Gernot Rohr's 1 hr interview with Nigerian Journalist

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

highbury
Egg
Egg
Gernot Rohr's 1 hr interview with Nigerian Journalist

Post by highbury »

[/video]
Robotnik
Egg
Egg
Re: Gernot Rohr's 1 hr interview with Nigerian Journalist

Post by Robotnik »

Good stuff!
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Robotnik wrote:Good stuff!
It indeed was. Very revealing
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Great stuff. Brilliant coach.
I would STRONGLY encourage all CE members to listen to the interview.
Very introspective look into the coach's philosophy and the kind of team he is striving to build.

This should be made a sticky. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.
Thanks for sharing.
highbury wrote:
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Otitokoro wrote:Great stuff. Brilliant coach.
I would STRONGLY encourage all CE members to listen to the interview.
Very introspective look into the coach's philosophy and the kind of team he is striving to build.

This should be made a sticky. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.
Thanks for sharing.
highbury wrote:
You're quite welcome. I serendipitously found this online.
Clearly folks are watching it because the views on YouTube has gone up by 50.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Thanks for posting. Good interview provides an insight into his thinking plus it was good to get the facts from the horses mouth. I am glad. I heard it from the coach protecting the players that were heavily Criticised by the media and agents.....Simon, Agu, Eenwa and the leftback. Football agents & hanger on will not be pleased and will probably launch another campaign to discredit these players but this process is transparent we can all see these players play at their individual clubs. This was not the case in the past the firsttime anybody saw Babatunde was at the world. Cup. No one saw Reuben before the World Cup because he was injured. The criteria used to select Sola Ameobi......Na real wao oh!

The selection against Algeria is taking shape Ezenwa needs as much experience as possible Ighalo, Obi, Moses and our normal left will be absent. It's going to be interesting
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Flex Swift wrote:Thanks for posting. Good interview provides an insight into his thinking plus it was good to get the facts from the horses mouth. I am glad. I heard it from the coach protecting the players that were heavily Criticised by the media and agents.....Simon, Agu, Eenwa and the leftback. Football agents & hanger on will not be pleased and will probably launch another campaign to discredit these players but this process is transparent we can all see these players play at their individual clubs. This was not the case in the past the firsttime anybody saw Babatunde was at the world. Cup. No one saw Reuben before the World Cup because he was injured. The criteria used to select Sola Ameobi......Na real wao oh!

The selection against Algeria is taking shape Ezenwa needs as much experience as possible Ighalo, Obi, Moses and our normal left will be absent. It's going to be interesting
I am glad you enjoyed it. I couldn't keep this to myself
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Great interview. Gernot Rohr is a very likeable person and a wealth of knowledge.
We are lucky to have him and he is exactly what the Super Eagles needed to take the next step.

How likely is it that the european player who is close to playing for Nigeria is this kid?
Fabian Senninger Akinade
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Bobo Dan
Egg
Egg

Post by Bobo Dan »

Very disheartening to hear Gernot Rohr said there's no good football pitch in Lagos and Abuja to host the Super Eagle
How did we get to this stage?
Lagos state that traditionally used to be natural base of the Green/Super Eagle of Nigeria
How sad ???
If I can't express my opinion, I have no reason to be part of this union."
Co Adriaanse - AZ Coach

We’re not rated on the Continent,” said Toshack. “British managers are not, coaches are not, players are not. It’s all 4-4-2, hit the front man, get on the second ball. It hasn’t changed. It frustrates me at times, it really does.”
- John Toshack (British Wales Coach viewtopic.php?t=111511 ).

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Bobo Dan wrote:Very disheartening to hear Gernot Rohr said there's no good football pitch in Lagos and Abuja to host the Super Eagle
Lagos state that traditionally used to be natural base of the Green/Super Eagle of Nigeria
How sad ???

The lagos pitch wasnt good then either.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

The interviewers were very annoying at times. The did ask direct questions though.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

charlie wrote:Great interview. Gernot Rohr is a very likeable person and a wealth of knowledge.
We are lucky to have him and he is exactly what the Super Eagles needed to take the next step.

How likely is it that the european player who is close to playing for Nigeria is this kid?
Fabian Senninger Akinade
Not likely. He plays in Div. 3
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

1naija wrote:The interviewers were very annoying at times. The did ask direct questions though.
THE MOST ANNOYING PART WAS ENDLESS YAPPING IN THE BACKGROUND

Do they do this all the time, or was it because they were interviewing Rohr?
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

DID I HEAR RORH CORRECTLY THAT...

...he had to borrow practice balls from the S. Africans? In Uyo?
Bell
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bell wrote:DID I HEAR RORH CORRECTLY THAT...

Bell
That is true and it was widely reported in the Nigerian media. The CAF balls arrived but NFF did not pay to get them out from the wharf. Those were only balls that are permitted for AFCON Q.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

The interviewer na my friend from way back. He did a great job
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Bell
uhmmm
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Enugu II wrote:

Bell
That is true and it was widely reported in the Nigerian media. The CAF balls arrived but NFF did not pay to get them out from the wharf. Those were only balls that are permitted for AFCON Q.
IS THERE NO LIMIT TO THE DEPTH NIGERIANS WOULD DRAG THE COUNTRY?

Three other incidents come to mind:

1) Several years ago, in the Yekini era, the uniforms did not arrive at the stadium and a quick-thinking Yekini called for scissors to cut the lower ends of their warm up pants. According to the report, this is what they used for the first half.

2) This is better known - a general election had to be postponed for two weeks because ballot papers did not arrive.

3) More recently, the best women's team in the continent were not paid the traditional winning bonuses because (according to the Info minister) they didn't think they would win. And this attitude did not change even as they progressed thru the various stages.

This shows a nation where accountability is so low and those in charge so devoid of any sense of public responsibility that they didn't see any need to plan for contingencies. In none of these cases did heads roll as far as I know.
Bell
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Enugu II wrote:

Bell
If you rewatch the highlights of the game, you will notice that SA was written on all the balls used on the day. It was actually noted and discussed on the site after the game.

It's pretty clear Rohr knows what he is doing and he has realistic expectations regarding how things work in Nigeria. He has a personal ambition to go the WC and make a statement, unlike most journeymen who take the money and run. I really sense this is going to be our best WC outing.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Bobo Dan wrote:Very disheartening to hear Gernot Rohr said there's no good football pitch in Lagos and Abuja to host the Super Eagle
How sad ???
Lagos football arenas have been invaded by crusading preachers and their followers.
They without arguments ruin the pitch at the national stadium in Surulere, by placing
chairs on the tracks and on the field. The worst part is that these events are generating
no revenue for the stadium upkeep or that whatever revenue generated are being embezzled.
The national stadium issue is a clear case of mismanagement by criminals posing as officials.
Privatization is the way to go on just about everything in that country.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

joao wrote:
How sad ???
Lagos football arenas have been invaded by crusading preachers and their followers.
They without arguments ruin the pitch at the national stadium in Surulere, by placing
chairs on the tracks and on the field. The worst part is that these events are generating
no revenue for the stadium upkeep or that whatever revenue generated are being embezzled.
The national stadium issue is a clear case of mismanagement by criminals posing as officials.
Yes. The preachers took over Abuja stadium also. They even chased SE from training for their crusades.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

wanaj0 wrote:
joao wrote:
How sad ???
Yes. The preachers took over Abuja stadium also. They even chased SE from training for their crusades.

MOST STADIUM MGMTs WELCOME THESE OTHER STADIUM USERS, BECAUSE...

...they use their payments for the upkeep of the facilities. So the questions must be asked: do these preachers pay for the use of the stadium? If they do, do they pay a fair amount? And if they pay a fair amount, where does the money end up?
Bell
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Kpom Bell, Cardiff principality stadium is going to host AJ two weeks later a rugby I was watching interview with the grounds man and he said six o'clock in the morning they will be taking care of the pitch. The church has to pay to use the stadium and timing with games is crucial
Oya back to the matter
open and close