So Mikel is no longer a 90 minute player

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
So Mikel is no longer a 90 minute player

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] We have problems in midfield ladies and gentlemen
[2] Rohr obviously knew what he was doing when he replaced Mikel in both games
[3] I for one wondered why Mikel was taken off so early in Yaounde but if you watch the game again, you can see he was knackered
[4] By the 60th minute, Mikel was out of gas and giving the ball away easily
[5] Cameroon's strategy was to close him down whenever he had the ball and he kept losing possession in the second half whenever they did
[6] For me, the tragedy is that we did not have anyone of that quality and class on the bench to replace him
[7] For me, the only player of such quality we have in central midfield is Kelechi Nwakali
[8] Like it or not, Kelechi Nwakali has to play in the next two games, even if as a sub. He needs to be groomed for the World Cup
[9] I do not buy this argument about club action. Leon Balogun has not played one match for Mainz this season
[10] For me, the areas in the team where we are desperately short are the two fullback positions, playmaker and in goal. Rohr needs to step up his search.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: So Mikel is no longer a 90 minute player

Post by pajimoh »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] We have problems in midfield ladies and gentlemen
[2] Rohr obviously knew what he was doing when he replaced Mikel in both games
[3] I for one wondered why Mikel was taken off so early in Yaounde but if you watch the game again, you can see he was knackered
[4] By the 60th minute, Mikel was out of gas and giving the ball away easily
[5] Cameroon's strategy was to close him down whenever he had the ball and he kept losing possession in the second half whenever they did
[6] For me, the tragedy is that we did not have anyone of that quality and class on the bench to replace him
[7] For me, the only player of such quality we have in central midfield is Kelechi Nwakali
[8] Like it or not, Kelechi Nwakali has to play in the next two games, even if as a sub. He needs to be groomed for the World Cup
[9] I do not buy this argument about club action. Leon Balogun has not played one match for Mainz this season
[10] For me, the areas in the team where we are desperately short are the two fullback positions, playmaker and in goal. Rohr needs to step up his search.

Mikel is returning from injury and has hardly played about 3 full-time club games since his return. Please don't start
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Mikel had to burn more energy than usual being played in an advanced position behind Ighalo. Rohr's plan was to use him to defend from the front and dictate the play from the centre which he did quite well. In the first leg he laid the pass that set up Ighalo's goal and scored himself and he was colossal in keeping the shape and dictating the play. Coming into the game a few weeks post surgery and on the back of limited playing time, it's even a miracle he held up for that long...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Mr Shows wrote:Mikel had to burn more energy than usual being played in an advanced position behind Ighalo. Rohr's plan was to use him to defend from the front and dictate the play from the centre which he did quite well. In the first leg he laid the pass that set up Ighalo's goal and scored himself and he was colossal in keeping the shape and dictating the play. Coming into the game a few weeks post surgery and on the back of limited playing time, it's even a miracle he held up for that long...

In the first leg, Mikel did not burn out that easily. Yesterday, he was done by half time.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

When was he a 90 mins player for naija....most of his matches when asked to do more than defending,he is done by 70mins.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:Mikel had to burn more energy than usual being played in an advanced position behind Ighalo. Rohr's plan was to use him to defend from the front and dictate the play from the centre which he did quite well. In the first leg he laid the pass that set up Ighalo's goal and scored himself and he was colossal in keeping the shape and dictating the play. Coming into the game a few weeks post surgery and on the back of limited playing time, it's even a miracle he held up for that long...

