U.S had a pay to play policy?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet
U.S had a pay to play policy?

Post by bamenda boy »

I thought only Nigeria, I mean Africa does such.
I hear kids are in the inner city and can't pay to get into
clubs academy system. Can someone she some light on this?

Because I am still wondering why my man Mokwelle has not been called up yet.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
funkfunk
Egg
Egg
Re: U.S had a pay to play policy?

Post by funkfunk »

Apart from your silly jibe about my country, good question. I was very surprised about the pay-to-play system the Americans seem to have in place. Basically, you get to learn to play the game and represent your country depending on how fat your parent's wallet is.

Dig this rant:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

bamenda boy wrote:I thought only Nigeria, I mean Africa does such.

This has been discussed on CE if someone can find it. There was a suggestion, I believe by Solowe, that Nigeria set up a fee to players seeking to play. The essence is (1) players are presumed to be doing this already which indicates willingness and ability to pay, and (2) that instead of the funds going to individual pockets the funds go into helping the NFF operate its programs. This certainly has been discussed.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Most developmental US coaches believe in physical players and care less about developing talent.
Also there is the unproductive idea of not allowing for real competition, by continuing ravings about one game
wonders and players without ideas.
Just look at the USMT and there are too many familiar faces. It's like a mafia.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

Yes, of course we do. For me to play travel soccer my parents had to shell out $1200 for it. To play on the high school team was free, but we still had to pay for our own equipment like shin pads and other necessities.

In Africa you can play soccer anywhere where there's public access to a soccer field and they do. In America unless you have something organized then it's not practical. And because of that, you have to pay a lot of money. As a result, soccer's not as popular and a sport that should cost next to nothing where the only essential cost should be the ball is probably the most expensive sport to play sans maybe ice hockey.

It's the craziest thing in the world. And all they do is teach you the basics 4-4-2 and "general drills" while emphasizing how it's more important to be fit and make you run 2 miles before the game. So you're exhausted but hey, you should be full of energy without even learning the essentials of proper passing and understanding positional situations.

That's U.S. soccer in a nutshell.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Enugu II wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:I thought only Nigeria, I mean Africa does such.

This has been discussed on CE if someone can find it. There was a suggestion, I believe by Solowe, that Nigeria set up a fee to players seeking to play. The essence is (1) players are presumed to be doing this already which indicates willingness and ability to pay, and (2) that instead of the funds going to individual pockets the funds go into helping the NFF operate its programs. This certainly has been discussed.
So someone actually thought that it could work in Nigeria and the funds will go back into the right channels,ok
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

kudi still blame Bowie State University for why my illustrious soccer career never took off.. :evil: Ba kudi for boots, ba kudi uid for jerseys,ba d for balls and training equipment, ba discount on tuition( intl student for that matter)...and worst of it all..ba cheerleaders for when we try practice sef.. :twisted: so we said eph it and continued pulling gburu :mad:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Pay to play is bad but the US has many other problems.

College soccer for one is terrible at preparing players for the real game.
Why does the US not have good Olympic teams?

Why is the women's team successful but not the men's?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Kabalega wrote:Pay to play is bad but the US has many other problems.

The physical strength and conditioning that US coaches love to emphasize makes a much bigger difference in the women's game than skill. Recently, other countries have learned that lesson and the US is no longer as dominant.

Wha choo looking at?!
ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

Because in America women tend to gravitate to towards two sports: soccer and basketball.

In America the order is: Football, basketball, baseball, hockey THEN soccer.

Furthermore, the men's game is totally different from the women's game. Men and women play soccer completely differently and the skill cap is not even close.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

ElHadary wrote:

Because in America women tend to gravitate to towards two sports: soccer and basketball.

Furthermore, the men's game is totally different from the women's game. Men and women play soccer completely differently and the skill cap is not even close.
More kids play soccer than hockey. It's always been that way.
What is so different about the women's game that leads to US women excelling more than the men?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Pay to play? It is capitalism. Welcome to the United States of America. That's the way things are done in this country.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

pay to play massive hindrance and then you have cancer of nepotism.

Even when parents find a way to pay exorbitant prices and you have players with genuine talent time and again you have parents of other kids who are coaches who selfishly force their average kid into their kids favored positions i.e CF and CM. Whilst many of the more truly gifted kids are exiled out of spite into positions such as GK.

Inevitably either the parents get frustrated and decide they're not going to pay top $$ and deal with systemic nepotism or the poor kid loses interest and quits organized soccer all together.
Last edited by Tunisian Gooner on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

paj wrote:kudi still blame Bowie State University for why my illustrious soccer career never took off.. :evil: Ba kudi for boots, ba kudi uid for jerseys,ba d for balls and training equipment, ba discount on tuition( intl student for that matter)...and worst of it all..ba cheerleaders for when we try practice sef.. :twisted: so we said eph it and continued pulling gburu :mad:
:boo:
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

Kabalega wrote:
ElHadary wrote:

More kids play soccer than hockey. It's always been that way.
What is so different about the women's game that leads to US women excelling more than the men?
Women's game seems to center more around physical ability rather than skill.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

I also think that pay to play has more insidious effects like stunting kids development by playing in age groups most of the time.
Only a few talented ones get to play with older players. Many are held back because coaches and parents prioritize winning over player's development.

Age grouping is a pervasive problem in the US. I think the educational system is to blame.

Kids rarely play for fun outside their organized soccer.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:pay to play massive hindrance and then you have cancer of nepotism.

Even when parents find a way to pay exorbitant prices and you have players with genuine talent time and again you have parents of other kids who are coaches who selfishly force their average kid into their kids favored positions i.e CF and CM. Whilst many of the more truly gifted kids are exiled out of spite into positions such as GK.

Inevitably either the parents get frustrated and decide they're not going to pay top $$ and deal with systemic nepotism or the poor kid loses interest and quits organized soccer all together.
Yea, you have to be supremely talented to not have to pay, but even then a parent with fatter pockets can still buy his kids way unto the team. I grew up in Maryland playing MSI and NCSL and imagine asking an African parent to pay $2-3000 for their kid to be on a team, parents were like hell naw! But I got by on certain teams because one coach was my neighbor and took interest in training and helping me develop. I didn't get so far because my parents pushed school more, but at least I can hang my hat on the fact that I'm 100 times the player Pa J is, even with his incessant kicking and rough play, nonsense guy :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

bamenda boy wrote:
paj wrote:kudi still blame Bowie State University for why my illustrious soccer career never took off.. :evil: Ba kudi for boots, ba kudi uid for jerseys,ba kudi for balls and training equipment, ba discount on tuition( intl student for that matter)...and worst of it all..ba cheerleaders for when we try practice sef.. :twisted: so we said eph it and continued pulling gburu :mad:
:boo:
fixed...any questions? :evil:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

As a parent and as a u10 coach I'm not surprised at what's happened to IS soccer . It's basically a Good Ol Boys country club system.

To get proper training at an elite club it's either btw $4-$10k and this doesn't include travel and hotel expenses for practice and tournaments .... it's a failed and flawed system and it's no surprise at the results they are getting ..., as for me and my house we sabi wetin we go do
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
gurrano
Egg
Egg

Post by gurrano »

This is a US/Canada issue.. I have always argued that the system was an impediment to getting the best talents involved in some sports in these countries.. I have a naija friend who has 2 boys playing travel soccer and I constantly praise him for his ability to keep up with the demands of their schedule. Some days he is travelling to Detroit for one sons game while his wife is heading to somewhere in Ohio for the other kids game. factor in that some of these games occur on working days which means they have to take time off work the also add travel cost, hotel stay etc.. and the total cost of getting involved becomes unsustainable for most working class folks like me.
anikulapo wrote:As a parent and as a u10 coach I'm not surprised at what's happened to IS soccer . It's basically a Good Ol Boys country club system.

To get proper training at an elite club it's either btw $4-$10k and this doesn't include travel and hotel expenses for practice and tournaments .... it's a failed and flawed system and it's no surprise at the results they are getting ..., as for me and my house we sabi wetin we go do
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

There is a very well written and elaborate article in the guardian that analyzes the root cause of what they call American Soccer's diversity problem:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... d-football

I suggest you guys read it. It seems they took a model used in other suburban sports (American Football, Baseball and Hockey) and tried to apply it to soccer, and clearly its failing because it creates a diversity issue where the sport is only accessible to those that can afford to pay to play.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Why are kids playing so many tournament games anyway?
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

gurrano wrote:This is a US/Canada issue.. I have always argued that the system was an impediment to getting the best talents involved in some sports in these countries.. I have a naija friend who has 2 boys playing travel soccer and I constantly praise him for his ability to keep up with the demands of their schedule. Some days he is travelling to Detroit for one sons game while his wife is heading to somewhere in Ohio for the other kids game. factor in that some of these games occur on working days which means they have to take time off work the also add travel cost, hotel stay etc.. and the total cost of getting involved becomes unsustainable for most working class folks like me.
anikulapo wrote:As a parent and as a u10 coach I'm not surprised at what's happened to IS soccer . It's basically a Good Ol Boys country club system.

It's ridiculous ... but it's also self destructive .... and it's no surprise that both countries are going nowhere in football .... smh
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.