My line-up for the Nov 6 match against Algeria

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: My line-up for the Nov 6 match against Algeria

Post by ohenhen1 »

Tobi17 wrote:it's pointless playing our big names in these game...what have they got to prove in a match that is as good as a mere friendly? the likes of Mikel, Moses, Ighalo, Balogun, and the relatively established players should just go on a vacation...all the players yet to be tried out like Aina. Ebuehi, Nwakaeme, Onyekuru, Bazee etc should be given a try out...a test of our team B for depth pretty much.
:agree:
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Although I feel that Ayo's line up has a midfield imbalance and an attacking overload, he is right to try players in our problematic and or under represented positions.

Defesive mid field: If Ogu, Etebo, Esiti, Agbo, Agu are not it, then try the best back up.
Playmaker: Play Mikel's back up and heir apparent, Iwobi.
Left back: Play the best alternative. be it Aina or Joel Obi, if fit.
Goalkeeper: Give Ajiboye or Alampasu the experience.
Right back: Let Ebuehi get his cap or Nura Abdullahi, if fit.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

cic old boy wrote:1. Nobody cares about your internet coaching.

2. A dead rubber match is not the "deep end".
:rotf: or anyone else's to be true as I save fiction for Marvel.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Rohr is quite conservative. He made the point before the Zambia game that he had a full squad of fit players and everybody wants to play. On this basis, don't expect to see more than 2 new faces to the current team.

He will get an opportunity to see how his fringe players cope. Same players will be called.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

It's obvious that some here hardly played team sports. We need to continue building and fine tuning the team. That's not wasting time getting a bunch of strangers playing together. This is not a third place match or end of season, position on table already established so let's give others a run out. We are heading to the world cup.

We're already a yr or two behind the team's likely to win it. Let's not look down but up and see where the competition is at and what they're doing. Some of them are playing more games and higher grade too.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

My hunch is that the following will not be available in the Algeria game and the possible friendly against Morocco same week:

Mikel Obi
Victor Moses

These are possible starters v Algeria:

Awaziem
Etebo
Mikel Agu
Ahmed Musa
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Getting trounced 1-5 by playing a bunch of reserves will not do wonders for morale and will put pressure on Rohr. You know how Nigerians overreact and go ballistic if the team loses ONE game.
Tobi17 wrote:it's pointless playing our big names in these game...what have they got to prove in a match that is as good as a mere friendly? the likes of Mikel, Moses, Ighalo, Balogun, and the relatively established players should just go on a vacation...all the players yet to be tried out like Aina. Ebuehi, Nwakaeme, Onyekuru, Bazee etc should be given a try out...a test of our team B for depth pretty much.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

wiseone wrote:Getting trounced 1-5 by playing a bunch of reserves will not do wonders for morale and will put pressure on Rohr. You know how Nigerians overreact and go ballistic if the team loses ONE game.

The goal is to win the war, not a battle or pointless skirmish. Nigeria morale will be fine. The backups won't lose by 5 goals to one to that poor Algerian team.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I agree with you. My point is that Nigerians are not the most rational people after the team loses a game. I just do not want the usual tumult and moves to fire the coach just before the WC.

ohenhen1 wrote:

The goal is to win the war
, not a battle or pointless skirmish. Nigeria morale will be fine. The backups won't lose by 5 goals to one to that poor Algerian team.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

mystic wrote:Rohr will not change his team wholesale ahead of the Algeria game. There will be a few fringe players added to the mix. But I expect to see something close to our first team against Algeria.

If the Morocco game comes off as planned, we may then see a more adventurous lineup.
For the 1st 11, he would make upto 3 changes on the outfield players and 1 Gk.

Another 4 changes would be made to the 2nd 12 (excluding GK).
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Personnel will likely remain unchanged, what might change is the formation. Playing Mikel in the attacking m/f, with his lack of pace and stamina to go the distance, may prove to be a problem at the WC against more tactical opponents, so options need to be explored. Also we need another arrow head, other than Ighalo.

Rohr is comfortable with his current crop of players and will likely see out the final qualifier game with them. His 2nd string are likely to be used. It's high time Ebuehi got to play a full game. We need to explore a plan B cetral defence option
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Personnel will likely remain unchanged, what might change is the formation. Playing Mikel in the attacking m/f, with his lack of pace and stamina to go the distance, may prove to be a problem at the WC against more tactical opponents, so options need to be explored. Also we need another arrow head, other than Ighalo.

