CAMP NEWS: Waiting on Zambia.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: CAMP NEWS: Waiting on Zambia.....

Post by metalalloy »

Gotti wrote:
truetalk wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:I really cannot think of any other time in our history of qualifying for World Cups that team (and player) arrangements have been on schedule and without publicised rancour ie throughout the campaign. Hopefully, one day an experienced insider will give us more information because the era of Gernot Rohr has witnessed the least amount of infighting, flight ticket scandals, late arrival of players to camp and a shoddy display on the field. Players arriving in the country a week to a match? :shock:

Who should the credit go to? Melvin Pinnick? Gernot Rohr? Sports Ministry? Is it because Rohr kept from the team the useless loiterers and hangers-on that fed the tabloids with disruptive info?
Aieto is directly handling a lot of the paperwork and admin processes.

That is a part of their sponsorship agreement. Their staff are all over the SE hotels and make all the arrangements (hence my free offer to go to Cameroon last month).

The know if they just give money to NFF & Civil Servants, the money will vanish and nothing will get done.
In other words, Nigerians... :D

Btw, Happy Independence to all!

LOL you also read through the veiled attempt to start the FC/LC debate too? :lol:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Enugu II wrote:
Akpeyi Steals The Show In Eagles First Training Session With Point Blank Saves, Stops Penalty
October 3, 2017042
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/03/ak ... s-penalty/

Daniel Akpeyi was the main attraction during the Super Eagles training session watched by Owngoalnigeria.com Maxwell Pius at the training pitch of the Godswill Akpabio Stadium.

The Eagles had a light session before splitting into two groups of 8 players each for a practice game, which Akpeyi excelled with save after save to frustrate the forwards he was up against.

Akpeyi was difficult to beat throughout the session, and his form is a confirmation of how well he has been performing for his Premier South Africa League side Chippa United‎.
The highlight of his performance was stopping a penalty from Leicester City Star Ahmed Musa, and the manner which he stopped shots during their shooting drills.

Although Ikechukwu Ezenwa didn’t do badly, Akpeyi was by far the most impressive, however he was up against some of the top strikers of the team so that means he was constantly under pressure as they mounted attacks after attack.

DONT MISS ==> Ikeme Out, Ezenwa Favoured To Start Despite Akpeyi's Arrival For Senegal Clash
A decision on who will start between the duo is expected to be made in the coming days, but for now Akpeyi is in the lead after his performance this evening.
:lol: Dis kin "article" makes one go hmmmm.

I pray this is one of those puff pieces we read every camp and he is no where near the net on Sat.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

metalalloy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Akpeyi Steals The Show In Eagles First Training Session With Point Blank Saves, Stops Penalty
October 3, 2017042

Daniel Akpeyi was the main attraction during the Super Eagles training session watched by Owngoalnigeria.com Maxwell Pius at the training pitch of the Godswill Akpabio Stadium.

The Eagles had a light session before splitting into two groups of 8 players each for a practice game, which Akpeyi excelled with save after save to frustrate the forwards he was up against.

Akpeyi was difficult to beat throughout the session, and his form is a confirmation of how well he has been performing for his Premier South Africa League side Chippa United‎.
The highlight of his performance was stopping a penalty from Leicester City Star Ahmed Musa, and the manner which he stopped shots during their shooting drills.

Although Ikechukwu Ezenwa didn’t do badly, Akpeyi was by far the most impressive, however he was up against some of the top strikers of the team so that means he was constantly under pressure as they mounted attacks after attack.

DONT MISS ==> Ikeme Out, Ezenwa Favoured To Start Despite Akpeyi's Arrival For Senegal Clash
A decision on who will start between the duo is expected to be made in the coming days, but for now Akpeyi is in the lead after his performance this evening.

I pray this is one of those puff pieces we read every camp and he is no where near the net on Sat.
I wouldn't be surprised if he started, Rohr seems to have a GK pecking order which he has mentioned before, and Akpeyi seems to be higher on it since he plays abroad...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

metalalloy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
October 3, 2017042

If Akpeyi is performing very good in practice as described in the article, he might have stolen the hearts of the coaches and will likely start the game. Thus, let's wait and see.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

maceo4 wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
October 3, 2017042

I wouldn't be surprised if he started, Rohr seems to have a GK pecking order which he has mentioned before, and Akpeyi seems to be higher on it since he plays abroad...
I don't think where he plays was a factor as he was home based before moving and has always been held to higher esteem by Rohr.
That said, let the best players be used to prosecute the game. Be it Mazi Agbim...(God forbid bad things) :D or Ezenwa.

