SE GOING FORWARD: ZAMBIA AND BEYOND

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
SE GOING FORWARD: ZAMBIA AND BEYOND

Post by vancity eagle »

We are all extatic at the fortunes of our beloved SE. Rohr and the boys have done well to get 4 points off of Cameroon and we are seeing some of the best potential SE has had in a long time. Our prospects in Russia, God willing us to make it, look mouth watering.

We are in a very good place, but there is room for lots of improvement, and even though Rohr has done a very good job of instilling competition for places, he needs to do so even more.

The boys cannot take Zambia lightly at all. All the best hands must be on deck and we must destroy them in Uyo.

IMO Rohr is too rigid and safe. Just because we got the results does not mean he should not be looking to improve the starting 11 and indeed the 23 man squad. The fact that he started Echijele, who was by far our worst player over the 2 matches, shows me that he is too scared to make the changes necessary for us to really get to our full potential. I hope he does not continue this trend going forward, because there are many players who need to be blended into this squad, and a few even in the first 11. Here are my conclusions at the end of this Cameroon series.

1. Ezenewa is a decent backup but he is not good enough. I like him over Akpeyi but Enyeama is definately needed back in this team. Would any of you be comfortable with Ezenewa starting against our old pals Argentina ?

2. Mikel, Moses, Balogun are currently our automatic starters. No ifs ands or buts, nobody can currently knock any of these 3 out of the starting lineup. Everyone else has legitimate competition to their spot as far as I am concerned.

3. Odion Ighalo is our best target striker, his hold up play, trickery and experience are something we need in Russia. I always stood up for this guy on this forum even though most were rubbishing him. I hope all the haters can now choke on the humble pie he has served. I think the experiment with Nacho as a lone striker may be over. Unless Nacho hits incredible club form he may have to be a bench player in a 433, or somehow used as a AM or second striker in a different formation.

4. Our wingbacks are still problem areas. Yes Shehu has stepped up big time and is a very decent option, but I feel we may be able to do better with Nura Abdullahi from Roma. Aina I would rather immedietly be used to replace Echijele. Echiejele should be backup LB from now on, he is not it.

5. Moses Simon is a decent bench player but not good enough to start for SE, although IMO he is definately better than Musa. We need to look at the likes of Iwobi, Success, Kayode, Onyekuru, Bonaventure to lay claim to the other wing spot. Rohr needs to stop wasting time with Musa, it is a dead experiment and waste of time.

6. Mikel needs a deputy AM. We need to look at Iwobi in that position as well as Joel Obi, Raheem Lawal, Sone Aluko, and also monitor Kelechi Nwakali's progress at VVV Venlo. With all these players I think we will be fine.

7. SE definately needs Joel Obi back into the mix. He can play LB as well as challenge any of Onazi or Ndidi for a starting position alongside Mikel in our midfield.

This is the squad I would like to see vs Zambia

GOALKEEPERS

Vincent Enyeama
Ikechukwu Ezenewa
Dele Alampasu

DEFENDERS

Leon Balogun
William Troost Ekong
Chidozie Awaziem
Kenneth Omeruo
Ola Aina
Shehu Abdullahi
Elderson Echijele

MIDFIELDERS

Mikel Obi
Ogenyi Onazi
Wilfired Ndidi
Etebo
Alex Iwobi
Raheem Lawal
Joel Obi

ATTACKERS

Odion Ighalo
Kelechi Iheanacho
Victor Moses
Moses Simon
Isaac Success
Henry Onyekuru

STANDBY

Dennis Bonaventure
Cyriel Dessers
Mikel Agu
Anderson Esiti
Kayode
highbury
Egg
Egg
Re: SE GOING FORWARD: ZAMBIA AND BEYOND

Post by highbury »

vancity eagle wrote:We are all extatic at the fortunes of our beloved SE. Rohr and the boys have done well to get 4 points off of Cameroon and we are seeing some of the best potential SE has had in a long time. Our prospects in Russia, God willing us to make it, look mouth watering.

We are in a very good place, but there is room for lots of improvement, and even though Rohr has done a very good job of instilling competition for places, he needs to do so even more.

The boys cannot take Zambia lightly at all. All the best hands must be on deck and we must destroy them in Uyo.

IMO Rohr is too rigid and safe. Just because we got the results does not mean he should not be looking to improve the starting 11 and indeed the 23 man squad. The fact that he started Echijele, who was by far our worst player over the 2 matches, shows me that he is too scared to make the changes necessary for us to really get to our full potential. I hope he does not continue this trend going forward, because there are many players who need to be blended into this squad, and a few even in the first 11. Here are my conclusions at the end of this Cameroon series.

1. Ezenewa is a decent backup but he is not good enough. I like him over Akpeyi but Enyeama is definately needed back in this team. Would any of you be comfortable with Ezenewa starting against our old pals Argentina ?

2. Mikel, Moses, Balogun are currently our automatic starters. No ifs ands or buts, nobody can currently knock any of these 3 out of the starting lineup. Everyone else has legitimate competition to their spot as far as I am concerned.

3. Odion Ighalo is our best target striker, his hold up play, trickery and experience are something we need in Russia. I always stood up for this guy on this forum even though most were rubbishing him. I hope all the haters can now choke on the humble pie he has served. I think the experiment with Nacho as a lone striker may be over. Unless Nacho hits incredible club form he may have to be a bench player in a 433, or somehow used as a AM or second striker in a different formation.

4. Our wingbacks are still problem areas. Yes Shehu has stepped up big time and is a very decent option, but I feel we may be able to do better with Nura Abdullahi from Roma. Aina I would rather immedietly be used to replace Echijele. Echiejele should be backup LB from now on, he is not it.

5. Moses Simon is a decent bench player but not good enough to start for SE, although IMO he is definately better than Musa. We need to look at the likes of Iwobi, Success, Kayode, Onyekuru, Bonaventure to lay claim to the other wing spot. Rohr needs to stop wasting time with Musa, it is a dead experiment and waste of time.

6. Mikel needs a deputy AM. We need to look at Iwobi in that position as well as Joel Obi, Raheem Lawal, Sone Aluko, and also monitor Kelechi Nwakali's progress at VVV Venlo. With all these players I think we will be fine.

7. SE definately needs Joel Obi back into the mix. He can play LB as well as challenge any of Onazi or Ndidi for a starting position alongside Mikel in our midfield.

GOALKEEPERS

Vincent Enyeama
Ikechukwu Ezenewa
Dele Alampasu

DEFENDERS

Leon Balogun
William Troost Ekong
Chidozie Awaziem
Kenneth Omeruo
Ola Aina
Shehu Abdullahi
Elderson Echijele

MIDFIELDERS

Mikel Obi
Ogenyi Onazi
Wilfired Ndidi
Etebo
Alex Iwobi
Raheem Lawal
Joel Obi

ATTACKERS

Odion Ighalo
Kelechi Iheanacho
Victor Moses
Moses Simon
Isaac Success
Henry Onyekuru

STANDBY

Dennis Bonaventure
Cyriel Dessers
Mikel Agu
Anderson Esiti
Kayode
These players don't put a defensive shift as much a Simon. Yes, some may be better going forward. But defense first. That is how we can get far in the World Cup if we make it there
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

To look at how we should be thinking of starting would be this

********************************ENYEAMA***********************************

SHEHU****************BALOGUN***************TROOST********************AINA

************************ONAZI***********NDIDI******************************

*******************************MIKEL****************************************

SIMON**************************************************************MOSES

*********************************IGHALO************************************

SUBS

IHEANACHO
JOEL OBI
IWOBI

IVE STARTED SIMON OVER IWOBI BECAUSE OF HIS DEFENSIVE HUSTLE.

JOEL OBI COMES IN FOR MIKEL.

IWOBI AND NACHO COME IN TO ADD TO THE ATTACK
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

vancity eagle wrote:We are all extatic at the fortunes of our beloved SE. Rohr and the boys have done well to get 4 points off of Cameroon and we are seeing some of the best potential SE has had in a long time. Our prospects in Russia, God willing us to make it, look mouth watering.

GOALKEEPERS

Vincent Enyeama
Ikechukwu Ezenewa
Dele Alampasu

DEFENDERS

Leon Balogun
William Troost Ekong
Chidozie Awaziem
Kenneth Omeruo
Ola Aina
Shehu Abdullahi
Elderson Echijele

MIDFIELDERS

Mikel Obi
Ogenyi Onazi
Wilfired Ndidi
Etebo
Alex Iwobi
Raheem Lawal
Joel Obi

ATTACKERS

Odion Ighalo
Kelechi Iheanacho
Victor Moses
Moses Simon
Isaac Success
Henry Onyekuru

STANDBY

Dennis Bonaventure
Cyriel Dessers
Mikel Agu
Anderson Esiti
Kayode
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
My one notable exception is Isaac Success.
We need to find out what is going on with him.
Totally underwhelming since his move from Spain.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

I agree to the letter.

Hopefully Isaac Success regains composure in Spain.
I know most people think that ship has sailed but I keep thinking that Chinedu Obasi, who has gotten past his injury issues, would be a great option from the bench. He used to be everything we hoped Moses Simon and Ahmed Musa would be.