Rohr is comfortable with his current crop of players and will likely see out the final qualifier game with them. His 2nd string are likely to be used. It's high time Ebuehi got to play a full game. We need to explore a plan B cetral defence option
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

wiseone wrote:Getting trounced 1-5 by playing a bunch of reserves will not do wonders for morale and will put pressure on Rohr. You know how Nigerians overreact and go ballistic if the team loses ONE game.

[1] Upon what do you base the claim that the line-up I came up with is a weak team?
[2] I put it to you that several of the players in are better than those who started against Cameroon and Zambia
[3] Gernot Rohr obviously did not want to take any risks with the stakes so high, which is why he stuck with his old (not best) team
[4] Now is the perfect opportunity to try out these untested players
[5] Anyone who thinks Simon Moses can cope at the World Cup is just naive
[6] Likewise, anyone who starts Elderson Echiejile against say Brazil does not wish Nigeria well
[7] Is there really anyone here who would not have Kelechi Nwakali in their starting 11?
[8] Who saw Ola Aina on Saturday and thinks he is a worse leftback than Uwua Echiejile
[9] Who here is comfortable with the way Ogenyi Onazi gives the ball away in midfield?
[10] Who here does not want to see our other centrebacks tried out? At the moment, we only have two
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The following players need to be looked at in camp and the game against ALgeria and a possible friendly

Joel Obi
Kelechi Nwakali
Dennis Bonaventure
Henry Onyekuru
Cyriel Dessers
Isaac Success
Stephen Eze
Ola Aina
Nura Abdullahi
Azuibikwe
NOah Bazee (if fit)

I would drop the following

ahmed Musa
Nwakaeme
John Ogu

I just dont think these 3 are good enough to be seriously considered for Russia

Frankly I think we have about 75% of our final squad to Russia, and I think our starting 11 is roughly 75% ready as well.

From the starting lineup for the last 3 games the following would need to change in Russia

1. Ezenewa replaced by Enyeama or Ikeme if fit
2 Echijele replaced by AIna
3. If Joel Obi can stay fit he will replace one of Onazi or Ndidi
4. Moses Simon drops for one of Iwobi, Bazee, ONyekuru, Success, Bonaventure
5. Ighalo possibly drops for one of Iheanacho, Dessers, Success, Bonaventure, Onyekuru

Against Algeria and the possible friendly it is important to have some of the regulars play alongside the new faces for some continuity and it will also help those debutants and enhance their effectiveness. 11 completely new players is not optimal to access their talent, they must play alongside established players.

Major goals of these matches.

1. Establish a backup to Mikel
2. Establish who is the best winger to play alongside Moses on the opposite flank
3. Establish other options for top striker
4. Test other LB and RB
5. Figure out backup for Balogun and Troost
6. Who is the best midfielder after the trio of Mikel, Onazi, Ndidi, MIKEL AGU DOES NOT CUT IT FOR ME
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:*******************************Osimhen*********************************

****************Iheanacho******************Olanare*******************

**************************************Iwobi******************************

***************Etebo**************************Nwakali******************

***Aina*************Awazien***************Agbo*************Ebuehi***

***********************************Enyeama (C)**************************

Time to throw these boys in at the deep end. I see no reason why this team cannot get a result away in Algiers.
I am beginning to think you do this on purpose for attention
yes o
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

vancity eagle wrote:The following players need to be looked at in camp and the game against ALgeria and a possible friendly

Joel Obi
Kelechi Nwakali
Dennis Bonaventure
Henry Onyekuru
Cyriel Dessers
Isaac Success
Stephen Eze
Ola Aina
Nura Abdullahi
Azuibikwe
NOah Bazee (if fit)

ahmed Musa
Nwakaeme
John Ogu

Frankly I think we have about 75% of our final squad to Russia, and I think our starting 11 is roughly 75% ready as well.

