Finally, we've found a top goalkeeper

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Finally, we've found a top goalkeeper

Post by Tbite »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Tbite wrote:And he is homegrown as well, phew.
I thought i was the only one that had issues with homegrown and foreign grown.
It matters oh! If you cannot develop homegrown players, what is the point of a national team, or to put it in other terms, what is the difference between a national side and a club-side? Heck, even some club sides or leagues have more stringent rules on homegrown players than some national sides. So in a way, club football is sometimes even more 'national' than national teams.

Should national teams not be renamed International teams? I do not have a problem with foreign nurtured players, but certainly EVERY single national side in the world should have at least 65-75% of its starting XI homegrown, and 80-90% of any given squad homegrown. I think the use of the word 'national team' is what has created the problem. The homegrown aspect is actually more important than the nationality! It means it is brand of football from that country and cultivated by that country.

but although you and I are both correct, yes we are strangely in the minority on CE.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Sir V wrote:
pajimoh wrote:Ezenwa, Akpereyi and Aji..... just fainted at this news

Is he the very tall goalkeeper that moved to Aspire in UAE?
:lol: :lol: They will all fight for the No1 Jersey.

See highlight of the match. The guy is good.

[/video]
He seems to be the focus of the video and the commentators
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
Gotti wrote:Uzoho is the GK in the back row...

DId these boys ever row taller? I see Nacho is still the same height :bump:
did you expect Nacho to grow any taller than his 6'2 frame?
I kept growing till i was 21. and i am taller than Nacho

does everyone keep growing until 21? I probably stopped growing @ 18-19. After that age, none of my trousers "feared ground".
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Being a starting goalie in La Liga is no joke. I wish him the very best
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

This is really good news. Hope Rohr gives him a chance. More importantly, hope the Enyeama pushers stop now and let the kids take the reigns. To play La Liga no be beans.
To stop trying is to start dying
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

His chances are short with a German coach!

Gotti wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Good development. Cautiously optimistic, as young GK's can be a few howlers away from loss of confidence, especially in the absence of a supportive system. Which U-17 tourney was he part of? Was he the reserve goalie?

what about the home-based goalie Truetalk is always talking about, that has never been invited to compete?
2013 set - with Iheanacho, Awoniyi, etc.
He was backup to Alampasu and the short GK.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cmoke wrote:His chances are short with a German coach!

Gotti wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Good development. Cautiously optimistic, as young GK's can be a few howlers away from loss of confidence, especially in the absence of a supportive system. Which U-17 tourney was he part of? Was he the reserve goalie?

what about the home-based goalie Truetalk is always talking about, that has never been invited to compete?
2013 set - with Iheanacho, Awoniyi, etc.
He was backup to Alampasu and the short GK.
I hope not, this is the future right here, he needs to be in contention for the WC.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Nothing very hard to defend, but he controlled the goals. He was overcompensating it a bit as if to exude confidence. But I especially liked the ease with which he defended the last deflected shot.

Also would be a nice change to get a massive GK for once...
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

chief nfachairman wrote:http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/15/ex ... -in-style/

Ozoho starts in the last liga

All media outlets gave him highest points for deportivo.
Good! What a beautiful development. I say call him nooooow, please! Let's see what is made of. If he is good and Cral makes it, then Carl remains our number one (or so) and he will be number two while Ezenwa shifts to number three. If Carl doesn't make it, then he is number one, Ezenwa number two and I, yes I (Odas :lol: :lol: ) number three :thumbs: :thumbs:
Last edited by Odas on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

... the "Femi Thomas" guy who Chief Truetalk spoke of? I think he should also be invited to camp and let's see what he got. Perhaps from the two young men, we will have a good keeper who will give Ezenwa a good competition. Either way, this is a very good news and - e dey sweet my belle well, well
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
Francis Udoho (GK) has La Liga Debut w/ Depor La Coruna

Post by Otitokoro »

Kept the full 90 vs Eibar today.
Clean Sheet for the former U17 Sub Keeper (2013 U17WC winner).

Makes things more interesting regarding potential options.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Francis Udoho (GK) has La Liga Debut w/ Depor La Coruna

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Watch as Enzenwa is dropped and rejected by the time this thread reaches 2 pages. Popcorn out........... :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Watch as Enzenwa is dropped and rejected by the time this thread reaches 2 pages. Popcorn out........... :laugh:
Done already and besides, there's a thread already

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=283664
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

pajimoh wrote:Ezenwa, Akpereyi and Aji..... just fainted at this news

Is he the very tall goalkeeper that moved to Aspire in UAE?
That's how we replace Moses Simon before every game yet he starts in every game.

Let him beat them out in camp first.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Gotti wrote:Uzoho is the GK in the back row...

DId these boys ever row taller? I see Nacho is still the same height :bump:
What about No. 16?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

chief nfachairman wrote:http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/15/ex ... -in-style/

Ozoho starts in the last liga

All media outlets gave him highest points for deportivo.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=282410&p=5077952&hi ... o#p5077952

I have written a lot on the GK position on this forum & wrote before the Bafana game that Ezenwa was the best option in camp. I believe there are better Nigerian keepers out there than all 3 we are parading, but Ezenwa has not done anything to hurt his cause. He has been adequate during the Nigerian All Stars tour of Spain and for the CHAN Eagles.

Akpeyi is putting up Agbim like stinkers for the national team, dropping crosses and all. Nwolokor and Uzoho are progressing better than Alampasu in Europe, so I see no reason for Alampasu's invitation at this point.

Ezenwa might not be the best keeper in the NPFL, and has not even been the main starter for FCIU this season, but he has done nothing to hurt his national team chances.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=1&p=5077879
The only thing I was worried about was the goalkeeping position. I don’t rate Akpeyi and I’m not holding out much hope for Alampasu, so by a process of elimination, I was hoping that Ezenwa would start. I could not understand the ‘big boy treatment’ Akpeyi was getting (he was not in France), short of release restrictions due to FIFA rules.

I am very happy he is back as he brings some stability and confidence to a position where we have been unlucky & also dropped the ball.

I however hope he will be in the team as insurance. I thought Ikeme had moved ahead of him even before the 2014 WC, but Keshi did not even invite Ikeme.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=282300&p=5074089&hi ... o#p5074089

I also hope a few of the solid prospects we have abroad and at home (Uzoho et al) can become credible contenders over the next few months. I think we are on the cusp of another Rufai, Enyeama or Casillas. Guys who are the real deal and are able to prove it around age 18 -23.

Good. We have been calling that he and a few others be tested for sometime, while others insisted we did not know what we were talking about saying Alampasu and Akpeyi had no business in a Super Eagles camp.

Here is my take on Alampasu

I’m not buying the Alampaasu hype. Good performances in the last 2 games of a schoolboy tournament is not a passport to the Nigerian national team. He was benched at the U-20 level by Enaholo, benched on the CHAN team by Agbim, benched on the watered down Eagles team by Ezenwa (who was benched by the bumbling Akpeyi on the main team. Akpeyi was benched by Daniel on the Olympic team). Different coaches have preferred this rather inauspicious collection of keepers to Alampasu over the last 2 years. Alampasu is in the only team in Europe owned by a Nigerian, who might feel he has a patriotic duty to help develop talent. He has barely played over the last season. I hope I’m wrong, but we should probably start looking elsewhere for the 3rd option.

The mainstays in the NPFL (Femi Thomas, Okiemute Odah, Sunday Rotimi) are past their prime. Suraj Ayeleso is getting some good press, so we should get to see him and Ezenwa in the CHAN qualifiers in August. Maybe some 18 or 19 year old in the NNL, NPFL or abroad (Maduka Okoye?) might emerge over the next 12 months, we’ll see.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=281098&p=5044593&hilit=alampasu#p5044593

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=281806&p=5061633&hi ... o#p5061633

Not to sound like I have an agenda, but I think at some point during the preparation of that U-17 team, Alampasu was actually 3rd choice. The 1st choice (who I thinks keeper of ABS now) got injured during the qualifiers & Uzoho was also in the mix at the time.

Alampasu actually had a poor tournament in the UAE (it was an outstanding team) & only seemed to settle a bit in the last 2 games. Given a 2nd opportunity, Manu started another keeper ahead of him at the U-20 level.

So, I see neither the outstanding youth talent nor the career progression to confidently declare that Alampasu is a useful option for the SE.

I call it as I see it. I declared Ikeme SE worthy even when he was out on loan at the Championship level because I had seem him a few times. It was deemed ridiculous on here at the time (over 5 years ago).

Report this post
Top Profile Send private message Edit post Reply with quote

bret- hart
Post subject: Re: Potential solution to keeper situationPostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:44 pm

trueyalk yes we have decent goalkeepers aside from Enyeama and Ikeme. The problem is no one is giving them an opportunity to compete. Look how long it took for Nigeria to invite Ikeme. I remember some forum members were against his invitation back in 2013 and claimed he was a basket. SMH.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Watch as Enzenwa is dropped and rejected by the time this thread reaches 2 pages. Popcorn out........... :laugh:
You should do more research instead of shaking and chopping up on Amala and Gbegiri.

You were one of those who were fine with Alampasu and Akpeyi even as informed minds knew that there were better Nigerian keepers out there!!
doctorollie
Egg
Egg

Post by doctorollie »

God has answered our prayers! Just hand over the No 1 jersey to Frank! At least until Carl Ikeme returns! Starting in La Liga is no joke folks and for Deportivo for that matter!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

truetalk wrote:
You should do more research instead of shaking and chopping up on Amala and Gbegiri.

You were one of those who were fine with Alampasu and Akpeyi even as informed minds knew that there were better Nigerian keepers out there!!

Didn't u just announce your wc 23? Was uzoho on it ? Or were u chopping Amala and ukazi? :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

doctorollie wrote:God has answered our prayers! Just hand over the No 1 jersey to Frank! At least until Carl Ikeme returns! Starting in La Liga is no joke folks and for Deportivo for that matter!
But he is probably no different from 2 months ago. Did you think he should have been invited to the Eagles then?
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Good development! Hope he gets more and more games, perhaps play the entire season. I also hope we keep Enrico Pionetti to help select our top 3 come WC time. Lets not rush to discard any player at this point. The more we have competing, the better.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
doctorollie
Egg
Egg

Post by doctorollie »

truetalk wrote:
doctorollie wrote:God has answered our prayers! Just hand over the No 1 jersey to Frank! At least until Carl Ikeme returns! Starting in La Liga is no joke folks and for Deportivo for that matter!
But he is probably no different from 2 months ago. Did you think he should have been invited to the Eagles then?

He has been ready ever since sir!
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Didn't u just announce your wc 23? Was uzoho on it ? Or were u chopping Amala and ukazi? :laugh:
At least I have an objective basis for anyone I think should be in or out other than 'the boy is useless'. I also said the list would be updated monthly since there are moving parts. Read what I wrote recently below. He is the youngest of the 4 Keepers I think should be contenders for the SE shirt with the unavailability of Ikeme and Enyeama. He was also no. 3 in his club at the start of his season while Nwokolor has a season of starting when he was out on loan. Femi Thomas started ahead of Ezenwa in the 2007 U-20 WC and has pretty much been the leading keeper in the NPFL over the last 6-7 years.

If Uzoho manages to start a lot of games in La Liga this season, then the dynamic changes. It was always going to be necessary for one of the genuine prospects to step up at the club level to get into the SE mix. That is just the way it is. Femi Thomas for instance, needs to sort out his club situation. No one cares that he followed Ikhana to Pillars from Enyimba. Hopefully MFM (who have a poor keeper) can snap him up for their continental campaign. Nwokolor needs to push for the starting shirt at Rijeka and put in a few shifts in the Europa league this season.

I am happy these guys are breaking through. It was just annoying for people to throw up their hands and say that Akpeyi and Alampasu were the best we had. Same thing they are doing with Elderson.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=282300&p=5074089&hilit=uzoho#p5074089
I also hope a few of the solid prospects we have abroad and at home (Uzoho et al) can become credible contenders over the next few months. I think we are on the cusp of another Rufai, Enyeama or Casillas. Guys who are the real deal and are able to prove it around age 18 -23.
Last edited by truetalk on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.