We don qualify; So whats next?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

charlie
Egg
Egg
We don qualify; So whats next?

Post by charlie »

Well done Super Eagles for your qualification run. You made sure there is absolutely no doubt you were the best team in your group, and this is a testament to a great coaching crew led by Gerald Rohr, and your own dedication and preparation as professionals.

So whats next? Well now the hard work begins.
It is my hope that over the next months, the football administration team executes a clear and elaborate training program and friendly match schedule to get this squad ready for Russia.
Here are my proposals.

1. Nacho and Musa should lead the squad in our last match in Algeria. Use this opportunity to also test out new young players to bolster our midfield and defense where we still need some depth. I am particularly concerned that when Mikel is out of the squad, we do not look as composed as we are with him.

2. Use Rohr's european contacts to immediately schedule grade A friendlies with European power houses only (Germany, France, Spain, England, Italy etc). We can no longer afford to waste international friendlies on world minnows (no disrespect intended).

3. Plan a south american 2-3 game tour against teams like Chile, Peru, Mexico, Equador, etc. We have historically struggled more against south american competition than european competition at the world cup and knowing our luck, chances are we will find ourselves in the same group as Argentina once again (never count them out)

We have a solid core of players and coaching team that are well positioned to do well in Russia. Now is the time to prepare and strengthen our core for the big dance. With the right exposure to top competition, I am confident this squad can target the semi-finals as a goal for this world cup.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: We don qualify; So whats next?

Post by kajifu »

I think SE should go to Russia with one target and it should be bring the cup to the continent,i have look at the WQ i know the world cup is 9 months away but the is no team SE cant beat when the right personal and tactics is apply.No need to go to just take part and play 3 or 4 games and back home.
Go SE,make Africa great a gain.
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

I have said it and I will repeat it. Nwakali should be introduced to our team and gradually integrate with other players. His ability is similar to mikel, that ability to shield or protect the ball and laying that pass.

Also we need to try Aina for 90 mins in Algeria while we try the Nigeria striker in Brugge and olayika in Belgium.
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

everyone now just talking and making proposals abi.??? SMH
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

icee wrote:everyone now just talking and making proposals abi.??? SMH
They deserve it after the last year of tension soaked matches.

Wha choo looking at?!
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

So what? Why shouldn't we?
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Lord save us from the likes of Ohenhen, Vancity, wAyo, et. al... every day dem go come with list of players and possible line ups.

Feeling sorry for Rohr right about now. He has no clue what he is about to face...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Remind me the purpose of this site. If you dont have proposals of your own, no one is forcing you to comment.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

What's next?

Develop new/additional options in the following positions:

1. GK: I hate to say it, but, Get Enyeama back! As soon as he gets a starting position in a Grade A team. Ezenwa is an NPL level GK, period...

2. A left-footed LB to challenge Echiejile. Take another look at the guy in Egypt. Maroof I think...

3. Play Mikel Agu in next game over Onazi so he can develop confidence. And play him in Grade A friendlies. His ball holding skills are quite interesting...

4. Start looking for additional options in CM: keep an eye on Joel Obi in spite of his injury history

5. Talk with Solanke, NOT Abraham
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:What's next?

1. GK: I hate to say it, but, Get Enyeama back! As soon as he gets a starting position in a Grade A team. Ezenwa is an NPL level GK, period...

2. A left-footed LB to challenge Echiejile. Take another look at the guy in Egypt. Maroof I think...

3. Play Mikel Agu in next game over Onazi so he can develop confidence. And play him in Grade A friendlies. His ball holding skills are quite interesting...

4. Start looking for additional options in CM: keep an eye on Joel Obi in spite of his injury history

I agree with your points. I also think the two Nwakalis should be looked at. And like you, I feel if you are good enough, you are old enough. Afraid of our ball retention without Mikel.
Would love to see quality options in defense...

Rohr and his scouting department have their work cut out for them...

