Final 23 if the World Cup was to start today (My Opinion)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Final 23 if the World Cup was to start today (My Opinion)

Post by truetalk »

Based on Rohr's recent statement, I believe we can list about 15 outfield players that are almost certainly on the plane to Russia.

These are:

Defenders:

Awaziem, Ekong, Balogun, Ebuehi, Aina

Midfielders:

Mikel, Ndidi, Onazi, Ogu, Etebo

Forwards:

VicMo, Iwobi, Simon, Nacho, Ighalo*

I think we can draw up a list of about 7 from which at least 3 of the other outfield players will come.

Idowu, Shehu, Omeruo, Agu, Musa, Onyekuru, Nwaekeme or another big striker like Dessers or Ideye.

2 undeserving players might force their way in. Rohr seems to have his sentiments towards Akpeyi (there is talk of getting a psychologist for him), and maybe Warri boys have promised to deal with Pinnick if Echiejile is not on the list, because he is a head scratcher. I believe we may also see one or two of the German outfield boys switch and make the squad.

For Goalkeepers. It is what it is. and I have written a bit on that. I think we wasted time on the likes on the likes of Akpeyi and Alampasu while better keepers did not get a look in, and I said this even when the 3 keepers in camp were those 2 and Ezenwa. Now, the NFF is rushing to get a passport for a youth keeper, who is not even with his senior team yet .

Like I've said, have Ezenwa, Uzoho, Nwlokor, Maduka, Thomas (if he plays consistently for Rangers) and Vince if willing and select the best 2 or 3 based on Ikeme's availability. Not making any calls here yet.
Last edited by truetalk on Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
marutimon
Egg
Egg
Re: Final 23 if the World Cup was to start today (My Opinion

Post by marutimon »

Forget Abraham. He isn't good enough and isn't interested. Besides he takes up a slot of real talent like Bonaventure, Onyekuru, Olyainka, Sadiq, Muazam or Onuachu.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

How can anyone select Amuzie over Echiejile? This is a serious error.

I will replace Tammy with Ideye.

Joel Obi is too fragile. Too many injuries and won't last a tournament before picking up an injury. The Mikel Agu guy that you left out is not that bad and will grow in a tournament.

I am not in support of Enyeama returning.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Enyeama, Ezenwa,Akpeyi, Shehu, Elderson, Aina, Ekong, Balogun, Omeruo, Awaziem, Onazi, Mikel, Ndidi, Etebo, Ogu, Agu, Ighalo, V Moses, Iwobi, S Moses, Iheanacho, A Musa, Onyekuru, Ideye Brown

I support the return of Enyeama. He is Nigeria best goalkeeper right now.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Lolly wrote:How can anyone select Amuzie over Echiejile? This is a serious error.

I will replace Tammy with Ideye.

Joel Obi is too fragile. Too many injuries and won't last a tournament before picking up an injury. The Mikel Agu guy that you left out is not that bad and will grow in a tournament.

I am not in support of Enyeama returning
Thank you! :agree: :agree: :clap: :clap:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

ohenhen1 wrote:Enyeama, Ezenwa,Akpeyi, Shehu, Elderson, Aina, Ekong, Balogun, Omeruo, Awaziem, Onazi, Mikel, Ndidi, Etebo, Ogu, Agu, Ighalo, V Moses, Iwobi, S Moses, Iheanacho, A Musa, Onyekuru, Ideye Brown

Really, right now? How is that? The man has no club and hasn't played any game lately
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

marutimon wrote:Forget Abraham. He isn't good enough and isn't interested. Besides he takes up a slot of real talent like Bonaventure, Onyekuru, Olyainka, Sadiq, Muazam or Onuachu.
Ideye and Ambrose have been two of my favorite SE players over the last decade, & I believe Ideye especially got a raw deal from some SE coaches (being left out of the Brazil WC team for instance). However, you have to question his motivation, and he has a lot of off the field distractions (it would be unfair to bring it up here, but I think it is all over facebook). I think the emergence of Abraham (if it happens) puts paid to his SE career though. He does a lot of what Ideye does, and he is playing at a higher level at the moment. I honestly believe Abraham is the better option for the SE at this point and going forward. See the EPL game against Southampton for instance (they were the weaker side away). Abraham did not score, but this was a showcase of what he brings to the table.

[/video]

Here is the game where he got a goal and stole one from the Breda.

[/video]

Efe Ambrose is another SE player I really like, but I also think the emergence of Ola Aina, who can play across the back 4 and especially both full back positions will make it really difficult for Ambrose to make it back to the SE World Cup team.
Last edited by truetalk on Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

truetalk wrote:To be updated monthly

Goalkeepers:
Ezenwa
Thomas
Nwolokor

Defenders
Shehu
Amuzie
Balogun
Ekong
Awaziem
Aina
Uduokhai
Omeruo

Midfielders
Mikel
Ndidi
Ogu
Joel Obi
Etebo
Onazi

Forwards
Victor Moses
Alex Iwobi
Moses Simon
Jude Ighalo
Tammy Abraham
Nacho

Reserves
Dessers
Bonaventure
Onyekuru
Musa
Esiti
Tomori
Enyeama
Add Olayinka and Azubuike
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

ohenhen1 wrote:Enyeama, Ezenwa,Akpeyi, Shehu, Elderson, Aina, Ekong, Balogun, Omeruo, Awaziem, Onazi, Mikel, Ndidi, Etebo, Ogu, Agu, Ighalo, V Moses, Iwobi, S Moses, Iheanacho, A Musa, Onyekuru, Ideye Brown

Right now? From Injury right?
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Abraham at best is an U23 player.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

wale1974 wrote:

Right now? From Injury right?
He should be back in time for the World cup. Ezenwa is not the answer. He has bad technique. Daniel Akpeyi is actually better than Ezenwa. The problem with Akpeyi is he currently not playing regularly for his club and he is coming back from injury.

osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

Ajagun and Paul onaucha should be replaced by Tammy and mikel agu.

Omeruo should be replaced with a midfielder of esisi
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Don't waste your time on this thread, when the time comes, I will tell you our final 23, give or take no more than 2 players!

Cmoke
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

World Cup is not for inexperienced players. A few sprinklings of talented youth. No coach that has done well has done so with a young or inexperienced team. Unless we are going to Russia for vodka drinking.
doctorollie
Egg
Egg

Post by doctorollie »

Add Frank Uzoho to that list! Goalkeeper at Deportivo, played 90mins vs Eibar in the Spanish Liga and distinguished self
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Cmoke wrote:Don't waste your time on this thread, when the time comes, I will tell you our final 23, give or take no more than 2 players!

Cmoke
This is how an AJ night school background will embarrass you, no matter how polished you become.

This is an analytic thread of who should be there, not a predictive thread of who would be there.

If I want to play that game, I can get that list 48 hours before you.
Last edited by truetalk on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

doctorollie wrote:Add Frank Uzoho to that list! Goalkeeper at Deportivo, played 90mins vs Eibar in the Spanish Liga and distinguished self
You beat me to it
yes o
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Updating based on Rohr recent statement (3 or 4 new players at the most)
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Updated

GK
Enyeama
Uzoho
Ezenwa

Defenders
Idowu
Aina
Shehu
Balogun
Ekong
Awaziem
Omeruo // still need to work on getting Udokhai to play for Nigeria

Midfielders
Obi
Onazi
Ndidi
Etebo
Ogu
Mikel Agu or Nwakili

Forwards
Ighalo
Victor Moses
Alex Iwobi
Kelechi Iheanacho
Onyekuru
Simon Moses
Victor Osimhen

niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Ujah has just moved back to Germany from China. Six goals in the next 20 matches will get him on the plane to Russia ahead of Ighalo. That's the only surprise I see happening
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

wale1974 wrote:
truetalk wrote:To be updated monthly

Goalkeepers:
Ezenwa
Thomas
Nwolokor

Defenders
Shehu
Amuzie
Balogun
Ekong
Awaziem
Aina
Uduokhai
Omeruo

Midfielders
Mikel
Ndidi
Ogu
Joel Obi
Etebo
Onazi

Forwards
Victor Moses
Alex Iwobi
Moses Simon
Jude Ighalo
Tammy Abraham
Nacho

Reserves
Dessers
Bonaventure
Onyekuru
Musa
Esiti
Tomori
Enyeama
Add Olayinka and Azubuike

Only in Nigeria, the top scorer in Belgium is on the reserve list, and an attacker not in the top 5 scorers list in Belguim makes the first 23.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Anyone making a list without including Elderson is just giving us their idea of their own list, not Rohr's. Rohr values experience. The only way Elderson isn't on that plane to Russia is because injury or lack of fitness. It is amazing that folks miss that simple fact. And I am not even a Elderson's fan.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

highbury wrote:Anyone making a list without including Elderson is just giving us their idea of their own list, not Rohr's. Rohr values experience. The only way Elderson isn't on that plane to Russia is because injury or lack of fitness. It is amazing that folks miss that simple fact. And I am not even a Elderson's fan.
Leave them jare.
OCCUPY NFF!!