ROHR: On Mikel Agu......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
ROHR: On Mikel Agu......

Post by Enugu II »

Rohr makes case for Agu, Praises Aina After Nigeria seal ticket to Russia
http://aoifootball.com/2017/10/09/rohr- ... to-russia/
By Staff Reporter - October 9, 2017 22 0
SHARE Facebook Twitter

Super Eagles Technical Adviser Gernot Rohr has refused to condemn Mikel Agu after the player’s not to impressive performance after he came on for injured Ogenyi Onazi in the 1-0 victory over Zambia in Uyo on Saturday that sealed the Super Eagles’ spot at the Russia 2018 World Cup, AOIFootball.com reports.

Rohr was however pleased with the contribution of Hull City defender Ola Aina, who made his Nigeria debut as a second-half substitute on Saturday.

Turkey-based Agu came on in the first half for the injured Ogenyi Onazi and put up a performance full of poor touches and misplaced passes that put his teammates under unnecessary pressure.
“It’s not easy to come into such an important game for a young player,” Rohr said in Uyo. “Agu did his best and he’ll learn from the experience. This is not the time to criticise him; we should encourage him.
“He had a difficult game but he will learn.”

Unlike Agu, Aina had an impressive game after replacing the injured left-back Elderson Echiejile.

“Aina did very well and I’m happy for him,” Rohr praised the young defender who is on loan at Hull City from Chelsea.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: ROHR: On Mikel Agu......

Post by Gotti »

Rohr and I are on the same page on this one...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

Well Spoken Rohr :clap:
" “It’s not easy to come into such an important game for a young player,” Rohr said in Uyo. “Agu did his best and he’ll learn from the experience. This is not the time to criticise him; we should encourage him.
“He had a difficult game but he will learn.”

"""Unlike Agu, Aina had an impressive game after replacing the injured left-back Elderson Echiejile"""
Aina definitely appears to be a very good player,
However, remember he came on towards the tail end of the game after Echiejile had fought and tired out the Zambian strikers. He came on to close out the game. Aina's fresh legs looked good against the defeated opponents unlike Agu who came on much earlier in the game.

We are fortunate to have all this talents at our disposal.

Congrats again to Rohr and the players.

.... Hope Rohr continues with us in Russia 2018 ....
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

:agree:
Gotti wrote:Rohr and I are on the same page on this one...
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

The guy came in without a proper warmup due to Onazis sudden injury into a game moving at 100mph warp speed. Of course he was going to be rusty initially. He wasn't as bad as people claim
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

metalalloy wrote:The guy came in without a proper warmup due to Onazis sudden injury into a game moving at 100mph warp speed. Of course he was going to be rusty initially. He wasn't as bad as people claim
True. This was the problem initially. It took him sometime to get into the game. It was to fast for him at some point. Not just physically but mentally too. I don't think he was mentally prepared to come on that early in the game. He got better in the second half and protected the back 4 really well.
From watching him regularly, one can tell he really understands that position very well. I guess Rohr sees that too.
yes o
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

metalalloy wrote:The guy came in without a proper warmup due to Onazis sudden injury into a game moving at 100mph warp speed. Of course he was going to be rusty initially. He wasn't as bad as people claim
TRUE AND BOY those Zambians were very difficult to play against. i actually respect them a lot
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
TRUE AND BOY those Zambians were very difficult to play against. i actually respect them a lot

They really have a good team. That u-20 side is going to be problematic for a few years to come if they can keep up their form.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

I read somewhere that John Ogu should have come on instead of Agu. I disagree firstly the Zambians would have been too fast for Ogu while Agu is big fast and strong. He committed fouls in the first half to match the Zambian physically and to break up play when beaten. In the second half he was up to speed and his fouling stopped. I actually think he is better than Onazi. Happy Rohl is sticking by his players
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Agu did ok. The report of misplaced passes and poor touches is a huge exaggeration. He made some unnecessary fouls shortly after coming on, but he called down in the 2nd half and his confidence grew.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Gotti wrote:Rohr and I are on the same page on this one...
+1
To stop trying is to start dying
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

I WAS WORRIED AFTER AGU GOT IN

I believe he got a yellow card soon after and I was worried he could get another leading to a red and was thinking of replacing him. Didn't notice him the rest of the match (Notice to Nike & NFF: add names to players' jerseys - it's not a revolutionary idea).
Bell
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Bell wrote:I WAS WORRIED AFTER AGU GOT IN

I believe he got a yellow card soon after and I was worried he could get another leading to a red and was thinking of replacing him. Didn't notice him the rest of the match (Notice to Nike & NFF: add names to players' jerseys - it's not a revolutionary idea).
Bell

Notice to you, no team put names on jersey during qualifiers! He Zambia have just "Zambia" on the back of their jersey
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Flex Swift wrote:I read somewhere that John Ogu should have come on instead of Agu. I disagree firstly the Zambians would have been too fast for Ogu while Agu is big fast and strong. He committed fouls in the first half to match the Zambian physically and to break up play when beaten. In the second half he was up to speed and his fouling stopped. I actually think he is better than Onazi. Happy Rohl is sticking by his players
Onazi needs to lose 10lbs at least; he is looking too heavy unlike obi mikel who lost 7 lbs and looked very fast swift and hasn't missed a beat since chelsea years.
Agu is on track to supersede onazi in every way. He is more aggressive, faster bigger stronger and younger and you can argue that his touches though not as soft as onazi at the moment. that is expected given his youthful exuberance .
Last edited by jette1 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Undertaker wrote:

Bell

Notice to you, no team put names on jersey during qualifiers! He Zambia have just "Zambia" on the back of their jersey
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU REALLY WROTE THAT?

Go back and check again nations that took part in qualifiers and come back to report your findings. Zambia? They were using uniforms by a fledgling kitter called Mafro And when did they become role models to Nigerians in soccer?
Bell
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Bell wrote:
Undertaker wrote:

Bell

Go back and check again nations that took part in qualifiers and come back to report your findings. Zambia? They were using uniforms by a fledgling kitter called Mafro And when did they become role models to Nigerians in soccer?
Bell
I am watching Wales vs Republic of Ireland and guess what no names on the back of the shirts
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Flex Swift wrote:
Bell wrote:
Undertaker wrote:

Bell

Bell
I am watching Wales vs Republic of Ireland and guess what no names on the back of the shirts
WELL, GUESS WHAT

I've just checked with Argentina, Brazil, England, France, Italy, Netherlands, Cameroon, Slovakia, Spain, Germany: they all have names on their broad backs.
Bell
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

A lot of people don't get that great national team players are not just introduced but developed.
A lot of forumers ask for players to be selected and expect them to shine immediately.
These same guys ask for these players to be dropped and new players to be invited.
I'm grateful we have a coach who trusts players with potential and believes in their development.
I call that the german mentality. Look at what Löw did at the last WC. He had trust in players who didn't perform well on club level but were established players for the national team for years.
Every team needs its key players and it does not necessarily refer to club level.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

DAgrin wrote:A lot of people don't get that great national team players are not just introduced but developed.
A lot of forumers ask for players to be selected and expect them to shine immediately.
These same guys ask for these players to be dropped and new players to be invited.
I'm grateful we have a coach who trusts players with potential and believes in their development.
I call that the german mentality. Look at what Löw did at the last WC. He had trust in players who didn't perform well on club level but were established players for the national team for years.
Every team needs its key players and it does not necessarily refer to club level.
Disagree, the NT is not for developing players but for giving developed players that are the best in their position in the country a chance to show their stuff. I don't know why Mikel Agu is suddenly Rohrs favorite at every midfield position, he's replaced Mikel and Onazi now. Wonder what happened to Etebo, he seems more ready for these challenges.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

maceo4 wrote:
DAgrin wrote:A lot of people don't get that great national team players are not just introduced but developed.
Disagree, the NT is not for developing players but for giving developed players that are the best in their position in the country a chance to show their stuff. I don't know why Mikel Agu is suddenly Rohrs favorite at every midfield position, he's replaced Mikel and Onazi now. Wonder what happened to Etebo, he seems more ready for these challenges.
Your opinion doesn't contradict to my position at all. I also want the best players in their position to represent Nigeria. But every player needs time to establish. Some need more time, some less. The time they need is not a matter of quality. There are various examples for that. It's a good's coach challenge to discover players who will mature with time given. I trust Rohr on this one even though I'm not yet sold on Agu. Even your mentioned favorite Etebo needs time to be an established player. He is yet to be the finished product. But a patient coach will give him the chance to shine if he fulfills his potential.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

Bell wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:
Bell wrote:
Undertaker wrote:

Bell

Bell
WELL, GUESS WHAT

I've just checked with Argentina, Brazil, England, France, Italy, Netherlands, Cameroon, Slovakia, Spain, Germany: they all have names on their broad backs.
Bell
That one too far. Nigeria vs Cameroon in Uyo 4 weeks ago, Cameroon had their names on their shirts
yes o
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

DAgrin wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Your opinion doesn't contradict to my position at all. I also want the best players in their position to represent Nigeria. But every player needs time to establish. Some need more time, some less. The time they need is not a matter of quality. There are various examples for that. It's a good's coach challenge to discover players who will mature with time given. I trust Rohr on this one even though I'm not yet sold on Agu. Even your mentioned favorite Etebo needs time to be an established player. He is yet to be the finished product. But a patient coach will give him the chance to shine if he fulfills his potential.
There is a difference between giving a player time to settle into the team and 'developing' a player as you put it. Development is done at the U-XX level, at SE level the best have to be picked based on the 'development' they have been doing at their clubs which has shown them to be worthy of a NT spot. Giving them time to show their ability is fine, but with only a few games a year a NT coach doesn't have the time to wait on you to get it together, your quality should shine through relatively quickly if you are indeed one of the best or the coach might move on.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Nope! The NT is NOT where players are developed...
The job of the NT coach is to develop (build) a team, not individual players.

Furthermore, Rohr’s actions has NOTHING to do with so-called “German Mentality” (a term I recall you also peddling during the Betty era that ended up disastrously), because he is simply doing the same thing that EVERY other coach does - bring in some players and drop some players from time to time, and sometimes sticking with players that segments of the chattering class may not necessarily agree is deserving of a NT place (albeit under LCs, it is often referred to on these same pages as “marketing). Accordingly, the same German Rohr has dropped players like Omeruo and Musa Mohammed, who were once starters on his team, Kingsley Madu (who for a while he kept on calling up to the consternation and befuddlement of many), Esiti, who he once fielded in an important WCQ game, Dele Alampasu, Tyrone Ebuehi, even Awaziem was once dropped and later recalled, and of course the likes of Moruf (sp)(the Zamalek dude), Kayode, Onyekuru, Success, et. al. EVERY coach does what Rohr is doing - and gets the benefit-of-the-doubt so long as the team is winning (which is where Betty tripped up).
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL