Super Eagus: My Analysis

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Super Eagus: My Analysis

Post by The YeyeMan »

Cellular wrote:Just to add, that it was the desire to add "better" players for the World Cup from the AFCON winning squad that messed with the team chemistry.

Should Rohr's Eagles go ahead and qualify, he will face the same exact problems with people calling for new players without considering the effect on TEAM CHEMISTRY.
The great Stephen Keshi aside for a moment...

I don't recall you saying this at the time. In fact the reason you were crowing about the likes of Shola Ameobi was because in your view it demonstrated that Keshi was choosing team chemistry over so-called "better" players.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Cellular wrote:Just to add, that it was the desire to add "better" players for the World Cup from the AFCON winning squad that messed with the team chemistry.

Should Rohr's Eagles go ahead and qualify, he will face the same exact problems with people calling for new players without considering the effect on TEAM CHEMISTRY.
The great Stephen Keshi aside for a moment...

I don't recall you saying this at the time. In fact the reason you were crowing about the likes of Shola Ameobi was because in your view it demonstrated that Keshi was choosing team chemistry over so-called "better" players.
You can go back to the threads. I was advising him to choose "Team" over "Best Player". So many threads where I kept harping on the same thing...

But he added players who messed with team chemistry and dropped a player that worked well with others... even one that made Emenike a better player.

In spite of that, he still made it to the second round.

Again, I will give Rohr the same advice. Don't mess with your team chemistry.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Gotti wrote:While it may never be too early to start contemplating ahead...
We have a whole full season of fluctuating form and fortunes before the WC.

Personally, I am hoping that Isaac Success finally regains some of the immense potential that he gave us a glimpse of at Granada over the coming season and that the likes of Joel Obi and Nura Abdullahi (and actually play some meaningful football) stay healthy for a full season. Meanwhile, the Samuel Kalu that you seem to like is a veritable turnover machine and until he significantly improves on that part of his game and start consistently making better decisions, I doubt his SE viability for Russia (which I chose to assume that will qualify). Peter Olayinka would be a DISASTER at LB (even for emergency purposes) and that should never enter any consideration of him, when we would already have a competent enough backup in Ola Aina.

It good that folks are getting excited and all hyped up about the possibilities in Russia (again, I have assumed we will qualify), but frankly there's going to be a lot happening on the various fields in the various leagues over the course of the football season between now and the WC. Meanwhile, until then, there's no need to make any significant change to the squad already at hand.
Like i mentioned on a response here, the new players I proposed should only be called up towards end of next season, then we would know if their opening of the season form is a fluke or not.

Olayinka has actually played as a left back in the past. Again, you are right, he might actually stink up the joint if used as an LB. But our scarcity of LB might force us to try some "possibles".
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Gotti wrote:
marutimon wrote:Its amazing when you look at the 2014 World Cup and the players Keshi was peddling and you now compare that to the quality of players we are considering dropping or are just worthy of a look into...
It is frankly irritating when folks will not let Keshi rest in peace...

The players he "peddled" WON the ANC, qualified for the WC and got to the second round - something the random collection of players that you folks are perambulating about here on the Internet has yet to achieve. And yes, as a green-blooded SE fan, I would like to see this current crop of players win the WC itself, but enough with the premature ejacuulation while insulting someone who in any remotely civilized country would be considered a veritable national institution. SMDH
This isn't an attack on Keshi. Its more of a statement as to how many talented players we have now as compared to 2014.
Fact is Ahmed Musa was a deserved starter in 2014 because he's the best we had then. In 2018 he barely deserves to be called up, despite agewise being in his prime. Thats quite a jump.

We can lambast Keshi for having such a poor bench that he had to bring on Gabriel Reuben vs France, but fact is that in 2014 we had so little quality midfielders that Keshi could argument this inclusion. Now bringing a player like Reuben into the squad would be totally unjustifiable.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

marutimon wrote:
Gotti wrote:
marutimon wrote:Its amazing when you look at the 2014 World Cup and the players Keshi was peddling and you now compare that to the quality of players we are considering dropping or are just worthy of a look into...

The players he "peddled" WON the ANC, qualified for the WC and got to the second round - something the random collection of players that you folks are perambulating about here on the Internet has yet to achieve. And yes, as a green-blooded SE fan, I would like to see this current crop of players win the WC itself, but enough with the premature ejacuulation while insulting someone who in any remotely civilized country would be considered a veritable national institution. SMDH
This isn't an attack on Keshi. Its more of a statement as to how many talented players we have now as compared to 2014.
Fact is Ahmed Musa was a deserved starter in 2014 because he's the best we had then. In 2018 he barely deserves to be called up, despite agewise being in his prime. Thats quite a jump.

We can lambast Keshi for having such a poor bench that he had to bring on Gabriel Reuben vs France, but fact is that in 2014 we had so little quality midfielders that Keshi could argument this inclusion. Now bringing a player like Reuben into the squad would be totally unjustifiable.
K, got it. My bad...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Cellular wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Thank you, Sir!

Just to add, that it was the desire to add "better" players for the World Cup from the AFCON winning squad that messed with the team chemistry.

Bro, How you dey?

I think its a delicate balance and at the same time strategic. I advocate for no more than 3 changes (atmost 4) to the first team. If you notice, i have suggested only 3 changes to the current team setup (left wing, striking and right back). The other changes are the backups to the main.

for instance, the left and right back, Onyekuru has worked with Rohr also, AIna. The integration has started. Aaron Samuel, Ideye etc have also worked with Rohr. Emenike hasn't but he has played with the major spine of the team before (moses, Mikel, onazi) so also Elderson.

Again, in the write up i said "Elderson: Hmmm. As much as he has hardly been superb for naija, he is vastly experienced and is currently having a good run of games in Tier 2 league (turkey). Its hard to do away with experience especially for coaches who dont like to make wholesome changes to their first team squads like Rohr. His replacement has to be an overlord in that position like Babayaro and udeze. If Nura Abdullahi can stay fit, he would get that spot in Roma and snatch that role from Elderson. Amuzie is also lurking around (lets see if he brings the roof down as Zurich), while the hottest player in Belgium right now can also play as a left back."

So team chemistry is key, but when u can add a Neymar or Kante to your team, then DO IT while balancing the act.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Oga,

You entire analysis is flawed and lazy. You failed to take the extra step of identifying each player you want removed for each one you want to add!

You also failed to recognize that our team is growing in strength as several combinations of two players are playing excellently as a combination. For example, Balogun and Ekong and the two moses! Hence the fallacy of your Moses simon dig.

Your colomental insistence that each SE player must be playing at big leagues in Europe is laughable at best, given that our much loved 1994 wc team did not meet such requirements, and our best players in the Cameroon war were Mikel and Ighalo who plays where again ?

Cmoke

chief nfachairman wrote:This Super Eagles would dominate Africa but wouldnt go past the 2nd round of the World cup while the target is to win it. The team is getting itself together but its not a killer squad yet. It has to be a team that dispenses away opponents with ease and make the big teams like Brazil and Germany raise an eyebrow. 1994-97 team did it. We need change of personnel in some poistions and we need outrightly legit backups to some of our main players.

Rohr is still working on his team and their style of play. For all you know, he might totally depart from the current style and formation. He has played 2 different formations in this qualifier. He would perfect it. He is a meticulous and well organized man. He is knowledgeable and very tactical.

FORWARD
V.Moses: key man risk. When he is not playing, our attack is ordinary. We need to find a legit backup to him that can turn the game around when playing. Samuel Kalu is outrageously technical and a dangerous ball player.

Ighalo: Our best striker should not be playing in China. Unless Ighalo scores in every game for Nigeria he would not make the final WC squad. Again, he could be one of the exceptions that ball but play in an obscure league. THere is only one spot for a Power Forward and he would be challenged by an Ideye now playing in the LaLiga and if he pops in goals, you just never know. Emenike[/color] (YES EMENIKE!) could just be a major hit in the Greek League and Champions League.

2nd striker spot would go to the fast and sharp strikers like Nacho (if not playing a support role), Kayode and one chance, one goal striker like Dessers.

Simon Moses: He's played well and capped it up with a goal but dude is not deadly enough. We need another dangerous "REAL Moses" on the field. Onyekwuru was joint highest goalscorer in Belgium last season and he played majorly from the left. ROhr would call him back. For sure. Peter Olayinka is the hottest player in Belgium right now and he plays on the left wing (can play left back too).

MIDFIELD
The midfield seems to be coming along. One thing is clear, once fit, Rohr would play both Mikel and Onazi. ROhr likes a very mobile midfield, playing a box to box midfielder and a DM.

MIkel: Captain Fantastic. Hasnt played beyond 65mins for Nigeria under Rohr. Mikel claims he isnt back to full fitness due to his long term injury in China. But by the worldcup, would he be able to play beyond 30mins? We need a capable starter in this position. Etebo, Iwobi and maybe Joel Obi are players that come to mind.

Onazi: Rohrs engine room for cleaning up in the midfield. I believe Onazi covers so much ground to cover for MIkel's fitness or age and that is why ROhr always plaays him. Onazi has competition as Etebo is pushing for that spot while Joel Obi might just own it.

Ndidi: Covers alot of ground, Strong on the ball and a good passer. Ndidi started the move that led to Nigeria's second goal in the 4-0 drubbing. He would grow in that position and own it. Esiti would def get invited again by Rohr and would give Ndidi a run for his money. I'm not yet convinced on the Fake Mikel (Agu).

DEFENCE
NIgeria's defence is strong but can it withstand barrages from the french, argentine or even Belgian team? We dont seem to be producing enough defenders.

General Balogun: Boss! Why is he still in Germany and even chopping bench alot of times? I really dont know.
Awaziem has taken it up 2 notches to the french league, playing for an accomplished manager. If he stays fit, and plays regualrly till December, dude might just give Balogun a run for his money. As for Omeruo he is a Daewoo Racer compared to the S300 (Balogun).

Troost-Ekong: Very good defender. Nothing goes past him in the air, very quick, atheltic and strong. but he is soo poor with the ball at his feet. Rohr would have to work hard to cover for his lapses. Unfortunately, his backup (Omeruo) is not inspiring though this might just be his season.

Shehu Abdullai: I like him. But he needs to get out of cyprus fast. THough he could be 1 of the usual exceptions that teams usually have playing in obscure leagues but remain a baller like Emenalo in 94. He has Ola AIna and Ebuehi to compete with. Who wins? BUt can a Ebuehi curtail a rampaging Dembele or Frank Ribery?

Elderson: Hmmm. As much as he has hardly been superb for naija, he is vastly experienced and is currently having a good run of games in Tier 2 league (turkey). Its hard to do away with experience especially for coaches who dont like to make wholesome changes to their first team squads like Rohr. His replacement has to be an overlord in that position like Babayaro and udeze. If Nura Abdullahi can stay fit, he would get that spot in Roma and snatch that role from Elderson. Amuzie is also lurking around (lets see if he brings the roof down as Zurich), while the hottest player in Belgium right now can also play as a left back.

GOALKEEPER:
We need Enyeama!
Ezenwa: been good so far but jury still out on him. If a Messi bend one banana shot, hin go fit catch am? He doesnt recieve those in the NPFL.
Alampasu from No choice to 2nd choice GK at Fareinse. Any kpem happens to the first choice GK and he might just own that spot. As for Ozoho, the 3rd choice GK for Deportivo, can he rise to the top in his club? One thing is clear, GoalKeepers need regular game time to stay well tuned.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

You said "You entire analysis is flawed and lazy. You failed to take the extra step of identifying each player you want removed for each one you want to add!"

I beg to totally disagree with you. While I identified "potentially" top players, i mentioned 3 positions of concern based on personnel from the starting 11. I did not advocate for outright dropping of players but suggested better players and more competition in those 3 positions and i did this considering the fact that we dont have all data available to the gaffer.

Again, my other man grouse in this analysis is LACK of almost as good backups in certain positions or for certain players, E.G Moses

You said "You also failed to recognize that our team is growing in strength"

You must have missed this in the piece i wrote "his Super Eagles would dominate Africa but wouldnt go past the 2nd round of the World cup while the target is to win it. The team is getting itself together but its not a killer squad yet.

You said "as several combinations of two players are playing excellently as a combination. For example, Balogun and Ekong and the two moses! Hence the fallacy of your Moses simon dig."

Becuase something works well, you wouldnt try and make it work better or even best?

You said "Your colomental insistence that each SE player must be playing at big leagues in Europe is laughable at best, given that our much loved 1994 wc team did not meet such requirements, and our best players in the Cameroon war were Mikel and Ighalo who plays where again?"

Again, you fail to notice where i wrote in this same article that the low league players in the team could be an exception. for Ighalo, i wrote "Again, he could be one of the exceptions that ball but play in an obscure league.". I totally acknowledge that having 1 or 2 low league players in your starting 11 is an exception and YES, such should remain an exception, rather than the rule.

And like in other posts i have made, if a player is in a tier 2 league (belgium, turket etc) they should play very good games regualrly, and if they are in a tier 3 league or lower (Austria, Egypt etc) they should be the best like Kayode in Austria.

You said "given that our much loved 1994 wc team did not meet such requirements,"

.Yekini - V.Setubal, Portugal D1 (He was the highest goalscorer in the Portuguese league)
.Amokachi - Brugge, Belgium D1 (Brugge were HOT in europe. Plaed in CL and he was one of the most popular players in Belgium)
.Finidi - Ajax, Netherlands D1
.Amuneke - Zamalek, Egypt D1 (Was the hottest player in Egypt and Africa)
.Siasia - Nantes, France D1.
.Oliseh - Liege, Belgium D1 (Was very hot in Belgium and Already had a transfer to Regiana in place before the world cup)
.Mike Emenalo - Eintracht Tier - Amatuer league in Germany. And this, was the exception in the team. He was only supposed to be a backup
.CHidi Nwanu - Anderlecht, Belgium D1
.Uche Okechuchukwu - Fenerbache, Turkey D1 (And they were extremely popular in Europe)
.Austin Equavon - Kortrijk, Belgium D1
.Peter Rufai - SC Farense, POrtugal -D1

SOme Back ups where (See HOT BENCH):
JAyJAy Okocha - Eintracht Frankfurt, Germany D1
Mutiu Adepoju - Real Sociedad, Spain D1
Ben Iroha - Vitesse, Netherlands D1
Ikpeba aka PRINCE OF MONACO - Monaco, France D1
Efan Ekoku - Norwich City, England D1 (Now Premiership) and he banged in 16 goals.
Ezeugo - Hungary (another exception)
Oliha - Clubless (3rd exception)

SO to make it past the 2nd round to the semi, our players have to be hotter than the 94 team. Majority of them played top flight club football.

Finally, its an analysis and not a final conclusion.

It would be nice if you could read such articles and comprehend so that you don't end up making flawless and lazy responses.

Cmoke wrote:Oga,
You entire analysis is flawed and lazy. You failed to take the extra step of identifying each player you want removed for each one you want to add!

You also failed to recognize that our team is growing in strength as several combinations of two players are playing excellently as a combination. For example, Balogun and Ekong and the two moses! Hence the fallacy of your Moses simon dig.

Your colomental insistence that each SE player must be playing at big leagues in Europe is laughable at best, given that our much loved 1994 wc team did not meet such requirements, and our best players in the Cameroon war were Mikel and Ighalo who plays where again ?

Cmoke

chief nfachairman wrote:This Super Eagles would dominate Africa but wouldnt go past the 2nd round of the World cup while the target is to win it. The team is getting itself together but its not a killer squad yet. It has to be a team that dispenses away opponents with ease and make the big teams like Brazil and Germany raise an eyebrow. 1994-97 team did it. We need change of personnel in some poistions and we need outrightly legit backups to some of our main players.

Rohr is still working on his team and their style of play. For all you know, he might totally depart from the current style and formation. He has played 2 different formations in this qualifier. He would perfect it. He is a meticulous and well organized man. He is knowledgeable and very tactical.

FORWARD
V.Moses: key man risk. When he is not playing, our attack is ordinary. We need to find a legit backup to him that can turn the game around when playing. Samuel Kalu is outrageously technical and a dangerous ball player.

Ighalo: Our best striker should not be playing in China. Unless Ighalo scores in every game for Nigeria he would not make the final WC squad. Again, he could be one of the exceptions that ball but play in an obscure league. THere is only one spot for a Power Forward and he would be challenged by an Ideye now playing in the LaLiga and if he pops in goals, you just never know. Emenike[/color] (YES EMENIKE!) could just be a major hit in the Greek League and Champions League.

2nd striker spot would go to the fast and sharp strikers like Nacho (if not playing a support role), Kayode and one chance, one goal striker like Dessers.

Simon Moses: He's played well and capped it up with a goal but dude is not deadly enough. We need another dangerous "REAL Moses" on the field. Onyekwuru was joint highest goalscorer in Belgium last season and he played majorly from the left. ROhr would call him back. For sure. Peter Olayinka is the hottest player in Belgium right now and he plays on the left wing (can play left back too).

MIDFIELD
The midfield seems to be coming along. One thing is clear, once fit, Rohr would play both Mikel and Onazi. ROhr likes a very mobile midfield, playing a box to box midfielder and a DM.

MIkel: Captain Fantastic. Hasnt played beyond 65mins for Nigeria under Rohr. Mikel claims he isnt back to full fitness due to his long term injury in China. But by the worldcup, would he be able to play beyond 30mins? We need a capable starter in this position. Etebo, Iwobi and maybe Joel Obi are players that come to mind.

Onazi: Rohrs engine room for cleaning up in the midfield. I believe Onazi covers so much ground to cover for MIkel's fitness or age and that is why ROhr always plaays him. Onazi has competition as Etebo is pushing for that spot while Joel Obi might just own it.

Ndidi: Covers alot of ground, Strong on the ball and a good passer. Ndidi started the move that led to Nigeria's second goal in the 4-0 drubbing. He would grow in that position and own it. Esiti would def get invited again by Rohr and would give Ndidi a run for his money. I'm not yet convinced on the Fake Mikel (Agu).

DEFENCE
NIgeria's defence is strong but can it withstand barrages from the french, argentine or even Belgian team? We dont seem to be producing enough defenders.

General Balogun: Boss! Why is he still in Germany and even chopping bench alot of times? I really dont know.
Awaziem has taken it up 2 notches to the french league, playing for an accomplished manager. If he stays fit, and plays regualrly till December, dude might just give Balogun a run for his money. As for Omeruo he is a Daewoo Racer compared to the S300 (Balogun).

Troost-Ekong: Very good defender. Nothing goes past him in the air, very quick, atheltic and strong. but he is soo poor with the ball at his feet. Rohr would have to work hard to cover for his lapses. Unfortunately, his backup (Omeruo) is not inspiring though this might just be his season.

Shehu Abdullai: I like him. But he needs to get out of cyprus fast. THough he could be 1 of the usual exceptions that teams usually have playing in obscure leagues but remain a baller like Emenalo in 94. He has Ola AIna and Ebuehi to compete with. Who wins? BUt can a Ebuehi curtail a rampaging Dembele or Frank Ribery?

Elderson: Hmmm. As much as he has hardly been superb for naija, he is vastly experienced and is currently having a good run of games in Tier 2 league (turkey). Its hard to do away with experience especially for coaches who dont like to make wholesome changes to their first team squads like Rohr. His replacement has to be an overlord in that position like Babayaro and udeze. If Nura Abdullahi can stay fit, he would get that spot in Roma and snatch that role from Elderson. Amuzie is also lurking around (lets see if he brings the roof down as Zurich), while the hottest player in Belgium right now can also play as a left back.

GOALKEEPER:
We need Enyeama!
Ezenwa: been good so far but jury still out on him. If a Messi bend one banana shot, hin go fit catch am? He doesnt recieve those in the NPFL.
Alampasu from No choice to 2nd choice GK at Fareinse. Any kpem happens to the first choice GK and he might just own that spot. As for Ozoho, the 3rd choice GK for Deportivo, can he rise to the top in his club? One thing is clear, GoalKeepers need regular game time to stay well tuned.