Had a chat with Patrick yesterday on whatsapp

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Had a chat with Patrick yesterday on whatsapp

Post by Tobi17 »

and he revealed to me that he had sources from his inside caucus(a top NFF official and friend to him) that the mysterious German defender Rohr mentioned in his interview on Lagos fm about calling up is actually Jordan Torunarigha, not a wild speculation but a very reliable info, he further revealed to me that discussions with Jordan have reached a progressive stage; and it's more than likely the young lad will agree to play for Nigeria...and the U20 English born Nigerian player also mentioned about been capped is Josh Onoma...Tammy Abraham has still not decided so it's not far fetched to conclude Rohr isn't worrying his head over him either.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Had a chat with Patrick yesterday on whatsapp

Post by Sir V »

Is Jordan a good player?
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

I rate Josh Onomah - I think he was England's best player at that youth tournament they won in the summer - good passing and mobile. Not sure whether he'll be able to break into the World Cup squad but he's certainly for the longer term.

Of the three Naija-German defenders - Jordan Torunarigha, Felix Uduokhai and Kevin Akpoguma - Uduokhai is the one that interests me most - though all three are very promising.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

The YeyeMan wrote:I rate Josh Onomah - I think he was England's best player at that youth tournament they won in the summer - good passing and mobile. Not sure whether he'll be able to break into the World Cup squad but he's certainly for the longer term.

Of the three Naija-German defenders - Jordan Torunarigha, Felix Uduokhai and Kevin Akpoguma - Uduokhai is the one that interests me most - though all three are very promising.

Jordan Torunarigha plays at leftback for Hertha Berlin, although of late, Marvin Plattenhardt has been keeping him on the bench. Felix Uduokhai, however, who plays as a centreback with Wofsburg, is someone who can walk straight into our team. Just imagine him and Balogun at the heart of our defence.

If Rohr gets all the players he wants, we may have a predominantly Die Bundeliga defence come the world Cup. Who knows, Shehu and Enyeama might even move to Germany in January, giving us an all Die Bundesliga backline.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

I'm all for us poaching defenders.
We need good alternatives to injury prone Balogun. Awaziem doesnt convince me
Also -and this is stating the obvious -we need to find at least two capable left backs.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

I don't like the extent of poaching for foreign born players. We have a 19 year old defender starting in France, but instead we want to search Germna-born players, because we trust them more than our own. And we end up not giving the chance or home-born players deserve.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

It's Uduokhai not Torunarigha.
I am happy
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Dammy wrote:It's Uduokhai not Torunarigha.
Well, I hope you and Pato are right! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Shehu ---- Balogun --- Udokhai ---Tourinarigha

Aina ----- Ekong ----- Awaziem --[Perhaps another CB, since Udokhai and Aina can deputize as LB]

Depth has to be our priority going into the world cup.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

marutimon wrote:I don't like the extent of poaching for foreign born players. We have a 19 year old defender starting in France, but instead we want to search Germna-born players, because we trust them more than our own. And we end up not giving the chance or home-born players deserve.
We are overdoing it. There is an acceptable limit, but we are crossing that limit.

We crossed that limit 10 fold in the Basketball team, but I thought...perhaps that could rekindle some interest in Basketball. But in football, our national sport? haba!

No more players who weren't nurtured in Naija abeg, at least for the next 2 years or so. E don do.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

marutimon wrote:I don't like the extent of poaching for foreign born players. We have a 19 year old defender starting in France, but instead we want to search Germna-born players, because we trust them more than our own. And we end up not giving the chance or home-born players deserve.
It's not going to change anytime soon,I know a lot of Nigerians are comfortable with it as I've been shot down for asking in the past.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

Please can you ask Patrick, to come back. Sunset as well...
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Tbite wrote:
We are overdoing it. There is an acceptable limit, but we are crossing that limit.

We crossed that limit 10 fold in the Basketball team, but I thought...perhaps that could rekindle some interest in Basketball. But in football, our national sport? haba!

No more players who weren't nurtured in Naija abeg, at least for the next 2 years or so. E don do.
Very short-sighted and disadvantageous. So if a player like David Alaba was uncovered in the next two years you think Nigeria should make no attempt to call him up and risk the possibility of him playing for another country simply because he wasn't "nurtured" in Nigeria?

When it come to talent and having a deep squad it's never a case of "e don do".
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Tbite wrote:

Very short-sighted and disadvantageous. So if a player like David Alaba was uncovered in the next two years you think Nigeria should make no attempt to call him up and risk the possibility of him playing for another country simply because he wasn't "nurtured" in Nigeria?

The more the merrier. It is better to have a very good squad depth. Besides I am biased about this. My son was born in the UK but I would be proud to see him represent Nigeria.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Tbite wrote:

Did France overdo it or cross the limit when they won the WC in 98 and Euro in 2000? Guys with clearly Naija names are given a choice to play for the country of at least a parent of theirs, you are yarning dust.

It's okay for other countries to win laurels with sons and daughters who have Naija blood in them, claiming them to be their citizens but peradventure these youngsters are mired in some misdeeds, these countries can disown them and call them Nigerian, right?

Btw these guys playing for Naija and you having Aussie citizenship, who has more rights? If anyone crossed the limits, it's got to be you.
Last edited by anointed on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Aren't they Nigerians? Shouldn't they have an equal chance to feature for their country of origin? Are they less Nigerian because they were born on foreign soil? The GWG should be the preserve of our best players whether they be black,brown, yellow or blue.. How many white players play for France?? This is one way to raise standards.
Sheikh
Egg
Egg

Post by Sheikh »

Mr Shows wrote:
Aren't they Nigerians? Shouldn't they have an equal chance to feature for their country of origin? Are they less Nigerian because they were born on foreign soil? The GWG should be the preserve of our best players whether they be black,brown, yellow or blue.. How many white players play for France?? This is one way to raise standards.
I am all for getting the very best wherever they may be, so long as they are Nigerians. It is important that we do all we can to put out our very best forward. We deserve to do so. My only gripe is the way average players groomed in the UK seem to be overrated, or valued higher than our home groomed players (even those playing in European leagues) who are much better than them. Please lets not lose sight of that distinction. If the standards in the UK were as high as we delude ourselves to believe, then why has England not been anywhere close to winning the World Cup or the European cup in the last half century? We should not expend our limited time and resources hustling after Ejaria, Ojo, Onomah, Tomori, Lookman etc to change their preference (they prefer England) or even Jordan (which is Germany) as they are no better than the likes of Nwakali, Azubuike, Joel Obi, Ajagun, Nura Abdullahi etc. I'll even say the same of Tammy, as I am NOT convinced he is all that, especially as his heart seems to be with England. These guys seem to only look the way of Nigeria after we have qualified, and it becomes clear they are not the cards of England or Germany. The only player I think is worth going out of our way to convince is Uduokhai.
ogiso
Egg
Egg

Post by ogiso »

A worrisome trend. What is the pathway for home-based talents? Foreign is not always best.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

ogiso wrote:A worrisome trend. What is the pathway for home-based talents? Foreign is not always best.
Same as it's always been.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Tbite wrote:

But Nigeria are not doing it based on quality,they just want British born players even non starters at their clubs have a better chance than a talented Nigerian born player!
If they where better than anything Nigeria has I doubt it they'll reach 19-21 without being capped for their country of birth and they'll definitely be starters at club level,unless Nigeria are actually scouting them at a young age and know exactly what they are looking for you'll get the likes of Shola Ameobi and the guy with the do-rag (any Sodje brother) taking squad spaces in the World Cup squad!
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Tbite wrote:

But Nigeria are not doing it based on quality,they just want British born players even non starters at their clubs have a better chance than a talented Nigerian born player!
You have examples to support this claim? How many British born players are playing ahead of Nigerian-born players? Which British born players aren't of the desired quality among those who have been approached?
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Tbite wrote:

If they where better than anything Nigeria has I doubt it they'll reach 19-21 without being capped for their country of birth and they'll definitely be starters at club level,unless Nigeria are actually scouting them at a young age a now exactly what they are looking for you'll get the likes of Shola Ameobi and the guy with the do-rag taking squad spaces in the World Cup squad!
The most important thing is that they have Nigerian heritage. We are not like Spain (Diego Costa), Italy (Eder), Portugal ( Pepe) and Germany (Asamoah, Dundee etc) among others who cap players who have no heritage.
I am happy
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Why shouldn't we recruit Nigerian aboard, they are far better than the home-based players. Home-base Nigerian footballer are desperate to leave the country.

BTW other countries are stealing our talents.

Sprint and jumps coach, John Obeya said Nigerian sports officials have themselves to blame for the exodus of Nigerian athletes to other countries. Benue-born Obeya, influenced the movement of talented Nigerian juniors to Bahrain, including Salwa Eid Naser who won a 400m silver for the Arab country in the star-studded women 400m event of the IAAF World Championships.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/08/don ... officials/
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Tbite wrote:

You have examples to support this claim? How many British born players are playing ahead of Nigerian-born players? Which British born players aren't of the desired quality among those who have been approached?
Did I not give examples such Shola Ameobi and Sodji these a factual players that went to World Cups for Nigeria but England where not making any waves!