Ekong & Balogun...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Shownoja
Egg
Egg
Ekong & Balogun...

Post by Shownoja »

Remind me of Eboigbe and Omokaro. Those boys don't take crap
To stop trying is to start dying
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Ekong & Balogun...

Post by Bigpokey24 »

They both have serious speed.. I could go on to say if they both keep it up the could reach the levels of Keshi, Yobo, Chukwu, Lucas Radebe, Nurideen Naibet, West, Sammy Kuffour, and some African greats
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

Problem is Balogun is 28. In 2-3 years time now, he may not be playing the way he does now.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

naijaguy wrote:Problem is Balogun is 28. In 2-3 years time now, he may not be playing the way he does now.
Cbs, do last longer and bobo is actually really 28
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

Defenders tend to get better in their 30s
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

They both could do with playing more "set" (monkey post)... I get nervous when they have to play the ball or pass...

Defensively, they are solid.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Cellular wrote:They both could do with playing more "set" (monkey post)... I get nervous when they have to play the ball or pass...

Passing the ball out of the back is a major weakness in Ekong's game. Balogun is just fine.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mystic wrote:
Cellular wrote:They both could do with playing more "set" (monkey post)... I get nervous when they have to play the ball or pass...

Passing the ball out of the back is a major weakness in Ekong's game. Balogun is just fine.
Finally, people are noticing the weakness in his game that I had long pointed out.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mystic wrote:

Finally, people are noticing the weakness in his game that I had long pointed out. Balogun is better at that but not by much. However, Balogun makes it up in other phases. When these guys are harassed they will turn the ball over or boot it out as far away as possible.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

BTW why is Balogun ALWAYS covering for Echiejile like Echiejile doesn't exist?
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Tbite wrote:BTW why is Balogun ALWAYS covering for Echiejile like Echiejile doesn't exist?
cause he is a weak link, and I'm sure the players all know this and politely do the double work of covering his lapses.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

kpom
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Sir V wrote:

kpom
The more they play with these set of players, they will develop these skills. Balogun is showing better ball skills already and Ekong will follow suit, but to be honest, we need them to be no nonsense defenders first before ball carriers. On that score, they are more than solid.
Last edited by Shownoja on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

They've both been great.

Balogun is better than Ekong, and I'll settle for Ekong just booting the ball forward and not trying fancy passes out of the back.

Ekong has been good though, so I won't knock him too much.

Even Echiejile was better in this series. The fact that he is now playing regular football in Turkey and he stayed back throughout the series (to instructions I think) helped. He was atrocious against Bafana. Shehu was doing most of the overlapping from the back & Moses Simon and Victor Moses switched wings a lot to misx things up.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Balogun was awesome with his defensive headers and even carried the ball out of the heart of defence on a few occasions, drawing fouls in the process
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Shownoja wrote:
Sir V wrote:

kpom
The more they play with these set of players, they will develop these skills. Balogun is showing better ball skills already and Ekong will follow suit, but to be honest, we need them to be no nonsense defenders first before ball carriers. On that score, they are more than solid.
Agreed! Was pointing out aspects of their game they need to work on to improve.

If me way dey couch fit see am, other pipul with beta ball sense go see am too... and will find ways to take advantage of it.

Moreover, I want them to improve so that they can get better opportunities. Yobo used to be a ball playing CD before he went to England and adopted the police game... it served him well though.

I realize not everyone can be like Keshi or Sofolowe.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Tbite wrote:BTW why is Balogun ALWAYS covering for Echiejile like Echiejile doesn't exist?
He does not exist.... :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Balogun is a lot better than I thought. Quick, strong and aware. He is also comfortable with the ball at his feet. Ekong on the other hand should be limited to booting the ball. He is a strong defender but his passing in Yaounde was terrible.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Balogun's ball handling is way better than Ekong and ok for a CB. But Ekong whoa! His passing play is attrocious, he could barely make a 10 yard pass. During the Olympics i thought it was just a nerve thing, i thought it was because he was nervous so i gave him a pass. But over these two legs i observed he was never comfortable with the ball,he relishes the opportunity to send a long one away rsther than a simple pass. Yesterday was even worse,on two occassions he blatantly passed the ball to cameroon players ,in dangerous places as well..in what ought to have been a simple pass.

Such would be punished against better oppositions.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

oloye wrote:Balogun's ball handling is way better than Ekong and ok for a CB. But Ekong whoa! His passing play is attrocious, he could barely make a 10 yard pass. During the Olympics i thought it was just a nerve thing, i thought it was because he was nervous so i gave him a pass. But over these two legs i observed he was never comfortable with the ball,he relishes the opportunity to send a long one away rsther than a simple pass. Yesterday was even worse,on two occassions he blatantly passed the ball to cameroon players ,in dangerous places as well..in what ought to have been a simple pass.

In that case, he should just be encouraged to boot it anywhere belle face style especially when we're under pressure. What I like about their pairing is that they can hold their own against the physical type players. In fact, early in the second half, Ekong recovered absolutely beautifully to cover for Balogun and force a corner in what could have been very dangerous play for Cameroon. They really brought memories of Omokaro and Eboigbe flooding back. Those guys were raw defenders first and foremost.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

While Balogun has the better vision, tackling ability and positioning sense, I think Ekong with all his shortcomings has pace and agility and complements him well. The sum of their whole is surely greater than the sum of their parts. They are building a strong partnership and it will definitely get better.

Ekongs primary responsibility is to defend and he is slightly above average at that. We have enough personnel on the pitch to take the ball off him to do the necessary..
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

oloye wrote:Balogun's ball handling is way better than Ekong and ok for a CB. But Ekong whoa! His passing play is attrocious, he could barely make a 10 yard pass. During the Olympics i thought it was just a nerve thing, i thought it was because he was nervous so i gave him a pass. But over these two legs i observed he was never comfortable with the ball,he relishes the opportunity to send a long one away rsther than a simple pass. Yesterday was even worse,on two occassions he blatantly passed the ball to cameroon players ,in dangerous places as well..in what ought to have been a simple pass.

:agree:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

... because games - like many things in life - is a "team work."
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.