EKONG: I hope Oliseh is watching.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: EONG: I hope Oliseh is watching.....

Post by anikulapo »

Odas wrote:
Gotti wrote:Nigerians! When we should be happy, we instead look for unnecessary fights...
Maybe Oliseh’s position led Ekong to “toughen” up. Either way, both seem happy where each currently is!
Thanks Chief Gotti, very well said. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

If the roles were reversed and a Dutch coach refused to play a biracial kid and used a negative stereotype of black people as an excuse I wonder what you would say :idea: Lets be careful what we applaud :arrow: :idea:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Gotti wrote:Nigerians! When we should be happy, we instead look for unnecessary fights...
so true. you see this even on this site
Our people don't know how to be happy outside of acrimony
chuks69
Egg
Egg
Re: EKONG: I hope Oliseh is watching.....

Post by chuks69 »

It's also important to highlight EKONG only got into the Olympics team due Kenneth Omeruo pulling out to sort club problems... At the Olympics, i am sure he won Siasia and Nigérians over.. with his clean tackles, imposing play etc..
afc##
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

anikulapo wrote:If the roles were reversed and a Dutch coach refused to play a biracial kid and used a negative stereotype of black people as an excuse I wonder what you would say :idea: Lets be careful what we applaud :arrow: :idea:
Assuming that Oliseh actually said that - and personally I have my doubts because Troost-Ekong actually STARTED for the SE (over Obaobona) under Oliseh in an ANCQ against Tanzania, the same match going into which Oliseh summarily elevated so-called "Oyibo" Carl Ikeme over Vince Enyeama - if one had a penny for every time a player resolved to up or otherwise change his/her game on the basis of a coach's personal criticism (and I did not say that's definitely what happened), one would be a billionaire! Nonetheless, the limited point was that the controversy (real or simply made-up) is not necessary at this point in time. Let's not start chasing shadows in derogation of real substance!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

William Troost-Ekong Development ‘Surprises’ Efe Ambrose – He Is Way Better Now
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/10/wi ... etter-now/
October 10, 2017015

Out of favour Super Eagles defender Efe Ambrose says he is surprised at how quick Bursaspor William Troost-Ekong has developed into a better defender in such a short time.

Ambrose was among the senior players of the Super Eagles when Ekong made his international debut for Nigeria three years ago in a Nations Cup Qualifiers tie against Chad in Kaduna.

” Ekong has grown into a very good defender in such a short time, he is way better now than when he played his first game for Nigeria few years ago”, Ambrose told Owngoalnigeria.com in an exclusive chat.

” I have watched him in the last few games of the Super Eagles and although there are still some areas of his game that need improvement, but overall he has improved.

” He (Ekong) use to be very uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, he still need to work on that but in other areas especially in making tackles and giving coverage I must confess he has improved tremendously “.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

Enugu II wrote:
October 10, 2017015

Out of favour Super Eagles defender Efe Ambrose says he is surprised at how quick Bursaspor William Troost-Ekong has developed into a better defender in such a short time.

Ambrose was among the senior players of the Super Eagles when Ekong made his international debut for Nigeria three years ago in a Nations Cup Qualifiers tie against Chad in Kaduna.

” Ekong has grown into a very good defender in such a short time, he is way better now than when he played his first game for Nigeria few years ago”, Ambrose told Owngoalnigeria.com in an exclusive chat.

” I have watched him in the last few games of the Super Eagles and although there are still some areas of his game that need improvement, but overall he has improved.

” He (Ekong) use to be very uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, he still need to work on that but in other areas especially in making tackles and giving coverage I must confess he has improved tremendously “.
Look who is talking
yes o
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

9jaMan wrote:Oliseh and siasia are both clowns, simple and plain
...why not, they are locals not oyinbo :biggrin:
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Gotti wrote:
anikulapo wrote:If the roles were reversed and a Dutch coach refused to play a biracial kid and used a negative stereotype of black people as an excuse I wonder what you would say :idea: Lets be careful what we applaud :arrow: :idea:
Assuming that Oliseh actually said that - and personally I have my doubts because Troost-Ekong actually STARTED for the SE (over Obaobona) under Oliseh in an ANCQ against Tanzania, the same match going into which Oliseh summarily elevated so-called "Oyibo" Carl Ikeme over Vince Enyeama - if one had a penny for every time a player resolved to up or otherwise change his/her game on the basis of a coach's personal criticism (and I did not say that's definitely what happened), one would be a billionaire! Nonetheless, the limited point was that the controversy (real or simply made-up) is not necessary at this point in time. Let's not start chasing shadows in derogation of real substance!
You have done a great job of equivocating and circumnavigating the point :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But the point remains, how would we feel if a Dutch coach like Advocaat had ruled out a biracial player for similar negative stereotypes of black people. Yes we would be all up in Arms. Injustice has no single color nor is it limited to any ethnicity ....Just my two cents... wrong is wrong ....PERIOD.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

