South Africa-Senegal World Cup qualifier to be replayed

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=201 ... 07241.html
The Bureau for the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers ordered a replay of the qualification match between South Africa and Senegal held on 12 November 2016. This decision follows the confirmation of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to uphold the lifetime ban of match referee, Jospeh Lamptey, for match manipulation, the ruling imposed by the FIFA Disciplinary and Appeal Committees. The match will be replayed within the November 2017 international window, with the exact date to be confirmed in due course.

As stated in the FIFA World Cup regulations, this decision shall come into effect immediately but shall be subject to confirmation by the Organising Committee for FIFA Competitions at its next meeting, scheduled for 14 September.
Re: South Africa-Senegal World Cup qualifier to be replayed

While they are at it, can they replay the Zambia-Algeria qualifiers? Both legs? Not asking for much hia. :tic:

Ridiculous.

The Referee was licensed by CAF and FIFA at the time he handled the match. He has since been punished.

You cannot just order a replay when it was not crowd trouble, or something that the home side did. This is like opening Pandora's box.

Unless the South Africans can be shown to have done something illegal, like bribing the Breda.

That Lamptey must be Rawlings' friend.
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe

It's setting an interesting precedence. I'm afraid eople will start digging up dirt on refs and asking for replays of matches long played. Hopefully there are limitations.

I think this may be an interesting precedence that FIFA is about to set. I wonder how players will react to extra games and such.
Last edited by Cito on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

truetalk wrote:Ridiculous.

The Referee was licensed by CAF and FIFA at the time he handled the match. He has since been punished.

You cannot just order a replay when it was not crowd trouble, or something that the home side did. This is like opening Pandora's box.

Unless the South Africans can be shown to have done something illegal, like bribing the Breda.
:?: :?:
How can you let the result stand? Where's the justice or redress in that?

Cito wrote:I think this may be an interesting precedence that FIFA is about to set. I wonder how players will react to extra games and such.
While it's really questionable and suspicious why a replay was ordered, there has actually a precedent before this one.
In 2005, Fifa set a precedent when they ordered a replay of the 2006 World Cup qualifier between Asian countries Uzbekistan and Bahrain.

Nicknamed the White Wolves, Uzbekistan had defeated The Red of Bahrain 1-0 in the Asian zone play-off encounter first-leg clash.

The match had to be replayed after a refereeing mistake involving a penalty incident which had been awarded to Uzbekistan, who then called for an investigation.

But Fifa declared the result invalid and ordered a replay which angered Uzbekistan. Japanese referee Toshimitsu Yoshida, who officiated the game, was suspended at international level by the Asian Football Confederation.

http://www.goal.com/en-za/news/fifa-cou ... 6qk98v0p0q
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe

anointed wrote:
Cito wrote:I think this may be an interesting precedence that FIFA is about to set. I wonder how players will react to extra games and such.
While it's really questionable and suspicious why a replay was ordered, there has actually a precedent before this one.
In 2005, Fifa set a precedent when they ordered a replay of the 2006 World Cup qualifier between Asian countries Uzbekistan and Bahrain.

Nicknamed the White Wolves, Uzbekistan had defeated The Red of Bahrain 1-0 in the Asian zone play-off encounter first-leg clash.

The match had to be replayed after a refereeing mistake involving a penalty incident which had been awarded to Uzbekistan, who then called for an investigation.

But Fifa declared the result invalid and ordered a replay which angered Uzbekistan. Japanese referee Toshimitsu Yoshida, who officiated the game, was suspended at international level by the Asian Football Confederation.

http://www.goal.com/en-za/news/fifa-cou ... 6qk98v0p0q
Interesting.

I have a few WC matches involving the SE I would like replayed too ...

I guess referees can't just decide to mess games up especially if they are of importance!

I'm sure if it was a SE game the ref messed up no one would argue against replay

pajimoh wrote:I'm sure if it was a SE game the ref messed up no one would argue against replay
Not arguing against the replay... but against the consequences

Scipio Africanus wrote:I have a few WC matches involving the SE I would like replayed too ...

Like when Maradona was high vs Naija, or when ref missed red cards vs France, or when Maldini was not sent off for pulling down Yekini, or when our players were not sober and fatigued vs Denmark :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:

niyi wrote:
pajimoh wrote:I'm sure if it was a SE game the ref messed up no one would argue against replay
Not arguing against the replay... but against the consequences
If a game has already been decided by syndicates with the help of the ref before a ball is kicked, regardless of the consequences, it must be replayed.

Scipio Africanus wrote:While they are at it, can they replay the Zambia-Algeria qualifiers? Both legs? Not asking for much hia. :tic:
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

niyi wrote:It's setting an interesting precedence. I'm afraid eople will start digging up dirt on refs and asking for replays of matches long played. Hopefully there are limitations.
I believe punitive replays should be limited to matches played after 1987.

PS: On an unrelated note, does anyone have links to the video of Henry Nwosu's goal against Cameroun in 1988? And also, what is FIFA's email address?
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.

Scipio Africanus wrote:I have a few WC matches involving the SE I would like replayed too ...

Like when Maradona was high vs Naija, or when ref missed red cards vs France, or when Maldini was not sent off for pulling down Yekini, or when our players were not sober and fatigued vs Denmark :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:
Did Nigeria even complain about that disgraceful game against France? Mikels was elbowed in the face by Guirod and nothing happened,Mutudi remained on the pitch after a career threatening tackle on Onazi and Odenwinges goal was disallowed for no reason!And Im sure that referee is still working and will probably be high on the list for the next World Cup!

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Did Nigeria even complain about that disgraceful game against France? Mikels was elbowed in the face by Guirod and nothing happened,Mutudi remained on the pitch after a career threatening tackle on Onazi and Odenwinges goal was disallowed for no reason!And Im sure that referee is still working and will probably be high on the list for the next World Cup!
Good question! I don't believe we did because we never do, no matter how poor we are treated. FIFA, on its part, will not voluntarily decide to review a match unless a complaint is filed by the aggrieved.

A couple of AFCON finals against Cameroon should also be replayed.

niyi wrote:It's setting an interesting precedence. I'm afraid eople will start digging up dirt on refs and asking for replays of matches long played. Hopefully there are limitations.
Niyi, The ref was disgraceful.

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:or when our players were not sober and fatigued vs Denmark :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:
I want a replay of the French hookers visiting the player's hotel so that next time the players can turn them away at reception.

The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

The Eagle wrote:
I believe punitive replays should be limited to matches played after 1987.

PS: On an unrelated note, does anyone have links to the video of Henry Nwosu's goal against Cameroun in 1988? And also, what is FIFA's email address?
On second thoughts, I withdraw the above post, as it is unlikely FIFA will look on our application for a replay as favourably as they did Senegal's.

PS: On yet another unrelated note, Fatma Samoura broke an important glass ceiling when she became FIFA Secretary-General. The people of Senegal must be very proud of her.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.