Wouldn't it be nice if our Russia 2018 team looked like this

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Wouldn't it be nice if our Russia 2018 team looked like this

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

...with all these players in their prime:

*************************************Emenike*********************************

**************Moses***********************************Finidi*****************

***************************************Okocha********************************

***********************Mikel************************Oliseh*******************

***Babayaro*****************Taribo************Keshi*************Odiah***

**************************************Rufai************************************
waka-man
Egg
Egg
Re: Wouldn't it be nice if our Russia 2018 team looked like

Post by waka-man »

Fun list!

Yekini trumps Emenike.
Amunike for me over Moses. Just.
Enyeama for Rufai.
Yobo for Ordiah.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:...with all these players in their prime:

Sofoluwe ahead of Babayaro all day
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

Just thinking,

Would they defeat a
.Brazilian team in their Prime with Pele ?
.Argentinian team in their prime led by Diego ?
.German team in their prime led by Franz Beckenbauer ?
.French Team in their prime with Cantona ?
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Dude Okocha and Co just got thrashed 8-1 in the star sixes. They had limitations that may not have been obvious but would be exposed in today's football.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

waka-man wrote:Fun list!

Yekini trumps Emenike.
Enyeama for Rufai.
Yobo for Ordiah.

This matter will always be subjective. For me, Emenike is the complete striker, Yobo was not a rightback, Rufai of 94, was world class and Amunike was not as complete a winger as Moses in my opinion.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

No tacklers in that midfield, no chance.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Muda Lawal ahead of Mikel

Yekini ahead of Emenike( I can't believe you picked Emenike ahead of Yekini)

Amunike ahead of Moses

Odegbami ahead of Finidi

Christian Chukwu ahead of Taribo
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Yekini trumps Emenike.
Enyeama for Rufai.
Yobo for Ordiah.

This matter will always be subjective. For me, Emenike is the complete striker, Yobo was not a rightback, Rufai of 94, was world class and Amunike was not as complete a winger as Moses in my opinion.
Please provide Emenike's stats that qualify him as 'the complete striker'. To me he is just a slightly better Edith Agoye but with horrible positioning and decision making. For me Obafemi Martins at Inter Milan was much better not to mention Richard Owuobokiri, Jonathan Akpoborie, Chibuzor Ehilegbu & the untouchable Rasheed Yekini who keeps any defence busy and on emergency alert for 90+ mins always. Blasphemy!
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Yekini trumps Emenike.
Enyeama for Rufai.
Yobo for Ordiah.

:blink: :blink: ..WTF?? did he just type that without any PCP intake? :blink: :blink:
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:...with all these players in their prime:

Yekini for Emenike: Yekini has scored far more goals for NIgeria than Emenike.
Sofoluwe for Babayaro
Eyeama for Rufai (Enyeama has kept in more world cups and is pretty much Naija's best keeper ever)
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

paj wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Yekini trumps Emenike.
Enyeama for Rufai.
Yobo for Ordiah.

:blink: :blink: ..WTF?? did he just type that without any PCP intake? :blink: :blink:
You guys and nostalgia, Moses is much better, same Amu that looked like a mumu on the Barca team? He didn't have one tenth of Moses' ability, I've seen all the 1994 ANC and WC games, and some of his games at Barca, you guys overhype the bobos talent. A focused Moses with his head screwed on right is much better.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

maceo4 wrote:
paj wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Yekini trumps Emenike.
Enyeama for Rufai.
Yobo for Ordiah.

You guys and nostalgia, Moses is much better, same Amu that looked like a mumu on the Barca team? He didn't have one tenth of Moses' ability, I've seen all the 1994 ANC and WC games, and some of his games at Barca, you guys overhype the bobos talent. A focused Moses with his head screwed on right is much better.
Father...forgive him ..for the opaks he's yanning...
Pa
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Wey Omokaro, Amokachi and Ikpeba?

Wha choo looking at?!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

maceo4 wrote:
paj wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Yekini trumps Emenike.
Enyeama for Rufai.
Yobo for Ordiah.

Well if you're suggesting Moses isn't focused and his head isn't screwed on right then aren't you contradicting yourself?

I'd like to watch Amuneke again before I can give an educated opinion but I think he was a better ambidextrous player and was very good aerially. Can't say the same for Moses. I still remember him tearing it up at the Cairo 91 All Africa Games. My Lord. Unfortunately he lost his head in the semis against Cameroon and got tossed for decking an opponent thus costing us the game.

Off the top of my head I think Moses may be more skilful but Amuneke more businesslike.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

If every team at the wc could do the same we still wouldn't do better than what we're used to. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

theYemster wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
paj wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Yekini trumps Emenike.
Enyeama for Rufai.
Yobo for Ordiah.

