Nigeria's Flying Eagles at the Saudi 89 FIFA Under 20 World.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

nzeogwu
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria's Flying Eagles at the Saudi 89 FIFA Under 20 Wo

Post by nzeogwu »

Please stop with the age BS. I was born in 1966. I am 51. I played in the 1982 Principals Cup against Dimeji. he was at least 20, I was 16. By 1985, I was 18 and he was 23. Zansa was even older and Mutiu and I (Abadina College) are age mates.

As long as people spew out this BS, you wonder why our domestic football can never progress. A nation of cheats always cheats.

Whe n a white man says it, y'all get offended. Deal with it.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

nzeogwu wrote:Please stop with the age BS. I was born in 1966. I am 51. I played in the 1982 Principals Cup against Dimeji. he was at least 20, I was 16. By 1985, I was 18 and he was 23. Zansa was even older and Mutiu and I (Abadina College) are age mates.

As long as people spew out this BS, you wonder why our domestic football can never progress. A nation of cheats always cheats.

So u be Abadina bobo too...did Nwosu not attend Abadina too? By the way i dont think Dimeji is that much older than you, cut the difference in age by half. At most he is older than you by 2 or 3 years. He is circa 1964/65.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

nzeogwu wrote:Please stop with the age BS. I was born in 1966. I am 51. I played in the 1982 Principals Cup against Dimeji. he was at least 20, I was 16. By 1985, I was 18 and he was 23. Zansa was even older and Mutiu and I (Abadina College) are age mates.

Oga:

If you have paid any attention to my posts, you will see that I am as anti-age cheats as they come. We battled several flks to a standstill here on the Chukwudi vs Adokie matter.

The point folks like me and Gotti make is that allegations should be evidence-based, not necessarily on looks, career-longevity, nor career success at senior level. That's the point I was making to my fellow Imolite 1Naija when he used Kasey Keller who played until age 42 as an example.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Nweogwu, I watched Tunder Ikhedero (RIP) played principals Cup in 1979. He was at least 17 years .
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Oga:

If you have paid any attention to my posts, you will see that I am as anti-age cheats as they come. We battled several flks to a standstill here on the Chukwudi vs Adokie matter.

The point folks like me and Gotti make is that allegations should be evidence-based, not necessarily on looks, career-longevity, nor career success at senior level. That's the point I was making to my fellow Imolite 1Naija when he used Kasey Keller who played until age 42 as an example.
Your position should be clear enough, nzeogwu's passion got the better of him..abeg leave am :laugh:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Oga Oloye!! I played Metho, Grammar, Afro, Olivet and St Charles O. From Wole Odegbami to Zege to Demola Adesina to Folly (Okenla). We both know who was U-20 and who was u-30. :)

Much love, much respect.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

nzeogwu wrote:Oga Oloye!! I played Metho, Grammar, Afro, Olivet and St Charles O. From Wole Odegbami to Zege to Demola Adesina to Folly (Okenla). We both know who was U-20 and who was u-30. :)

Much love, much respect.
The minute you mentioned Abadina you caught my attention, because my football skills werre horned on the students field of UI and all of Abadina, Sankore, Staff Club etc were my stomping ground....

All the Ibadan boys in that team i knew from when we were kids! :thumbs: Samonda, Agbowo, Bodija loading...
But you try sha..playing for all those schools, na una nor wan leave school because of principals cup.. I surprise say you nor land for Olivet Oyo too :thumbs:

Shuo my eyes miss Olivet nna meen you waka oh...haba!

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

oloye wrote:
nzeogwu wrote:Oga Oloye!! I played Metho, Grammar, Afro, Olivet and St Charles O. From Wole Odegbami to Zege to Demola Adesina to Folly (Okenla). We both know who was U-20 and who was u-30. :)

Much love, much respect.
The minute you mentioned Abadina you caught my attention, because my football skills werre horned on the students field of UI and all of Abadina, Sankore, Staff Club etc were my stomping ground....