Quick question, where is Egwueke these days?
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Has Akpeyi ever cost us any game? I never understood the hate. People point to the South Africa game when the whole team played poorly and our midfield was non-existent. I think both he and Ezenwa have proven to be capable backup to Ikeme.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

1naija wrote:Has Akpeyi ever cost us any game? I never understood the hate. People point to the South Africa game when the whole team played poorly and our midfield was non-existent. I think both he and Ezenwa have proven to be capable backup to Ikeme.
I have to agree with you there. I don't get why people keep blaming Akpeyi for the loss to South Africa. He wasn't the reason we lost that game IMHO. The whole team played poorly in the second half after not taking their chances in the first half of the game...
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
October 3, 2017042

I don't think where he plays was a factor as he was home based before moving and has always been held to higher esteem by Rohr.
That said, let the best players be used to prosecute the game. Be it Mazi Agbim...(God forbid bad things) :D or Ezenwa.

Watch the video's KOC posted, Rohr mentioned it well well that Akpeyi is a professional playing abroad while Ezenwa is a local guy. I think that heavily factors in to Rohr's decision making because he's mentioned it multiple times now.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Robbynice wrote:
1naija wrote:Has Akpeyi ever cost us any game? I never understood the hate. People point to the South Africa game when the whole team played poorly and our midfield was non-existent. I think both he and Ezenwa have proven to be capable backup to Ikeme.
I have to agree with you there. I don't get why people keep blaming Akpeyi for the loss to South Africa. He wasn't the reason we lost that game IMHO. The whole team played poorly in the second half after not taking their chances in the first half of the game...
Definitely agree, the difference seems to be that Akpeyi just 'looks' jittery when he plays while Ezenwa looks calm, composed and in command of his back line. But personally either one is fine with me.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

maceo4 wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
Definitely agree, the difference seems to be that Akpeyi just 'looks' jittery when he plays while Ezenwa looks calm, composed and in command of his back line. But personally either one is fine with me.
This. I sure dont blame him for the SA loss. Akpeyi just didnt have the air of a confident goalkeeper and that rubs off on defenders.

Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

maceo4 wrote:
Cito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
October 3, 2017042

Watch the video's KOC posted, Rohr mentioned it well well that Akpeyi is a professional playing abroad while Ezenwa is a local guy. I think that heavily factors in to Rohr's decision making because he's mentioned it multiple times now.
What is said is that there is healthy competition amongst the keepers and the best amongst them who comes out tops from the training sessions will man the post.

He said Daniel is playing at a high level and Ezenwa did well in the WAFU Cup.. It will be decided based on their performance in camp
bouncino
Egg
Egg

Post by bouncino »

maceo4 wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
\

Your point is the main problem. He seems too scared of making mistake and does not inspire confidence in his defenders.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

bouncino wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
\

Your point is the main problem. He seems too scared of making mistake and does not inspire confidence in his defenders.
Uncle, which defender did you speak with that told you so?
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

1naija wrote:
bouncino wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
\

Uncle, which defender did you speak with that told you so?
Abeg, make Akpeyi no near our goal-posts for Saturday o...

Go watch the SAfrica game again...The SEagles were not playing that well, but were still in control until a harmless cross into our eighteen; unchallenged, Akpeyi fumbled with the ball, gifting a lurking SAfrican forward a tap-in. Luckily, the ball bounced off the upright.
That was the turning-point in the game. Akpeyi's gaffe spread jitters through the SEagles; SAfrica grew in confidence.

If SAfrica players confessed Akpeyi's presence was 'encouraging', what are the odds Zambia players won't think the same..?

No shaky-shaky Akpeyi for this high-pressure game, abeg...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I would go with Ezenwa. He's a better shot stopper than Akpeyi and has a more assured presence in goal. That being said, I'm not convinced Ezenwa is the best keeper in the NPFL. Hopefully Rohr tries out other NPFL keepers after the Zambia game.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

maceo4 wrote:
Cito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
October 3, 2017042

I will write a bit more on this when I have time.

Rohr has clearly said Akpeyi playing abroad is a factor, however in this case, he is wrong.

The quality of the league in South Africa is better - No 'tactical' at home, better stadia, crowd control, grass, team welfare, player compensation etc.
However it is a toss up as to whether the standard, in terms of player quality and competition is better. They've recently had an African Champion, but thier clubs were on the continent when Enyimba won twice. Sunshine and Pillars have been to the Semis of the CAF champions league recently, and South African sides are not dominating the continent.

Akepyi was never the best keeper at home. There is a long list of Nigerian keepers that were not the best in the league that moved on to South Africa. Akpeyi, Willy Okpara, Peterside Idah, Greg Etafia and maybe even Murphy Akanji (not sure). Sometimes, the right contact or agent links you up with the right opportunity. Sometimes it is about time and chance.

Speaking about actual performance for the Eagles. Akpeyi has been atrocious. The worst keeper in an Eagles shirt since Agbim. He makes about 2 goal causing mistakes per match. Dropping routine crosses into danger areas vs Algeria (Mahrez' shot just missed the goal) and South Africa (they hit the bar) for instance. Watch the games again. Maybe due to his knowledge of his own limited quality, he is a bag of nerves and everyone (including his defence) knows this. When you have one of the opposing coaches basically saying that Akpeyi starting represented their best chance of beating the Eagles, then you know that you are a weakness, and not a strength. Add Uncle Elderson, and you can understand why what could have been a puzzling 0-0 home draw became Bafana's moment in the sun.
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Enugu II wrote:
October 3, 2017042

What's so impressive about stopping a penalty from a junk player like Musa?, hope the coach will pick the best with no bias, can't understand how with so much talent available this "slow"Rohr keeps selecting Musa and Simon
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

I'll speak a bit about other keepers I think could be options.

Ezenwa - Should be no better than a no. 3 with or without Ikeme and Enyeama. Makes about goal causing level error per game (mishandled easy cross vs. Cameroon at home, conceded an unnecessary penalty vs Cameroon away, did the same vs Ghana in WAFU that was not awarded). I like his confidence and demeanor, but that can only take you so far.

Ajiboye - Has done well to be very relevant over a decade after the U-17 tournament with questions over his age. Can't fault the invitation of the keeper of the league champions, but he is obviously not as good as Ezenwa, and should not be in the conversation if the house is anywhere close to full.

Alampasu - I have said it here severally. Has done nothing to deserve an SE call up. He is just an idea that people like to push around. Hopefully he improves enough to validly get into the conversation, but at the moment, should not be in the SE setup.

Uzoho, Nwolokor et al. Hopefully, we get to test one of the emerging crew in Europe, especially Nwolokor, who has a season of starting under his belt.

Enyeama - Not much more can be said about him, although he makes a goal causing error about once in 3 games. I don't think the concentration levels are where they were in the past. Definitely not as good as Ikeme, and I have been saying that since the 2014 WCQs. Ikeme's presence made him start acting up and saying he could not be on the bench for Carl was extremely low. He needs to get a club, get healthy, and get match fit.
So I don't sound like an ingrate, Vince might have had the best performance from a Nigerian keeper in a tournament to help us win the AFCON in 2013 (Arguments can be made for Rufai in Maroc 88 and CIV 84, but we won in 2013).

Femi Thomas - I think he might just be the best keeper available to the SE not named Carl Ikeme today. So why has he not been invited? Time and chance, like I mentioned earlier. Before you call me crazy, think that Okey Emordi and Kadiri Ikhana (the wily old foxes of Nigerian football) both had him starting for Enyimba. Ikhana took him to Kano Pillars, and as things go in Nigeria, when Ikhana got fired, Thomas was in limbo in in Kano. Stanley Eguma has brought him to come and 'manage' in Rivers United. Based on what I have seen, this is a keeper, like Ikeme, who is almost error free (I'll say an unforced error in about 10 games) and technically sound. He benched Ezenwa in the Flying Eagles and has had a more distinguished career in the NPFL. It is a travesty that the likes of Akpeyi are in the SE and Thomas can't even get a callup to the home based SE. I don't expect him to get a callup, but the analysis will be incomplete without his name.

Carl Ikeme - I was a Lone Ranger and subject to much ridicule on this site, when I declared him better than Enyeama around 2013/14. Youtube clips of cheap goals and references to Accrington Stanley were made. I saw this guy on loan to Boro, and it was error free keeping for about 10 games. Clearly our no. 1 if he can get healthy and match fit. Will it happen though?
Last edited by truetalk on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

truetalk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Cito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
October 3, 2017042

Rohr has clearly said Akpeyi playing abroad is a factor, however in this case, he is wrong.

The quality of the league in South Africa is better - No 'tactical' at home, better stadia, crowd control, grass, team welfare, player compensation etc.
However it is a toss up as to whether the standard, in terms of player quality and competition is better. They've recently had an African Champion, but thier clubs were on the continent when Enyimba won twice. Sunshine and Pillars have been to the Semis of the CAF champions league recently, and South African sides are not dominating the continent.

Akepyi was never the best keeper at home. There is a long list of Nigerian keepers that were not the best in the league that moved on to South Africa. Akpeyi, Willy Okpara, Peterside Idah, Greg Etafia and maybe even Murphy Akanji (not sure). Sometimes, the right contact or agent links you up with the right opportunity. Sometimes it is about time and chance.

Speaking about actual performance for the Eagles. Akpeyi has been atrocious. The worst keeper in an Eagles shirt since Agbim. He makes about 2 goal causing mistakes per match. Dropping routine crosses into danger areas vs Algeria (Mahrez' shot just missed the goal) and South Africa (they hit the bar) for instance. Watch the games again. Maybe due to his knowledge of his own limited quality, he is a bag of nerves and everyone (including his defence) knows this. When you have one of the opposing coaches basically saying that Akpeyi starting represented their best chance of beating the Eagles, then you know that you are a weakness, and not a strength. Add Uncle Elderson, and you can understand why what could have been a puzzling 0-0 home draw became Bafana's moment in the sun.

:???: :???:
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

1naija wrote:
truetalk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Cito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
metalalloy wrote:Akpeyi Steals The Show In Eagles First Training Session With Point Blank Saves, Stops Penalty[/size]
October 3, 2017042

:???: :???:
[/quote]

Bros, ma pigin no dey veri gud, but make u trai rid am slolee.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

truetalk wrote:Femi Thomas - I think he might just be the best keeper available to the SE not named Carl Ikeme today. So why has he not been invited? Time and chance, like I mentioned earlier. Before you call me crazy, think that Okey Emordi and Kadiri Ikhana (the wily old foxes of Nigerian football) both had him starting for Enyimba. Ikhana took him to Kano Pillars, and as things go in Nigeria, when Ikhana got fired, Thomas was in limbo in in Kano. Okey Emordi has brought him to come and 'manage' in Rivers United. Based on what I have seen, this is a keeper, like Ikeme, who is almost error free (I'll say an unforced error in about 10 games) and technically sound. He benched Ezenwa in the Flying Eagles and has had a more distinguished career in the NPFL. It is a travesty that the likes of Akpeyi are in the SE and Thomas can't even get a callup to the home based SE. I don't expect him to get a callup, but the analysis will be incomplete without his name.
Any idea why this guy is not getting a look in even for the CHAN team?
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Cito wrote:I don't think where he plays was a factor as he was home based before moving and has always been held to higher esteem by Rohr.

Akpeyi was already playing abroad before Rohr became coach...

Personally I have no issues with any one of the GKs the coaches settle upon to start the game as frankly we are not particularly strong in that department and any difference in quality among the candidates appear marginal at best. Nonetheless, I also hope this is not one of those cases where dudes reportedly “dazzle” in training and then stink up the joint on matchday - for (even excluding the SA debacle) I still recall Akpeyi in one of our Rio Olympic matches trying desperately to imitate a grandmother chasing after a hen down a village path.

As for Egwuekwe, he is in the same South Africa PSL with Akpeyi and co, where his club Super Sport United are trying to get into the final of the CAF Confederation Cup.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
oyek
Egg
Egg

Post by oyek »

If not for Jesus, where will i be?