Frank De Boer sacked by Palace after 4 games

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Frank De Boer sacked by Palace after 4 games

Post by Enugu II »

cic old boy wrote:
Enugu II wrote: cic old boy,

Why do you state that they cannot trap a bag of cement. Did they not receive the vaunted football education of Europe?
:lol: Enugu, England and Europe are a different ball game footballistically. Controlling the ball is optional in England. :lol: It is the old "hot potato" syndrome - get rid of the ball as quickly as possible, hoof it into Row Z. In the old days, Brian Clough tried to teach them to play: "treat the ball like your girlfriend". :lol:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: I dey laff ooo! In any case, I jus wan talk am.
Last edited by Enugu II on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

txj wrote:
Waffiman wrote:Roy Hodgson will be Crystal Palace new Manager.
You have to wonder at FDB's decisions also. If he was brought in to change the footballing philosophy of the team, and it appears he was, what guarantee did he ask for and was given? Given the squad remained the same, you wonder at his decision to take the job...

He tried a passing game vs Huddersfield and lost. At Liverpool he went long ball and lost; vs Burnley he went back to his passing principles and lost...

This is similar to the inconsistency he showed at Inter before getting the pink slip...

I still cannot get over the idiocy of all of this. You hire an Ajax-bred coach, given him a Sam Allardyce squad and ask for good football, then sack him after four games? But just when you thought sacking De Boer was idiotic, they out did their initial idiocy by hiring Hodgson. Unbelievable!
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Waffiman wrote:
txj wrote:
You have to wonder at FDB's decisions also. If he was brought in to change the footballing philosophy of the team, and it appears he was, what guarantee did he ask for and was given? Given the squad remained the same, you wonder at his decision to take the job...

He tried a passing game vs Huddersfield and lost. At Liverpool he went long ball and lost; vs Burnley he went back to his passing principles and lost...

This is similar to the inconsistency he showed at Inter before getting the pink slip...

I still cannot get over the idiocy of all of this. You hire an Ajax-bred coach, given him a Sam Allardyce squad and ask for good football, then sack him after four games? But just when you thought sacking De Boer was idiotic, they out did their initial idiocy by hiring Hodgson. Unbelievable!
Waffi, it's late, please go to bed.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Benteke is in the class of players that I would call Coach Kryptonite. Looks the part; would cost a pretty penny. But he never delivers. After a half season of 'almost goals', and 'inches wide', you will find yourself at the bottom of the table with your chairman telling you "but we bought you Benteke". You bought me shite....thats what you bought me...Shite..

Coaches would be wise to stay away from the likes of Benteke....
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^Palace are a one-dimensional side who mistakenly assumed evolution needed no more than a straight nosed, pointy faced Ash Ketchum and a jaundiced, overgrown hamster. A paint brush in the hands of labourers is just another shovel. Palace have been assembled and consequently built for one cause, anything else was idiocy.

Couldn't agree more re: Benteke, at Villa, he was an obelisk, a powerhouse, capable of saving the sinking ship. In a bigger boat, he's a cargo that edges the waves closer to starboard. The promise is there, but seldom delivered upon with the consistency that keeps the manager in office.

Hodgson is another bread and butter appointment, the predictable outcome of a spin on the managerial wheel of misfortune. Come May, Palace will look, once again, to invite a modern man to their Jurassic Park.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

deanotito wrote:Benteke is in the class of players that I would call Coach Kryptonite. Looks the part; would cost a pretty penny. But he never delivers. After a half season of 'almost goals', and 'inches wide', you will find yourself at the bottom of the table with your chairman telling you "but we bought you Benteke". You bought me shite....thats what you bought me...Shite..
:agree:
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
txj wrote:

Waffi, it's late, please go to bed.
You nko! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

deanotito wrote:Benteke is in the class of players that I would call Coach Kryptonite. Looks the part; would cost a pretty penny. But he never delivers. After a half season of 'almost goals', and 'inches wide', you will find yourself at the bottom of the table with your chairman telling you "but we bought you Benteke". You bought me shite....thats what you bought me...Shite..

Yeah blame the black man, why not play to his strength? But anyway The guy is a one dimensional striker, he is expected to atleast win the balls in the air, Andy Carrol was wining all his aerial battle.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
benteke wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
anikulapo wrote:CIC what are you giggling about? You just highlighted what I'm talking about!

Their coaching is outdated and even their people are saying it but you keep crying more than the bereaved ... Oya have it ya way
:lol: I'm giggling at YOU b/c your article repeats everything I said and you are the one claiming I don't know about the game!! :lol: :lol:

Here are my quotes:

The problem of rigidly sticking to the system without players to match:
This reminds me of the old chestnut of coaching - do you fit your system to the players you have, or get the players to fit the system?

I remember Ancelotti saying he preferred the former approach. De Boer (Ajax/Barca approach) thought he could get away with the latter. There's no point trying to play a passing game with players that can't trap a bag of cement.
Dutch coaching by another name (the article mentions Spain/Barcelona/Cruyff and Germany, I mentioned Cruyff, Pep)
Dutch coaching is what you have at Man City - Rinus Michels is the grandfather, Cruyff the son, Guardiola the grandchild.
Availability of talent and the system (the article says Gullit told Cruyff he could do it at Barca but not at Levante).
Focus first on what I said earlier - adapt system to suit players or get players to fit the system. Guardiola is doing the same thing as De Boer. The difference is that Guardiola has the means to buy the players to implement the system. It has nothing to do with the success/failure of Dutch coaching.
What is happening to Holland (the article says good youngsters are not coming through and Ajax lacks financial muscle to compete):
Holland is a very small country. They always have slumps in the production of talent. It happened after Cruyff until Gullit and Van Basten turned up. It happened after those two. It is happening now. Nothing to do with the coaching. More about talent not coming through and clubs like Ajax not being able to compete with the European superpowers

I am also a of the same opinion, i am wondering what exact is outdated about Dutch style of coaching.

I saw Van Goal come to United and try a philosophy that was not much different to Guardiola and De Boer, he also struggled with lack of proper players for his ambitions.
He even started off with 3 at the back that was critic back then but the trick of the moment currently Becky Conte won the league with it.

Nothing outdated about Dutch style in my opinion, i am with you on this CiC.

And i think De Boer would have been more suited to a team like Swansea that has been passing it for ages despite their limited resources.
If you have watched De Boer for years, you'll know that his biggest problem is that he is inept. He doesnt know tactics. lol. Has nothing to do with passing or whatever philosophy. He has built his coaching career on his famous name.
That would be one area we can debate upon, i haven't followed the guy before.

Now if he is truly inept, that should beg the question why Crystal Palace chose him in the first place.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

English clubs dont know football. Thats the problem. In fact, you listen to the average Englishman, and he knows nothing about football. He rather speaks about "English spirit!" "get stuck in!" "Passion for the shirt" etc etc, than outline tactics. Listen to most of the CE members who live in England and they are almost as bad. Tells you all you need to know.

They have gone for Hodgson. What does that tell you?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

danfo driver wrote:
benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
benteke wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
anikulapo wrote:CIC what are you giggling about? You just highlighted what I'm talking about!

Their coaching is outdated and even their people are saying it but you keep crying more than the bereaved ... Oya have it ya way
:lol: I'm giggling at YOU b/c your article repeats everything I said and you are the one claiming I don't know about the game!! :lol: :lol:

Here are my quotes:

The problem of rigidly sticking to the system without players to match:
This reminds me of the old chestnut of coaching - do you fit your system to the players you have, or get the players to fit the system?

I remember Ancelotti saying he preferred the former approach. De Boer (Ajax/Barca approach) thought he could get away with the latter. There's no point trying to play a passing game with players that can't trap a bag of cement.
Dutch coaching by another name (the article mentions Spain/Barcelona/Cruyff and Germany, I mentioned Cruyff, Pep)
Dutch coaching is what you have at Man City - Rinus Michels is the grandfather, Cruyff the son, Guardiola the grandchild.
Availability of talent and the system (the article says Gullit told Cruyff he could do it at Barca but not at Levante).
Focus first on what I said earlier - adapt system to suit players or get players to fit the system. Guardiola is doing the same thing as De Boer. The difference is that Guardiola has the means to buy the players to implement the system. It has nothing to do with the success/failure of Dutch coaching.
What is happening to Holland (the article says good youngsters are not coming through and Ajax lacks financial muscle to compete):
Holland is a very small country. They always have slumps in the production of talent. It happened after Cruyff until Gullit and Van Basten turned up. It happened after those two. It is happening now. Nothing to do with the coaching. More about talent not coming through and clubs like Ajax not being able to compete with the European superpowers

I am also a of the same opinion, i am wondering what exact is outdated about Dutch style of coaching.

I saw Van Goal come to United and try a philosophy that was not much different to Guardiola and De Boer, he also struggled with lack of proper players for his ambitions.
He even started off with 3 at the back that was critic back then but the trick of the moment currently Becky Conte won the league with it.

Nothing outdated about Dutch style in my opinion, i am with you on this CiC.

And i think De Boer would have been more suited to a team like Swansea that has been passing it for ages despite their limited resources.
If you have watched De Boer for years, you'll know that his biggest problem is that he is inept. He doesnt know tactics. lol. Has nothing to do with passing or whatever philosophy. He has built his coaching career on his famous name.
That would be one area we can debate upon, i haven't followed the guy before.

Now if he is truly inept, that should beg the question why Crystal Palace chose him in the first place.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

English clubs dont know football. Thats the problem. In fact, you listen to the average Englishman, and he knows nothing about football. He rather speaks about "English spirit!" "get stuck in!" "Passion for the shirt" etc etc, than outline tactics. Listen to most of the CE members who live in England and they are almost as bad. Tells you all you need to know.

They have gone for Hodgson. What does that tell you?
:rotf:
Does this mean all that wealth of football knowledge on Arsenal season thread is just having a bubble :biggrin:
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Chief I hear you but the open net header one of his players missed from point blank range around the 90th min that would have saved a point was pretty much the last nail. You can lead a horse to the well but sadly you can't make it drink
oloye wrote:If there waa ever a reason why i refused to go into coaching after football, take a look at the stupid Palace player that misplaced the pass that finally got De Boer sacked!

He controlled the ball far up in the opponents half, brought the ball back towards his own goal, his team mate was at a passing distance and free....what did he do, he opted to make one of the longest back pass to a keeper , in fact if he was thinking of safety and bereft of what to do..tapping the ball into throwing was the safest option. He made a pass that beat all his defenders , got nowhere near his keeper and was sitting pretty for the opposing attacker...bye...De Boer got his sack letter!

I felt like entering my tv and give the racoon of a player a dirty stinging and stinking slap to let him know how i felt.

My advice,stay away from dumb player!
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

danfo driver wrote:[s. Listen to most of the CE members who live in England and they are almost as bad. Tells you all you need to know.
Danfo you killed me with laughter today :laugh:
Any names on particular please don't be shy :mrgreen:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

This was harsh. What did they expect him to do after 4 games - qualify CP for the Champions League? The sacking is more ironic given that it came after their best performance of the season, in a game where they should have comfortably won 3-1 or 4-1. They missed a hatful of chances, Burnley cleared off the line 2-3 times, and Dann missed an utter sitter in the last minute. He could actually have let the ball hit him in the face and go in - it was that easy (from 2-3 yards out).
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Meanwhile the sentiment is that Villa should still stick will brainless Bruce...who'll more than likely be championed for the Irons throne (boom!) when Bilic bites the bullet.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

welcome (back) to The Best League Woy

now CP have gone 5 games with 0 goals scored

next 3 fixtures...
City - away
United - away
Chelsea - home

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

tfco wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

welcome (back) to The Best League Woy

now CP have gone 5 games with 0 goals scored

next 3 fixtures...
City - away
United - away
Chelsea - home

Woy might end up with a worse start than FdB.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^and he won't be sacked after failing miserably in all four.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:[s. Listen to most of the CE members who live in England and they are almost as bad. Tells you all you need to know.
Danfo you killed me with laughter today :laugh:
Any names on particular please don't be shy :mrgreen:
Smart Brother comes to mind :lol: :lol: :lol:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Welcome to The Best League...again

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

tfco wrote:Welcome to The Best League...again
its tough to win in this league, you're right.

For instance, your neighbors have only scored 16 while conceding zero in their past 3 games.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

King Futcha wrote:

For instance, your neighbors have only scored 16 while conceding zero in their past 3 games.
swings and roundabouts

16 in 3 games
14 in 2 games

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

tfco wrote:
King Futcha wrote:

swings and roundabouts

16 in 3 games
14 in 2 games

are we talking about the EPL or are we talking about La Liga? Are we talking about last season or are we talking about this season?

Thanks in advance for clarifying.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

NDL

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S