We need to monitor Kelechi Nwakali, Victor Osimhen, Nura Abdullahi, Sadiq Umar, Moses Odubajo, Orji Okonkwo, David Nwokolor (a starting goalkeeper in Europe at the age of 20), Stanley Amuzie (simply because we are in drastic need of a left back)

Second tier: Samuel Kalu, Peter Olayinka, Theopilus Solomon, Ibrahim Alhassan, Paul Onuachu, Samuel Chukweuze, Musa Yahaya, Taiwo Awoniyi, Shehu Abdullahi, Samuel Adegbenro, Chidi Nwakali, Ifeanyi Matthew, Junior Pius (a defender)

I think the obvious problem area is left back. Elderson is not cutting it, Juwon Oshaniwa's career has plummeted, I don't think Kingsley Madu will ever be of the required level. Ola Aina might be good, but its always a right back playing a makeshift leftback role. I'm thinking Maroof Youssef should be given another shot, another option might be Torunarigha if he commits to Nigeria.

I for one think left back is one position Rohr needs to look locally. Gabriel Wassa needs to get a call up.

I really wonder what happened to Samuel Okon. He looked quality...
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

What is happening to Obinna Nwobodo in Hungary?
That guy is another great midfielder in the making.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

marutimon wrote:I agree to the letter.

I know most people think that ship has sailed but I keep thinking that Chinedu Obasi, who has gotten past his injury issues, would be a great option from the bench. He used to be everything we hoped Moses Simon and Ahmed Musa would be.

We need to monitor Kelechi Nwakali, Victor Osimhen, Nura Abdullahi, Sadiq Umar, Moses Odubajo, Orji Okonkwo, David Nwokolor (a starting goalkeeper in Europe at the age of 20), Stanley Amuzie (simply because we are in drastic need of a left back)

Second tier: Samuel Kalu, Peter Olayinka, Theopilus Solomon, Ibrahim Alhassan, Paul Onuachu, Samuel Chukweuze, Musa Yahaya, Taiwo Awoniyi, Shehu Abdullahi, Samuel Adegbenro, Chidi Nwakali, Ifeanyi Matthew, Junior Pius (a defender)

I think the obvious problem area is left back. Elderson is not cutting it, Juwon Oshaniwa's career has plummeted, I don't think Kingsley Madu will ever be of the required level. Ola Aina might be good, but its always a right back playing a makeshift leftback role. I'm thinking Maroof Youssef should be given another shot, another option might be Torunarigha if he commits to Nigeria.

I for one think left back is one position Rohr needs to look locally. Gabriel Wassa needs to get a call up.

Did he perform poorly when invited?
Can't remember whether he even played sef.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Damunk wrote:What is happening to Obinna Nwobodo in Hungary?
That guy is another great midfielder in the making.
He's in Hungary. Unless that changes he's not in contention.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Damunk wrote:
marutimon wrote:I agree to the letter.

Did he perform poorly when invited?
Can't remember whether he even played sef.
Maarouf Youssef? Didn't even get to start.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

If anyone must criticise Elderson Uwa Echiejile over his performance against Cameroon, at least show us the stats where crosses came from his side and led to goals against SE. Otherwise keep schtuuum. But for a penalty, we had a back 4 and GK that kept a clean sheet in Uyo and fell only to a single blemish. Uwa actually did well facing the incredibly gifted dribbling wizard, Bassogog, limiting him to a handful of crosses.

When we led Egypt 1-0 in Kaduna under Sunday Oliseh during our botched CAN qualifiers, the back 3 kept a single line only for the daft Stanley Amuzie LB to keep Sallah offside from which we were duly punished. When Uwa commits that kind of blunder, folks should then come out with their hammer and nails and crucify him. I expect Rohr to keep that back 4 intact going into the World Cup.

For me, Ezenwa is just too short for the SE. He is shorter than most of the back 4. Although Enyeama too is short, at least he covers with experience. Ezenwa will struggle against set pieces against giant attackers.

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Goldleaf wrote:If anyone must criticise Elderson Uwa Echiejile over his performance against Cameroon, at least show us the stats where crosses came from his side and led to goals against SE. Otherwise keep schtuuum. But for a penalty, we had a back 4 and GK that kept a clean sheet in Uyo and fell only to a single blemish. Uwa actually did well facing the incredibly gifted dribbling wizard, Bassogog, limiting him to a handful of crosses.

When we led Egypt 1-0 in Kaduna under Sunday Oliseh during our botched CAN qualifiers, the back 3 kept a single line only for the daft Stanley Amuzie LB to keep Sallah offside from which we were duly punished. When Uwa commits that kind of blunder, folks should then come out with their hammer and nails and crucify him. I expect Rohr to keep that back 4 intact going into the World Cup.
Nope, Uwa kept showing Bassogog onto his stronger foot instead of trying to get the attacker onto his weaker foot on the outside. Basic stuff.

Anyway, Uwa's form for the SE has been average for a while now.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:If anyone must criticise Elderson Uwa Echiejile over his performance against Cameroon, at least show us the stats where crosses came from his side and led to goals against SE. Otherwise keep schtuuum. But for a penalty, we had a back 4 and GK that kept a clean sheet in Uyo and fell only to a single blemish. Uwa actually did well facing the incredibly gifted dribbling wizard, Bassogog, limiting him to a handful of crosses.

Nope, Uwa kept showing Bassogog onto his stronger foot instead of trying to get the attacker onto his weaker foot on the outside. Basic stuff.

Well observed. Uwa showed Bassogog to his left foot stopping him from getting to the bye-line or dribbling his way into the box. He left a little space allowing Bassogog to dispose of the ball. An inexperienced LB will run into Bassogog, get dribbled and cause danger. Uwa did the same thing an LB should do marking Messi. Allow Messi get rid of the ball quickly than dwell longer on the ball.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

If you listen to the commentary Echiejiele is the only left footed player in the team, We needed balance, We are not going to play Aina in his position, we need left footed players for the sake of balance
Oya back to the matter
open and close
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Goldleaf wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Well observed. Uwa showed Bassogog to his left foot stopping him from getting to the bye-line or dribbling his way into the box. He left a little space allowing Bassogog to dispose of the ball. An inexperienced LB will run into Bassogog, get dribbled and cause danger. Uwa did the same thing an LB should do marking Messi. Allow Messi get rid of the ball quickly than dwell longer on the ball.
Disagree, sir. Yes, it stopped him from getting to the by-line but he doesn't need to get there to put in a cross. If anything you want to take Bassogog to the by-line as it'll likely force him to cross the ball with his weaker right foot.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Disagree, sir. Yes, it stopped him from getting to the by-line but he doesn't need to get there to put in a cross. If anything you want to take Bassogog to the by-line as it'll likely force him to cross the ball with his weaker right foot.
I disagree again, sir. If he gets to put in an early cross, everybody gets to see it and prepare to deal with it. If he dribbles Uwa, trouble. If he gets to bye-line, he may still have enough on his weak right foot to deliver a telling cross. This is where Uwa's experience really counts.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

We need Oloye to adjudicate this one. Though his advice might just be to scatter to Bassogog. :lol:

I play defence and I'm always looking to cut off the angle for a key pass and show an attacker onto their weaker foot.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

The YeyeMan wrote:We need Oloye to adjudicate this one. Though his advice might just be to scatter to Bassogog. :lol:

I play defence and I'm always looking to cut off the angle for a key pass and show an attacker onto their weaker foot.
You guys keep picking on Echiejile for no reason even though he has not committed any blunder. In fact, he is one of the unsung heroes of the game.
We all know that oloye does not like Echiejiele so that's a no-brainer, btw you are yanning rubbish.
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I never understood why many of you continue to pillory Echiejile. Maybe it's the left back position. It's the same way Babayaro was abused on this forum . Then it was Taye Taiwo, then Udeze. The fact that Echiejile has started for Nigeria in the same position under 4 different coaches should tell you something. One thing no one can accuse Rohr of since taking over the team is starting any player on sentiment. The guy is starting because he is the best we have at that position, period.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

1naija wrote:I never understood why many of you continue to pillory Echiejile. Maybe it's the left back position. It's the same way Babayaro was abused on this forum . Then it was Taye Taiwo, then Udeze. The fact that Echiejile has started for Nigeria in the same position under 4 different coaches should tell you something. One thing no one can accuse Rohr of since taking over the team is starting any player on sentiment. The guy is starting because he is the best we have at that position, period.
The best we have in that position isn't that good. The fact he's started under several coaches tells you about the lack of quality we have in that position.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

The YeyeMan wrote:
1naija wrote:I never understood why many of you continue to pillory Echiejile. Maybe it's the left back position. It's the same way Babayaro was abused on this forum . Then it was Taye Taiwo, then Udeze. The fact that Echiejile has started for Nigeria in the same position under 4 different coaches should tell you something. One thing no one can accuse Rohr of since taking over the team is starting any player on sentiment. The guy is starting because he is the best we have at that position, period.
The best we have in that position isn't that good. The fact he's started under several coaches tells you about the lack of quality we have in that position.
we dont have many left footed player he was the only one in the team. We need to encourage our players to try playing with both.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Prince wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
we dont have many left footed player he was the only one in the team. We need to encourage our players to try playing with both.
All the more reason to have another look at Joel Obi (and arguably Sone Aluko for that matter) as left footed players who can provide balance.

As for the left back role, I'm not opposed to giving Aina a run there - Azpilicueta excelled there for Chelsea despite being right-footed; and it's time Uwa faced some stronger competition for his position in the team.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

marutimon wrote:Hopefully Isaac Success regains composure in Spain.
Still at Watford last I checked - I don't think he's even made the bench in their league games.....
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Or it tells that he is actually better than internet coaches think he is. Is there lack of depth at his position at his club also?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.