Is this the best possible 11 Nigeria can field in a game

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Is this the best possible 11 Nigeria can field in a game

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

******************************************Onyekuru***************************************

******************Iheanacho*********************************Moses**********************

********************************************Nwakali****************************************

**************************Mikel***************************Ndidi****************************

***Idowu*******************Balogun*******************Ekong*********************Aina***

*********************************************Ezenwa*****************************************

At this point in time I would pick Ikechukwu Ezenwa over my good pal Vincent Enyeama as Vince is injured and clubless for now. he will be mach rusty. Unless he moves in the January transfer window and starts seeing regular action, I do not see how he will be fit for the Russian party.

Up top, I would want to see Onyekuru, Osimhen, Kayode, Ighalo, Ideye all tried out at length and the best two picked. For me, that position remains wide open for now.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Is this the best possible 11 Nigeria can field in a game

Post by Sir V »

Ayo, at this point in time Ola is not better than Shehu Abdullahi.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

okay is Aina a left full back or a right? cause it's better we stick the kid to one role...RB slot is for Shehu, Ebuehi,and Nura.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Sir V wrote:Ayo, at this point in time Ola is not better than Shehu Abdullahi.

I am not fully sold on Shehu Abdullahi. Yes, he had a great game against Zambia but is he good enough for the World Cup? To play at the highest level, you need a galloping full back who can defend, whip crosses in all day and provide you with that width out on the flanks.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:******************************************Onyekuru***************************************

******************Iheanacho*********************************Moses**********************

********************************************Nwakali****************************************

**************************Mikel***************************Ndidi****************************

***Idowu*******************Balogun*******************Ekong*********************Aina***

*********************************************Ezenwa*****************************************

At this point in time I would pick Ikechukwu Ezenwa over my good pal Vincent Enyeama as Vince is injured and clubless for now. he will be mach rusty. Unless he moves in the January transfer window and starts seeing regular action, I do not see how he will be fit for the Russian party.

Up top, I would want to see Onyekuru, Osimhen, Kayode, Ighalo, Ideye all tried out at length and the best two picked. For me, that position remains wide open for now.
Uncle Ayo, Mikel does not play DM for Naija. First error.
Second error, Onyekuru you have never seen play neither have you seen him play with the Eagles to think he can fit in properly. You forget the excellent hold up play from Ighalo... unless you are assuming we will stop pumping the ball forward (not possible with Ekong on your starting 11). What happened to your love of a target man?
Third, Shehu deserves to retain his spot.
Based on the last couple of games, so does Onazi (I am not a huge fan but I can acknowledge he does bring bite to our midfield... just wish he cuts down on the turnovers).
On Ekong, I am not convinced yet with his ball distribution from the back especially against teams who can tire you out if you keep giving them back the ball. I will like to see some serious competition from someone else.

Aside from these few comments, what I like is the depth... for a change, when we make subs there's actually some quality coming in. Although we are still to find someone who has the calming influence and leadership Mikel has on the pitch... I will keep a keen eye on Iwobi to see if he has worked on his turnover rate and ball retention.

We should look taking another look at Azubuike Okechukwu (has the same work rate as Onazi but with better ball distribution and retention skills) and Kelechi Nwakali in the midfield.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Cellular wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:******************************************Onyekuru***************************************

Second error, Onyekuru you have never seen play neither have you seen him play with the Eagles to think he can fit in properly. You forget the excellent hold up play from Ighalo... unless you are assuming we will stop pumping the ball forward (not possible with Ekong on your starting 11). What happened to your love of a target man?
Based on the last couple of games, so does Onazi (I am not a huge fan but I can acknowledge he does bring bite to our midfield... just wish he cuts down on the turnovers).
On Ekong, I am not convinced yet with his ball distribution from the back especially against teams who can tire you out if you keep giving them back the ball. I will like to see some serious competition from someone else.

Aside from these few comments, what I like is the depth... for a change, when we make subs there's actually some quality coming in. Although we are still to find someone who has the calming influence and leadership Mikel has on the pitch... I will keep a keen eye on Iwobi to see if he has worked on his turnover rate and ball retention.

We should look taking another look at Azubuike Okechukwu (has the same work rate as Onazi but with better ball distribution and retention skills) and Kelechi Nwakali in the midfield.
Been saying this for months now. Abdul Ajagun is / should be Mikel's replacement. Imgaine the Zammbia game scenario with Onazi injured, we push Mikel to DM and have Ajagun play the AM instead of Mikel Agu (not convinced). Ajagun has been playing and scoring as AM the past 3 seasons. I wrote about him and his statistics especially the amount of playing time. This season, new club and more of the same consistent performance already scored and had at least one assist.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Rohr needs:

Good DM
Physical Central Striker
Lb and RB
Komani
Egg
Egg

Post by Komani »

A fit Joel Obi is a much better option than Nwakali. Why play Nacho out wide? Iwobi and Aluko are much better bets. I'd like Onyekuru to make the world cup squad, however I don't think he'll start. Better finisher than Ighalo from the little I've seen. Barring a dramatic loss of form, Shehu is our first choice RB.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Comedy line up.
If Nwakali, Onyekuru or Idowu start a WC game I’ll eat my shorts. Even making the final 22 would require spectacular seasons from them. There is certainly no case for them being part of our best 11. Funny though.
Kayode, Abraham and Iheanacho will probably fight Ighalo for the striker’s spot. This WC will be too soon for Osimen
Aina, Shehu and Echiejile will probably between them lock down the full back positions.
It’s actualky at centre half that are options need exploring. Ekong’s poor ball skills leave his place vulnerable. If Awaziem continues to develop, he’ll get a look in.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Onyekuru has been called and dropped. Rohr must have his reasons for that. If the headless chicken Stanley Amuzie has improved, Rohr may call him to shadow Echejiele at LB. Amuzie is strong and packs a shot. His only problem is he dozes off when the back 4 are keeping a straight line and therefore keeps rampaging opposition attackers onside. Also, given that Rohr is gearing Mikel Agu to replace JMO, Rohr should also consider Azubuike Okechukwu. He was amazing at U20 and at the Olympics. We also need to see Anthony Nwakaeme. He is the kind of striker that given his opportunity, he may turn out to be indispensable. I like his hustle and he scores goals for fun too.
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

waka-man wrote:Comedy line up.
If Nwakali, Onyekuru or Idowu start a WC game I’ll eat my shorts. Even making the final 22 would require spectacular seasons from them. There is certainly no case for them being part of our best 11. Funny though.
Kayode, Abraham and Iheanacho will probably fight Ighalo for the striker’s spot. This WC will be too soon for Osimen
Aina, Shehu and Echiejile will probably between them lock down the full back positions.
It’s actualky at centre half that are options need exploring. Ekong’s poor ball skills leave his place vulnerable. If Awaziem continues to develop, he’ll get a look in.
Ayo's lineup is indeed comical.
Onyekuru is a left winger and would be a waste upfront.
Furthermore Nwakali, Onyekuru, Idowu and Aina are totally unproven on international level.
Our best 11 is not made of the 11 best individuals but of a team that played together over a longer period.
That's why on most positions I would go with the established forces.
Here and there exceptional players will find their way in our WC squad in positions we still lack quality.

I wouldn't rule Osimhen out just yet.
He is on the verge of getting valuable minutes in the Bundesliga regulary.
His new coach likes him and praises his training performance and dedication.
I can't see why he should't at least make the WC squad if he continues his development in the next coming months.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

icee wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Been saying this for months now. Abdul Ajagun is / should be Mikel's replacement. Imgaine the Zammbia game scenario with Onazi injured, we push Mikel to DM and have Ajagun play the AM instead of Mikel Agu (not convinced). Ajagun has been playing and scoring as AM the past 3 seasons. I wrote about him and his statistics especially the amount of playing time. This season, new club and more of the same consistent performance already scored and had at least one assist.