In the first leg, Mikel did not burn out that easily. Yesterday, he was done by half time.
We are talking back to back games against WWE wrestlers ... Anyway, as Oloye noted Mikel has never had bags of stamina. Folks don't seem to realise how mentally and physically demanding this encounter was. The entire team was knackered by the 80 min mark.
zoro
Egg
Egg

Post by zoro »

How was the game after Mikel left??????????
IGBOS ARE THE IMPORTANT AND USEFUL SLAVES OF NIGERIA. THEY HAVE A CHOICE TO MAKE.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

The problem is not that Mikel didn't last the full 90, the issue is that in each game when he left, on field leadership left with him. That's where the search should focus. Who is the guy who when Mikel leaves will start talking to the team ON THE FIELD. In the first game, Onazi focused on his own game a bit more when Mikel left and you can't blame him. The whole team was on such a high anyway, so little damage was done and Cameroon where already down.

Yesterday, as soon as he left, communication in the middle went away. Agu and Ndidi seemed to be in the same space all the time, therefore opening gaps for Cameroon in midfield. Also, there seemed no one capable of talking the little excesses out of VicMo as soon as the skipper left and he started losing possession due in the main to the showboating he was not exhibiting when Mikel was on. Ihenacho came on and didn't seem to know what runs to make and we just lost our shape.

What was missing in the real sense was on field leadership. Someone needs to start talking. If I were in a position to choose, I will make VicMo the vice captain simply because I believe that responsibility will make him more aware of carrying others along. Onazi is too action focussed to look up, Elderson seems to quite, and Balogun (who will be a constant for years barring injuries) is not fully immersed in the culture to command respect.
To stop trying is to start dying
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Playing 180in in 3 days is a heavy load for anybody,even Moses, a wb that plays weekly was tired. China is not Cameroon, non of china based played 90mins in both games.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Mr Shows wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
We are talking back to back games against WWE wrestlers ... Anyway, as Oloye noted Mikel has never had bags of stamina. Folks don't seem to realise how mentally and physically demanding this encounter was. The entire team was knackered by the 80 min mark.
... players who commit fouls with impunity, yet get's away with it in many cases :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Some of you aren't intelligent this was Mikel's 4th game after being out of football since March/ April after having surgery and only returned 3 weeks ago...and you people expect him to play 180 mins in 2 days...pathetic....
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 100%Naija »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Some of you aren't intelligent this was Mikel's 4th game after being out of football since March/ April after having surgery and only returned 3 weeks ago...and you people expect him to play 180 mins in 2 days...pathetic....
Chairman, i trust you to come to hubby's defense with serious force and you no disappoint. Wer done sah :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
I'm the biggest boss that you've seen thus far, Reppin' PH & NGR to the Fullest
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158494
Babafad wrote: My brother, dis money go scatter akara for inside oil. Just dey watch!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Let us not allow emotions run riot(BigP) , Mikel has never been a box to box ,not at this level anyway. Look at the stats for SE from when he broke into the team, he is usually done at circa 70mins. This is not an attempt to bash him.

The truth is he is the magnet that holds the middle together, and yes over the two legs as soon as he goes out the middle collapses.

If i were Rohr, if Mikel goes out,i will bring Moses into the middle, you need someone with intelligence to do what Mikel does in the middle. Mikel is the starch that helps cement garri molecules together....but the truth is he does not have the lungs to do that over 90minutes. Rather than get angry let us look at his stats for SE , only a daft coach would remove the mainstay of his team without any good reason.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Fatigue was bound to play a factor in this game, because of the proximity of the previous match and the incovenience of having to travel. But then this is not different from being in a WC or ANC group match, either way an experienced player's body knows how to adjust yo these conditions.

Strange how your body recovers quickly when it knows you have another match in 48 hrs, yet the aame body would take almost 3 days to recover when it is receives the message that the next match is not due until a week's time.

These are professionals paid to do what they are doing.

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I'm surprised we are overlooking Alhassan...that tall lanky young man is the most cerebral player I have seen play...skilfull, intelligent,and has very deft touches...watched his CHAN games recently and was very impressed...why are we overlooking him? because he is a home based player? If Ezenwa can be so impressive as an home based,then it won't hurt to try Alhassan...we desperately need a playmaker cause Mikel is at best a 65mins player.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

100%Naija wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:Some of you aren't intelligent this was Mikel's 4th game after being out of football since March/ April after having surgery and only returned 3 weeks ago...and you people expect him to play 180 mins in 2 days...pathetic....
Chairman, i trust you to come to hubby's defense with serious force and you no disappoint. Wer done sah :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
He has a point and it's expected of him to know this!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Playing 180in in 3 days is a heavy load for anybody,even Moses, a wb that plays weekly was tired. China is not Cameroon, non of china based played 90mins in both games.

Is this any different from playing in the World Cup or Nations Cup? Even in the leagues, team's play Premiership games on Saturday and Champions League matches on Wednesday.

Are you saying that our players cannot handle a competition? Besides, was it not the same for the Cameroonians?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

oloye wrote:Fatigue was bound to play a factor in this game, because of the proximity of the previous match and the incovenience of having to travel. But then this is not different from being in a WC or ANC group match, either way an experienced player's body knows how to adjust yo these conditions.

Strange how your body recovers quickly when it knows you have another match in 48 hrs, yet the aame body would take almost 3 days to recover when it is receives the message that the next match is not due until a week's time.

These are professionals paid to do what they are doing.

Mikel is 30. We simply cannot remain so dependent on him. We need another midfield general who can pull the strings. For now, the only person I can think of is Kelechi Nwakali. I do not know of anyone else with that vision, intelligence, range of passing and ability to control the game.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

oloye wrote:Let us not allow emotions run riot(BigP) , Mikel has never been a box to box ,not at this level anyway. Look at the stats for SE from when he broke into the team, he is usually done at circa 70mins. This is not an attempt to bash him.

The truth is he is the magnet that holds the middle together, and yes over the two legs as soon as he goes out the middle collapses.

If i were Rohr, if Mikel goes out,i will bring Moses into the middle, you need someone with intelligence to do what Mikel does in the middle. Mikel is the starch that helps cement garri molecules together....but the truth is he does not have the lungs to do that over 90minutes. Rather than get angry let us look at his stats for SE , only a daft coach would remove the mainstay of his team without any good reason.

Oloye biko you are doing what other coaches have done that has nearly wrecked Vic MO's career ... again I repeat the man is a wide player PERIOD!!

He cannot play on the inside or as a #10.

The player that should be developed is Iwobi. Hopefully he can escape Arsenal on loan and allowed to flourish in his nature role as a roving play maker
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Playing 180in in 3 days is a heavy load for anybody,even Moses, a wb that plays weekly was tired. China is not Cameroon, non of china based played 90mins in both games.

Is this any different from playing in the World Cup or Nations Cup? Even in the leagues, team's play Premiership games on Saturday and Champions League matches on Wednesday.

Are you saying that our players cannot handle a competition? Besides, was it not the same for the Cameroonians?
Did Mikel have pre season games? NO. Has Mikel played all the games for his club this season? No. Is Mikel fully fit and match fit? No.
We needed him and he answered the call.
Obviously he's getting on in years and might not be able to play a full 90 minutes if we play a high tempo game. But for now he needs to get match fit and get over the psychological impact of his injury
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Chriskendo43
Egg
Egg

Post by Chriskendo43 »

This team is useless without Mikel
Chriskendo43
Egg
Egg

Post by Chriskendo43 »

We need capable replacement
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

anikulapo wrote:
oloye wrote:Let us not allow emotions run riot(BigP) , Mikel has never been a box to box ,not at this level anyway. Look at the stats for SE from when he broke into the team, he is usually done at circa 70mins. This is not an attempt to bash him.

Oloye biko you are doing what other coaches have done that has nearly wrecked Vic MO's career ... again I repeat the man is a wide player PERIOD!!

He cannot play on the inside or as a #10.

The player that should be developed is Iwobi. Hopefully he can escape Arsenal on loan and allowed to flourish in his nature role as a roving play maker
Well Iwobi was not available yesterday was he?