SE should go to Russia to win the world cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SE should go to Russia for the Gold

Post by Man Ataye »

kajifu wrote:Wow I cant believe some fans here think SE should target last 8 since they have never been in last 8.SMH

You know web always aiM SO LOW!!!!!!!
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Meanwhile JJ told BBC's African Football that our players should just go to Russia to "enjoy themselves". He said we have to be realistic about our chances and should not go there with big expectations.
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

wiseone wrote:Meanwhile JJ told BBC's African Football that our players should just go to Russia to "enjoy themselves". He said we have to be realistic about our chances and should not go there with big expectations.
We shouldn't go to the World Cup just to enjoy ourselves. Even if we have to be realistic about our expectations we should try to at least set a goal. Those who win the World Cup win it because of their mentality. How is any African team ever going to win the World Cup if we just go there to "enjoy ourselves"?

We need to keep pushing the envelope and trying to make it to the next stage and if not that, at least stay on par. Anything less then that is a failure.

I also think JJ says that because he might be afraid of getting eclipsed by this generation of Nigerians.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Sounds to me like JJ does not want this team to exceed the exploits of his team
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

JJ won 1 senior international trophy after playing for the SE for over 13 years. It should not be hard to eclipse the achievements of his era.
highbury wrote:Sounds to me like JJ does not want this team to exceed the exploits of his team
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Robotnik wrote:Nigeria as presently constituted cannot do anything at the world cup.

Lots of preparation needed to tuned up the team. Play top friendly matches.

Many aspects of our game need work but the framework is there.
Do you watch the Argentina friendly?
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

kajifu wrote:
Robotnik wrote:Nigeria as presently constituted cannot do anything at the world cup.

Did you read my second comment in this same thread to expatiate what I said?

Are some of those things not happening..
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

wiseone wrote:Meanwhile JJ told BBC's African Football that our players should just go to Russia to "enjoy themselves". He said we have to be realistic about our chances and should not go there with big expectations.
That is something Kanu Nwankwo will never say. No wonder JJ never won anything for Nigeria as a Captain. Granted, one can argue that JJ is trying to ease the pressure on the team so that they can play with more freedom
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

highbury wrote:
That is something Kanu Nwankwo will never say. No wonder JJ never won anything for Nigeria as a Captain. Granted, one can argue that JJ is trying to ease the pressure on the team so that they can play with more freedom
How did u know Kanu will never say that? What's Kanu record with SE?
oscar52
Egg
Egg
Re: SE should go to Russia to win the world cup

Post by oscar52 »

This Nigeria team is quite good. If the coach can finally jettison Akpeyi then the defense will be much more improved. Re-watched the game against Argentina and Shehu and Aina weren't that bad, they actually played good and it was when the Akpeyi factor took over and the Argentines sensed it and became more aggressive that the defense crumbled. This team has one advantage over the 94 set and its their attack. The 94 set as good as they were struggled to score goals as age finally caught up to Yekini and he struggled for pace. Against Italy even though we took the lead it seemed it was only a matter of time before Italy would equalize and win the game as our attack with Yekini leading it was ineffective. When we had a good attack at the Olympics we actually won it. Iwobi, Iheanacho, Ighalo, Simon can do serious business, we need like two more forward players though as Musa seems a former shell of him old self.
Last edited by oscar52 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

eyan wrote:
highbury wrote:
Captain of the Olympic team
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Robotnik wrote:
kajifu wrote:

Did you read my second comment in this same thread to expatiate what I said?

Are some of those things not happening..
Bros na question I ask no be fight.
Do you believe the team can win the world cup?
Be honest and fear God
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

highbury wrote:
eyan wrote:
highbury wrote:
How does Olympic equate to SE. Even Oruma captained Naija to under-17 glory. When we talk about competition, stop bringing age group games. Putting the question back to you again, what’s Kanu achievement for SE and when he captained SE? Even Yobo had more impact than Kanu.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

eyan wrote:
highbury wrote:
eyan wrote:
highbury wrote:
How does Olympic equate to SE. Even Oruma captained Naija to under-17 glory. When we talk about competition, stop bringing age group games. Putting the question back to you again, what’s Kanu achievement for SE and when he captained SE? Even Yobo had more impact than Kanu.
What has Okocha won for Nigeria as a Captain in the SE? Golden Bronze? :tic: :tic: :tic: :tic: How about Captain of any age group games? OK, lets go further, What has Okocha won as a captain of his club? Any silverware as Captain? Our 1996 Team was pretty much the SE
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: SE should go to Russia to win the world cup

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Una funny ..see mouth
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

highbury wrote:Sounds to me like JJ does not want this team to exceed the exploits of his team
Nah.
"Go and enjoy yourselves" is a common thing said to players and can even be seen as a subtle expression of an ultimate belief in the boys' ability.
By 'enjoying yourselves' you eliminate the fear factor which can cripple one's game on the big occasion, esp for the less experienced. JJ knows this.
Same thing with 'take it one game at a time'. It doesn't mean you don't want to get to the final and win the cup. It just means don't overburden yourself with too many challenges before their time. No need nacking panadol before headache come.

I know in Nigeria we are suspicious of everything and everyone, near-paranoid even, with 'enemies' everywhere, but JJ's comments should be seen in proper context rather the cynical spin you've given them.

I am pretty certain JJ and his peers would like nothing more than for the SE to go forth and conquer at the WC.

All that one you dey talk na petty-mindedness.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

The YeyeMan wrote:I still think Rohr lacks a plan b...

A lot of emphasis on wing play and pace which can be countered by teams playing with a low block.....
For now, 3-5-2 appears to be his Plan B. I am at least glad he has tried another formation.