Common sense says the Algeria game should be all new faces

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Mr Shows
Egg
Egg
Re: Common sense says the Algeria game should be all new fac

Post by Mr Shows »

Nigerian fans sha... The last time Rohr went for wholesale changes, he picked an experimental team, fans applauded the selection and then we ended up losing the game to SA. Fan then turn round and accuse Rohr as being clueless and making a big mistake.... The dust settles and fans go back to clamouring for the same again. :dream: :dream:

Even though its is dead rubber, the game against Algeria is a World Cup qualifier and the result will have far reaching consequences. Thinking Algeria are just going to roll over and have their belly tickled is foolishness. Rohr will simply use the fringe players within the 'existing squad' to prosecute the game. These are the players he has worked with, drilled tactically and have had time to understudy his methods and the first 11. Expecting anything else is delusional.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Tobi17 wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:I agree play Uzoho and Alampasu against Algeria. Lets see what we have in the friendly. Hopefully we also play Morocco.

Uzoho
Shehu, Awaziem, Eze, Aina
Agu, Etebo, Ogu
Bassey, Iheanacho, Onyekuru

Beating Algeria won't affect our rankings significantly. Algeria is ranked lower than Nigeria. The ranking system is obviously rigged to favor UEFA teams. The UEFA teams also play more games than CAF.
who the flipping feck is Bassey? goodness gracious the way you guys throw names around here is comical.
He also said we should play two GKs against Algeria.... Sigh!
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:**************************************Onyekuru***********************************

***********************Beeze******************Iheanacho (C)********************

*****************************************Nwakali**********************************

******************************Etebo****************Ajagun************************

***Torunarigha*************Uduokhai*************Awazien************Aina***

*****************************************Uzoho************************************

[1] Nothing else makes sense at this point in time
[2] We are short of about five starters and have a weak bench
[3] Here we have a competitive match that is a dead rubber and will not get a better chance to blood new faces
[4] I also like the fact that the game is away, meaning the players will be thrown in at the deep end, playing in a hostile atmosphere
[5] With the amount of new talent coming through, this is the time to try them out
[6] Anyone who plays will also have participated in the qualifiers, which should keep some people here quiet
[7] I would have Iheanacho in there to captain the team. he had not played for the Eagles much lately and I would like to see his form
[8] These boys will know they are playing for their place in Russia, so I expect them to go out full blast and win this game
[9] Hopefully, after this match, Rohr will have a huge selection headache
[10] If you ask me, I expect about four or five of these boys to make the starting line-up come our World Cup opening game
Don't you mean "Ayo" sense which isn't really is not sensible in any way, shape or form :?: :!:

Cheers.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:I agree play Uzoho and Alampasu against Algeria. Lets see what we have in the friendly. Hopefully we also play Morocco.

Uzoho
Agu, Etebo, Ogu

Beating Algeria won't affect our rankings significantly. Algeria is ranked lower than Nigeria. The ranking system is obviously rigged to favor UEFA teams. The UEFA teams also play more games than CAF.
who the flipping feck is Bassey? goodness gracious the way you guys throw names around here is comical.
Bring in Alampasu in the 2nd half. It is a friendly.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

ohenhen1 wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

Uzoho
Agu, Etebo, Ogu

We are talking about the WC qualifier against Algeria here right...?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Mr Shows wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

Uzoho
Agu, Etebo, Ogu

We are talking about the WC qualifier against Algeria here right...?
He'll get there in the end....
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

ohenhen1 wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

Uzoho
Agu, Etebo, Ogu

I would like to give Uzoho a real run-out, so would not replace him. Alampasu can be tried in other matches. We need to put Uzoho to the test to see how good he really is.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

Uzoho
Agu, Etebo, Ogu

I would like to give Uzoho a real run-out, so would not replace him. Alampasu can be tried in other matches. We need to put Uzoho to the test to see how good he really is.
And if he doesn't cut it, we discard him right?
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

You mean Ayo's sense - not common sense.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
felarey wrote:Why would it make sense to throw fresh faces in the deep end? That's not the way to develop or encourage anybody. Dead rubber or not, we need this game to ensure our Fifa ranking is at the highest it can be before the draw for group stages on Dec 1st. Thankfully Rohr listed this as the next target. We need to play to win that game.
Fifa will rank teams based on the October table. The result of they match will not affect the rankings.

