Azubuike Okechukwu rated 2nd best ball passer in Turkey

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet
Azubuike Okechukwu rated 2nd best ball passer in Turkey

Post by smartbrother »

http://aoifootball.com/2017/09/21/azubu ... in-turkey/
Olympic Bronze medal winning midfielder, and former captain of Nigeria’s U-23 team to the Rio 2016 Olympics, Azubuike Okechukwu has been rated second highest passer of the ball in the Turkish Super Lig, according to latest statistics
AOIFootball.com gathered that the Nigerian international, who has had two caps for the Super Eagles and who currently plays for newly promoted club Yeni Malatyaspor, has completed a total of 269 passes with a 90 percent accuracy after just 5 games in the Turkish Super Lig.

The stats was courtesy of a top European statistics and scouting set up, Tofe T. Stats.

The former Bayelsa United defensive midfielder is second to Galatasaray midfielder, Fernando, who has completed 353 passes this term with 90 percent accuracy also after 5 games in the league.

Zubby, as he is fondly called among teammates, was one of the top best passers of the ball last season in the Turkish Super Lig 2 and was instrumental to his team’s eventual promotion to the elite division.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Azubuike Okechukwu rated 2nd best ball passer in Turkey

Post by smartbrother »

Given our current struggles with ball retention in midfield, Azubuike deserves his shot surely!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

smartbrother wrote:Given our current struggles with ball retention in midfield, Azubuike deserves his shot surely!
I am always wary of these types of Naija articles, because they could well be ‘sponsored’....
But watching Azubuike and Agu recently (discussed both games on CE), would take Azubuike over Agu.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Gotti wrote:
smartbrother wrote:Given our current struggles with ball retention in midfield, Azubuike deserves his shot surely!
I am always wary of these types of Naija articles, because they could well be ‘sponsored’....
But watching Azubuike and Agu recently (discussed both games on CE), would take Azubuike over Agu.
Agree on both points
Agu seems decent enough but Nigeria needs a holding midfielder now that Mikel has been moved to a more advanced position
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Gotti wrote:
Yup! You know better. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

All I know is that the Azubuike Okechukwu I saw at the 2016 Olympics is baller who has all the traits of a very very good midfielder.
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Dude, I am not Ifa - and neither is Rohr! Quit worshipping idols... :lol:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

This is just a trial ballon - someone is trying to fly a kite here...
If this fellow was that good, he wouldn't be playing for some low level club in Turkey. Also, inquiries would have been made of him by some of the bigger Turkish clubs (or even other leagues) going into this season. That, to the best of my knowledge, did not happen.
And last I checked, the guy is an AM, not a DM. So, comparing him and Agu is a bit misplaced.
smartbrother wrote:http://aoifootball.com/2017/09/21/azubu ... in-turkey/
Olympic Bronze medal winning midfielder, and former captain of Nigeria’s U-23 team to the Rio 2016 Olympics, Azubuike Okechukwu has been rated second highest passer of the ball in the Turkish Super Lig, according to latest statistics
AOIFootball.com gathered that the Nigerian international, who has had two caps for the Super Eagles and who currently plays for newly promoted club Yeni Malatyaspor, has completed a total of 269 passes with a 90 percent accuracy after just 5 games in the Turkish Super Lig.

The stats was courtesy of a top European statistics and scouting set up, Tofe T. Stats.

The former Bayelsa United defensive midfielder is second to Galatasaray midfielder, Fernando, who has completed 353 passes this term with 90 percent accuracy also after 5 games in the league.

Zubby, as he is fondly called among teammates, was one of the top best passers of the ball last season in the Turkish Super Lig 2 and was instrumental to his team’s eventual promotion to the elite division.
Last edited by Otitokoro on Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Otitokoro wrote:This is just a trial ballon - someone is trying to fly a kite here...
If this fellow was that good, he wouldn't be playing for some low level club in Turkey. Also, inquiries would have been made of him this season. That, to the best of my knowledge, did not happen.
And last I checked, the guy is an AM, not a DM. So, comparing him and Agu is a bit misplaced.
Most definitely NOT an AM at his club...
Plays the same holding role as Mikel Agu.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Gotti wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:This is just a trial ballon - someone is trying to fly a kite here...
If this fellow was that good, he wouldn't be playing for some low level club in Turkey. Also, inquiries would have been made of him this season. That, to the best of my knowledge, did not happen.
when i read that i just :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Gotti wrote:
Even at the Olympics he was a DM. Mohammed was the central midfielder while Mikel was the attacking midfielder.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

He is listed as both a CM and a DM.
I stand corrected, though.
Obong wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Even at the Olympics he was a DM. Mohammed was the central midfielder while Mikel was the attacking midfielder.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Gotti wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Dude, I am not Ifa - and neither is Rohr! Quit worshipping idols... :lol:
"Ifa" (Efa as is called by my people) is not worshiped. Ifa is a "medium" for consultation
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Skewed statistics. Any player that makes mainly short passes will have a high completion rate. That's why Mikel and Makelele always had high passing accuracy rates at Chelsea.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

olu wrote:Skewed statistics. Any player that makes mainly short passes will have a high completion rate. That's why Mikel and Makelele always had high passing accuracy rates at Chelsea.
Huh?
First of all the report doesnt just say he has a high completion rate.
It says he has the second highest completion rate in the league.
That means out of all the players that play positions similar to (or different from ) his, he is one of the very best passers of the ball in that league

Secondly pass completion is central to the job of a holding midfielder. Its not an irrelevant statistic in the context of his position
Thirdly Mikel and Makelele were two of the best holding midfielders of their respective eras.
Dont see how citing either player helps further your argument
If these statistics are skewed it would be better to give examples of holding midfielders with high completion rates who are actually crap
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

I'm convinced people just like arguing here for no reason. Are you suggesting that he should be dropped for an experienced player like onazi or mikel or EPL midfielders like iwobi, ndidi. Or even an experienced player like ogu?
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

This is what friendlies are for, rigth now Rohr is doing the rigth thing not over experimenting.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

For me, Azubuike was one of the brighter spots of our Olympic campaign. I would like to see him make more progress in club football though; perhaps move to a more visible league :!:

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

olu wrote:Skewed statistics. Any player that makes mainly short passes will have a high completion rate. That's why Mikel and Makelele always had high passing accuracy rates at Chelsea.
Using Mikel comparatively to discredit Azubuike does nothing for your credibility because Mikel is one of the best there's ever been. So comparing Azubuike to Mikel does not help your argument. The ability to pass the ball wisely is what made Mikel exceptional and if Azubuike has similar qualities, hurry up and sign him :!:

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Mikel and Makelele were no doubt very good holding midfielders. However, they rarely misplaced passes because they played it safe and often made short passes to the open man upon winning the ball and didn't venture upfront much. I agree that if Azubuike turns out to be as good as Mikel or Makelele, he would have had a very good career. However, holding midfielders that have the ability to venture forward and initiate attacks have a better chance of succeeding at big clubs, which is why Mikel eventually lost his spot to Matic and Kante.

A midfielder is likely to have a high completion rate if he makes mainly 5 yard passes. I am not knocking Azubuike. I'm just saying the stats in the article could lead one to believe he has the ability to pick out passes like Pirlo, Xavi; or even Mikel or Oliseh.

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Using Mikel comparatively to discredit Azubuike does nothing for your credibility because Mikel is one of the best there's ever been. So comparing Azubuike to Mikel does not help your argument. The ability to pad the bill wisely is what made Mikel exceptional and if Azubuike has similar qualities, hurry up and sign him :!:

Cheers.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Btw, I talking about Mikel's style of play with Chelsea, not with the SE where he is often used as an AM.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Knowing when to pass and when not to pass is also a skill. And Obi Mikel always keeps a very high completion rate, this is also true for the Super Eagles, where he plays a more advanced role. So in his case its obviously not just about short passing.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Chief I take your point it doesn't tell us how many "forward"passes he has been making
However I would argue that initiating attacks , venturing forward and shooting from distance a la oliseh vs Spain are only secondary responsibilities for a holding midfielder
Their job is primarily to cut off opposing attacks and help maintain possession
Key to the latter is being comfortable "sitting" on the ball and having ability to pick out the right pass on a consistent basis
In my opinion this is what made mikel and makalele such great holding midfielders
That and their discipline
Both ( mikel certainly) were capable of spraying champagne passes all over the pitch if they wanted
But they often opted for safe high probability passes instead
Hence they hardly ever conceded possession and acted a reliable fulcrums for highly successful football sides
If azubuike can emulate either player he'll be superstar for Nigeria
If I remember correct azubuikes absence v Germany in the Olympic semis was the main reason we lost that game.
Imo this is quite a telling statistic . It shows he has carried on from where he left off
I would prefer to see him in the squad ahead of agu and ogu

olu wrote:Mikel and Makelele were no doubt very good holding midfielders. However, they rarely misplaced passes because they played it safe and often made short passes to the open man upon winning the ball and didn't venture upfront much. I agree that if Azubuike turns out to be as good as Mikel or Makelele, he would have had a very good career. However, holding midfielders that have the ability to venture forward and initiate attacks have a better chance of succeeding at big clubs, which is why Mikel eventually lost his spot to Matic and Kante.

A midfielder is likely to have a high completion rate if he makes mainly 5 yard passes. I am not knocking Azubuike. I'm just saying the stats in the article could lead one to believe he has the ability to pick out passes like Pirlo, Xavi; or even Mikel or Oliseh.

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Using Mikel comparatively to discredit Azubuike does nothing for your credibility because Mikel is one of the best there's ever been. So comparing Azubuike to Mikel does not help your argument. The ability to pad the bill wisely is what made Mikel exceptional and if Azubuike has similar qualities, hurry up and sign him :!:

Cheers.