From the starting lineup for the last 3 games the following would need to change in Russia

5. Ighalo possibly drops for one of Iheanacho, Dessers, Success, Bonaventure, Onyekuru

Against Algeria and the possible friendly it is important to have some of the regulars play alongside the new faces for some continuity and it will also help those debutants and enhance their effectiveness. 11 completely new players is not optimal to access their talent, they must play alongside established players.

2. Establish who is the best winger to play alongside Moses on the opposite flank
4. Test other LB and RB
6. Who is the best midfielder after the trio of Mikel, Onazi, Ndidi, MIKEL AGU DOES NOT CUT IT FOR ME

Personally, I am of the view that Mikel needs to return to his traditional role of that of an anchorman alongside Ndidi. Rohr should use this match to start the search for a playmaker to play behind the front three.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:The following players need to be looked at in camp and the game against ALgeria and a possible friendly

Joel Obi
Kelechi Nwakali
Dennis Bonaventure
Henry Onyekuru
Cyriel Dessers
Isaac Success
Stephen Eze
Ola Aina
Nura Abdullahi
Azuibikwe
NOah Bazee (if fit)

ahmed Musa
Nwakaeme
John Ogu

4. Test other LB and RB

Personally, I am of the view that Mikel needs to return to his traditional role of that of an anchorman alongside Ndidi. Rohr should use this match to start the search for a playmaker to play behind the front three.

I think Mikel should alternate roles if we can find a good AM.

So far Mikel is still our best AM, and he has been so for nearly a decade. HIs vision and passing range is unmatched. Quite frankly I dont really trust him as a pure DM, he is too slow and doesn't cover the necessary ground.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

vancity eagle wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Joel Obi
Kelechi Nwakali
Dennis Bonaventure
Henry Onyekuru
Cyriel Dessers
Isaac Success
Stephen Eze
Ola Aina
Nura Abdullahi
Azuibikwe
NOah Bazee (if fit)

ahmed Musa
Nwakaeme
John Ogu

4. Test other LB and RB

I think Mikel should alternate roles if we can find a good AM.

So far Mikel is still our best AM, and he has been so for nearly a decade. HIs vision and passing range is unmatched. Quite frankly I dont really trust him as a pure DM, he is too slow and doesn't cover the necessary ground.
See the way the Zambians closed Mikel down in Uyo whenever he had the ball? We need a quicker playmaker, who can run away from players.

This will enable Mikel to play the deeper playmaker role with his range of passing ala Pirlo. I am not sure Iwobi has the physicality for this though and 2018 appears to be a bit too early for Makanjuola.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

You both realize that if Nigeria decides to make wholesome changes to the lineup and we lose the game, that could negatively impact our FIFA rankings and thus, our WC group seeding? We simply cannot risk losing that game.
I agree with a partial change, not a wholesome change.
ohenhen1 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Otitokoro wrote:You both realize that if Nigeria decides to make wholesome changes to the lineup and we lose the game, that could negatively impact our FIFA rankings and thus, our WC group seeding? We simply cannot risk losing that game.
ohenhen1 wrote:

We are ranked 44th in the world. I do not think the result of that match will make much difference to that.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:You both realize that if Nigeria decides to make wholesome changes to the lineup and we lose the game, that could negatively impact our FIFA rankings and thus, our WC group seeding? We simply cannot risk losing that game.
ohenhen1 wrote:

We are ranked 44th in the world. I do not think the result of that match will make much difference to that.

its not even that.

tHe rankings used for seeding are going to be based on the October rankings, so the algeria match will not be taken into account.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Algeria away will be a good test for our new players. I am expecting the Algerians to come out all guns blazing in a bid to redeem some pride. They will not fancy losing to Nigeria at home.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

We need this game more than Algeria needs it since qualification is not at stake for either team. Nigeria needs to continue to build team chemistry. Making a wholesale change makes no sense. I would only change 2 players from the team that started against Zambia, namely Ola Aina for Echiejile, and Iwobi for Mikel. Those are the only 2 spots we need serious back up at. I would then bring in Akpeyi at half time, as well as sub out Victor Moses for Nacho and another striker for Ighalo to complete the 3 subs. We can test fringe players in subsequent friendlies.

Mexico fielded their full squad against Panama last week eventhough they have already qualified. I am sure they have 11 new players that they could have started in the game but they didn't.
Last edited by 1naija on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.