All the Ibadan boys in that team i knew from when we were kids! :thumbs: Samonda, Agbowo, Bodija loading...
But you try sha..playing for all those schools, na una nor wan leave school because of principals cup.. I surprise say you nor land for Olivet Oyo too :thumbs:

Shuo my eyes miss Olivet nna meen you waka oh...haba!
Oga, i thought is was Obadina? that nah Abeokuta
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

1naija wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:Think it was in this tournament Mutiu got the name headmaster...His head to head (no pun intended) with K C Keller was memorable..Chris Ohenhen's legendary freekicks got his name in the annals.

And they all retired at least 15 years before KC Keller did.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Tony Emodeofu (sp?) celebrated his 40th birthday in 2006 and it was in the papers. I did a mental calculation of his age when he represented Nigeria in the U17 WC in Canada in 1987 (21 years old) and U20 WC in Saudi Arabia in 1989 (23 years old). Nigeria has been involved in age cheating for a long time.
I am happy
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Dammy na true you talk.

Oga Oloye, I did not play for all those o. I only played for GCI against those schools. 1981 to 83. Grammar took over the mantle with
Wasiu in goal, Tosin Adebambo, 3SC left back, Dimeji Lawal and a few others. Before that it was Metho with Adebowale Lumpkin (Lobito), Folorunso Okenla (Folley) and Raymond King that dominated. Off course, St Charles like Olivet had their one man superstars in Demola Adesina and kayode Balogun (Zege).

I am quite sure that when you look at the quality of players that were produced then and you look at those from Lagos and Benin half a decade earlier paticularly from St Gregory's, St Finbarrs and CMS Bariga, we did not need to cheat.

With players like these, the best of our High schools could probably have destroyed several national teams at the time.

Kizito Oshodi
Sam Okpodu
Franklin Howard
Henry Nwosu
Stephen Keshi
Tarila Okorowanta
Richmond Gbontiri
Bright Omokaro
Humphrey Edobor

And now we actually boast of players that cannot even control a ball and invite them to the national team. It is unfortunate that there was no money involved in our football at the time.

The standard or perceived standard of what we call U-20 today is nothing but a joke. I beg those of you with influence, bring back the school sports festivals, the principals cup, the YSFON and greater tomorrow. That's where the game is developed an not these pathetic so called academies.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

nzeogwu wrote:Dammy na true you talk.

Oga Oloye, I did not play for all those o. I only played for GCI against those schools. 1981 to 83. Grammar took over the mantle with
Wasiu in goal, Tosin Adebambo, 3SC left back, Dimeji Lawal and a few others. Before that it was Metho with Adebowale Lumpkin (Lobito), Folorunso Okenla (Folley) and Raymond King that dominated. Off course, St Charles like Olivet had their one man superstars in Demola Adesina and kayode Balogun (Zege).

I am quite sure that when you look at the quality of players that were produced then and you look at those from Lagos and Benin half a decade earlier paticularly from St Gregory's, St Finbarrs and CMS Bariga, we did not need to cheat.

With players like these, the best of our High schools could probably have destroyed several national teams at the time.

Kizito Oshodi
Sam Okpodu
Franklin Howard
Henry Nwosu
Stephen Keshi
Tarila Okorowanta
Richmond Gbontiri
Bright Omokaro
Humphrey Edobor

And now we actually boast of players that cannot even control a ball and invite them to the national team. It is unfortunate that there was no money involved in our football at the time.

The standard or perceived standard of what we call U-20 today is nothing but a joke. I beg those of you with influence, bring back the school sports festivals, the principals cup, the YSFON and greater tomorrow. That's where the game is developed an not these pathetic so called academies.
KPOM :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :agree:
I am happy
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

nzeogwu wrote:Dammy na true you talk.

Kizito Oshodi
Sam Okpodu
Franklin Howard
Henry Nwosu
Stephen Keshi
Tarila Okorowanta
Richmond Gbontiri
Bright Omokaro
Humphrey Edobor

Chai Nzeogwu ka isi ogu....you don make make my head swell with nostalgia. I went to Metho, i was the mascot of the team before i left after my second year. I had the opportunity to rub shoulders with a number of the stars back then. In 81 i was doing my A Levels at Olivet so i played against the reigning principal's cup school then Ibadan grammar school. The advantage schools like GCI, Olivet, Ibadan grammar school had was the A levels....so they could recruit players. 81-83 Ibadan grammar had Folly(who was a year my junior at Metho and a great buddy as we were both training with the school team even though we were so tiny in comparison), there was Wasiu, Tosin,Maxwell,Odubola, Papa, Sina. They were heavily stacked...geez those were the days meeen!

