Victor Osimhen...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Victor Osimhen...

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

... Not getting any play with Wolfsburg. Not even in the match roster. The moral if this story is don't turn your nose up at the big clubs. Even if you fail to make first team, your reputation will get you games elsewhere but if you can't get playing time at a small club like Wolfsburg, your career is probably finished :!:

Cheers.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Victor Osimhen...

Post by oloye »

I beg to disagree my good friend, i think the real morale of the story is why Osimeh with that potentials cannot get a game at Wolfsburg....something went wrong somewhere....has it got to do with injuries?
There are no guarantees anywhere if you are not ready to take the chances presented to you...is the bobo injured again?
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

He played well in the preseason. German CE's may have better info as to what is going on. ITs still very early in the season, so no cause for alarm at all.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

He's 18 and around the first team of a top flight German club. It'll be an anomaly for him to be playing every week.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

niyi wrote:He's 18 and around the first team of a top flight German club. It'll be an anomaly for him to be playing every week.
Well said.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:... Not getting any play with Wolfsburg. Not even in the match roster. The moral if this story is don't turn your nose up at the big clubs. Even if you fail to make first team, your reputation will get you games elsewhere but if you can't get playing time at a small club like Wolfsburg, your career is probably finished :!:

Cheers.

Na Wolfsburg you dey call small club?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:... Not getting any play with Wolfsburg. Not even in the match roster. The moral if this story is don't turn your nose up at the big clubs. Even if you fail to make first team, your reputation will get you games elsewhere but if you can't get playing time at a small club like Wolfsburg, your career is probably finished :!:

Cheers.

Lol. You beat me to it. Oga Tony, please calm down small and be patient. Victor is in a solid professional environment to succeed. Patience is a virtue dawg.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Cheers.

He's a dummy.
OCCUPY NFF!!
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Cheers.
Why are we so negative??? At 18, career already finished? Haba!!!!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Y
Cheers.

They are not a big club and they were just a breath away from playing in Division 2 :!:

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Cheers.

He's a dummy.
Who are you calling a dummy, you gworo-chewing #$%$ :?: :!:

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

niyi wrote:He's 18 and around the first team of a top flight German club. It'll be an anomaly for him to be playing every week.
Wasn't Nacho scoring goals in the premier league when he was 18? Look, I'm not questioning his talent. We all know he has that. I, however, question the logic of he and his advisers in picking Wolfsburg over the bigger clubs that were after him. To be honest, that decision suggests a certain lack of self confidence. The world is full of talented football players with very little to pick and choose between them. The one factor that makes all the difference in the world is self confidence. If you don't think you can succeed in a big club then you probably won't. The fact that Osimhen isn't getting playing time at a club which battled relegation all season is not helping his confidence. That's bad news in the long run.

Onyekuru made a similar decision. I am watching to see how he makes out :!:

Cheers.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Y
Cheers.

They are not a big club and they were just a breath away from playing in Division 2 :!:

Cheers.
Based on what? They are currently 10th in Die Bundesliga!
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

The average Nigerian youth wonder is nothing to write home about. They may excel at U-17 and U-20 but let's be honest, skill wont get you very far. Most are lazy, and the joy of money, fame and fortune make them semi motivated. Being an athlete is not abut your ability but about skill, knowledge and experience. Two of three are usually missing.

If Osimhen was so promising, Wolfsburg would not have signed Origi. As usually, I am positive that someone will dissect this and say I have a colo mentality.

Examples:

Musa
Iheanacho
Success
Musa Muhammed
Omeruo
Onazi
Nwakili

These players CANNOT play at the highest level for a protracted period. They just do not have what it takes.

These ones do:

Ighalo
Mikel
Moses
Ekong
Balogun
Ndidi

They work hard at their game. They show up fit!! Even Mikel at his age.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

nzeogwu wrote:The average Nigerian youth wonder is nothing to write home about. They may excel at U-17 and U-20 but let's be honest, skill wont get you very far. Most are lazy, and the joy of money, fame and fortune make them semi motivated. Being an athlete is not abut your ability but about skill, knowledge and experience. Two of three are usually missing.

If Osimhen was so promising, Wolfsburg would not have signed Origi. As usually, I am positive that someone will dissect this and say I have a colo mentality.

Examples:

Musa
Iheanacho
Success
Musa Muhammed
Omeruo
Onazi
Nwakili

These players CANNOT play at the highest level for a protracted period. They just do not have what it takes.

These ones do:

Ighalo
Mikel
Moses
Ekong
Balogun
Ndidi

Hmmmm but youth players who have come through are aplenty. Our 1993 Flying Eagles for instance included:

Taribo West
Nwankwo Kanu (Sent to the U17 team)
Austin Okocha
Tijani Babangida
Wilson Oruma

Players from the U17 team who have gone to excel include:

Celestine Babayaro
Nwankwo Kanu
Wilson Oruma
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

nzeogwu wrote:The average Nigerian youth wonder is nothing to write home about. They may excel at U-17 and U-20 but let's be honest, skill wont get you very far. Most are lazy, and the joy of money, fame and fortune make them semi motivated. Being an athlete is not abut your ability but about skill, knowledge and experience. Two of three are usually missing.

Examples:

Musa
Iheanacho
Success
Musa Muhammed
Omeruo
Onazi
Nwakili

These ones do:

Ighalo
Mikel
Moses
Ekong
Balogun
Ndidi

Pick any country (or even club) of your choice, list their youth players from the U17 etc and count how many ended up playing top flight football for considerable period.

Age was the excuse before but seems you've added laziness, love of money etc to it. Haba!!!!!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Osimhen has a minor injury. Just so you now.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

wanaj0 wrote:Pick any country (or even club) of your choice, list their youth players from the U17 etc and count how many ended up playing top flight football for considerable period.

Age was the excuse before but seems you've added laziness, love of money etc to it. Haba!!!!!
I don't necessarily agree with his position but I do agree with the lazy part. Maybe I shouldn't call it lazy. The way I see it, the average Nigerian footballer (or any athlete for that matter) settles easily. Their ambition is to go abroad not because it presents the best opportunity for them to attain their full potential but because it means more money and better lifestyle (fair enough). They don't aspire to be the best in their craft they just aspire to go play professionally abroad (ideally Europe but anywhere abroad will usually do). Their motivation is purely financial not self improvement. That's why you see most of them content with riding the pine sitting on the bench while in the prime of their career. I'm not sure why Nacho left City to come sit on Leicester's bench. He should've demanded guaranteed playing time from any team wanting to sign him. I hope its just a temporary thing.

I guess that's the reality of living in Nigeria.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

marutimon wrote:Osimhen has a minor injury. Just so you now.
Even if he was not injured, nothing wrong with where his career is today at this stage in his life. He is doing ok. He is just 18 years old and in and around the first team squad of a top Bundesliga team whose first choice striker is a German international with over 70 caps. No need for unnecessary pressure.
yes o
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Ok, I agree with Yemster. MAJORITY Nigerian (African) players lack ambition. Leaving Ajegunle for a sub position in the Championship is an achievement and measure of success. Many can play better but do as little as possible. It's a complete lack of ambition. That's the Gods honest truth.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

He has had several long term injury layoffs. The fact that his club are fully behind him shows they have confidence in his abilities. Rohr sees the potential in him to, I guess those are the only opinions that matter at the moment.

He and Awoniyi are quite similar and it will be interesting to see how they both develop over the coming years
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Ayo:

Look at this names:

Taribo West
Nwankwo Kanu (Sent to the U17 team)
Austin Okocha
Tijani Babangida
Wilson Oruma

There was still some decency of values in Nigeria in the 90's. name five players since 2010 that can fit this bill? What happened to NUGA, YSFON, Greater Tomorrow. Our value system is gone.

For those who think we can build a team on NPFL players, or U-17 players, think gain. Lots of talent, no character, no values.

Moses, Mikel, Ighalo, Balogun, Ekong, Aina, Iwobi, Ebuehi, Bazo Nigeria. Professionalism and hard work. They may not be the best but they'll give a lot more consistently than their more talented colleagues like Nacho and Success. You never know what you'll get for club or country with our so called u-17 stars.

Yes, we blame injury and age and will keep ding so when they are 30. Eto'o, Okocha, Finidi, Babangida, Kanu, Cele did not have that problem. It is a microcosm of our society.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

theYemster wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:Pick any country (or even club) of your choice, list their youth players from the U17 etc and count how many ended up playing top flight football for considerable period.

I don't necessarily agree with his position but I do agree with the lazy part. Maybe I shouldn't call it lazy. The way I see it, the average Nigerian footballer (or any athlete for that matter) settles easily. Their ambition is to go abroad not because it presents the best opportunity for them to attain their full potential but because it means more money and better lifestyle (fair enough). They don't aspire to be the best in their craft they just aspire to go play professionally abroad (ideally Europe but anywhere abroad will usually do). Their motivation is purely financial not self improvement. That's why you see most of them content with riding the pine sitting on the bench while in the prime of their career. I'm not sure why Nacho left City to come sit on Leicester's bench. He should've demanded guaranteed playing time from any team wanting to sign him. I hope its just a temporary thing.

I guess that's the reality of living in Nigeria.
Firstly, they are kids moving to a new country, new weather, new culture etc. Don't underestimate the challenges with settling down.

Secondly you ask them to demand for playing time? How???? What leverage do they have?

The motivation for most people is financial and nothing wrong with that. We all move to greener pastures basically for better life.