anikulapo wrote:
Gotti wrote:
You have done a great job of equivocating and circumnavigating the point :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But the point remains, how would we feel if a Dutch coach like Advocaat had ruled out a biracial player for similar negative stereotypes of black people. Yes we would be all up in Arms. Injustice has no single color nor is it limited to any ethnicity ....Just my two cents... wrong is wrong ....PERIOD.
And exactly what in my post (particularly the highlighted) that gave you the impression that I believe that Oliseh ruled him out on the basis of a “similar stereotype”? Would it be the fact that I provided FACTUAL evidence that contradicts same? Dude, when I talked about chasing shadows I was not actually referring to you, but now given your dogged Strawman Argument, if the sprint fits... SMDH!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

anikulapo wrote:
Odas wrote:
Maybe Oliseh’s position led Ekong to “toughen” up. Either way, both seem happy where each currently is!

If the roles were reversed and a Dutch coach refused to play a biracial kid and used a negative stereotype of black people as an excuse I wonder what you would say :idea: Lets be careful what we applaud :arrow: :idea:
Aniks My Broda ..

You miss road on this one :mrgreen:

For starters isn't Oliseh himself married to an oyinbo woman and his kids bi-racial ? And as noted elsewhere Oliseh started Balogun , Ikime and Ekong didnt he

Oliseh has been in Europe long enough to be beyond these kind of sentiments he is accused of so in truth I doubt the veracity of this story .

Personally and as others have noted am not too sold on Ekongs or (even Baloguns )game so at this point I dont think he should assume he that will absolutely be on the WC team. Basically its too early for him to start boasting .
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

paj wrote:
...I politely disagree.. Oliseh has been known to be a d**k both as player and coach..na so so fight he dey fight people anywhere he go....for some other player he for don kill him intl career..see how many players left the SE since Oliseh enter..
Pa
Pa Jeremaya
And how man players left the SE since Oliseh enter ?

Name one other than Enyeama
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Edu wrote:
danfo driver wrote:To the issue at hand, I think Ekong has to be smart. Oliseh is a coach in Europe and Ekong never knows when and if he will one day need Oliseh.

Mourinho did not think Lukaku was ready several years ago, today, he got United to spend 75 million and Lukaku is his first choice. Lukaku played the politics, texting mourinho all through the years and keeping in touch.

In life, you have to play politics.

Anyway, God willing he will have an amazing world cup and next summer, get a great move. I am not happy he went to Turkey.

Bro you missed the point. Its like starting your career and being told you're not smart enough for this company because you're black. He was stereotyped by someone in a leadership position. That can possibly scar a young man for a long time. Him venting might be a good thing.

Good! As long as he is prepared never to work with Oliseh again. You dont know tomorrow. Oliseh is a coach in Netherlands and could be in Eredivisie next season and one day could be in a top European club. Ekong could need a move or a recommendation from Oliseh to complete a move! oliseh (God forbid) could also be named Nigerian coach next year, you never know.

I hope you dont give this advice to your kids or/and younger ones. You never ever want to burn bridges that you may need to cross in the future.

For example, look at the Cybereagles member, Zee-diot!, now. Everyone knows he is rabid and has burned every bridge on here. When that inbred imp is about to get married and the girl's family comes on Cybereagles to ask for recommendation, do you think anyone will speak highly of Zee? Think about it!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

danfo driver wrote:
Edu wrote:
danfo driver wrote:To the issue at hand, I think Ekong has to be smart. Oliseh is a coach in Europe and Ekong never knows when and if he will one day need Oliseh.

Mourinho did not think Lukaku was ready several years ago, today, he got United to spend 75 million and Lukaku is his first choice. Lukaku played the politics, texting mourinho all through the years and keeping in touch.

Anyway, God willing he will have an amazing world cup and next summer, get a great move. I am not happy he went to Turkey.

Bro you missed the point. Its like starting your career and being told you're not smart enough for this company because you're black. He was stereotyped by someone in a leadership position. That can possibly scar a young man for a long time. Him venting might be a good thing.

Good! As long as he is prepared never to work with Oliseh again. You dont know tomorrow. Oliseh is a coach in Netherlands and could be in Eredivisie next season and one day could be in a top European club. Ekong could need a move or a recommendation from Oliseh to complete a move! oliseh (God forbid) could also be named Nigerian coach next year, you never know.

I hope you dont give this advice to your kids or/and younger ones. You never ever want to burn bridges that you may need to cross in the future.

For example, look at the Cybereagles member, Zee-diot!, now. Everyone knows he is rabid and has burned every bridge on here. When that inbred imp is about to get married and the girl's family comes on Cybereagles to ask for recommendation, do you think anyone will speak highly of Zee? Think about it!
:lol: :lol:
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

BAP wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
Odas wrote:

Aniks My Broda ..

For starters isn't Oliseh himself married to an oyinbo woman and his kids bi-racial ? And as noted elsewhere Oliseh started Balogun , Ikime and Ekong didnt he

Oliseh has been in Europe long enough to be beyond these kind of sentiments he is accused of so in truth I doubt the veracity of this story .

Personally and as others have noted am not too sold on Ekongs or (even Baloguns )game so at this point I dont think he should assume he that will absolutely be on the WC team. Basically its too early for him to start boasting .

BaP, my guy long time, hope all is well.

Anyway back to the issue at hand. Are you saying that you doubt the veracity of the story from Ekong or the write up all together? Because my issue is with those supporting the tone and the language of Oliseh's reported speech.

Also being in an interracial relationship is irrelevant and not an excuse or a check to racism. People might love their partner and still despise others of that race or have negative stereotypes regardless :curse: :idea:

I mean, do you think that Oliseh having an oyibo partner preclude him for not thinking white people are soft? I mean come on nah :mrgreen:

Same thing works the other when a white coach might feel people of color are not tactically astute. Either way, all I'm saying is that both ways of thinking are wrong and should not be accepted PERIOD .

Anyway Cheers my guy :thumb:

MLK.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Gotti wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
Gotti wrote:

And exactly what in my post (particularly the highlighted) that gave you the impression that I believe that Oliseh ruled him out on the basis of a “similar stereotype”? Would it be the fact that I provided FACTUAL evidence that contradicts same? Dude, when I talked about chasing shadows I was not actually referring to you, but now given your dogged Strawman Argument, if the sprint fits... SMDH!

Gotta, this is becoming tedious. Are you saying that you don't believe that Oliseh made those comments or are you making assumptions based on a game selection? The comments were made by the party in question as a shot at what was said to him by Oliseh. If it's a lie we know sunny will respond

MLK.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

danfo driver wrote:
Edu wrote:

Airheaded, gasheaded.................idiotic-lover of a ..

MIDGET football-coward. :bump:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

anikulapo wrote:
BAP wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
Odas wrote:

Aniks My Broda ..

Anyway back to the issue at hand. Are you saying that you doubt the veracity of the story from Ekong or the write up all together? Because my issue is with those supporting the tone and the language of Oliseh's reported speech.

Also being in an interracial relationship is irrelevant and not an excuse or a check to racism. People might love their partner and still despise others of that race or have negative stereotypes regardless :curse: :idea:

I mean, do you think that Oliseh having an oyibo partner preclude him for not thinking white people are soft? I mean come on nah :mrgreen:

Same thing works the other when a white coach might feel people of color are not tactically astute. Either way, all I'm saying is that both ways of thinking are wrong and should not be accepted PERIOD .

I dey my broda :thumb: you nko ?

Well the language used doesn't sound like something a foreign born never lived in Nigeria half dutch Nigerian will use so I doubt if Ekong said this at all .

Furthemore, Oliseh himself is one who emphasizes the tactical aspects of soccer over technical aspects or physicality so If anything I would imagine he would be biased more towards Europe based Oyinbos than against them.

Lastly Oliseh utilized other Oyinbos such as the aformentioned Balogun, Ikime and I would also add the likes of Iwobi whom probably never set a foot in Nigeria and are for all intents and purposes Oyibos even though they are not biracial so this story was imho made up by one person or the other .

If indeed Ekong said this which I don't believe he did then he would be well advised not to count his chickens. A lot can happen between now and Russia which starts in June . If for whatever reason he ends up riding the pine as he did recently in Belgium or loses form then chances are he may not even make the squad
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Ekong is a serviceable central defender. If Oliseh said what he said, it was wrong.
That being said, the Ekong of today is a better Ekong than when Oliseh first played him... but he still needs to do a lot of work.

Me, personally, he reminds me of Egboigbe... a backman.

We need to find someone to challenge him for that spot.

Ps., the article looks like the writer took too many liberties with the writeup. But until Ekong says he was misquoted then we have to assume it could be what Oliseh said.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

BAP wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
BAP wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
Odas wrote:

Aniks My Broda ..

I dey my broda :thumb: you nko ?

Well the language used doesn't sound like something a foreign born never lived in Nigeria half dutch Nigerian will use so I doubt if Ekong said this at all .

Furthemore, Oliseh himself is one who emphasizes the tactical aspects of soccer over technical aspects or physicality so If anything I would imagine he would be biased more towards Europe based Oyinbos than against them.

Lastly Oliseh utilized other Oyinbos such as the aformentioned Balogun, Ikime and I would also add the likes of Iwobi whom probably never set a foot in Nigeria and are for all intents and purposes Oyibos even though they are not biracial so this story was imho made up by one person or the other .

If indeed Ekong said this which I don't believe he did then he would be well advised not to count his chickens. A lot can happen between now and Russia which starts in June . If for whatever reason he ends up riding the pine as he did recently in Belgium or loses form then chances are he may not even make the squad

BaP my guy nothing spoil. Let’s hope this is fake news and Sunny never said these things. But oh by the way, Iwobi was born in Lagos :mrgreen: :taunt: :taunt:

MLK.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote:
October 10, 2017015

Why is he surprised? Genuinely young players develop their game over time. ekong is not an age cheat.
I am happy
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

BAP, Oliseh's wife is Moroccan not "oyinbo". Unless he's divorced and remarried.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