Nigeria's Flying Eagles at the Saudi 89 FIFA Under 20 World.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigeria's Flying Eagles at the Saudi 89 FIFA Under 20 World.

Post by Sir V »

This team was famous for their stunning Quarter Final comeback against the then Soviet Union who were 4 goals up (the so called "Miracle of Dammam")

Please name the players.

"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria's Flying Eagles at the Saudi 89 FIFA Under 20 Wo

Post by oloye »

Sir V wrote:This team was famous for their stunning Quarter Final comeback against the then Soviet Union who were 4 goals up (the so called "Miracle of Dammam")

Please name the players.

The two most exciting players in that team were Chris Nwosu who capped it up with that fantastic goal against the Checzhs. Then you have Dimeji Lawal with his eye catching dribbles and deft touches. Chai look at the size of this U21 team and compare with our current SE team. Another thing,look at the quality of the jersey compared to the rubbish we are using for the last couple of years.

May our best years not be in the past!

Standing l-r Dimeji Lawal, Nduka Ugbade, Chris Nwosu, Philip Osondu, Angus Ikeji, Bawa Abdulahi
Squatting r-l Mike Onyrmachara, Chinedu Odiari, Charity Tunde Ikhidero(rip), Chris Ohenhen, MutiubAdepoju
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

oloye wrote:
Sir V wrote:This team was famous for their stunning Quarter Final comeback against the then Soviet Union who were 4 goals up (the so called "Miracle of Dammam")

Please name the players.

The two most exciting players in that team were Chris Nwosu who capped it up with that fantastic goal against the Checzhs. Then you have Dimeji Lawal with his eye catching dribbles and deft touches. Chai look at the size of this U21 team and compare with our current SE team. Another thing,look at the quality of the jersey compared to the rubbish we are using for the last couple of years.

Standing l-r Dimeji Lawal, Nduka Ugbade, Chris Nwosu, Philip Osondu, Angus Ikeji, Bawa Abdulahi
Squatting r-l Mike Onyrmachara, Chinedu Odiari, Charity Tunde Ikhidero(rip), Chris Ohenhen, MutiubAdepoju
Mutiu was also an exciting player. You could see immediately that he was quality. Not flashy like Dimeji (who just dribbled for dribbling sake with no end product) but did everything efficiently and with quality - passing, shooting and famously heading.

This wasn't the team that played in the 4-4 game, one of the scorers had a biblical name (Joshua Moses or something like that... cant remember now)

Oloye regarding the underlined... may they also be truly young! cos some of these guys took the piss with their declared ages :lol:
YNWA
Polly
Egg
Egg

Post by Polly »

Amazing to think that this team is nearly 30 years old. Props to each of them, but I also remember Mutiu Adepoju's heading abilities, and Chris Ohenhen's incredible left foot on set pieces.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

heavyd wrote:
oloye wrote:

Please name the players.

Mutiu was also an exciting player. You could see immediately that he was quality. Not flashy like Dimeji (who just dribbled for dribbling sake with no end product) but did everything efficiently and with quality - passing, shooting and famously heading.

This wasn't the team that played in the 4-4 game, one of the scorers had a biblical name (Joshua Moses or something like that... cant remember now)

Oloye regarding the underlined... may they also be truly young! cos some of these guys took the piss with their declared ages :lol:
I think this was the first match before Osondu lost his place in the team. The missing defender is Samuel Elijah. It took a while to get the balance right with the central defence, the team started off with Charity and Odiari....later Elijah came in for Odiari and some stability was restored in the central defence.

Yeah Mutiu for his heading ability....
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Osondu lost his place, Jimoh Balogun and later Mutiu went top and Emodofu aka Poropo came in on the left wing.

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

my favorite was Chris Ohenhen, bobo was a beast when it came to free-kicks( last game i saw him play was vs Kenya in 1997 worldcup qualifiers

[/video]

[/video]
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

heavyd wrote:
oloye wrote:

Please name the players.

These guys are now in their mid 50s :) :)
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Sir V wrote:
heavyd wrote:
oloye wrote:

Please name the players.

These guys are now in their mid 50s :) :)

More late than mid.

Next to the Canada U-17 championship team, probably the oldest youth team we ever assembled!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by skillful »

The game flying eagles vs usa...... flying eagles vs Kasey Keller
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle
Polly
Egg
Egg

Post by Polly »

skillful wrote:The game flying eagles vs usa...... flying eagles vs Kasey Keller
I believe Nigeria won that one 2-0, with two headers from Adepoju. KK later complained he couldn't remember the last time he was beaten twice in the same match from headers by the same "bum".
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

These guys were truly under 17
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Polly
Egg
Egg

Post by Polly »

1naija wrote:These guys were truly under 17
U-21
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Polly wrote:
U-21
They looked too young to be 21
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Think it was in this tournament Mutiu got the name headmaster...His head to head (no pun intended) with K C Keller was memorable..Chris Ohenhen's legendary freekicks got his name in the annals.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Mr Shows wrote:Think it was in this tournament Mutiu got the name headmaster...His head to head (no pun intended) with K C Keller was memorable..Chris Ohenhen's legendary freekicks got his name in the annals.

And they all retired at least 15 years before KC Keller did.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

:rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Polly wrote:
skillful wrote:The game flying eagles vs usa...... flying eagles vs Kasey Keller
I believe Nigeria won that one 2-0, with two headers from Adepoju. KK later complained he couldn't remember the last time he was beaten twice in the same match from headers by the same "bum".

2-1. keller was a beast in that game and all tourney long.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Polly wrote:
2-1 and only one of Mutiu's goal was a header. The other was a low drive from the edge of the penalty box.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Nigeria vs USA
[/video]
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Naija vs USSR
[/video]
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

1naija wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:Think it was in this tournament Mutiu got the name headmaster...His head to head (no pun intended) with K C Keller was memorable..Chris Ohenhen's legendary freekicks got his name in the annals.

Can't use Keller, a GK, as an example. Some may have also retired even before Rufai did.

While the guys might very well be above 21, I doubt the majority of their peers from other countries went on to have stellar careers.

Ugbade played till 2002 (officially till 33), Mutiu played till 2006 (officially till 36), Keller played until 2011 (till age 42, which makes him more an exception than the rule). Ohenhen also played until 2002 (officially 32).

Team USA's best forward/striker, Steven Snow, retired in 1995, playing indoor soccer during his last 2 years. Their other striker, Gerard Lagos, retired in 2001...
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
1naija wrote:

Can't use Keller, a GK, as an example. Some may have also retired even before Rufai did.

While the guys might very well be above 21, I doubt the majority of their peers from other countries went on to have stellar careers.

Ugbade played till 2002 (officially till 33), Mutiu played till 2006 (officially till 36), Keller played until 2011 (till age 42, which makes him more an exception than the rule). Ohenhen also played until 2002 (officially 32).

Team USA's best forward/striker, Steven Snow, retired in 1995, playing indoor soccer during his last 2 years. Their other striker, Gerard Lagos, retired in 2001...
:clap: :clap: :clap: See cure...you just cured some of 1Naija's old age-ism free of charge. From today, you are now 1Naija's doc but it's no longer free. Good job doc.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...