i agree Ajagun is better than mikel agu. i also believe we need nwakali.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Bros...Isnt Fantasy Football limited to just clubsides? :blink:
Pa
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Ayo, please try to keep sentiments out of SE selection.
Aina strolled on the field once and you believe he will do better than Shehu?
Onyekuru is talented, but just like Success is a ball huger and can't make quick decisions
on passing the ball. The younger Nwakali is for the future, as he is not mature enough. I
would not mind him going to Russia for the experience though.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Ayo, must you subject us to this everytime Nigeria qualifies for something? For goodness sake, go and apply for the job and just on with it. Is your name Ayo Onigbinde ?

You basically play newbies and others out of position and you think you have a team? Do you even know what a team means?
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Sir V wrote:Ayo, at this point in time Ola is not better than Shehu Abdullahi.

I am not fully sold on Shehu Abdullahi. .
yet you are sold on aina who has played 10 minutes for nigeria?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

----------------------------------Ighalo---------------------------------------------

--------Moses---------------------Mikel---------------------Iwobi---------------

-------------------------Ndidi---------------Onazi----------------------

-------Elderson or Aina--------Balogun-----------Ekong---------Shehu or Nura

------------------------------------------Enyeama-----------------------------------

Super Subs
Iheanacho
Simon Moses
Ahmed Musa
Etebo

The world cup is not a youth tournament. It is a senior tournament. Nwakili have no place in Russia. He should go to the U20 or U23 team.
Last edited by ohenhen1 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

pajimoh wrote:Ayo, must you subject us to this everytime Nigeria qualifies for something? For goodness sake, go and apply for the job and just on with it. Is your name Ayo Onigbinde ?

You basically play newbies and others out of position and you think you have a team? Do you even know what a team means?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

kali wrote:Rohr needs:

Good DM
Physical Central Striker
Lb and RB

We don't need a big physical central striker to play our system. We are not west ham or Stoke.

Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Iheanacho is not a winger.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I am not perturbed by all that banter as Rohr knows what he is doing. I am sure he will be the first to admit that many of the players who prosecuted the qualifiers are not good enough for the World Cup proper.

In 1994, Clemence Westerhoff dropped many of the veterans who secured qualification. This included the likes of:

Nduka Ugbade
Isaac Semitoje
Friday Ekpo
John Okon
Friday Elahor

He replaced them with fresh youngsters who were unknown but were better. Rohr will do the same thing this time around.

In 1993, the likes of Sunday Oliseh, Austin Okocha, Emmanuel Ammunike, etc were unknown quantities but they all made the squad and we're phenomenal. The likes of Rufai, Emenalor and Nwanu were also all recalled.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:I am not perturbed by all that banter as Rohr knows what he is doing. I am sure he will be the first to admit that many of the players who prosecuted the qualifiers are not good enough for the World Cup proper.

In 1994, Clemence Westerhoff dropped many of the veterans who secured qualification. This included the likes of:

Nduka Ugbade
Isaac Semitoje
Friday Ekpo
John Okon
Friday Elahor

He replaced them with fresh youngsters who were unknown but were better. Rohr will do the same thing this time around.

In 1993, the likes of Sunday Oliseh, Austin Okocha, Emmanuel Ammunike, etc were unknown quantities but they all made the squad and we're phenomenal. The likes of Rufai, Emenalor and Nwanu were also all recalled.
All the players you listed had featured for Nigeria before 1993 and were part of the qualifiers. They were also key members of the 1994 ANC title squad with the exception of Okocha. Nwakili has yet to get his first cap for Nigeria.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Thankfully, all signs seem to suggest that Rohr has more coaching acumen in his pinkie finger than Clemence Westerhoff has in his entire brain.

Ps. Amunike, Okocha and Oliseh all played in qualifiers or nations cup before the world cup. There is no way on earth that barring injury, Rohr is making wholesale changes to the group of players he has been working with. Just not going to happen.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16