Nigeria vs. Zambia. A quick analysis.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Nigeria vs. Zambia. A quick analysis.

Post by Waffiman »

My crude stats compiled from watching and re-watching these games tell me Zambia have conceded on average 7 chances per 90 minutes so far in this qualifying series. Although they leave it open and offer spaces for their opponents to exploit, they are good at defending in their box. They do not mind conceding space in the final 3rd but are quick to close it down in the box. Consequently, they do not concede many 'big chances' (i.e chances in front on goal in the penalty box) Their do or die spirit, has seen them make the most blocks in the penalty area, with 2 clearances. So despite conceding on average 7 chances per game, they have only conceded 4 goals from their 4 matches.

By the same token, they have created just under 8 chances on average per 90 minutes and have been very wasteful. They have missed big chances and wasted a lot of good opportunities to create even more chances. This for me, is more down to a lack of savvy or know how as well as a lack of quality. They average 1.50 goals per game, scoring 6 goals from their 4 games. They play a very high running high tempo game, so it is inevitable they will make more mistakes in attack but the danger is if they click, they can be a hand full. Zambia are a progressing team.

The SuperEagles on the other hand dominate the stats in these qualifiers. We are either 1st or 2nd in almost every attacking stats. We dominate especially on percentage of competed passes and take-ons. We also dominate on chances and big chances created. Just look at the goal stats, in what is supposed to be the Group of death, we have scored 10 goals, easily the best in the qualifying series, but what makes the SuperEagles goals tally most impressive is when you see they have conceded only 3 goals. Some will say D.R. Congo has 9 goals, but they have conceded 5 goals and put 4 past Libya. No disrespect to D.R. Congo, but SuperEagels tally is far more impressive at any level of analysis. We average 2.5 goals per game and create just under 11 chances per 90 minutes. Of these chances we create 6 big chances per game.

SuperEagles are also a very well organised defensive unit, At just under an average of 5 chances conceded per game per 90 minutes in the qualification series so far, they have conceded 3 goals at an average of just under one goal per game.

Cameroon and Algeria are already out in this group of Africa's heavyweights, and we hold a three-point lead over Zambia. Everything so far points to us sealing qualification at Uyo come next game on the 7th. But it will not be easy, indeed it will be difficult. Despite the stats, it must be noted that Zambia made changes since we beat them and have improved as a team. They have confidence to go with their improvement and I am glad we will note this and know they are not to be taken lightly. Nigeria has also improved as a team and has tons of confidence despite the setback of losing a good goalie. His replacement remains my only worry as he is yet to be tested.

But, we have a formidable attacking unit, a unit that has delivered goals for every game. So long as we have our shooting boots on, I see us maintaining our goal scoring average of 2 goals plus per game. If we don't we will get at least one goal and it might be enough. From the stats, the Zambians concede an average of a goal per game, there is nothing special in the Zambian team defense and they have to come out looking for the goals that will keep their hopes of qualification alive. This is to our advantage because we also have the defence to use as a foundation for the victory we need for qualification.

We can confirm our place in the finals with a victory and I am respectfully optimistic of victory, but we also know that two points from our final two matches will guarantee a place in Russia. Zambia will need to win in Uyo to realistically keep their hopes alive, but will still be second on goal difference unless they win by three goals, so they will probably need to better Nigeria's result on the final day too. I hope it does not come to this but, all these factors play into our hands in Uyo. We just need to seat back, keep in tight, and pick Zambia off on the counter attack.

Whether we do it on the 7th or not, my champagne is already chilling for Russia. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Honourable mention to Oga Ohsee for inspiring me to open this post as a thread. Thanks Chief.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria vs. Zambia. A quick analysis.

Post by The YeyeMan »

Waffiman wrote:Honourable mention to Oga Ohsee for inspiring me to open this post as a thread. Thanks Chief.
Was he... shaking? :D
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Waffiman wrote:Honourable mention to Oga Ohsee for inspiring me to open this post as a thread. Thanks Chief.
Kongi is already handling that duty. :D
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

@ Waffi, curious, what do your crude stats look like after Zambia revamped their team?

A cursory look at both teams by a neutral observer leads one to conclude that it's too close to call.

For starters, Naija's current goalie is a pena and red card waiting to happen. :scared:
If "God forbid" it happens, then your whole analysis will be out the window.

Also, it is worth noting the good fortune of Naija in playing self imploding teams at the right time during this campaign.
The Zambia team, Nigeria played was ill to the core and purged after they played Cameroon.
The Algerian team was imploding with poor management, coaching, team selection and in fighting.
The Cameroon team post AFCON is a shell of the African Championship team.
It didn't help Cameroon, that FECAFOOT was embroiled in an unusual sideshow, even by their standards, that led to a FIFA normalization leadership team.

This Zambia team will be the first serious team Nigeria will face in the group. :shock:
But at this rate, one cannot help but wonder what the Naija gods or Juju, will do to have the Zambians sabotage themselves before playing Naija. :scared:

Let's siddon look!
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Kabalega wrote:@ Waffi, curious, what do your crude stats look like after Zambia revamped their team?

A cursory look at both teams by a neutral observer leads one to conclude that it's too close to call.

For starters, Naija's current goalie is a pena and red card waiting to happen. :scared:

Also, it is worth noting the good fortune of Naija in playing self imploding teams at the right time during this campaign.
The Zambia team, Nigeria played was ill to the core and purged after they played Cameroon.
The Algerian team was imploding with poor management, coaching, team selection and in fighting.
It didn't help Cameroon, that FECAFOOT was embroiled in an unusual sideshow, even by their standards, that led to a FIFA normalization leadership team.

This Zambia team will be the first serious team Nigeria will face in the group. :shock:
But at this rate, one cannot help but wonder what the Naija gods or Juju, will do to have the Zambians sabotage themselves before playing Naija. :scared:

Let's siddon look!
Ugandan,
Don't worry about us. We will be fine and will give the young Zambian side a lesson.

You should be worried about what James Kwesi Appiah and his boys will do to your team in Kampala.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

truetalk wrote:
Kabalega wrote:@ Waffi, curious, what do your crude stats look like after Zambia revamped their team?

Let's siddon look!
Ugandan,
Don't worry about us. We will be fine and will give the young Zambian side a lesson.

You should be worried about what James Kwesi Appiah and his boys will do to your team in Kampala.
In another word, "siddon look, fingers crossed" and palms on the jaw activated :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

truetalk wrote:

Let's siddon look!
Ugandan,

This Uganda parasite on CE never has anything positive to say about the SE. Ghana will finish them off in Kampala on Saturday!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Undertaker wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Let's siddon look!
Ugandan,

This Uganda parasite on CE never has anything positive to say about the SE. Ghana will finish them off in Kampala on Saturday!
You sound hurt! Not my intention but you know what they say about truth...

BTW, I have a lot of positive things to say about the Eagles though with a heavy heart as I still mourn Shuaibu Amodu and Stephen Keshi. A luta continua.... :thumbs:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Waffiman wrote:My crude stats compiled from watching and re-watching these games tell me Zambia have conceded on average 7 chances per 90 minutes so far in this qualifying series. Although they leave it open and offer spaces for their opponents to exploit, they are good at defending in their box. They do not mind conceding space in the final 3rd but are quick to close it down in the box. Consequently, they do not concede many 'big chances' (i.e chances in front on goal in the penalty box) Their do or die spirit, has seen them make the most blocks in the penalty area, with 2 clearances. So despite conceding on average 7 chances per game, they have only conceded 4 goals from their 4 matches.

By the same token, they have created just under 8 chances on average per 90 minutes and have been very wasteful. They have missed big chances and wasted a lot of good opportunities to create even more chances. This for me, is more down to a lack of savvy or know how as well as a lack of quality. They average 1.50 goals per game, scoring 6 goals from their 4 games. They play a very high running high tempo game, so it is inevitable they will make more mistakes in attack but the danger is if they click, they can be a hand full. Zambia are a progressing team.

The SuperEagles on the other hand dominate the stats in these qualifiers. We are either 1st or 2nd in almost every attacking stats. We dominate especially on percentage of competed passes and take-ons. We also dominate on chances and big chances created. Just look at the goal stats, in what is supposed to be the Group of death, we have scored 10 goals, easily the best in the qualifying series, but what makes the SuperEagles goals tally most impressive is when you see they have conceded only 3 goals. Some will say D.R. Congo has 9 goals, but they have conceded 5 goals and put 4 past Libya. No disrespect to D.R. Congo, but SuperEagels tally is far more impressive at any level of analysis. We average 2.5 goals per game and create just under 11 chances per 90 minutes. Of these chances we create 6 big chances per game.