I put it to you that this fresh team is capable of doing better than the one that beat Zambia 1-0. Some of you cannot just get it into your skulls that our team is simply not good enough!

It is either you are being carried away by the results or you have set the bar so low, you do not care if we lose three games in Russia. Our current team is way too limited to participate in the World Cup.
Rohr doesn't think so. I'm curious about this fresh team that's so capable of being better than our team against Zambia. The idea that you throw a fresh face in the deep end to see how they perform is the exact way not to build a team. These players all have a body of work behind them and based on that, they're invited to the national team. We want to see how their qualities can compliment what we have as a team. Anyone selected needs to be after careful thought and fielded at a time appropriate for their development.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The truth is that Rohr may debut players in this game because it is essentially an international friendly and not a World Cup qualifier for both teams. World Cup qualification has already been decided. In any case, Rohr's plans will be restricted, for this game, to no more than 14 players instead of the 17 he could have used in an international friendly. The good news, however, is that Nigeria is desperately searching to have two additional matches during that window. I understand one may be against Morocco where Nigeria will camp briefly and the other may be against Tunisia. That should provide enough opportunities to test some new players. After this window, the next (I believe) is in March and Nigeria will be playing competitively away in Seychelles in a must win ANCQ. Players will NOT be tested in such a game.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Enugu II wrote:The truth is that Rohr may debut players in this game because it is essentially an international friendly and not a World Cup qualifier for both teams. World Cup qualification has already been decided. In any case, Rohr's plans will be restricted, for this game, to no more than 14 players instead of the 17 he could have used in an international friendly. The good news, however, is that Nigeria is desperately searching to have two additional matches during that window. I understand one may be against Morocco where Nigeria will camp briefly and the other may be against Tunisia. That should provide enough opportunities to test some new players. After this window, the next (I believe) is in March and Nigeria will be playing competitively away in Seychelles in a must win ANCQ. Players will NOT be tested in such a game.

For me, he should use 14 new faces. Those three games should to try out players who have no featured so far. This will allow him to know his best 11, which he can use for the game against Seychelles.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Let's see...
Algeria has yet to win a single game in these qualifying rounds. They even lost to a rag tag Zambian team both home and away, Now they have a chance to redeem some National pride by securing a win against the group leaders, who have yet to lose a game and you're saying they will treat it as a 'Friendly International'? That is laughable. Anyone who thinks Algeria will not take this game very seriously is in for a rude shock. Most especially when they just appointed a new director of football ops who would want to start his tenure with a success story (getting their first win against Nigeria).

Fact is there will certainly not be that many new additions to the team (and rightly so). Those players who have been a part of Rohr's core group will be given a run out - the coach actually suggested that (if any of you were reading the tea leaves). The notion that there will be 14-16 'new' faces (as Ayo Akinfe has insinuated) is not only silly, but highly imprudent, to say the least.

The Expectation:
I suspect we will see at least 5 or 6 of the regular players in the starting team (people like Ezenwa, Troost-Ekong, Shehu Abdullahi, Moses Simon and a few others - to maintain that element of continuity). There will be some from the bench (like Awaziem, Mikel Agu, Aina, John Ogu, Nwakaeme, etc) that definitely need a run out in order to gain some more match experience.

That said, there may be one or two new faces that show up (i.e. outside of the core group that he has been working with, or has worked with in the past, e.g. Onyekuru), but don't expect them to play a significant role in this game.

