MIKEL, MOSES, IGHALO HEAD 23-MAN SQUAD FOR ZAMBIA

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: MIKEL, MOSES, IGHALO HEAD 23-MAN SQUAD FOR ZAMBIA

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Tbite wrote:If akpeyi starts I will slap Rohr so hard he will permanently resemble a tiger.
Why would Akpeyi start?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

1naija,
Enyeama is Nigeria's best ever keeper. Period. With due respect to Yobo's commendable national career, he can't lay claim to being our best ever defender - Chukwu, Keshi , Achebe, Okechukwu Uche- will all have superior assertions. No need getting your pants all crooked. You cannot rewrite history. Yobo lifted the 2013 Cup, but he played only a bit part. Notwithstanding, he belongs in the Nigerian Hall of Fame.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Tbite wrote:If akpeyi starts I will slap Rohr so hard he will permanently resemble a tiger.
Why would Akpeyi start?
Because Rohr called Ezenwa his 4th choice...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Akpeyi will have to earn it in training because he is not a regular for his club.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Obong wrote:1naija,
Enyeama is Nigeria's best ever keeper. Period. With due respect to Yobo's commendable national career, he can't lay claim to being our best ever defender - Chukwu, Keshi , Achebe, Okechukwu Uche- will all have superior assertions. No need getting your pants all crooked. You cannot rewrite history. Yobo lifted the 2013 Cup, but he played only a bit part. Notwithstanding, he belongs in the Nigerian Hall of Fame.

I rate Okala and Rufai ahead of Enyeama.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Why would Akpeyi start?
I'm not saying he will.

but I will be extremely angry if he does.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

and I will kick him to so hard he'd become permanently nutless like TFCO :evil:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

ohenhen1 wrote:

I rate Okala and Rufai ahead of Enyeama.
Based on what? Nostalgia? Because if you are talking of consistency and longevity at the highest level, no one compares to Enyeama. If it's trophies, individual awards/nominations still Enyeama. The only Nigerian to competently secure the number 1 spot in a European club in Europe's top 4 leagues for at least 3 seasons in a row. Add to that the second longest clean sheet run in Ligue 1 history. So where is the comparison.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Yawwwnnn!
Do we have to go thru this song and dance again? Geez!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ohenhen1 wrote:Akpeyi will have to earn it in training because he is not a regular for his club.
Except when injured, Akpeyi is first-choice at Chippa...
However, if I was the SE coach, I would go with Ezenwa at this point.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

**The focus here should be on National team exploits, not what he did at his club. Nonetheless, the fact of the matter is Rufai accomplished a lot more for country than Enyeama did, considering the number of caps it took to accomplish those feats.
Adisboy wrote: Based on what? Nostalgia? Because if you are talking of consistency and longevity at the highest level, no one compares to Enyeama
Rufai - 65 caps (1983 - 1998) 15yrs
Enyeama = 101 caps (2002 - 2015) 13 yrs
Adisboy wrote:If it's trophies, individual awards/nominations still Enyeama
Rufai = 1 Nations Cup (1994), 2 WC appearances (1994, 1998)
Enyeama = 1 Nations Cup (2013), 3 WC appearances (2002, 2010, 2014)
Adisboy wrote:The only Nigerian to competently secure the number 1 spot in a European club in Europe's top 4 leagues for at least 3 seasons in a row. Add to that the second longest clean sheet run in Ligue 1 history. So where is the comparison.
Foul!
Rufai kept in Belgium, Portugal and Spain
Enyeama kept in Isreal and France
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Even when his ego is probably shot due to him embarrassingly concede 4 goals in a cup final?
This one is a head scratchier for me.
Gotti wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:Akpeyi will have to earn it in training because he is not a regular for his club.
Except when injured, Akpeyi is first-choice at Chippa...
However, if I was the SE coach, I would go with Ezenwa at this point.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Otitokoro wrote:Even when his ego is probably shot due to him embarrassingly concede 4 goals in a cup final?
This one is a head scratchier for me.
What was the “embarrassment”? That he didn’t save 2 PKs... :blink:

While Ezenwa’s poor kick out (an Akpeyi specialty) led to Ghana’s 4th goal...
Akpeyi makes more mistakes in ONE game than Ezenwa did in the entire 5 WAFU games.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Obong wrote:
Gotti wrote:
1naija wrote:
Gotti wrote:
1naija wrote:Why do we always argue which bench player is omitted or selected? None of those players will see action against Zambia until the game is won regardless of how they play for their clubs.
Because a strong bench is just as important...
Didn’t you take comfort in Yobo coming on for the last 2 mins of our ANC 2013 games to shut up shop? :D
Only 3 Nigerian captains has lifted the African Cup of Nations.

1. The great back man CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
2. The Great Stephen Keshi (RIP)
3. Guess who the third one is?

