In Fairness to Ghana

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: In Fairness to Ghana

Post by Riche007 »

P.23 states:
A shot from team-mate (A) rebounds off the goalkeeper to player (B) who is penalised for playing the ball having been previously in an offside position.

The operative word is "previously". The breda was not offside when the hot was taken, so the goal was legit. Not sure why this is a debate.
Otitokoro wrote:Nope!
Linesman raised his flag AFTER the Ghanaian put the ball in the net, and rightly so.
Go back and look at the visual explanation and read the text. Start from p.22, 'Gaining an advantage', bullet #2 and then look at the offside example given on p.23. Then go back and look at the tape. Be mindful of the fact that the reference point in determining offside in this instance is NOT at the time of the initial shot, BUT at the time of the rebound. The Law was quite clear on that.
Dude was offside.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Otitokoro, you're wrong. Linesman prob thought the Ghanaian player was offside when the shot was taken, but only raised his flag when the player participated in the play. Read the explanation from the cartoon.

Rebounds are fair game, as long as the player was onside when the original shot was taken.
Last edited by Riche007 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Agree. Never said he was not onside at the time his teammate took the shot.
You need to look at whether he was off when the ball rebounded off the keeper. When he put the ball in the net, he was in an offside position (that's when and why the linesman raised his flag).

Further clarification on 'gaining an advantage' from FIFA (and they were clear on the starting point of reference - the rebound, not the initial shot on goal from a teammate)

Maybe this would also help: focus on the person who put the ball in the net (i.e. the goal scorer and not the shot taker, who is irrelevant in the application of this law). At the time of the rebound and prior to him striking the ball into the net, was he in an on-side or off-side (i.e. Gained an Advantage)?
Answering that question would help in better understanding FIFA Law 11 - Offside - 'Gaining an Advantage'
metalalloy wrote:Here is another link with a wider angle that shows the Ghanaianian shooting the ball and the position of the Ghanaian who scored the rebound. At no point was he offside when the ball was struck. you can pause the video yourself

pic 1- Leg striking ball- Ghanaian onside
pic 2- Ball long gone- Ghanaian still onside.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

This ojoro makes it double sweet sef. I remember how tfco was laughing when Chad pulled out of their remaining afcon qualifying matches effectively killing our hopes. All that will be remembered is DNQ no good o. Ojoro or not.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

greg wrote:This ojoro makes it double sweet sef. I remember how tfco was laughing when Chad pulled out of their remaining afcon qualifying matches effectively killing our hopes. All that will be remembered is DNQ no good o. Ojoro or not.
World Cup go sweet o, DNQ and ojoro no good o :rotf:
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Otitokoro wrote:Prof,
No wahala. I have stated my side of the debate. Fortunately, the Ghanaian FA has filed a protest with FIFA and we can await the results of their decision.
Enugu II wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:I am sure you and your fellow Ghanaians desperately want to believe that. :laugh: :laugh:
marutimon wrote:Dude, you really need to go back to the rulebook. You can never be offside on a rebound.
Otitokoro,

I am surprised by your reading of the rule. At the time the ball was hit from outside the box, the eventual goal scorer was onside. The ball hit the GK and then rebounded off the post and the goalscorer outran his defender to hit home the rebound. There is no reason for disallowing that goal as the match officials did. It is really a shame that the officials took that decision but it was the wrong call.
http://asktheref.com/Soccer%20Rules/Question/26220/

http://www.askasoccerreferee.com/category/law11/
In any situation involving a “rebound,” there can never be an offense unless the player receiving the rebound was in an offside position at the time her teammate made the shot that led to the rebound that led to the ball coming to to a teammate of the player who made the shot. Remember, “no offside position, no offside offense.” So, to get to the offense issue, we have to assume that the recipient of the rebounded ball was in an offside position at the moment her teammate touched/played the ball.
Otito, he was on-side when the ball was kicked thus it was a legit goal.
A quick question: If a keeper caught the ball and the drops it to kick it out and a player(who was onside when initial ball was kicked to keeper but made the run after keeper caught the ball but eneded up behind the keeper) behind him steals the ball and rolls it into the net , is it offside?
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

This ojoro dey sweet me. Ghana clutching at straws to prevent being drowned. Once Egypt wins today I hope they will cite this match as reason for not qualifying. .. Yeye WAFU champions with 3 penarity
Sheikh
Egg
Egg

Post by Sheikh »

metalalloy wrote:At no point was the ghanianian in an offside position. First of all you cant see when the shot was taken as the shooter is out of the fram of this video, but and even at the 5 second mark cited above, the Ghanaian player started his run behind the last defender.

This is why I love this site. How can anyone watch this same video and see a player offside before the rebound?

Me i'm 100% happy Ghana was kicked the eff out because of the irritants we have on this site, but they were robbed in this game.
I agree. It was not offside. He had to have been offside at the time the initial ball was played by his team mate (and should be not at an advantage at that moment) not at the time of the rebound. In effect, he was not previously offside. This is clear. It was a goal, and a bad mistake by the linesman.
lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

If Egypt wins today, all this would be irrelevant.
Its nice when someone shoots ur murderer in the back, without asking to be paid.
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Ok, indisputable evidence. It wasn't offside. What will CAF or FIFA do? Both bodies are notorious for sticking doggedly to archaic rules and taking the ridiculous stance on matters requiring simple common sense.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Cito wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:Prof,
No wahala. I have stated my side of the debate. Fortunately, the Ghanaian FA has filed a protest with FIFA and we can await the results of their decision.
Enugu II wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:I am sure you and your fellow Ghanaians desperately want to believe that. :laugh: :laugh:
marutimon wrote:Dude, you really need to go back to the rulebook. You can never be offside on a rebound.
Otitokoro,

I am surprised by your reading of the rule. At the time the ball was hit from outside the box, the eventual goal scorer was onside. The ball hit the GK and then rebounded off the post and the goalscorer outran his defender to hit home the rebound. There is no reason for disallowing that goal as the match officials did. It is really a shame that the officials took that decision but it was the wrong call.
http://asktheref.com/Soccer%20Rules/Question/26220/

http://www.askasoccerreferee.com/category/law11/
In any situation involving a “rebound,” there can never be an offense unless the player receiving the rebound was in an offside position at the time her teammate made the shot that led to the rebound that led to the ball coming to to a teammate of the player who made the shot. Remember, “no offside position, no offside offense.” So, to get to the offense issue, we have to assume that the recipient of the rebounded ball was in an offside position at the moment her teammate touched/played the ball.
Otito, he was on-side when the ball was kicked thus it was a legit goal.
A quick question: If a keeper caught the ball and the drops it to kick it out and a player(who was onside when initial ball was kicked to keeper but made the run after keeper caught the ball but eneded up behind the keeper) behind him steals the ball and rolls it into the net , is it offside?
thank you....was going to ask the last question you asked, but did not, as it might further confuse Otitokoro :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:

In any event, make laff dem bredas jo :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

i had nightmares of gyan leading the corner dance and disgracing Africa in the wc. thank you pharaohs and cranes.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

airwolex wrote:i had nightmares of gyan leading the corner dance and disgracing Africa in the wc. thank you pharaohs and cranes.
The thought of not seeing golden numbers printed on their heads is a major relief
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I would have preferred Ghana at the WC than Egypt , but you have to at least win at home to go to the WC. They didn't win so they will have to sit out.

Having said that, this is a laughing thread as uncle Gotti said. So let Ghana gerrara hia with their goal or no goal cry. I do think they were denied a legitimate penalty and I do think they were denied a legitimate goal, none of which would have made any difference in their chances of going to the WC.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

1naija wrote:I would have preferred Ghana at the WC than Egypt , but you have to at least win at home to go to the WC. They didn't win so they will have to sit out.

Having said that, this is a laughing thread as uncle Gotti said. So let Ghana gerrara hia with their goal or no goal cry. I do think they were denied a legitimate penalty and I do think they were denied a legitimate goal, none of which would have made any difference in their chances of going to the WC.
Even if Dem win the game by a million goals, if Egypt win today the bredas are screwed
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Otitokoro wrote:Agree. Never said he was not onside at the time his teammate took the shot.
You need to look at whether he was off when the ball rebounded off the keeper. When he put the ball in the net, he was in an offside position (that's when and why the linesman raised his flag).

Further clarification on 'gaining an advantage' from FIFA (and they were clear on the starting point of reference - the rebound, not the initial shot on goal from a teammate)

Maybe this would also help: focus on the person who put the ball in the net (i.e. the goal scorer and not the shot taker, who is irrelevant in the application of this law). At the time of the rebound and prior to him striking the ball into the net, was he in an on-side or off-side (i.e. Gained an Advantage)?
Answering that question would help in better understanding FIFA Law 11 - Offside - 'Gaining an Advantage'
metalalloy wrote:Here is another link with a wider angle that shows the Ghanaianian shooting the ball and the position of the Ghanaian who scored the rebound. At no point was he offside when the ball was struck. you can pause the video yourself

pic 1- Leg striking ball- Ghanaian onside
pic 2- Ball long gone- Ghanaian still onside.
Offside is judged at the time the ball is touched or played by a teammate, not when the player receives the ball, so the shot taker is most certainly relevant. Look at this quote on page 23 from the link below.
(1) Off-side shall not be judged at the moment the player in question receives the ball, but at the moment when the ball is passed to him by one of his own side .A player who is not in an off-side position when one of his colleagues passes the ball to him or takes a free-kick, does not therefore become off-side if goes forward during the flight of the ball.
https://ssbra.solidwebworks.com/ifab/as ... 997min.pdf

Focusing on the player who scored, at the time the ball rebounded to him, he was in an onside position when the ball was kicked AND because you can not become off-side if you go forward during the flight of the ball from an onside position. He did not gain an advantage as he was never "previously in an off side position"

Going by your interpretation, if a back pass is played by the opponent, and it rebounds off the post or the keeper , and a striker alone in the box behind the last defender kicks in it, your would find him offside which is incorrect.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Had to resurrect this. Where is thiefco :lol:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

bret- hart wrote::rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Had to resurrect this. Where is thiefco :lol:

who? Mysterious Dwarf? Werld Kap sweet o....DNQ no good o...
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Rawlings wrote:what difference does it make.
Ghana is boycotting the world cup
A new one :D
Ghana is boycotting the World Cup at Russia next year, because Putin mess with the US election?
How una dey swallow panadol for someone else's headache
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

bret- hart wrote::rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Had to resurrect this. Where is thiefco :lol:
Getting hitched :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 100%Naija »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I'm the biggest boss that you've seen thus far, Reppin' PH & NGR to the Fullest
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158494
Babafad wrote: My brother, dis money go scatter akara for inside oil. Just dey watch!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Coach wrote:Everybody singing hallelujah
Hallelujah
Make we sing ooh (oyaaya)
I say help me sing ooh (oyaaya)
:bump: :rotf:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

did ghana win a home game in the qualifiers?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved