10 outside bets for Nigeria's World Cup squad

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Eddydove
Egg
Egg
10 outside bets for Nigeria's World Cup squad

Post by Eddydove »

Hi guys,

Hope all well and that everyone's still buzzing after the international break.

Here are 10 outside bets to make Nigeria's World Cup squad (assuming we get there). Which of this lot would you like to see reconsidered by Gernot Rohr? Any other Super Eagles you'd like back in the fold?

Complete explanations here: http://bit.ly/2xXqAz9

Efe Ambrose, Fanendo Adi, Vincent Enyeama, Emmanuel Emenike, Joel Obi, Isaac Success, Larry Kayode, Sone Aluko, Raheem Lawal, Ideye Brown

Best,

@EddyDove
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 10 outside bets for Nigeria's World Cup squad

Post by Dammy »

I agree with most of what the author comments until he said Efe Ambrose is a better option than Chidozie Awaziem. Like a CE posted Awaziem's star is on the rise and club-wise, he has played at a higher level than Ambrose. Efe Ambrose is in the past and this is a player that Celtic fans literally chased out of their club due to poor performances. Awaziem has already broken into the starting XI at Nantes and no other Nigerian centre-back apart from Leon Balogun plays at such a high level.
I am happy
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Vince, Emenike, and Ideye are the only ones I would pick.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Ambrose just takes us back 5 years :boo:
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
gmoni1
Egg
Egg

Post by gmoni1 »

Larry Kayode, Sone Aluko, Raheem Lawal, are the best.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Dammy wrote:I agree with most of what the author comments until he said Efe Ambrose is a better option than Chidozie Awaziem. Like a CE posted Awaziem's star is on the rise and club-wise, he has played at a higher level than Ambrose. Efe Ambrose is in the past and this is a player that Celtic fans literally chased out of their club due to poor performances. Awaziem has already broken into the starting XI at Nantes and no other Nigerian centre-back apart from Leon Balogun plays at such a high level.
While I agree that Awaziem is a better option than Ambrose...
He does not play at CB at Nantes and has dropped back to the bench post-suspension (just as I had feared).
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Gotti wrote:
Dammy wrote:I agree with most of what the author comments until he said Efe Ambrose is a better option than Chidozie Awaziem. Like a CE posted Awaziem's star is on the rise and club-wise, he has played at a higher level than Ambrose. Efe Ambrose is in the past and this is a player that Celtic fans literally chased out of their club due to poor performances. Awaziem has already broken into the starting XI at Nantes and no other Nigerian centre-back apart from Leon Balogun plays at such a high level.
While I agree that Awaziem is a better option than Ambrose...
He does not play at CB at Nantes and has dropped back to the bench post-suspension (just as I had feared).
i do not rate Awanzie at all
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

For some strange reason, I was thinking you would have to qualify for the world Cup first.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

bamenda boy wrote:For some strange reason, I was thinking you would have to qualify for the world Cup first.
And for some strange reason, I was thinking you would have to read and actually comprehend a post before commenting...

Given that the OP clearly premises his post with "assuming we get there" (in the parenthesis). :oops:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Eddydove wrote:Hi guys,

Here are 10 outside bets to make Nigeria's World Cup squad (assuming we get there). Which of this lot would you like to see reconsidered by Gernot Rohr? Any other Super Eagles you'd like back in the fold?

Efe Ambrose
Really like him as he can play across the four back positions (even if often distracted as a CD) and can initiate attacks from the back while scoring the occasional goal with headers . The emergence of Ola Aina may shut the door on him though as Aina can also play both full back positions.

Fanendo Adi

Can he get the nod ahead of Ighalo, Ideye, Aaron Samuel and Nwaekeme? He has not really been part of the SE setup. It will be tough

Vincent Enyeama

Vince will get a call back as long as he can get a club and stay fit. His experience could really help the team, but I'm not sure he is one of the top 3 keepers available to represent Nigeria today.

Emmanuel Emenike

Emenike retired and has shown nothing in the last year to deserve a callup to the SE.

Joel Obi
If he can stay injury free and have a good season, he can really help the team. The fact that he is playing further upfield these day could make him an AM option behind Mikel. He will be a different type of AM (similar to Igbonu, but an upgrade), but he will be good for the SE. A good southpaw is never a bad thing.

Isaac Success
Has shown nothing to suggest he will be more than an average senior level player. We should hope he can make a good living as a successful professional, but I'm not sure he has anything to contribute to the SE.

Larry Kayode

Not a fan of his, but if he scores 15+ goals in Spain, I will have no problems if he he called up. I think Nigeria has better options though.

Sone Aluko
He was very good on his last outing for Nigeria and sad that he has not been invited back. He needs to have a really good season to get a look in, but the re-emergence of Joel Obi (another southpaw who now plays further upfiield) means it will be an uphill battle for Sone to get a recall to the Eagles.

Raheem Lawal

Not happening. Has the reputation of being troublesome. Too many DMs and CMs ahead of him. Ndidi, Onazi, Mikel, Esiti, Agu, Ogu, maybe even Rabiu Ali!

Ideye Brown

I like Ideye, but I am beginning to question his motivation. He gave an interview to BBC a few months back about his move to China (was going on about the money, when a question about career progress was asked), and I was thinking, even if you think that way, you can be diplomatic and not so blatant. A few weeks later, he was dropped (I guess he thought he could just settle for a big paycheck and not put in the effort).

Looks like his attempt to move back to Europe has hit a snag as well

You can argue that Keshi took 4 big strikers (Emenike, Uchebo, Nwafor, Ameobi) to Brazil. 3 of them, and at least 4 other players on that WC team should not have been on a Nigeria B team in 2014, but that is an aside. I doubt that Rohr will take more than 2, and it might be based on 'what have you done lately?'. Nwaekeme, Samuel and Ighalo were invited against Cameroon and Ighalo seems to have his nose in front at the moment. Ideye needs a good season somewhere to get back in the mix.

Best,

@EddyDove
Last edited by truetalk on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Gotti wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:For some strange reason, I was thinking you would have to qualify for the world Cup first.
And for some strange reason, I was thinking you would have to read and actually comprehend a post before commenting...

Given that the OP clearly premises his post with "assuming we get there" (in the parenthesis). :oops:

To be fair, bamenda goats can't reason that deep, that's why they always muguly follow yam (in this case ..plantain) to the slaughter.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Our attacking options are pretty good right now and I don't see anyone who could improve the midfield so our defense is what we should be looking to shore up. That's where Enyeama and Ambrose come in. Both guys can really help improve the squad. For all that's been said about Efe, he is still one of our better defenders and would make a really decent backup if nothing else. I need not say anything about Vincent cos y'all already know :!: :!: :!:

Cheers.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Gotti wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I believe "Bamenda boy" is still bitter we collected four points from his people; therefore, anything about the world cup (WC) and Nigeria is not to be written or mentioned.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Joel Obi, Isaac Success, Sone Aluko. The rest....naah, I no want. I have a soft spot for Emenike, but he's not really world class, and he said he doesn't want to play for us anymore.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Joel Obi - I fear his injury history means this will never happen.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Efe Ambrose, Fanendo Adi, Vincent Enyeama, Emmanuel Emenike, Joel Obi, Isaac Success, Larry Kayode, Sone Aluko, Raheem Lawal, Ideye Brown

Best,

@EddyDove
Fanendo Adi should be on the squad. He has a skill set we need on the team.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Best,

@EddyDove
Of the lot, my choice is Vincent Enyeama. Others to consider are Sadiq Umar and Orji Okonkwo with longshot chances.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:

Best,

@EddyDove
Of the lot, my choice is Vincent Enyeama. Others to consider are Sadiq Umar and Orji Okonkwo with longshot chances.
Vinny is not a long shot. If he is healthy he is on the squad.

Sadiq Umar is not better than Fanendo Adi. But I wll take Sadiq over Tammy thou.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Best,

@EddyDove

Sadiq Umar is not better than Fanendo Adi. But I wll take Sadiq over Tammy thou.
I like Fenando but not ahead of Umar. I think Umar is a guy that is seriously being overlooked. This guy is a handful for any centre back. How I wish he gets the chance to prove it in camp.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Best,

@EddyDove

I like Fenando but not ahead of Umar. I think Umar is a guy that is seriously being overlooked. This guy is a handful for any centre back. How I wish he gets the chance to prove it in camp.
I hope say di bobo don add strength or worked on his core.
Small quacking bobo go dey fall around like pesin way no chop akpu or amala growing up.
Na di kin bobo NFF should be encouraging.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

truetalk wrote:

Efe Ambrose
Really like him as he can play across the four back positions (even if often distracted as a CD) and can initiate attacks from the back while scoring the occasional goal with headers . The emergence of Ola Aina may shut the door on him though as Aina can also play both full back positions.

Fanendo Adi

Can he get the nod ahead of Ighalo, Ideye, Aaron Samuel and Nwaekeme? He has not really been part of the SE setup. It will be tough

Vincent Enyeama

Vince will get a call back as long as he can get a club and stay fit. His experience could really help the team, but I'm not sure he is one of the top 3 keepers available to represent Nigeria today.

Emmanuel Emenike

Emenike retired and has shown nothing in the last year to deserve a callup to the SE.

Joel Obi
If he can stay injury free and have a good season, he can really help the team. The fact that he is playing further upfield these day could make him an AM option behind Mikel. He will be a different type of AM (similar to Igbonu, but an upgrade), but he will be good for the SE. A good southpaw is never a bad thing.

Isaac Success
Has shown nothing to suggest he will be more than an average senior level player. We should hope he can make a good living as a successful professional, but I'm not sure he has anything to contribute to the SE.

Larry Kayode

Not a fan of his, but if he scores 15+ goals in Spain, I will have no problems if he he called up. I think Nigeria has better options though.

Sone Aluko
He was very good on his last outing for Nigeria and sad that he has not been invited back. He needs to have a really good season to get a look in, but the re-emergence of Joel Obi (another southpaw who now plays further upfiield) means it will be an uphill battle for Sone to get a recall to the Eagles.

Raheem Lawal

Not happening. Has the reputation of being troublesome. Too many DMs and CMs ahead of him. Ndidi, Onazi, Mikel, Esiti, Agu, Ogu, maybe even Rabiu Ali!

Ideye Brown

I like Ideye, but I am beginning to question his motivation. He gave an interview to BBC a few months back about his move to China (was going on about the money, when a question about career progress was asked), and I was thinking, even if you think that way, you can be diplomatic and not so blatant. A few weeks later, he was dropped (I guess he thought he could just settle for a big paycheck and not put in the effort).

You can argue that Keshi took 4 big strikers (Emenike, Uchebo, Nwafor, Ameobi) to Brazil. 3 of them, and at least 4 other players on that WC team should not have been on a Nigeria B team in 2014, but that is an aside. I doubt that Rohr will take more than 2, and it might be based on 'what have you done lately?'. Nwaekeme, Samuel and Ighalo were invited against Cameroon and Ighalo seems to have his nose in front at the moment. Ideye needs a good season somewhere to get back in the mix.

Best,

@EddyDove
Thank you very much sir!. This, in my view is qualified "true talk".
gmoni1
Egg
Egg

Post by gmoni1 »

Sone Aluko, is one of the best.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

truetalk wrote:

Efe Ambrose

Fanendo Adi

Vincent Enyeama

Emmanuel Emenike

Joel Obi

Isaac Success

Larry Kayode

Sone Aluko

Raheem Lawal

Ideye Brown

Best,

@EddyDove
For AM, no way should Joel Obi get a look in over Sone Aluko. He's less injury prone and is much more effective behind the striker.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!