Dear Statistians in DA building

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Dear Statistians in DA building

Post by Tobi17 »

Ekong and Balogun AKA 'oyinbo wall" are now our most reliable center-backs and not only do they have a deep friendship/comradeship on the field of play...they also seem to do so likewise off field , question is how many goals have they conceded playing together, and will they make the hall of fame of best defenders Nigeria ever produced in years to come ? what was the goal metric conceded by the likes of CC, Steven Keshi, Omokaro, Eboigbe, Yobo, Uche Okechukwu, Taribo West etc and other famous defensive pairing we had in the past, I need to verify which CB's pairing was the best the SE ever had till date based on goals conceded over a period of time...we have had several defensive pairings in the past few years, at some point we never had a consistent defense cause it was Omeruo/Yobo today, Egwueke/Yobo tomorrow...and bunch of different players pairing up in defense with the downside of very shaky chemistry that had made our defense the weakest spot in recent years , but I have never felt more confident in the Ekong/Balogun partnership not only because of the consistency which buds greater chemistry between them, but also due to their very unique styles of defending...Balogun is the more versatile and efficient defender...has better reading of the game and makes the most timely interceptions and tackles I have ever seen in a defender(maybe due to his German orientation), while Ekong is more gutsy and rugged of the duo and seems more adventurous to drive forward, he goes in for everything...this two if they keep playing for a while, will surely make the CAF best XI year in year out, mark my words!
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Dear Statistians in DA building

Post by Sir V »

Odiye/Chukwu
Chidi Nwanu/Uche Okechukwu
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Dear Statistians in DA building

Post by Cito »

Tobi17 wrote:Ekong and Balogun AKA 'oyinbo wall" are now our most reliable center-backs and not only do they have a deep friendship/comradeship on the field of play...they also seem to do so likewise off field , question is how many goals have they conceded playing together, and will they make the hall of fame of best defenders Nigeria ever produced in years to come ? what was the goal metric conceded by the likes of CC, Steven Keshi, Omokaro, Eboigbe, Yobo, Uche Okechukwu, Taribo West etc and other famous defensive pairing we had in the past, I need to verify which CB's pairing was the best the SE ever had till date based on goals conceded over a period of time...we have had several defensive pairings in the past few years, at some point we never had a consistent defense cause it was Omeruo/Yobo today, Egwueke/Yobo tomorrow...and bunch of different players pairing up in defense with the downside of very shaky chemistry that had made our defense the weakest spot in recent years , but I have never felt more confident in the Ekong/Balogun partnership not only because of the consistency which buds greater chemistry between them, but also due to their very unique styles of defending...Balogun is the more versatile and efficient defender...has better reading of the game and makes the most timely interceptions and tackles I have ever seen in a defender(maybe due to his German orientation), while Ekong is more gutsy and rugged of the duo and seems more adventurous to drive forward, he goes in for everything...this two if they keep playing for a while, will surely make the CAF best XI year in year out, mark my words!
I don't think measuring a defensive pair by the goal they concede is fair. Reasons being;
1- An Akpeylike player in goal counts against the defense.
2. Who is shielding the defense?
3. Who else makes up the 4 in defense?
4. Who did they face in terms of oppositions?

There is a host of things that could be used that makes the comparison a functions of the individual making the calls.
I believe watching videos and using situational scenarios as a parameter will be the best way to arrive at a more prudent conclusion.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."