SuperEagles are also a very well organised defensive unit, At just under an average of 5 chances conceded per game per 90 minutes in the qualification series so far, they have conceded 3 goals at an average of just under one goal per game.

Cameroon and Algeria are already out in this group of Africa's heavyweights, and we hold a three-point lead over Zambia. Everything so far points to us sealing qualification at Uyo come next game on the 7th. But it will not be easy, indeed it will be difficult. Despite the stats, it must be noted that Zambia made changes since we beat them and have improved as a team. They have confidence to go with their improvement and I am glad we will note this and know they are not to be taken lightly. Nigeria has also improved as a team and has tons of confidence despite the setback of losing a good goalie. His replacement remains my only worry as he is yet to be tested.

But, we have a formidable attacking unit, a unit that has delivered goals for every game. So long as we have our shooting boots on, I see us maintaining our goal scoring average of 2 goals plus per game. If we don't we will get at least one goal and it might be enough. From the stats, the Zambians concede an average of a goal per game, there is nothing special in the Zambian team defense and they have to come out looking for the goals that will keep their hopes of qualification alive. This is to our advantage because we also have the defence to use as a foundation for the victory we need for qualification.

We can confirm our place in the finals with a victory and I am respectfully optimistic of victory, but we also know that two points from our final two matches will guarantee a place in Russia. Zambia will need to win in Uyo to realistically keep their hopes alive, but will still be second on goal difference unless they win by three goals, so they will probably need to better Nigeria's result on the final day too. I hope it does not come to this but, all these factors play into our hands in Uyo. We just need to seat back, keep in tight, and pick Zambia off on the counter attack.

Whether we do it on the 7th or not, my champagne is already chilling for Russia. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Honourable mention to Oga Ohsee for inspiring me to open this post as a thread. Thanks Chief.
Waffiman! Incisive analysis :thumb:

The key lies in our midfield; our midfield must justify their superior quality by not 'gifting' turn-overs by:
1) attempting high-percentage passes (Onazi is main culprit)
2) poor first touch

If our midfield can minimize the above; Zambia shall suffer a bulala...because we have enough weapons to open them up at will...

Again, Waffiman, good analysis...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Kabalega wrote:But at this rate, one cannot help but wonder what the Naija gods or Juju, will do to have the Zambians sabotage themselves before playing Naija. :scared:
Is that gonna be your excuse after we win on Sat? :D

Anyway, we know you'll disappear from here for a while when that happens so it'll be good to see the back of you.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Throughout these qualifiers, we have produced an audacious attacking pattern that is superior throughout Africa. Going back to our first match in Ndola and confirmed by our goal in Yaounde, our attacks have been constructive, decisive and clinical in execution. That 3rd goal against Cameroon in Uyo (one of the best I have ever seen from the SE) actually started when Victor Moses dispossessed the cameroonian at the edge of our box 18 and the next time Cameroon touched that ball was when the keeper Ondoa retrieved it from his net. That 3rd goal was not dis-similar to our 3rd goal against Algeria in Uyo, a result of yet another constructive build-up. Now, those goals were also not dis-similar to our 2nd goal in Ndola where Kelechi Iheanacho actually dribbled Keeper Mweene and walked the ball into the net. What am I trying to say?

Many agree that the best attacking force in the EPL today arguably is Liverpool because of the variety of options in the build-up, range of movement and the clinical execution. Right now, the same can be said of this SE. To top it, our defence is not bad either.

On Saturday, I will be particularly focussing on our attack and how we set up and finish because I believe this will be a major attribute for us in Russia. When you attack with Iwobi, Daddy Moses, Victor Moses, JMO, Oghene Etebo, Iheanacho and Ighalo, with Onazi delivering the type of sharp crisp cross for our 4th goal against Cameroon, then you know you have a special team.

