The Excellent Coach Has Resigned From USMNT.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
The Excellent Coach Has Resigned From USMNT.

Post by Kabalega »

Bruce Arena is out as U.S. soccer coach
By Steven Goff October 13 at 10:30 AM

Bruce Arena (Mike Lawrie/Getty Images)
Bruce Arena on Friday resigned as coach of the U.S. men’s national soccer team, three days after the American squad suffered a stunning defeat at Trinidad and Tobago and failed to qualify for the World Cup for the first time since 1986.

“No excuses,” Arena said in a statement issued by the U.S. Soccer Federation. “We didn’t get the job done, and I accept responsibility.”

The Hall of Fame coach, who had guided the program to the 2002 and ’06 World Cups, was summoned last winter to rescue a 2018 qualifying campaign that had gone awry under Jurgen Klinsmann. He restored stability, steering the team back into contention, but couldn’t finish the job.

The Americans needed only a draw in the last match to secure the final automatic berth from the CONCACAF region, but fell behind by two goals in the first half to the worst team in the six-nation competition and lost, 2-1. Coupled with two other results in group play, the United States finished fifth and also missed out on a playoff berth against Australia.

“When I took the job last November, I knew there was a great challenge ahead, probably more than most people could appreciate,” Arena said. “Everyone involved in the program gave everything they had for the last 11 months, and in the end we came up short.”

[In interview: Arena said World Cup failure is ‘all on us’]

The United States had been among seven countries to participate in every World Cup since 1990.

Sports Daily newsletter
Sports news with a focus on D.C. area teams.
“This certainly is a major setback for the program, and questions rightly should be asked about how we can improve,” Arena said. “No doubt this process already has started and will continue so that U.S. Soccer can progress. Having said that, it also is important to recognize the tremendous growth and accomplishments we have achieved over the past two decades in all areas, including player development, coaching education and a stable domestic professional league. That work is ongoing, and despite the result in Trinidad, the sport is on the right path.”

USSF President Sunil Gulati has scheduled a conference call with reporters late Friday morning to discuss Arena’s departure and the state of the program in the wake of its worst setback in history. It’s unclear at the moment who will replace Arena. Most likely, the federation will appoint an interim coach for two proposed friendlies next month while beginning a broader search for a long-term replacement.

Arena, 66, is the most successful coach in U.S. men’s history with an 81-32-25 record, including 10-2-6 this year. His 2002 squad advanced deeper in the World Cup (the quarterfinals) than any American side since 1930, and this summer, he won the CONCACAF Gold Cup for the third time.

Arena has also won five MLS Cup trophies (two with D.C. United and three with the Los Angeles Galaxy).

“While this is a difficult moment, I maintain a fierce belief that we are heading in the right direction,” he said. “I believe in the American player and the American coach, and with our combined efforts the future remains bright. I don’t know what the future holds for me, but I can say this from the bottom of my heart: from the high of reaching the quarterfinal of the 2002 World Cup to the low of a few days ago, I have appreciated every minute of being a part of this program.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soc ... a8ceaa0ec1
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Excellent Coach Has Resigned From USMNT.

Post by maceo4 »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

his contract was up, stop being a follower. :)
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...he has no choice, next 4 years is too long to thinker again.
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

call klinsmann Bačk, their only hope. Tired of winning gold cups ( his expertise)..
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....