You brought back memories..hence i prayed may our vest days not ve in the past.

In 85 at the Kwara state hosted All Nigerian secondary school sports, watching Lagos representative CMS Bariga destroy Olivet represebtibg Oyo was awesome and scary. The Lagos team featuring the Olukanmi brothers played one of the best football i have ever witbessed in this glorious life God has given to me...it was ruthless demolition. I have heard of the Olukanmi brothers but seeing them live in action was a sight to behold. Biko add them to that list, and i have bot even mentioned Paul Okoku. God bless my country Nigeria!

Nna forgive me for thinking say you be one of them mercenary student/players wey nor dey graduate. :thumbs: As per say na GCI you go, na serious student and ajebota you go be....e get another bobo abi na my paddy for this site zokdasok wey go GCI too. We are still investigating how an ajebota school like GCI suddenly became a powerhouse in secondary school football. I understand the Awoseyi factor....but ehemmmm what about jeun jeun players :thumbs:

nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Oloye, se bi we are all mercenaries. Coach Awoseyi changed that for all of Ibadan. Highest bidder ni!! Thank God for A levels o.

Those were the days. Kai!!! Much love, much respect.
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Funny thing, I though Olukanni was a God in Ibadan when the biys signed for Leventis. I played two years at Michigan State ('84 and 85) and quit football in 1986. I transferred to UNLV in 1987 as I had one year of eligibility and played against FRESNO STATE. Coach Barry Barto had me mark one tough Naija midfielder who proceeded t give me a few elbows. We were both carded but I shut him down. That was the younger Olukanni.

Out west at Nevada Las Vegas, I was privileged to play against UCLA (Caliguiri (USA captain), Marcelo Balboa, Eric Wynalda (UCSD), Tab Ramos and an overweight goalkeeper by the name of Tony Meola from Virginia. Little did I know that they wuld eventually play in the World Cup for the USA.

My take away is that, the US copied our developmental scheme. For us, our success lay in the high school programs. For them, it is in AYSO, club football (AAU) and the NCAA.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Oloye, you be senior o....A level's in 1981? Dat mean say you senior dem Henry Nwosu...and me I dey think say you be Okocha, Ikpeba dem generation.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Oloye, you be senior o....A level's in 1981? Dat mean say you senior dem Henry Nwosu...and me I dey think say you be Okocha, Ikpeba dem generation.
I was 16 when i did my A levels, Nwosu was 19 or was it 20 when he played the ANC 80 a year earlier. Okocha na junior player , that one was never in doubt, Ikpeba would be the same era as moi, Ikpeba na JJ senior for football. I be Mutiu, Uche, Iroha dem generation :D
You have the echelon in Naija football
1. The Odegbami, CCC, Adokiye, Owo Blow, Best, Okalla, Atuegbu, Adiele era( I am not even sure lumping CCC and Okalla here is right)
2. Keshi, Okpalla, Nwosu, Yekini, Adeshina,Omokaro, Rufai, Oliha etc

3. Then you have my era including the likes of Mutiu, Finidi, Iroha, Uche Okechukwu, Ike Shoroumu, Ikpeba (funny enough, i remembered watching Ike as a youth footballer, when he was playing for a youth team in Abeokuta in 89).

4. Then came the Okocha, Kanu etc

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

nzeogwu wrote:Funny thing, I though Olukanni was a God in Ibadan when the biys signed for Leventis. I played two years at Michigan State ('84 and 85) and quit football in 1986. I transferred to UNLV in 1987 as I had one year of eligibility and played against FRESNO STATE. Coach Barry Barto had me mark one tough Naija midfielder who proceeded t give me a few elbows. We were both carded but I shut him down. That was the younger Olukanni.

Out west at Nevada Las Vegas, I was privileged to play against UCLA (Caliguiri (USA captain), Marcelo Balboa, Eric Wynalda (UCSD), Tab Ramos and an overweight goalkeeper by the name of Tony Meola from Virginia. Little did I know that they wuld eventually play in the World Cup for the USA.

