We have a little problem with our defense!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: We have a little problem with our defense!

Post by mcal »

YemiBrazil wrote:
mcal wrote:...Nigerians get "mad" when one of their own is not on the team. Thread opener, you're not the only one.
Mumucal CE's Simpleton-in-Chief :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
...I know the thread opener is one of yours, the crooked of the crooks of Nigeria.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

gochino wrote:Lol Naija people! 4 years ago and you guys are acting like it is eternity! Don't you guyz find it funny that we don't even have one experienced defender who is in his 30s or late 20s and has many caps? Since 2013 we have had in average 1 coach a year and changed defenders like underwears during this period! And the result is our absence from 2 of the last 3 afcons. Obo and Omeruo are average players but communicate well and show some kind of bond when played together, and believe me that is most important in defense! The last time I checked all our defenders were playing for average clubs! Why use 19 year old defenders and discard them afterwards. What is the idea behind that? If Balogun and Ekong fail to perform in one or two matches,they would also be discarded. My point is all these wholesale changes in defense won't do us good in the long run!
The most successful countries like Germany Italy and Spain all had experienced defenders in their teams. Defenders who have played together for years in the same club and established some kind of bond together on the field. They all had defenders who had won more than hundred caps !
No sire this post does not make any sense. These guys were dropped for a reason and one reason only...form! The only thing that guarantees a player a posutuin in a team is form,not what they did years back. I expected so much from those teo Omeruo and Obo, but unfortunately their career has not headed anywhere nor their form. For now these two Ekong and Balogun are the best pair....not the one of 3 or 4 years ago...that one has become history,howbeit a memorable and pleasant one! Who knows what tomorrow may bring?
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

oloye wrote:
gochino wrote:Lol Naija people! 4 years ago and you guys are acting like it is eternity! Don't you guyz find it funny that we don't even have one experienced defender who is in his 30s or late 20s and has many caps? Since 2013 we have had in average 1 coach a year and changed defenders like underwears during this period! And the result is our absence from 2 of the last 3 afcons. Obo and Omeruo are average players but communicate well and show some kind of bond when played together, and believe me that is most important in defense! The last time I checked all our defenders were playing for average clubs! Why use 19 year old defenders and discard them afterwards. What is the idea behind that? If Balogun and Ekong fail to perform in one or two matches,they would also be discarded. My point is all these wholesale changes in defense won't do us good in the long run!
The most successful countries like Germany Italy and Spain all had experienced defenders in their teams. Defenders who have played together for years in the same club and established some kind of bond together on the field. They all had defenders who had won more than hundred caps !
No sire this post does not make any sense. These guys were dropped for a reason and one reason only...form! The only thing that guarantees a player a posutuin in a team is form,not what they did years back. I expected so much from those teo Omeruo and Obo, but unfortunately their career has not headed anywhere nor their form. For now these two Ekong and Balogun are the best pair....not the one of 3 or 4 years ago...that one has become history,howbeit a memorable and pleasant one! Who knows what tomorrow may bring?
Club form is a vital factor but not the only factor. When it comes to defense, we also need to look at experience and understanding/ good communication between the back four and the Goal keeper. Also Balogun put up a 5 star performance against Cameroon,right? Can you remind me how many games he has played for his club this season??Let me also point out that omeruo and obo have just played one tournament together! And we were champions in that tournament.Confed cup and WC they didn't play together as omeruo was injured.Right now we have zero backup in defense,what happens if Balogun is injured? Well we saw what happened against South africa! I am not saying these guys should displace Balogun and Ekong,but they should at least be in the mix!
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Chief, with all due respect, this has become some kind of naked pitch for the return of these players. All these big teams you mentioned go with THE BEST THEY HAVE, not age. How old was Messi when he played his first WC? Maradona nko?and many many more. Its not about age but competence. Right now, Ekong and Balogun represent the best we have in their positions. Obo and Ome to me are not even on the radar for the bench talk less of making the WC should we make it.

Haba! Easy o
To stop trying is to start dying
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

smartbrother wrote:
deanotito wrote:Ekong, yes. Very unimpressive with the ball at his feet. Balogun is good with the ball...for a defender
LOL Balogun is NOT good with the ball.
dude just blasts it anywhere belle face
Ekong at least tries to play it out of defence
Nevertheless both are great defenders
No, Balogun is better. For a defender, he's as good with the ball as Taribo was. Neither of them are Pirlo, but they can get the ball to a teammate. Ekong on the other hand lacks that sometimes.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Beyond the first choice back 4, we lack quality cover in all 4 defensive slots (indeed there is an argument that we lack a quality first choice RB and LB!). Out of Nigeria's back 5 - only the first choice CDs are steady. The full backs and GK are dodgy.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

deanotito wrote:
smartbrother wrote:
deanotito wrote:Ekong, yes. Very unimpressive with the ball at his feet. Balogun is good with the ball...for a defender
LOL Balogun is NOT good with the ball.
dude just blasts it anywhere belle face
Ekong at least tries to play it out of defence
Nevertheless both are great defenders
No, Balogun is better. For a defender, he's as good with the ball as Taribo was. Neither of them are Pirlo, but they can get the ball to a teammate. Ekong on the other hand lacks that sometimes.
Yep, definitely better with the ball at his feet than Ekong. We just have to deal with Ekongs clearances until we have another defender than can defend as well as he can.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

olu wrote:Balogun is very confident with the ball at his feet. Omeruo and Obaboana are both better on the ball than Ekong and better passers than him, however, Ekong is much faster and wins more balls in the air than either of the two. Omeruo, Obaobona, and the forgotten Ambrose are still useful squad players. However, for now I'll still stick with Ekong because of his strength, tackling and recovery ability; and also because of the solid partnership he is forming with Balogun.

Awazeim btw, has a lot of upside and I could see him displacing Ekong if he continues to progress at Nantes/Porto.
Oboabona maybe but not Omeruo
yes o
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

papilo wrote:
olu wrote:Balogun is very confident with the ball at his feet. Omeruo and Obaboana are both better on the ball than Ekong and better passers than him, however, Ekong is much faster and wins more balls in the air than either of the two. Omeruo, Obaobona, and the forgotten Ambrose are still useful squad players. However, for now I'll still stick with Ekong because of his strength, tackling and recovery ability; and also because of the solid partnership he is forming with Balogun.

Awazeim btw, has a lot of upside and I could see him displacing Ekong if he continues to progress at Nantes/Porto.
Oboabona maybe but not Omeruo
Ekong is pretty bad at passing Omeruo is much better and accurate, not sure why you think he isn't. He and Oboabona were passing out the back comfortably in our 2013 ANC win, after Yobo was fumbling in possession in our first game.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!