African playing surfaces

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
African playing surfaces

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I have seen top quality pitches ( Kumasi, was a huge disgrace ) in at least 4 games, which makes the game a joy to watch on TV...and they actually look so much better than many I saw in South America on Beinsports. ..so it seems CAF maybe on to something selling beautiful football across the globe. .well done to all the nation's

So far,
Tunisia, Nigeria , Zambia, Gabon, have all had lovely playing surfaces. .then more to come next week in SA. EGYPT, ALG, CAM...
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: African playing surfaces

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

The main reason I thought the 4-0 score was film trick was because the field dint look like it was in Nigeria, grass was too green. :thumbs:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

The grass in Nigeria was only okay.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

You need to check the Zambia pitch again, it was bad.

Sandy pitch, looked like a hard surface all around.

The uyo pitch was good but it was cut up early on. Still better than the Zambian pitch though.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
jdizzy
Egg
Egg

Post by jdizzy »

The Zambia pitch was horrible. Looks good on TV but bumpy as hell. The Uyo pitch is average to below average...noticed several odd bounces during the game
Niente Ÿ impossibile!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

jdizzy wrote:The Zambia pitch was horrible. Looks good on TV but bumpy as hell. The Uyo pitch is average to below average...noticed several odd bounces during the game
It was cut up after players dug into it. So it isn't the level of the pitch, but the quality of the pitch.

I think surfaces that are prone to wet weather (And the South South receives one of the greatest rainfalls in the world), are prone to getting cut up if they are not maintained all year round. it's a fine balance in terms of grass length and how compact the grass is. Lengthier grass I think makes it harder to cut up (this includes the rooting as well as the surface), but also slows the game down, if it is overdone.

Maybe the grass wasn't compact enough and perhaps poor rooting.

There's about a month to the next game, they will have to resurface it, or the match against Zambia will be very unpredictable.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

COULD HAVE BEEN MY EYES, BUT...

...I didn't see anything to complain about regarding the stadiums of the pitches (Chinese money?). Some of the stadiums could have used more people though.
Bell
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

jdizzy wrote:The Zambia pitch was horrible. Looks good on TV but bumpy as hell. The Uyo pitch is average to below average...noticed several odd bounces during the game
I don't understand how some if these guys can watch European football week in and week out and conclude that the Uyo pitch was good. Our standards are so ridiculously low it's unbelievable.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Just saw a bit of the replay of Guinea v Libya on BEIN TV and that pitch was awful,I don't think there's a particular standard layed down by CAF or any organisation at present so if you see a good looking pitch it's a one off!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
I don't understand how some if these guys can watch European football week in and week out and conclude that the Uyo pitch was good. Our standards are so ridiculously low it's unbelievable.
English pitches are very good, some other pitches in Europe are bad. Pitches cutting up is a global affair! Google the Iceland pitches.

I have seen bad pitches here in Australia as well, in professional matches. So don't generalize across Europe.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
Difference between good and excellent.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Uyo pitch was ok, better than it was before but still not where it should be IMO. It was cutting up and maybe overwatered b/c players were just slipping on it at times. The Zambian one was definitely an eye sore also Cape Verde artificial bumpy pitch wasn't it!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

maceo4 wrote:Uyo pitch was ok, better than it was before but still not where it should be IMO. It was cutting up and maybe overwatered b/c players were just slipping on it at times. The Zambian one was definitely an eye sore!
The Zambian one was bad all around, it wasn't just the barren areas around the goal. When the camera focused in on the pitch, I could see that the ENTIRE pitch was bad. The sand was coming through everywhere.

but their stadium is beautiful, one of my favourite stadia in the world. I love the canopy. Simple design, but better than more complex structures.