Taiwo Awoniyi hangs again for Mouscron in Belgian League

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Taiwo Awoniyi hangs again for Mouscron in Belgian League

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

On loan Liverpool forward Taiwo Awoniyi once again proved his goal scoring abilities by scoring the lone goal for his loan side Mouscron in their 1-2 loss to Standard Liege.

Awoniyi struck in the 49th minute to cancel out Sebastian Locigno own goal which put Standard Liege ahead in the 33rd minutes, but Orlando Sa restored Standard Liege lead with a goal 15 minutes from full time.

A late rally by ‎Mouscron to draw level ended up with Standard Liege hitting them on a counter, which forced them to concede a penalty tucked home by Edmilson Junior on the dot of regulation time to kill off any potential chance of a late comeback by Mouscron.

Despite his team losing the tie, Awoniyi is finally delivering on the promise that made Liverpool sign him few years ago from Imperial Academy in Nigeria as the goal was his fourth League goal in 8 games, and more impressive his fourth goal in six games.

He is presently enjoying his most prolific season since Liverpool decided to send him out on loan in search of regular games. His other loan spell has ended with either the forward scoring one or two goals.

At German side FSV Frankurt he scored just once from 13 games, while last season he scored four goals for NEC Nijmegen in 21 games. This season his goal scoring streak has even lead to talks of him being invited to the senior national team of Nigeria.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/20/li ... ron-again/
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Taiwo Awoniyi hangs again for Mouscron in Belgian League

Post by YUJAM »

I suspect it will be tough to ignore him for a NT call-up soon. I don't think that it is far fetched to speculate that at this rate, he will be in the conversation for a WC starting place
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

YUJAM wrote:I suspect it will be tough to ignore him for a NT call-up soon. I don't think that it is far fetched to speculate that at this rate, he will be in the conversation for a WC starting place
Anything is possible. Will have to score those goals in GWG to make the team.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
jungle-jawara
Egg
Egg

Post by jungle-jawara »

ohenhen1 wrote:
YUJAM wrote:I suspect it will be tough to ignore him for a NT call-up soon. I don't think that it is far fetched to speculate that at this rate, he will be in the conversation for a WC starting place

That's the same thing they said to Obagoal. He now joined Seattle Sounders (who wear green white green), was scoring goals on the moon but still didn't get a recall. So he went east, "far east"
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

I have high hopes for this guy. Love his build and speed.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

jungle-jawara wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:

That's the same thing they said to Obagoal. He now joined Seattle Sounders (who wear green white green), was scoring goals on the moon but still didn't get a recall. So he went east, "far east"

Martins was in the twilight of his career when he went to the US. He was invited back to the Eagles but was way past it!
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I like Awoniyi, and really want him to continue to do well. However, his rich vein of form may be an indication of how weak the Belgian league is. Don't think it's a coincidence he had a harder time scoring in the Dutch league and the German 2nd division.
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

olu wrote:I like Awoniyi, and really want him to continue to do well. However, his rich vein of form may be an indication of how weak the Belgian league is. Don't think it's a coincidence he had a harder time scoring in the Dutch league and the German 2nd division.
Or maybe he is just getting better with experience?
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST