Even if Rohr fails to qualify for World Cup he should stay

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chendosplastic
Egg
Egg
Re: Even if Rohr fails to qualify for World Cup he should st

Post by chendosplastic »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] Who else feels like me that we are on the verge of building something major with Gernot Rohr here?
[2] I see him building a team through careful scouting kind of like Clemence Westerhoff did
[3] I am particularly pleased with the way Rohr has gone out of his way to locate players that were not on the radar
[4] Once upon a time, it was CE scouting for the NFF
[5] Just as Westerhoff went out of his way to recruit young kids like Oliseh and Okocha into the team, so too has Rohr gone down this route by calling up the likes of Ebuhie and Aina
[6] Do you know that Westerhoff was in office for five years. It was this length of time that enabled him build a team
[7] For me, the greatest achiever in Nigerian football when it comes to team building the Super Eagles was Father Tiko. He took office in 1974 and totally rebuilt the team. Do you know that he dismantled the team that won the 1973 All African Games and brought in youngsters like Chukwu, Odegbami, Amesiemeka, Atuegbu, Lawal, Odiye, etc. Now that took guts. Only Emmanuel Okala remained from the 1973 team
[8] With Tiko and Westerhoff being in office for four and five years respectively, it is clear to me that if we want Rohr to achieve his full potential, he too needs that amount of time too. I think we can all see his ability here
[9] For me, even of Rohr were to lose he remaining two World Cup qualifiers, I would still retain him
[10] Just imagine where Nigerian football will be in five years time under Rohr
Amiesimaka,
"The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself" - ABBA.
"Facts, Logic, truth is the way....stop ranting via emotions; seeing things through the prism of ethnicity is comfortable but ultimately a road to perdition." - airwolex.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Even if Rohr fails to qualify for World Cup he stay on

Post by deanotito »

Damunk wrote:
deanotito wrote:Rohr is a solid coach. I said recently I was anti-Rohr when he was hired, but in the months since, he has cultivated so much goodwill....He prepares the team well, he makes good tactical choices, he is terrific at managing the players and the press. He's just solid all around.
Were you anti-Rohr simply because he's a foreigner or because you didn't feel he was the right man for the job?
Both are legitimate concerns.
I was anti-Rohr because of a simple reason. I believe coaching replacements are easy...you hire someone who on paper/by record is better than the one you are replacing. If the choice is between an average journey man and an accomplished ex-Nigeria international, I would choose the Nigerian international. Yes, the choice was between Rohr and Yusuf...I saw no indication that Rohr was necessarily better than Yusuf. As the nigerian proverb says...'if you're going to eat a frog, at least eat a big one...so that when they ask why, you can tell them you ate a big one...at least"

Rohr's pre-Nigeria record was decidedly unimpressive. I couldn't see what in his CV was so attractive that made him a viable SE coach. In order to know that Rohr was going to work out, Pinnick either had elite abilities in recognizing coaching talent, or he took a wild gamble.

When he was hired, I was convinced Pinnick had taken a wild gamble that was sure to be disastrous.....Well, it hasn't been disastrous (its been quite the opposite)...and I'm not sure if it was a gamble. Pinnick may know his coaching onions
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I expect Rohr to drop some of the old guard for Russia 2018. he strikes me as someone who will bring in at least five new youngsters who will make a difference.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:I expect Rohr to drop some of the old guard for Russia 2018. he strikes me as someone who will bring in at least five new youngsters who will make a difference.
I'll take an educated guess and suggest the following to be most at risk of ot making Russia should we qualify.
In no particular order:

1. Ezenwa
2. Echejiele
3. Moses Simon
4. Etebo
5. Onazi
6. Omeruo
7. Ogu
8. Agu
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Jumping the gun a bit of course but I'd expect all the names on Damunk's list to make it with the possible exception 6, 7 and 8.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I disagree, if he fails to qualify for the WC, he should be sacked or let go.

The minimum is a 2nd round appearance at the World cup.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

ohenhen1 wrote:I disagree, if he fails to qualify for the WC, he should be sacked or let go.

The minimum is a 2nd round appearance at the World cup.

The long term is more important in my opinion. This is a man who is looking to the future.