MODS! :scared:
Okay, Gotti. We got this. Yobo is unarguably one of Nigeria's greatest. However, in the 2013 ANC, Enyeama actually captained the matches especially with Omeruo upstaging Yobo. Out of respect, and following hallowed soccer traditions, Enyeama handed Yobo the captain's band for Chief Yobo to go and get the cup handed to him. Incidentally, in the 1994 ANC, the same scenario occurred where Rufai captained and an injured Keshi was given the band to receive the cup.
I think Eguavoen captained the team at the 94 AFCON and handed the band to Keshi to receive the cup. Rufai captained the team at USA 94 except for the match against Greece when Keshi started.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Rohr has called up this team on the basis of their performance in the last 2 games, right now Ezenwa is likely to get the nod..
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

1naija wrote:
Gotti wrote:
1naija wrote:Why do we always argue which bench player is omitted or selected? None of those players will see action against Zambia until the game is won regardless of how they play for their clubs.
Because a strong bench is just as important...
Didn’t you take comfort in Yobo coming on for the last 2 mins of our ANC 2013 games to shut up shop? :D
Only 3 Nigerian captains has lifted the African Cup of Nations.

1. The great back man CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
2. The Great Stephen Keshi (RIP)
3. Guess who the third one is?

Fact not feelings... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Otitokoro wrote:**The focus here should be on National team exploits, not what he did at his club. Nonetheless, the fact of the matter is Rufai accomplished a lot more for country than Enyeama did, considering the number of caps it took to accomplish those feats.
Adisboy wrote: Based on what? Nostalgia? Because if you are talking of consistency and longevity at the highest level, no one compares to Enyeama
Adisboy wrote:The only Nigerian to competently secure the number 1 spot in a European club in Europe's top 4 leagues for at least 3 seasons in a row. Add to that the second longest clean sheet run in Ligue 1 history. So where is the comparison.
Foul!
Lemme play Devil's Advocate. Back during Rufai's time, Africa had only two world cup slots up until 94. AFCON had only eight slots which expanded to twelve slots in 92. During Enyeama's time Africa has five slots and sixteen AFCON slots. My point? It's easier to qualify today. Also, with more friendlies, additional countries joining CAF/FIFA, and new tourneys like the confed cup, there's more matches to play today so cap count will be much higher. With regards to playing pro ball, it was much more difficult back then than it is today. Any scrub gets to rush abroad at the first chances they get. Only the best got to go back then. Enyeama did win the African champs league with Enyimba though, I believe twice if I'm correct. Can someone confirm?

Anyways when it comes to team sports it's hard to judge based on such stats.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Otitokoro wrote:**The focus here should be on National team exploits, not what he did at his club. Nonetheless, the fact of the matter is Rufai accomplished a lot more for country than Enyeama did, considering the number of caps it took to accomplish those feats.
Foul!
Sure, Rufai was mainly a backup in these leagues, only real consist run was in Portugal. Was he ever named African PLAYER (not goalie) of the Season in any of those leagues? Or nominated multiple times for Best Goalie in the league?

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/footba ... d-1.248151

Or any FIFA awards?

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/f ... award.html

Not to even mention Man of the Match awards in FIFA World Cup games....

I mean you guys need to stop trying to diminish Enyeama's accomplishments just because of whatever personal gripe, doesn't change the facts! Enyeama is Nigeria's best EVER goalie, and its not even close!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

maceo4 wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Why would Akpeyi start?
Because Rohr called Ezenwa his 4th choice...
:scared: That's scary!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Sheikh
Egg
Egg

Post by Sheikh »

maceo4 wrote:
Foul!
Sure, Rufai was mainly a backup in these leagues, only real consist run was in Portugal. Was he ever named African PLAYER (not goalie) of the Season in any of those leagues? Or nominated multiple times for Best Goalie in the league?

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/footba ... d-1.248151

Or any FIFA awards?

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/f ... award.html

Not to even mention Man of the Match awards in FIFA World Cup games....

I mean you guys need to stop trying to diminish Enyeama's accomplishments just because of whatever personal gripe, doesn't change the facts! Enyeama is Nigeria's best EVER goalie, and its not even close!
I agree. The closest was Emmanuel Okala. He was recognised as the best in Africa at that time (early to mid 70s). His time was unfortunately well before Africa based players were able to move to European clubs. Same situation for Segun Odegbami and Christian Chukwu.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Otitokoro wrote:Yawwwnnn!
Do we have to go thru this song and dance again? Geez!
Yes we do!!!!!!
Until you guys agree that Enyeama is our best keeper ever. :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Enyeama was a good goalkeeper for Nigeria but never won any trophy as the SE captain, and will never do so since he has retired and will never be made captain again. And as good as he was for Nigeria, he would not make the top 3 Nigerian keepers of all times. The fact is Okala, Rufai, Ike were all better SE goalkeeper than Vincent.

I do think Vincent deserve all the praise you are giving him, but most Nigerians will remember him for his temperament than his goalkeeping, which is unfortunate.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Rufai was the regular keeper for Hercules Alicante in the Spanish La Liga in their season in the Spanish top flight. He joined Deportivo La Coruna as back up to Songo after their relegation.
I am happy