Examining Gernot Rohr......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Examining Gernot Rohr......

Post by Enugu II »

. . . his cautious tendencies mean that it takes him time to make changes. The fact that he kept faith with Akpeyi in goal, because Akpeyi had previous international experience, speaks volumes. Akpeyi probably would have remained first choice until injury forced Rohr’s hands. That cautious tendency has been demonstrated at other positions on the team. Think about this, in 8 matches managing Nigeria, Rohr has not consistently started any of the 12 players that he debuted.
The team's display in a hostile environment in Yaounde demonstrates that it is not awed by playing away from home and it has reached a level of discipline rarely approached by a Nigerian selection. What is unknown is how the team will perform at a major tournament like the FIFA World Cup?
For details, click on the link below:

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2017/09/e ... d-his.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Examining Gernot Rohr......

Post by 1naija »

Rohr is an experienced coach. He knows that good results are more important than sentimental selections. He has learnt his lesson from the SA game.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Yes, Rohr watches local league games but he has repeatedly made statements that local players are not good enough.
Sounds like a recurring theme from most of the coaches we have had in the past.
Importantly, Rohr’s thinking going forward is to use explosive players wide so that they can quickly get behind the defense in a counter as was demonstrated in the destruction of Cameroon in Uyo.
And this plays to our strengths. Regardless of the coach, we have looked the most dangerous when we sat back and countered for the past few years. Its when we had to try and break down a team that we have struggled in the past. Rohr's team (with Mikel and Moses present) looks a bit more capable of actually coming out of its shell when it needs to.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Excellent write-up as always. I believe the SE team is for the future, with players like Iwobi, Awaziem, Iheanacho, Success, Ndidi, Bazee, Ebuehi, Aina etc. The 2018 WC is coming too soon for these young players but I believe the team will really explode at the 2022 WC. Older players like Moses, Musa, Ekong, Shehu, Onazi etc will still be around in 2022 and the squad would have garnered a lot of experience by then. WC2018 will be the stepping stone for stunning the world in 2022.
I am happy
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Dammy wrote:Excellent write-up as always. I believe the SE team is for the future, with players like Iwobi, Awaziem, Iheanacho, Success, Ndidi, Bazee, Ebuehi, Aina etc. The 2018 WC is coming too soon for these young players but I believe the team will really explode at the 2022 WC. Older players like Moses, Musa, Ekong, Shehu, Onazi etc will still be around in 2022 and the squad would have garnered a lot of experience by then. WC2018 will be the stepping stone for stunning the world in 2022.
Nope! 2018 is the yr for this team. They have a legit shot at the semis if we plan well. Not buying into any 5yr plan in Nigeria, its fools gold. We are the one Nff election away from scattering everything Rohr has built so far. It's 2018 or bust.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Onazi and Ndidi combo is still not perfect IMO, at least in the attacking phase. They give up possession easily. Some quality players need to be added. Unfortunately it looks like we will be stuck with the DM pair due to Rohr's conservative approach.

Unless we are content with sitting back and breaking on the counter, this team is not built for high pressing game. Passing out of defense is still jittery.

Anytime Mikel gets substituted we struggle to keep possession. This was evident in our games vs Tanzania, Zambia, Cameroon.

This team as it is not yet complete and can barely compete at the world cup. We were found out by South Africa when we lost the spine of the team. Please watch Nigeria vs Mexico (0-0) in the build up to 2014 WC and assess if this team is stronger. Do we see this team doing watch Nigeria did to France in 80 mins of football? We must know that attack can be the best form of defense.
Of course we still have 9 months to the 2018 WC and opportunities to further strengthen the team, add depth and build chemistry.
Last edited by Robotnik on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

I think Rohr will experiment more after we qualify, not before and if those he tries out show him something they can displace mainstays like Awaziem seems to have done to Omeruo.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Robotnik wrote:Onazi and Ndidi combo is still not perfect IMO, at least in the attacking phase. They give up possession easily. Some quality players need to be added. Unfortunately it looks like we will be stuck with the DM pair due to Rohr's conservative approach.

Unless we are content with sitting back and breaking on the counter, this team is not built for high pressing game. Passing out of defense is still jittery.

Anytime Mikel gets substituted we struggle to keep possession. This was evident in our games vs Tanzania, Zambia, Cameroon.

