FALCONS GET NEW FOREIGN COACH

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: FALCONS GET NEW FOREIGN COACH

Post by 1naija »

ikemba wrote:No surprises here. Picnic only like foreign stuff!

The local coaches have been crap
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Waldrum to replace Omagbemi as Nigeria women's boss
By Oluwashina Okeleji
BBC Sport

Randy Waldrum previously managed Trinidad and Tobago's national women's team.

American Randy Waldrum has been appointed as the Technical Adviser of the Nigeria women's team.

The 61-year-old replaces Florence Omagbemi, whose contract expired after leading the Super Falcons to an eighth women's continental title last year.

Waldrum managed Trinidad & Tobago's women's side between 2014 and 2016, and his appointment is subject to contract terms being agreed with the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).

He was fired as coach of the Houston Dash women's football team in May.

His immediate task will be to secure a qualifying spot and retain their continental title at the 2018 Africa Women Cup of Nations in Ghana.

But Waldrum's biggest challenge will be to seal qualification for the 2019 Fifa Women's World Cup in France - in what could be Nigeria's eighth record appearance at the tournament.

Despite being one of the 10 names on Fifa's list for Women's Coach of the year, former Nigeria captain Omagbemi was 'shocked and surprised' after she was not reconsidered for the job.

Nigeria are the only African team to have played in all Fifa Women's World Cup tournaments since 1991.

But they have failed to translate their continental dominance on the world stage, as their best performance came in the USA in 1999 when they reached the quarter-finals.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41707242
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

1naija wrote:

:agree:
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Sir V wrote:
1naija wrote:
Exactly! Our ‘crappy’ local coaches only won the AWC 12 times and qualified us for EVERY WWC...
Need to “step up” to coaches fired in the Caribbean and cannot hold a prof job in their own countries. SMDH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Sir V wrote:
1naija wrote:
BTW, the Falcons’ WORST-EVER performance in the WWC was under FOREIGN coach Jo Bonfrere... :roll:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Gotti wrote:
Sir V wrote:
1naija wrote:
Exactly! Our ‘crappy’ local coaches only won the AWC 12 times and qualified us for EVERY WWC...
Need to “step up” to coaches fired in the Caribbean and cannot hold a prof job in their own countries. SMDH

Have you watched an AWC game? Any coach, foreign or local can win a tournament with such games. Our goal is to win the WC or even do well at the tournament, not to just make up the numbers.

BTW, this is not an endorsement of this new coach whom I know nothing about. But I believe in firing our way to success, so if he fails he should be fired immediately.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

MIXED FEELINGS HERE

It's a terrible shame that Nigeria would not give this lady a chance to show what she can do and have settled for somebody, anybody that's not black. The problems facing the Nigerian women is not just coaching but planning and resources. If you look at every continent except Africa, especially Europe, N. America and Australia, they are putting their women thru all kinds of development programs and playing friendly tournaments. African women do not have these opportunities and this is what the focus of the FF should be. Where, O where, is their creativity? It would be interesting to see what he's getting paid compared to Omagbemi. Maybe, just maybe, he can show the NFF what real planning is and maybe that would be of some help.

My other feeling is this. Several years ago when the issue of an FC for the men's team was being discussed, some of the women insisted that they also should have an FC. Just wondering of Omagbemi was one of them. We've always warned pro-FC's that it could come back to haunt you one of these days.
Bell
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

1naija wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Sir V wrote:
1naija wrote:
Have you watched an AWC game? Any coach, foreign or local can win a tournament with such games. Our goal is to win the WC or even do well at the tournament, not to just make up the numbers.

BTW, this is not an endorsement of this new coach whom I know nothing about. But I believe in firing our way to success, so if he fails he should be fired immediately.
Well, under FOREIGN coach Jo Bonfrere we did even WORSE than “just make up the numbers” at the WWC....

When a coach is proven ‘crap’ then replace that individual coach with someone else - not condemn the entire nationality of that coach (let’s not even note that the coach being replaced did NOT lose a single game and won the continental championship - while being owed NINE MONTHS’ salary and losing both his father and a son during her tenure of involuntarily-unpaid service to Nigeria). After all, the fact that Bonfrere crapped with the Falcons at the WWC apparently have not condemned nor precluded the entirety of foreign coaches from consideration for the Falcons coaching job.

BTW, this is not a condemnation of the appointment of this particular new foreign coach, whom I know nothing about and thus will evaluate and judge as an INDIVIDUAL coach based on his individual results and performance with the Falcons.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Bell wrote:MIXED FEELINGS HERE

It's a terrible shame that Nigeria would not give this lady a chance to show what she can do and have settled for somebody, anybody that's not black. The problems facing the Nigerian women is not just coaching but planning and resources. If you look at every continent except Africa, especially Europe, N. America and Australia, they are putting their women thru all kinds of development programs and playing friendly tournaments. African women do not have these opportunities and this is what the focus of the FF should be. Where, O where, is their creativity? It would be interesting to see what he's getting paid compared to Omagbemi. Maybe, just maybe, he can show the NFF what real planning is and maybe that would be of some help.
Getting paid? An indigenous coach? Are you for reals? :D

Bros, from what I can recall, Florence Omagbemi was NOT paid a dime (reportedly not even camp allowances) from her appointment in March or April 2016 for the entire NINE-MONTH period of her tenure up to winning the AWC against a tough host team in Cameroon. One can only hopevthat she has since been settled (one still recalls the disgraceful sight of our continental championship-winning Falcons marching through the streets of Abuja, not in triumph but rather in protest for the non-payment of agreed-upon allowances and bonuses), because during the period of her service to the Fatherland she reportedly lost her father, and then her son/nephew shortly thereafter! Nonetheless, like you I am somewhat conflicted - because it appears that when foreign coaches come on board, our inept and clueless administrators tend to step up a little bit more. SMDH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

1naija wrote:Have you watched an AWC game? Any coach, foreign or local can win a tournament with such games. Our goal is to win the WC or even do well at the tournament, not to just make up the numbers.

Bros, if our goal is really “to win the WWC or even do well at the tournament” then how many friendlies of any kind did the NFF organize in the almost NINE MONTHS between our qualification for the last WWC (by wining the 2014 AWC in Namibia) and the WWC 2015 in Canada, despite promising to organize friendlies with “top” countries? Let me help you - ZERO!!! In fact, even when the Falcons were invited to an invitational tournament in Australia that had many other WWC 2015 teams, the same NFF claimed that it could not raise a team to prosecute same. Yep, sounds just like a country intent on winning the WWC. SMDH

Anyway, we are talking about a country and federation that when Amunike complained about the inadequacy of preparations (and resources to prepare) for the 2015 world U17 was admonished that the U23 team won the U23 AFCON (and thus qualified for the 2016 Rio Olympics) with very shambolic preparations (if any at all). Unfortunately, Amunike did the WORST possible thing under the circumstances - he went to Chile and won the world championship!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

How Foreign is he; is he really a 'foreign coach' per say just because he is from the US especially given that US isn't really a Nation you put on your list of footballing nation until lately. My point is evident in the way thread starter hid the coach under the subject - foreign coach
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Gotti wrote:

Getting paid? An indigenous coach? Are you for reals? :D

Bros, from what I can recall, Florence Omagbemi was NOT paid a dime (reportedly not even camp allowances) from her appointment in March or April 2016 for the entire NINE-MONTH period of her tenure up to winning the AWC against a tough host team in Cameroon. One can only hopevthat she has since been settled (one still recalls the disgraceful sight of our continental championship-winning Falcons marching through the streets of Abuja, not in triumph but rather in protest for the non-payment of agreed-upon allowances and bonuses), because during the period of her service to the Fatherland she reportedly lost her father, and then her son/nephew shortly thereafter! Nonetheless, like you I am somewhat conflicted - because it appears that when foreign coaches come on board, our inept and clueless administrators tend to step up a little bit more. SMDH
FOR A WHILE...

...I thought the absence of African teams in the frequent get togethers involving mostly European and American teams (less frequently Asian) was a cliquish kind of a thing. Now it is looking like it could have more to do with traditional FF incompetence. In a related performance, it was the same FF that failed to plan for winning bonuses for historically the best African team in nearby Cameroon allegedly because they didn't think they would win. Not after the group stage, the semi-finals nor the finals.
Bell
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

Rawlings wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:He was recently fired by the Houston dash for poor performance.

Do you think if he was any good, he'll come to Africa?
we take the junk from the west

One of Ghana's national team coaches was a PE teacher in Serbia

-
You mean to tell me a PE teacher outdid all tihe coaches in ghana????? No b eem fault!!!!!!!!
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

My other feeling is this. Several years ago when the issue of an FC for the men's team was being discussed, some of the women insisted that they also should have an FC. Just wondering of Omagbemi was one of them. We've always warned pro-FC's that it could come back to haunt you one of these days.
Bell

Won't b a surprise or reason uf foreign based chicks choose to stay away instead of using the opps ( to play).
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Man Ataye wrote:

Bell

Won't b a surprise or reason uf foreign based chicks choose to stay away instead of using the opps ( to play).
PERSONALLY...

...I think the foreign based players would be eager to participate in these prestigious tournaments, FF incompetence notwithstanding.
Bell
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

iworo wrote:Waldrum to replace Omagbemi as Nigeria women's boss
By Oluwashina Okeleji
BBC Sport

Randy Waldrum previously managed Trinidad and Tobago's national women's team.

American Randy Waldrum has been appointed as the Technical Adviser of the Nigeria women's team.

The 61-year-old replaces Florence Omagbemi, whose contract expired after leading the Super Falcons to an eighth women's continental title last year.

Waldrum managed Trinidad & Tobago's women's side between 2014 and 2016, and his appointment is subject to contract terms being agreed with the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).

He was fired as coach of the Houston Dash women's football team in May.

His immediate task will be to secure a qualifying spot and retain their continental title at the 2018 Africa Women Cup of Nations in Ghana.

But Waldrum's biggest challenge will be to seal qualification for the 2019 Fifa Women's World Cup in France - in what could be Nigeria's eighth record appearance at the tournament.

Despite being one of the 10 names on Fifa's list for Women's Coach of the year, former Nigeria captain Omagbemi was 'shocked and surprised' after she was not reconsidered for the job.

Nigeria are the only African team to have played in all Fifa Women's World Cup tournaments since 1991.

But they have failed to translate their continental dominance on the world stage, as their best performance came in the USA in 1999 when they reached the quarter-finals.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41707242
Great hire.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Updated.

Waldrum appointed again!
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

yes..
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Here see video confirmation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIQxxHyyJHI
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

fabio wrote:Updated.

Waldrum appointed again!
Going back to our 'vomit' then?! :D

A coach whose team finished 10th out of 14 teams in the ACC last season.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Enugu II wrote:
Gotti wrote:The NFF executive board meeting yesterday announced the appointment of American Randy Waldrum as the new coach (officially the ‘Technical Adviser’) of the Super Falcons.

Prior to his Nigerian appointment, Waldrum was head of coach of the Trinidad and Tabago women’s national team for about 2 years until he was fired in 2016, and also the head coach of the Houston Dash of the National Women’s Soccer League until he was fired in May following a poor run of results.
Gotti,

He has not been officially hired yet. What happened is that the NFF Executive Committee approved the Technical Committee's request to negotiate with Waldrum with the hope of reaching financial agreement at which point he will be officially hired. That is my understanding.
The coach shouldn't be hired. I don't think he has what we want in a coach. Based on our record, we want MORE than the AFCON women's title. We want the World cup trophy. If all he will lead us to, is the AFCON title victory, I believe any of our local coaches can accomplish such fit, so why hire a foreign coach for such?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Rawlings wrote:
Odas wrote:
Gadfly wrote:And he will get paid on time!
I think he will be fired soon like in other clubs/nations he has worked for, or this time, he will quit for nonpayment of salaries :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mods?
This man is disrespecting Naija. Suspend him for 3.5 hours
Lol, na wa-oo! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Coaching really hasn't been the issue for the Super Falcons in recent years. The women's program has basically been abandoned under Pinnick. We've had two really good coaches in Omagbemi and Dennerby. Both of their tenures were cut short after much progress due to the incompetence of the NFF.

Therefore I'm not holding out much hope for Waldrum. He's not a bad choice but I doubt that he's got any clue of what he's getting himself into.