Rohr is a very conservative coach (which has worked well for him in this campaign). He obviously has learned a lot from his experiences working in Africa and he is putting it to good use.
Enugu II wrote:The truth is that Rohr may debut players in this game because it is essentially an international friendly and not a World Cup qualifier for both teams. World Cup qualification has already been decided. In any case, Rohr's plans will be restricted, for this game, to no more than 14 players instead of the 17 he could have used in an international friendly. The good news, however, is that Nigeria is desperately searching to have two additional matches during that window. I understand one may be against Morocco where Nigeria will camp briefly and the other may be against Tunisia. That should provide enough opportunities to test some new players. After this window, the next (I believe) is in March and Nigeria will be playing competitively away in Seychelles in a must win ANCQ. Players will NOT be tested in such a game.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Otitokoro wrote:Let's see...
Algeria has yet to win a single game in these qualifying rounds. They even lost to a rag tag Zambian team both home and away, Now they have a chance to redeem some National pride by securing a win against the group leaders, who have yet to lose a game and you're saying they will treat it as a 'Friendly International'? That is laughable. Anyone who thinks Algeria will not take this game very seriously is in for a rude shock. Most especially when they just appointed a new director of football ops who would want to start his tenure with a success story (getting their first win against Nigeria).

Fact is there will certainly not be that many new additions to the team (and rightly so). Those players who have been a part of Rohr's core group will be given a run out - the coach actually suggested that (if any of you were reading the tea leaves). The notion that there will be 14-16 'new' faces (as Ayo Akinfe has insinuated) is not only silly, but highly imprudent, to say the least.

The Expectation:
I suspect we will see at least 5 or 6 of the regular players in the starting team (people like Ezenwa, Troost-Ekong, Shehu Abdullahi, Moses Simon and a few others - to maintain that element of continuity). There will be some from the bench (like Awaziem, Mikel Agu, Aina, John Ogu, Nwakaeme, etc) that definitely need a run out in order to gain some more match experience.

That said, there may be one or two new faces that show up (i.e. outside of the core group that he has been working with, or has worked with in the past, e.g. Onyekuru), but don't expect them to play a significant role in this game.

Rohr is a very conservative coach (which has worked well for him in this campaign). He obviously has learned a lot from his experiences working in Africa and he is putting it to good use.
Well said. Here's the drill after qualifying for the WC:

Declare that the team that qualified is not good enough.
Ask the coach to try out new players (a bonanza for agents), wasting valuable opportunity to increase the level of your game
Once they perform abysmally as expected, don't have patience and irrationally declare the coach is clueless
Start mounting pressure on the coach and players
Fear monger on what it'll be like playing against the 'world class' coaches and teams at the WC (after failure to increase your game, see 2nd line)
Declare a need for a world class coach
Gain enough ground in the NFF and you may just get your wish for coach or players
After the WC, start building from scratch again
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

felarey wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:Let's see...

The Expectation:

Well said. Here's the drill after qualifying for the WC:

Declare that the team that qualified is not good enough.
Ask the coach to try out new players (a bonanza for agents), wasting valuable opportunity to increase the level of your game
Once they perform abysmally as expected, don't have patience and irrationally declare the coach is clueless
Start mounting pressure on the coach and players
Fear monger on what it'll be like playing against the 'world class' coaches and teams at the WC (after failure to increase your game, see 2nd line)
Declare a need for a world class coach
Gain enough ground in the NFF and you may just get your wish for coach or players
After the WC, start building from scratch again
:clap: :clap:
Naijaria!! We hail thee :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: we know the drill! I don't understand why our people never ever learn from history! Oh well!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

danfo driver wrote:Are you going to be opening the same thread every time a new Nigerian is "discovered?" You know you can just update your old thread with "Uzoho?" Right?

Happy Sunday.

:lol: :lol:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Pinnick is trying to lobby CAF to move this to November this year... (said so in a news report on TV today)
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

:clap: :clap:
Thanks for brilliantly surmizing our WC qualification '7-Step Process' :laugh:
The likes of Ayo Akinfe and his ilk are on step 2, phase 1 of the process (advocating for a wholesome change of the team).
:laugh: :laugh:
felarey wrote: Well said. Here's the drill after qualifying for the WC:

1. Declare that the team that qualified is not good enough.
2. Ask the coach to try out new players (a bonanza for agents), wasting valuable opportunity to increase the level of your game. Once they perform abysmally as expected, don't have patience and irrationally declare the coach is clueless
3. Start mounting pressure on the coach and players
4. Fear monger on what it'll be like playing against the 'world class' coaches and teams at the WC (after failure to increase your game, see 2nd line)
5. Declare a need for a world class coach
6. Gain enough ground in the NFF and you may just get your wish for coach or players
7. After the WC, start building from scratch again