Personally, maintaining team chemistry is of utmost importance to me.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote:Lord save us from the likes of Ohenhen, Vancity, wAyo, et. al... every day dem go come with list of players and possible line ups.

Feeling sorry for Rohr right about now. He has no clue what he is about to face...

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Mexico is not in south america
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Synopsis wrote:Image

DOES ANYONE TAKE A TABLE LIKE THIS (WITH THE ALLEGED RANKINGS) SERIOUSLY? AS THEY SAY...

...that's why they play the game.
Bell
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Cellular wrote:

I agree with your points. I also think the two Nwakalis should be looked at. And like you, I feel if you are good enough, you are old enough. Afraid of our ball retention without Mikel.

Txj, I have to disagree with your point #1. Ezenwa has so far proven himself as very capable. He conceeded only 2 goals from open play in the qualifiers (though that penalty against cameroon was an egregious blunder). Bringing Enyema back now is probably not the best option. I remember when Enyema started, many people had the same complaints about him we are hearing about Ezenwa (brash, poor decision making but great shot stoper with cat like reflexes, etc).

This is why playing quality competition in friendlies is paramount. Until Ezenwa faces the Mbape's, Suarev's and Messi's of the world we wont know if he has "it" yet.

Me, I suggest that we postpone the decision to bring Enyema back until Ezenwa proves without doubt that he is not ready.
As for Echiejile at that LB position, he needs to watch out for Ola Aina. That bobo is gunning for his position.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

osita wrote:I have said it and I will repeat it. Nwakali should be introduced to our team and gradually integrate with other players. His ability is similar to mikel, that ability to shield or protect the ball and laying that pass.

Also we need to try Aina for 90 mins in Algeria while we try the Nigeria striker in Brugge and olayika in Belgium.

I agree. Mikel is our biggest weak link in the sense that if he is injured, we are done for at the moment. We still havent found a replacement for him.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Cellular wrote:Lord save us from the likes of Ohenhen, Vancity, wAyo, et. al... every day dem go come with list of players and possible line ups.

:lol: :lol:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

charlie wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Txj, I have to disagree with your point #1. Ezenwa has so far proven himself as very capable. He conceeded only 2 goals from open play in the qualifiers (though that penalty against cameroon was an egregious blunder). Bringing Enyema back now is probably not the best option. I remember when Enyema started, many people had the same complaints about him we are hearing about Ezenwa (brash, poor decision making but great shot stoper with cat like reflexes, etc).

This is why playing quality competition in friendlies is paramount. Until Ezenwa faces the Mbape's, Suarev's and Messi's of the world we wont know if he has "it" yet.

Me, I suggest that we postpone the decision to bring Enyema back until Ezenwa proves without doubt that he is not ready.
As for Echiejile at that LB position, he needs to watch out for Ola Aina. That bobo is gunning for his position.
At that point it will most likely be too late. We have three GK spots, Ezenwa has def earned a right to be considered. Apart from him, everything is wide open. It is unlikely Ikeme will be ready if he recovers from his illness, and shell shocked akpeyi has no business anywhere in Russia abeg. Once Enyeama gets a club (which he will) he should be brought back into the fold to compete for a spot. You can't buy his experience and skill anywhere.

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...with oyinbo man at the helms expect the thieves to cave in to all his demands in preparing Russia. Big time friendlies coming.
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

charlie wrote:
Cellular wrote:

I absolutely agree with you. Ezenwa has earned his stripes. We better start planning on Ezenwa now. He has become a "govt-property" now. Get him as many games as possible, get special goal-keepers training on a 6-months program.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Someone had to say it about Ezenwa. I like him but under no circumstances should he be pitted against the world's best if Enyeama and Ikeme are available.

Solanke over Abraham, interesting..... I'd say Solanke offers something Nigeria's current array of strikers don't possess.

Agreed on Joel, and the left back and CM positions....
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.