Foreign Goalkeepers in the NPFL

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Foreign Goalkeepers in the NPFL

Post by truetalk »

We've had sprinklings in the past with the likes of Edward Ansah, but the number are rising the the last few years.

Ghanaians Seidu Mutawakilu (Rangers), Fatawu Dauda (Enyimba) , Ivorian Bamba Drissa (Ifeanyi Ubah) and Malian Ibrahim Traore (Ifeanyi Ubah). There might be others I can't name off hand.

While I think this is an indication that the NPFL is getting better quickly (the economic stats are improving), does this pose a danger to Nigerian keepers?

In FCIU for instance, Ezenwa has not been the main starter this season. Yaw Preko has started more games with Bamba Drissa, and it is not just due to National team duties.

As an aside, it is another positive indicator that the league is able to attract the likes of Yaw Preko to coach. The Breda played for the likes of Anderlecht.

Things are looking positive for the league . The NPFL - NTA deal (I have called for something similar for years) means more games will be on TV and less room for 'tactical'. We would no longer just be limited to the 1 or 2 games Supersport cherrypicks per week. and more players from our subregion will certainly start flocking in as the economics improve, but it will also mean slightly less opportunities for Nigerian players, especially goalkeepers.

What do you think? Is this good or bad? Should limits be in place as per China?
Last edited by truetalk on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Foreign Goalkeepers in the NPFL

Post by 1naija »

It's not the responsibility of the teams to develop local keepers.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.