My prediction remains Nigeria 4 Zambia 0 because I believe we are that superior and the only reason we may not achieve that is if Rohr decides to remove players at the point of 3 - 0 and bring on the likes of Nwakaeme, Ogu and Agu.
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

Kamala bring up the stats for the Zambian team at and stage of this qualifiers for review. However the stats will be meaningless as we are not losing any game in this qualifiers.
You have not been bold enough to say Zambia will win. Are Can you say that Zambia will win? Zambia will not beat cameroun in ndola
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

truetalk wrote:

Let's siddon look!
Ugandan,

This man sef. Why do always have to take panadol for our headache? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You got your problems, but you insist on looking at Naija's issues. How can you dismiss the African champions like you just have. Your desire to see Naija lose means you have lost all sense of constructive reasoning and respect.

BTW! I covered all bases, including the Zambia we beat at Ndola and the current team. There have improved since we beat them, but we have improved too. Going by performances, we have improved more and are easily the better team. The stats back this up, but of course you want to dismiss the stats because it does not suit your narrative.

Not to worry, as usual, our SuperEagles will do its talking on the green green grass come Saturday. You know what we Nigerians are made of, we do not pass up on the type of opportunity we have in our hands for qualification. We rarely do. Our boys can see the promise land of the WC, the Zambians just do not have our mentality as Nigerians. We just need to calm down and play. Victory will be ours.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
Waffiman wrote:My crude stats compiled from watching and re-watching these games tell me Zambia have conceded on average 7 chances per 90 minutes so far in this qualifying series. Although they leave it open and offer spaces for their opponents to exploit, they are good at defending in their box. They do not mind conceding space in the final 3rd but are quick to close it down in the box. Consequently, they do not concede many 'big chances' (i.e chances in front on goal in the penalty box) Their do or die spirit, has seen them make the most blocks in the penalty area, with 2 clearances. So despite conceding on average 7 chances per game, they have only conceded 4 goals from their 4 matches.

Waffiman! Incisive analysis :thumb:

The key lies in our midfield; our midfield must justify their superior quality by not 'gifting' turn-overs by:
1) attempting high-percentage passes (Onazi is main culprit)
2) poor first touch

If our midfield can minimize the above; Zambia shall suffer a bulala...because we have enough weapons to open them up at will...

Again, Waffiman, good analysis...
Thanks Bro.

Spot on. Our midfield is key. They will look to press and force turn-overs in dangerous areas. But this is also a risky strategy because Mikel can open them up with one ball cos we have tons of pace to get behind and exploit the spaces they will leave in defense.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Nope. :biggrin: :biggrin:
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Waffiman wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Let's siddon look!
Ugandan,

This man sef. Why do always have to take panadol for our headache? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You got your problems, but you insist on looking at Naija's issues. How can you dismiss the African champions like you just have. Your desire to see Naija lose means you have lost all sense of constructive reasoning and respect.

BTW! I covered all bases, including the Zambia we beat at Ndola and the current team. There have improved since we beat them, but we have improved too. Going by performances, we have improved more and are easily the better team. The stats back this up, but of course you want to dismiss the stats because it does not suit your narrative.

Not to worry, as usual, our SuperEagles will do its talking on the green green grass come Saturday. You know what we Nigerians are made of, we do not pass up on the type of opportunity we have in our hands for qualification. We rarely do. Our boys can see the promise land of the WC, the Zambians just do not have our mentality as Nigerians. We just need to calm down and play. Victory will be ours.
Let us siddon look.
Only a sadist would enjoy seeing bullets bringing down birds.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Kabalega wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Let's siddon look!
Ugandan,

Let us siddon look.
I believe the Ghana V Uganda game will be over before ours. Will you be here?
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

I'd be happy with the same end result as wetin we do Cameroon when dem carry yanga land for awa land and that landed them in hot soup! :mad:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Kabalega wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Let's siddon look!
Ugandan,

Let us siddon look.
Chief Kabelega; so you still haven't understood what you have been told so far on this issue? Ok, let me break it down for you in a simpler way. Oga Kabelaga, we no go loose dis mach wit Zambia for Uyo, e no go hapon!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Cito wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Let's siddon look!
Ugandan,

Let us siddon look.
I believe the Ghana V Uganda game will be over before ours. Will you be here?
Have you seen Ayo's post-game analysis? There are worse analysts on CE! :shock:

I hope to see the game with my own korokoro eyes while reciting a small prayer for your goalie not to get red carded. :D
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

It's either going to be a tough fought out 1-0 or an outright blood bath...As Mikel said, the boys will be looking to wrap this up..