South Africa-Senegal World Cup qualifier to be replayed

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

niyi
Egg
Egg
South Africa-Senegal World Cup qualifier to be replayed

Post by niyi »

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=201 ... 07241.html
The Bureau for the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers ordered a replay of the qualification match between South Africa and Senegal held on 12 November 2016. This decision follows the confirmation of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to uphold the lifetime ban of match referee, Jospeh Lamptey, for match manipulation, the ruling imposed by the FIFA Disciplinary and Appeal Committees. The match will be replayed within the November 2017 international window, with the exact date to be confirmed in due course.

As stated in the FIFA World Cup regulations, this decision shall come into effect immediately but shall be subject to confirmation by the Organising Committee for FIFA Competitions at its next meeting, scheduled for 14 September.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: South Africa-Senegal World Cup qualifier to be replayed

Post by Scipio Africanus »

While they are at it, can they replay the Zambia-Algeria qualifiers? Both legs? Not asking for much hia. :tic:

Wha choo looking at?!
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Ridiculous.

The Referee was licensed by CAF and FIFA at the time he handled the match. He has since been punished.

You cannot just order a replay when it was not crowd trouble, or something that the home side did. This is like opening Pandora's box.

Unless the South Africans can be shown to have done something illegal, like bribing the Breda.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

That Lamptey must be Rawlings' friend.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

It's setting an interesting precedence. I'm afraid eople will start digging up dirt on refs and asking for replays of matches long played. Hopefully there are limitations.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

I think this may be an interesting precedence that FIFA is about to set. I wonder how players will react to extra games and such.
Last edited by Cito on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

truetalk wrote:Ridiculous.

The Referee was licensed by CAF and FIFA at the time he handled the match. He has since been punished.

You cannot just order a replay when it was not crowd trouble, or something that the home side did. This is like opening Pandora's box.

Unless the South Africans can be shown to have done something illegal, like bribing the Breda.
:?: :?:
How can you let the result stand? Where's the justice or redress in that?
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Cito wrote:I think this may be an interesting precedence that FIFA is about to set. I wonder how players will react to extra games and such.
While it's really questionable and suspicious why a replay was ordered, there has actually a precedent before this one.
In 2005, Fifa set a precedent when they ordered a replay of the 2006 World Cup qualifier between Asian countries Uzbekistan and Bahrain.

Nicknamed the White Wolves, Uzbekistan had defeated The Red of Bahrain 1-0 in the Asian zone play-off encounter first-leg clash.

The match had to be replayed after a refereeing mistake involving a penalty incident which had been awarded to Uzbekistan, who then called for an investigation.

But Fifa declared the result invalid and ordered a replay which angered Uzbekistan. Japanese referee Toshimitsu Yoshida, who officiated the game, was suspended at international level by the Asian Football Confederation.

http://www.goal.com/en-za/news/fifa-cou ... 6qk98v0p0q
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

anointed wrote:
Cito wrote:I think this may be an interesting precedence that FIFA is about to set. I wonder how players will react to extra games and such.
While it's really questionable and suspicious why a replay was ordered, there has actually a precedent before this one.
In 2005, Fifa set a precedent when they ordered a replay of the 2006 World Cup qualifier between Asian countries Uzbekistan and Bahrain.

Nicknamed the White Wolves, Uzbekistan had defeated The Red of Bahrain 1-0 in the Asian zone play-off encounter first-leg clash.

The match had to be replayed after a refereeing mistake involving a penalty incident which had been awarded to Uzbekistan, who then called for an investigation.

But Fifa declared the result invalid and ordered a replay which angered Uzbekistan. Japanese referee Toshimitsu Yoshida, who officiated the game, was suspended at international level by the Asian Football Confederation.

http://www.goal.com/en-za/news/fifa-cou ... 6qk98v0p0q
Interesting.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

I have a few WC matches involving the SE I would like replayed too ...

Wha choo looking at?!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

I guess referees can't just decide to mess games up especially if they are of importance!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

I'm sure if it was a SE game the ref messed up no one would argue against replay
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

pajimoh wrote:I'm sure if it was a SE game the ref messed up no one would argue against replay
Not arguing against the replay... but against the consequences
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Scipio Africanus wrote:I have a few WC matches involving the SE I would like replayed too ...

Like when Maradona was high vs Naija, or when ref missed red cards vs France, or when Maldini was not sent off for pulling down Yekini, or when our players were not sober and fatigued vs Denmark :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

niyi wrote:
pajimoh wrote:I'm sure if it was a SE game the ref messed up no one would argue against replay
Not arguing against the replay... but against the consequences
If a game has already been decided by syndicates with the help of the ref before a ball is kicked, regardless of the consequences, it must be replayed.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Scipio Africanus wrote:While they are at it, can they replay the Zambia-Algeria qualifiers? Both legs? Not asking for much hia. :tic:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

niyi wrote:It's setting an interesting precedence. I'm afraid eople will start digging up dirt on refs and asking for replays of matches long played. Hopefully there are limitations.
I believe punitive replays should be limited to matches played after 1987.

PS: On an unrelated note, does anyone have links to the video of Henry Nwosu's goal against Cameroun in 1988? And also, what is FIFA's email address?
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:I have a few WC matches involving the SE I would like replayed too ...

Like when Maradona was high vs Naija, or when ref missed red cards vs France, or when Maldini was not sent off for pulling down Yekini, or when our players were not sober and fatigued vs Denmark :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:
Did Nigeria even complain about that disgraceful game against France? Mikels was elbowed in the face by Guirod and nothing happened,Mutudi remained on the pitch after a career threatening tackle on Onazi and Odenwinges goal was disallowed for no reason!And Im sure that referee is still working and will probably be high on the list for the next World Cup!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Did Nigeria even complain about that disgraceful game against France? Mikels was elbowed in the face by Guirod and nothing happened,Mutudi remained on the pitch after a career threatening tackle on Onazi and Odenwinges goal was disallowed for no reason!And Im sure that referee is still working and will probably be high on the list for the next World Cup!
Good question! I don't believe we did because we never do, no matter how poor we are treated. FIFA, on its part, will not voluntarily decide to review a match unless a complaint is filed by the aggrieved.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

A couple of AFCON finals against Cameroon should also be replayed.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

niyi wrote:It's setting an interesting precedence. I'm afraid eople will start digging up dirt on refs and asking for replays of matches long played. Hopefully there are limitations.
Niyi, The ref was disgraceful.

[/video]
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:or when our players were not sober and fatigued vs Denmark :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:
I want a replay of the French hookers visiting the player's hotel so that next time the players can turn them away at reception.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

The Eagle wrote:
I believe punitive replays should be limited to matches played after 1987.

PS: On an unrelated note, does anyone have links to the video of Henry Nwosu's goal against Cameroun in 1988? And also, what is FIFA's email address?
On second thoughts, I withdraw the above post, as it is unlikely FIFA will look on our application for a replay as favourably as they did Senegal's.

PS: On yet another unrelated note, Fatma Samoura broke an important glass ceiling when she became FIFA Secretary-General. The people of Senegal must be very proud of her.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.