Tunisia&Cameroon should not be anywhere near the world cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Tunisia&Cameroon should not be anywhere near the world c

Post by Tbite »

Nigeria can definitely make the 1/4s.

We are actually a little bit unlucky not to have done so. Our 94 team was better than a lot of teams that have been to the 1/4s.

Of course in 98 we all know what happened. 2002 I guess we fielded a weakened side, we did our best most likely...I think that group was not the easiest. 2006 we should have been there, no doubt about it.

2010 was a joke....that group was our easiest world cup group EVER! That group was so easy, I could have qualified from there. South Korea was useless, as was Greece. Did you see that South Korea game, they gifted Nigeria a million chances...Nigeria just didn't have any decent strikers on the day. Just ONE player with half a brain and one leg and we would have qualfiied. Nsofor, Obafemi Martins and Yak were abysmal.

But apart from that in 2014 we were much better and were evenly matched with France! Until Onazi was taken out of the game, then France was slightly the better team.

I think our current team is even better than that 2014 team! As long as we don't get bad draws (assuming we qualify), I think 1/4s is realistic.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

Tbite wrote:Nigeria can definitely make the 1/4s.

We are actually a little bit unlucky not to have done so. Our 94 team was better than a lot of teams that have been to the 1/4s.

Of course in 98, we all know what happened. 2002 I guess we fielded a weakened side, we did our best most likely...I think that group was not the easiest. 2006 we should have been there, no doubts about it.

2010 was a joke....that group was our easiest world cup group EVER! That group was so easy, I could have qualified from there. South Korea was useless, as was Greece. Did you see that South Korea game, they gifted Nigeria a million chances...Nigeria just didn't have any decent strikers on the day. Just ONE player with half a brain and half a leg and we would have qualfiied. Nsofor, Obafemi Martins and Yak were abysmal.

But apart from that in 2014, we were much better and were evenly matched with France! Until Onazi was taken out of the game, then France was slightly the better team.

I think our current team is even better than that 2014 team! As long as we don't get bad draws (assuming we qualify), I think 1/4s is realistic.

yea luck of the draw if we qualify - one of luck am hoping for- if we put in the work and pick best legs luck will follow.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Kabalega wrote:
airwolex wrote:Cameroon has been woeful recently but everyone that gets through African qualifiers deserves a chance to mess up at the WC. These are the best teams Africa has to offer, or do we really believe that Congo DRC, Cape Verde, Guinea, Zambia will do better? Not a chance, they will be ripped to shreds. We saw Angola and Togo go to make up the numbers years ago.

Leave Cameroon, for a small Nation they have done well enough and deserve a bit more respect.
Angola acquitted themselves for a first timer.
Way better than what Ghana did in Brazil and Cameroon or other N. Africans besides Algeria and Morocco.

Togo did what West Africans do best, fight of money. At least, they can be forgiven as it was their first time.
Nigeria, Ghana and others who have been there, have no excuse for poor organization.

That is why more progressive FAs like Cape Verde and Zambia, ...e.t.c, should go and continue to grow.
Players like Africa's finest, Onyango need to experience the WC. :thumb:

With the usual suspects, it will be more of the same. :twisted:
Africa needs fresh blood like we have with the CAF leadership :D
Well you should have used your organization to beat Egypt then.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

airwolex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
airwolex wrote:Cameroon has been woeful recently but everyone that gets through African qualifiers deserves a chance to mess up at the WC. These are the best teams Africa has to offer, or do we really believe that Congo DRC, Cape Verde, Guinea, Zambia will do better? Not a chance, they will be ripped to shreds. We saw Angola and Togo go to make up the numbers years ago.

Leave Cameroon, for a small Nation they have done well enough and deserve a bit more respect.
Way better than what Ghana did in Brazil and Cameroon or other N. Africans besides Algeria and Morocco.

Togo did what West Africans do best, fight of money. At least, they can be forgiven as it was their first time.
Nigeria, Ghana and others who have been there, have no excuse for poor organization.

That is why more progressive FAs like Cape Verde and Zambia, ...e.t.c, should go and continue to grow.

Well you should have used your organization to beat Egypt then.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Of course in 98 we all know what happened. 2002 I guess we fielded a weakened side, we did our best most likely...I think that group was not the easiest. 2006 we should have been there, no doubt about it.

2010 was a joke....that group was our easiest world cup group EVER! That group was so easy, I could have qualified from there. South Korea was useless, as was Greece. Did you see that South Korea game, they gifted Nigeria a million chances...Nigeria just didn't have any decent strikers on the day. Just ONE player with half a brain and one leg and we would have qualfiied. Nsofor, Obafemi Martins and Yak were abysmal.

But apart from that in 2014 we were much better and were evenly matched with France! Until Onazi was taken out of the game, then France was slightly the better team.

Semi-finals for Nigeria is very optimistic.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

The YeyeMan wrote:

Semi-finals for Nigeria is very optimistic.
semi final a long distance dream - provided luck on our side and - spine of team still firing on all cylinders - Moses Mikel Balogun - if Ikeme makes it back - added blessing.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Chimurenga Rebel wrote:As someone from a minor African footballing country during the mundial I become an honorary Nigerian, Cameroonian, Ghanaian, Algerian, Senegalese, Tunisian, Ivorian..... etc

My greatest frustration is to see the likes of Cameroon and Tunisia qualify time and time again with the same result. With the Cameroonians there are always stories of money squables and problems with their FA. The results on the pitch apart from 1990 speak for themselves. The Tunisians just seem to suffer from a massive inferiority complex when playing non African opposition.

With Nigeria halfway into the departure lounge for Russia 2018, I hope the Super Eagles and whoever else represents our beloved continent give their all. Hopefully we will see one or two new names from the African continent in Russia? Cape Verde or Burkina Faso perhaps?
I also hope the Egyptians finally make it to the world cup again, I am confident they will give a good account of themselves.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

inferiority complex..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No we're just not that good.

Tunisia struggles at the World cup have nothing to do with the NT state of mind. Frankly Tunisia is a nation that has punched above its weight, a nation that still has yet to address systemic issues in order to make a genuine leap into a viable last 16 stage WC representative. I.e woeful levels of Tunisian players conditioning.
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Isn't Tunisia supposed to be one of the most organized countries in Africa in general?

It's been a long time since I checked, but if I remember clearly Tunisia does well in areas such as ease of doing business, R&D etc.

So why shouldn't the organization be among the best in Africa, in football terms?
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I don't think your choice of words makes sense here. What does intelligent footballing nation mean?

Has Nigeria historically produced a better NT? Undoubtedly. There are maybe one or tow nations that can match Nigeria here.

Has Nigeria progressed further thanSenegal in a Mondial? No Senegal and Ghana have progressed furthest at QF level
smartbrother wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Cameroon should not be at this WC unless they get their act together. Their play and bonus problems have been embarrassing and Africa deserves better this.

Egypt will probably be there but I don't expect much from them. Ditto for Tunisia. I don't see Guinea being able to trouble them when the chips are down.

Nigeria should qualify too. While the Zambians are young and full of running, I don't think their team is cohesive enough to beat Nigeria in Uyo. They still need to mature a bit before they can do something st the WC

I have a feeling Morocco might pip CIV for the WC spot. Unlike most other N African sides the Moroccans have done well

Final spot is Senegal. Like Nigeria they have the potential to do well if the draw is favorable. Like Nigeria they've shown they can rise to the challenge
Senegal may get there but they are not on Nigeria's level
Nigeria is a far more intelligent footballing nation
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Tbite wrote:Isn't Tunisia supposed to be one of the most organized countries in Africa in general?

It's been a long time since I checked, but if I remember clearly Tunisia does well in areas such as ease of doing business, R&D etc.

So why shouldn't the organization be among the best in Africa, in football terms?
They are among the best in Africa at the NT level and definitely at club level
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

As long as we are bashing Cameroon let me talk about Nigeria too. We have shown great skill at the WC, but what we have not shown enough of is determination.

We have played 18 games at the WC and lost 10 of them. 4 of the losses (against Italy, Argentina, Sweden, Greece) happened after we took the lead. I will never forget the look of abject terror on the faces of the SE players after Kaita's red card against Greece, when they were still up 1-0. They crumbled mentally and lost a very winnable game.

Wha choo looking at?!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Scipio Africanus wrote:As long as we are bashing Cameroon let me talk about Nigeria too. We have shown great skill at the WC, but what we have not shown enough of is determination.

We have played 18 games at the WC and lost 10 of them. 4 of the losses (against Italy, Argentina, Sweden, Greece) happened after we took the lead. I will never forget the look of abject terror on the faces of the SE players after Kaita's red card against Greece, when they were still up 1-0. They crumbled mentally and lost a very winnable game.
Did that game kill Kaita's career or was it just a coincidence? Where would he be if he hadn't done that hmmm.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Tbite wrote:Isn't Tunisia supposed to be one of the most organized countries in Africa in general?

One of the most organized in CAF is hardly a difficult attribute.

Tunisia FTF does not do well, it's Esperance and to lesser extent Etoile and Sfax that carry Tunisian football. Locally against the most CAF competition Tunisia does well but despite "great organization" where's the success....3 ANC finals, with 1 solitary victory in 2004 ...meh.... :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored:
Detective Bunk Moreland

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

You are being too humble. Tunisia play a very good style of football both at NTand club level. Right now I dunno if I can list two African nations better than Tunisia at the NT level.

For me Tunisia stands among the best in player development and harmonization of the way 11 players play on the field.

Tunisian Gooner wrote:

Tunisia FTF does not do well, it's Esperance and to lesser extent Etoile and Sfax that carry Tunisian football. Locally against the most CAF competition Tunisia does well but despite "great organization" where's the success....3 ANC finals, with 1 solitary victory in 2004 ...meh.... :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored: :bored:
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Kabalega wrote:

Anywhere I see the name "Onyango" written, I can easily guess "Oga Kabalega" is the writer and I have been correct 98% of the times :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

YUJAM wrote:You are being too humble. Tunisia play a very good style of football both at NTand club level. Right now I dunno if I can list two African nations better than Tunisia at the NT level.

For me Tunisia stands among the best in player development and harmonization of the way 11 players play on the field.

Tunisian Gooner wrote:

Tunisia retains advantage of stability, Esperance, Etoile and Sfax a pipeline to the NT. That harmonization makes Tunisian sides both cub and country better able to exploit flawed set up of many CAF NT and clubs.

What we do is simply take great advantage of ineptitude that engulfs most CAF nations. That said when it comes to winning when it counts, for the NT we fail to deliver. Tunisia have not even reached a semi final of the ANC since 2004.

NT has yet to address near 2 decade long issues regarding condition, physicality, tactical IQ, diversity of squad footballistically...etc etc etc.
Detective Bunk Moreland

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I would like to see Cape Verde there. They got DQd out of qualification last time on a technicality.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Odas wrote:Whatever the case, an African team need to punch their way to the "semi final"; at least, in Russia. We need to improve from the past
I think SE should target the world cup,go for it,either park the bus get the one goal and defend .Italy play ugly win the world cup,Chelsea same win CL.Worst case they might make semi
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

kajifu wrote:
Odas wrote:Whatever the case, an African team need to punch their way to the "semi final"; at least, in Russia. We need to improve from the past
I think SE should target the world cup,go for it,either park the bus get the one goal and defend .Italy play ugly win the world cup,Chelsea same win CL.Worst case they might make semi
A certain team in CAF comes to mind... :wink: :D but they play attractive footie too and they just might represent Africa. :thumb:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

YUJAM wrote:I don't think your choice of words makes sense here. What does intelligent footballing nation mean?
smartbrother wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Cameroon should not be at this WC unless they get their act together. Their play and bonus problems have been embarrassing and Africa deserves better this.

Egypt will probably be there but I don't expect much from them. Ditto for Tunisia. I don't see Guinea being able to trouble them when the chips are down.

Nigeria should qualify too. While the Zambians are young and full of running, I don't think their team is cohesive enough to beat Nigeria in Uyo. They still need to mature a bit before they can do something st the WC

I have a feeling Morocco might pip CIV for the WC spot. Unlike most other N African sides the Moroccans have done well

Final spot is Senegal. Like Nigeria they have the potential to do well if the draw is favorable. Like Nigeria they've shown they can rise to the challenge

let me clarify
by African standards Nigeria plays a cerebral brand of football based on passing, skill and heightened understanding of the game.
Its ingrained into our footballing culture. Even at street football level
Senegal produces very skillful individual footballers but they play what i call antelope football the African version of kick and rush
A very dumb brand of football based primarily on physicality and athleticism
This is why despite having produced so many amazing individual players over the years - some of whom nigeria and cameroon wouldve killed to have - Senegal has never won an African nations cup and rarely make it beyond the Qfinals
The collective football IQ of Senegal is very low compared to nigeria
thats what i mean
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

smartbrother wrote:
YUJAM wrote:I don't think your choice of words makes sense here. What does intelligent footballing nation mean?
smartbrother wrote:

let me clarify
by African standards Nigeria plays a cerebral brand of football based on passing, skill and heightened understanding of the game.
Its ingrained into our footballing culture. Even at street football level
Senegal produces very skillful individual footballers but they play what i call antelope football the African version of kick and rush
A very dumb brand of football based primarily on physicality and athleticism
This is why despite having produced so many amazing individual players over the years - some of whom nigeria and cameroon wouldve killed to have - Senegal has never won an African nations cup and rarely make it beyond the Qfinals
The collective football IQ of Senegal is very low compared to nigeria
thats what i mean
Oh boy... the fact that you cannot see how bigoted you sound is what's so mind boggling. :( :(

Senegal has gone further than us at the World Cup. That same team defeated us in 2002 at the AFCON. How is that possible if they're what you claim?

They suffer from poor organisation just like us. The difference is we have a much larger population and able to produce more talent to make that fraction of a difference. When they got their act together they performed better than us.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Orion first of all I dispute your assertion we have more talented players
Senegal has produced more unbelievably talented players in the last two decades than Nigeria
From demba ba to mane to cisse to diouf, Diao etc the list goes on and on
Secondly and I say this with all due respect bro
the level of reasoning reflected in your post leads me to believe you have recently experienced some sort of brain trauma
How does them having one good year 15 years ago refute what I claim?
What about 99 of the last 100 years
Even a 6 year old with a fundamental grasp of statistical significance would not make a post so stupid
Please do yourself a favour and get an MRI scan
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Makanaky wrote:Everyone and their Mom's getting all disrespectful on CE.
Cameron where in the world cup when your ancestors where wondering what that machine in the air was.

Had it not been for the IL's in 82 and 90 the world cup would have just been a dream for a lot of countries in Africa.

Sit down and STFU!
:thumbs: :thumbs: :clap: :clap:
Best African team ever at any world cup. I will always respect cameroon

Chimurenga Rebel I disagree, it makes no difference who goes they are all sh.it. Sorry chief
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q