This team as it is not yet complete and can barely compete at the world cup. We were found out by South Africa when we lost the spine of the team. Please watch Nigeria vs Mexico (0-0) in the build up to 2014 WC and assess if this team is stronger. Of course we still have 9 months to the 2018 WC and opportunities to further strengthen the team, add depth and build chemistry.
This team is about a yr behind where the 14 team was at this point before the 14 wc. At this point the 14 team had won Afcon a yr prior and played at the confederation cup. This team only has 5 competitive games to its record and about 3 friendlies. Of course they're not ready for the wc. Heck... even Germany are not ready for the wc. Nobody is at this point!
OCCUPY NFF!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Robotnik wrote:Onazi and Ndidi combo is still not perfect IMO, at least in the attacking phase. They give up possession easily. Some quality players need to be added. Unfortunately it looks like we will be stuck with the DM pair due to Rohr's conservative approach.

This team as it is not yet complete and can barely compete at the world cup. We were found out by South Africa when we lost the spine of the team. Please watch Nigeria vs Mexico (0-0) in the build up to 2014 WC and assess if this team is stronger. Do we see this team doing watch Nigeria did to France in 80 mins of football? We must know that attack can be the best form of defense.
Of course we still have 9 months to the 2018 WC and opportunities to further strengthen the team, add depth and build chemistry.
We were not "found out" against SA. The team was missing a core set of players. And no team will win every game. And yes, i think this team is better than the teams that played against both Mexico, and France at the world cup. No one has said its a complete team, but we have advanced from the teams at both the confeds and the wc.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I think the team is finally playing the way Rohr wants them to play after the 2 matches against Cameroon and it is going to be difficult for any new player to break into the starting XI unless somehow we discover a new LB. Not even a fully fit Joel Obi will be able to break into the starting XI and all the other players will be fighting for a place on the bench/squad. It is not a team of stars but the SE are finally playing like a TEAM. Rohr is conservative and is unlikely to change much as long as the team gets positive results.
I am happy
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Enugu II wrote:
The team's display in a hostile environment in Yaounde demonstrates that it is not awed by playing away from home and it has reached a level of discipline rarely approached by a Nigerian selection. What is unknown is how the team will perform at a major tournament like the FIFA World Cup?
Yaoundé (and maybe Zambia)? Hardly a large enough sample size to reach your conclusion wouldn't you say?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:

This team as it is not yet complete and can barely compete at the world cup. We were found out by South Africa when we lost the spine of the team. Please watch Nigeria vs Mexico (0-0) in the build up to 2014 WC and assess if this team is stronger. Of course we still have 9 months to the 2018 WC and opportunities to further strengthen the team, add depth and build chemistry.
This team is about a yr behind where the 14 team was at this point before the 14 wc. At this point the 14 team had won Afcon a yr prior and played at the confederation cup. This team only has 5 competitive games to its record and about 3 friendlies. Of course they're not ready for the wc. Heck... even Germany are not ready for the wc. Nobody is at this point!

nonsense

this team is far better than the team we took to WC 2014.

In virtually every position on the field.

Depth wise it is not even a question.

Much has been made about us being "found out" against SA.

Truth is that it was a young side without key players in Mikel, Moses, Balogun, Ighalo, (any capable keeper) and even at that we dominated the game and I suggest there was bad luck and poor lapses at key moments which cost us. SA at no time were in control of that match. We could have played that game with the exact same players and I bet we win most of the time. It was just not to be that day. I've watched that game over a few times so I know what I am talking about.

Take out the top midfielder, top striker, top winger, top defender, and top goalkeeper out of any team that isn't Brazil, Germany, or Argentina, Spain and THEY WILL STRUGGLE.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

How can anybody suggest the 2014 team is better than this one ?

The 2014 team couldn't beat Kenya at home

struggled against the likes of Malawi and Namibia during qualification.

Could rarely win on the road, while this current outfit beat AFrican champs 4-0, drew African champs in their own backyard and has beaten Zambia on the road and, beaten a talented Algeria side 3-1 at home.

The results are not even comparable.

In fact if we are comparing teams relatively with the only thing we can compare them which is WCQ, then this is the best team Nigeria has ever had, only thing close is 1994. Even the 1994 did not dominate WCQ as much as this current edition.
Last edited by vancity eagle on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

vancity eagle wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:

nonsense

this team is far better than the team we took to WC 2014.

In virtually every position on the field.

Depth wise it is not even a question.

Much has been made about us being "found out" against SA.

Truth is that it was a young side without key players in Mikel, Moses, Balogun, Ighalo, (any capable keeper) and even at that we dominated the game and I suggest there was bad luck and poor lapses at key moments which cost us. SA at no time were in control of that match. We could have played that game with the exact same players and I bet we win most of the time. It was just not to be that day. I've watched that game over a few times so I know what I am talking about.

Take out the top midfielder, top striker, top winger, top defender, and top goalkeeper out of any team that isn't Brazil, Germany, or Argentina, Spain and THEY WILL STRUGGLE.
This is not what u said on that game day.
OCCUPY NFF!!