My take away is that, the US copied our developmental scheme. For us, our success lay in the high school programs. For them, it is in AYSO, club football (AAU) and the NCAA.
Wao , you stopped early oh..86 that was when i started in the Naija league, actually my second year in the league. I guess acada took all ya time. It was a struggle for me too trying to combine acada , but it was a neccessity for me. I was funding my education through football, so i had no choice. I never intended to even play to the level i did, i just saw an opportunity to pay my way through college playing football without bothering my folks at home and i took it. The rest became history!

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

oloye wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Oloye, you be senior o....A level's in 1981? Dat mean say you senior dem Henry Nwosu...and me I dey think say you be Okocha, Ikpeba dem generation.
I was 16 when i did my A levels, Nwosu was 19 or was it 20 when he played the ANC 80 a year earlier. Okocha na junior player , that one was never in doubt, Ikpeba would be the same era as moi, Ikpeba na JJ senior for football. I be Mutiu, Uche, Iroha dem generation :D
1. The Odegbami, CCC, Adokiye, Owo Blow, Best, Okalla, Atuegbu, Adiele era( I am not even sure lumping CCC and Okalla here is right)

3. Then you have my era including the likes of Mutiu, Finidi, Iroha, Uche Okechukwu, Ike Shoroumu, Ikpeba (funny enough, i remembered watching Ike as a youth footballer, when he was playing for a youth team in Abeokuta in 89).

Thanks, Oga, I was no longer in Naija during your time, so my coverage was limited to international senior and age grade footie. Why did I think Okocha was senior to, or at least same age as Ikpeba? Perhaps because when Okocha, Amokachi, Amunike dem were already staple players, Ikpeba was on the fringes (around 1994-98)?

EDIT* Wikipedia lists both Okocha and Ikpeba as age 44...
AFCON 2019 sweet o

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
oloye wrote:

3. Then you have my era including the likes of Mutiu, Finidi, Iroha, Uche Okechukwu, Ike Shoroumu, (funny enough, i remembered watching Ike as a youth footballer, when he was playing for a youth team in Abeokuta in 89).

Thanks, Oga, I was no longer in Naija during your time, so my coverage was limited to international senior and age grade footie. Why did I think Okocha was senior to, or at least same age as Ikpeba? Perhaps because when Okocha, Amokachi, Amunike dem were already staple players, Ikpeba was on the fringes (around 1994-98)?

EDIT* Wikipedia lists both Okocha and Ikpeba as age 44...
By the way ,i think i made a wrong call on Ikpeba here, although i was talking Ikpeba my head was thinking Ohenhen. Ikpeba would be circa Okocha. Ikpeba played u17 aka Scotland 89, while JJ played in Mauritius i think 91 or 93 u20..give or take they belong to the same era

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

On review,this should read as

3. Then you have my era including the likes of Mutiu, Finidi, Iroha, Uche Okechukwu, Ike Shoroumu(funny enough, i remembered watching Ike as a youth footballer, when he was playing for a youth team in Abeokuta in 89).

4. Then came the Okocha, Kanu , Ikpeba, Amokachi etc

nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Oloye and Ogbunigwe,

Much respect and love You guys were cut from quality and character and it shows. We need more of that in every aspect of our nation today.... Not just talented footballers but great character and role models. Keep mentoring the next generation and well done!!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

nzeogwu wrote:Oloye and Ogbunigwe,

Much respect and love You guys were cut from quality and character and it shows. We need more of that in every aspect of our nation today.... Not just talented footballers but great character and role models. Keep mentoring the next generation and well done!!

Oga Nzeogwu:

na una wey leave am all on the pitch, blood, sweat, tears, injuries, etc we suppose hail. I strongly agree with you that we as a Nation have moved away from encouraging skilled display. Frankly, when I see some of our national players that can't trap ball properly, as you pointed out, I begin to ask myself if all those skills I saw growing up were just dreams or my imagination!

These days, only VicMo and Mikel appear to have "it". I am not saying everyone should be an Okocha or Kanu, but haba, e be like say na stiffs full our team these days. Is it too much EPL influence? Grassroots soccer needs to be encouraged again (and not for the sole purpose of discovering a player at 16 and selling him to Europe for profit).
AFCON 2019 sweet o