Well if you're suggesting Moses isn't focused and his head isn't screwed on right then aren't you contradicting yourself?

I'd like to watch Amuneke again before I can give an educated opinion but I think he was a better ambidextrous player and was very good aerially. Can't say the same for Moses. I still remember him tearing it up at the Cairo 91 All Africa Games. My Lord. Unfortunately he lost his head in the semis against Cameroon and got tossed for decking an opponent thus costing us the game.

Off the top of my head I think Moses may be more skilful but Amuneke more businesslike.
The Moses of today has his head screwed on properly and is more playing more business like than he was a few seasons ago and it's showing in his SE displays. I mean to me All African games can't be the barometer to judge how good Amun was, he wasn't even a starter for SE until the finals in ANC 94, and he did well at the WC, but to me his talent level is nowhere near a Moses and Moses is starting to perform consistently at a high level, where Emma failed to really perform at Barca when he got to that sort of level.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

Why dealing with illusional possibilities?
We have a powerful squad which needs improvements in some departments.
Talking about the current squad we still need depth/quality in both full back positions.
Furthermore I believe we need a quality back-up/successor for Mikel Obi. Ovie Ejaria is a raw diamond diamond who is yet to break through. Nigeria will only have a chance to get him if we cap him before he becomes a star like Dele Alli.
In the attacking department V. Moses, Moses Simon, Kelechi, Iwobi, Ighalo and Ahmed Musa are quite certain to make our WC squad but Dennis Bonnavenura should be a serious contender.
The long and short of it, we have a very potent WC squad without Jay Jay, Finidi and co.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

I'm assuming this is about 94 to present otherwise Odegbami and Chukwu would be in there.
On the Moses V Amunike debate:
Moses is nowhere (yet) at the Amunike 94 level. Sadly injury ruined his Barca careeer which may cloud people's memories. If you really want to get a sense of the man, watch the Bulgaria 94 game. He was devastating.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

If everyone came up with their best 11, we would all have different teams. It was hard for instance leaving out Christian Chukwu, Sylvanus Okpalla and Okey Isima but alas, man no get choice.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

As Kongi rightly said, if every team could do likewise, Nigeria would receive and not just receive, but receeeeeeeeeeive!

At no point in time have the Super Eagles been super on a global scale. Some might argue the Olympians were just that, but one would contest the value of Olympic gold before a continental cup, be that Copa America, Af CoN, European Championships etc. Superlative demands the grandest stage and greatest yield. The World Cup.

The class of 94 were good but again it's all ifs and buts, much like the once heralded and now disappointingly dormant, KnK threads of Rant & Rave. Perhaps that squad today, with better in game management, could've gone on to much more in that tournament. Who knows.

Today, Nigeria is amongst the many also rans, who'll be hoping to emerge unscathed from the group, throw a punch in the round of sixteen, before being knocked unconscious there or thereabouts. Is there enough about the Eagles today to have them flap their wings beyond the usual exit point? There is indeed promise in the pedigree of personnel, Victor Moses, John Obi, Wilfred Ndidi, Kelechi Iheanacho et al are a decent spine, but there remains a lack of identity that promises to prove deleterious when the time arrives. In order to go beyond the usual, Nigeria needs to breakaway from routine and dare to be different. The tools are no lesser than that of Costa Rica and yet, they have eclipsed every distance run by Africa's kings.

Rohr has a big job on his hands and arguably finer tools than his predecessors, all things considered. Defenders may well have been better back then, but back then, were the opposing forwards not of a higher standard? The game became more centralised and in doing so, the rise of the number 8, saw the fall of the number 9. There are no Romarios, Baggio, Ronaldos locking horns with centre-halves, the threat now is much deeper or coming from the outside-in, Messi, Ronaldo, Robben, all be the latter savagely receding and very much a part of a regressing Orange army.

Rohr has a decent squad and with fine tuning, arguably a squad good enough to get into the dining room, as opposed to the peaking through the kitchen window. Failing that, he should calmly climb inside the pot carrying two scotch bonnets and a handful of okazi leaves, after firing up the gas.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Not really.

The brand of football that the Eagles played in the 90s was RARE. A disciplined 90s team would definitely have been true World Beaters, no doubt about it! The style supreme!

The problem is that a lot of teams today play with our 90s style! The 90s Eagles would still be good today, but they would be less effective without tactical massaging. The 90s was a missed opportunity for Nigeria, that team was not overhyped! Even the teams that beat them were take aback by their style of play!

That was a team that didn't know how good it was, and wasn't organized enough to take advantage of its strength!
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT