very articulate. You just don't put someone in front of a camera because he played pro ball.

The older South African gentleman who usually does analysis on supersport speaks with a heavy South African accent but he does a very good job. Same with Peterside Idah.
To be fair, the old South African guy, Thomas Kwenaite, is a seasoned pro who does commentary for a living (like Charles Anazodo) unlike a guest analyst who comes in for specific events. Having said that, Mr Chukwu Raphael Ndukwe was atrocious.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Damunk wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:Efangwu Ekoku is on his way to become a seasoned experienced voice in the global game. Cool guy!
Also refreshing to hear Tim Caple, certainly one of the very experienced commentators of the game. Caple ran the commentary way back in CAN 2000 on Eurosport.
Infuriating.
I hated listening to eurosport commentaries, the two guys appear to buy some massaging oil and proceed to massage themselves in obscene places while watching african teams play. They sound so condescending i tend to switch to another channel or simply mute my tv.

It is like they are being paid to run african teams down...two horrible commentators!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

kalani JR wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Quit hating....
Mamamia, anytin can happun!

Pipul are ingrates!!!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Dammy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Infuriating.
That was Archie McPherson. I had to call Eurosport in Paris in 1994 and give him a piece of my mind and he stopped calling African football naive.
I loved Archie. Can't remember him being condescending
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

deanotito wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Infuriating.
I loved Archie. Can't remember him being condescending
Your emotions have already gotten in the way....your decision making becomes compromised from them on :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho