FIFA Looking to Change Nationality Rules........

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
FIFA Looking to Change Nationality Rules........

Post by Enugu II »

FIFA to look into changing nationality rules
Reuters Staff
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-socce ... KKBN1CO31L

ZURICH (Reuters) - FIFA is considering an overhaul of the rules which govern players’ eligibility for national teams, including a proposal which would allow them to switch allegiance in certain circumstances.

Victor Montagliani, head of FIFA’s stakeholders’ committee, said there were issues regarding the rules, which are aimed at preventing players from switching between national teams or representing countries they have no connection with.
Sidney Sam/Nigeria?

“There are so many issues that have popped up over the years because the world is changing, immigration is changing,” said the Canadian, who is president of the North, Central America and Caribbean federation (CONCACAF).

“There are nationality issues that pop up all over the world, in Africa, there are issues in Asia and CONCACAF, so its a good time to have a look at this and see if there are solutions, without hurting the integrity of the game.”

At present, players who have played a competitive international for one team cannot switch to another national side even when they hold dual nationality.

The Cape Verde football federation has proposed this rule be relaxed in cases where the player has played only one or two games for his original national side but has no realistic chance of a recall.

Players are only allowed to represent a country with which they have no blood connection if they have lived and played there for five years, but Montagliani said his committee would look into changing that period and possibly increasing it.

World soccer’s ruling body could also look into a compensation scheme in cases where a player goes through the training system of one country and represents it a youth level before switching to another. ImageWould Nigeria have compensated England?

Writing by Brian Homewood, editing by Ed Osmond
Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
Last edited by Enugu II on Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: FIFA Looking to Change Nationality Rules........

Post by Cellular »

Heck no!

Countries should not be allowed to cap players they have no intention of playing or integrating to their full National team.

Capping the players in order to ristrict their movement is just wrong.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Bullocks! The whole thing is a sham. IMHO, players shouldn’t be allowed to switch once they have committed to a country already. First they want transgender bathrooms now they want nationality switch be made easier. What’s next? Option to reject blood types? :laugh:

Unless you’re entering Nigeria with a Nigerian passport and leaving on a US passport, change of nationality should be banned. :lol:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Olayemi14
Egg
Egg

Post by Olayemi14 »

A derivative of this actually cost Chile a WC spot with regards to Bolivia.

"Players are only allowed to represent a country with which they have no blood connection if they have lived and played there for five years, but Montagliani said his committee would look into changing that period and possibly increasing it."
Active member of the JOM & JM Fan Clubs. Baba Eleran of Chelsea FC.
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

The rule is fine the way it is right now.
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

England don complain
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Compensation :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The English and French must be applying serious heat
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Hell no

This is a bad idea. Compensation ko Compensation ni.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

The compensation rule is ridiculous! Most of the national teams that get players from the FAs that are providing the training are poor and this would only make them poorer. If the player is of the blood of the gaining country and wants to play for the gaining country the gaining country's FA shouldn't be penalized for that.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Compensations for what??? I can literally smell the French and English stench on this proposal. This is why I miss Sepp Blatter. He would have told them both to feck off. The rule is fine as it is.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

If a child born in Africa grows up in Europe but decides to play for his African nation, will the "training" country compensate the original country for "lending" them their child?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Reading the thread title for a moment there I thought we might be able to get David Alaba. :)
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

MY THOUGHTS ON THIS ARE GOING IN ALL DIRECTIONS

1) One reason this doesn't bother me is because it'd force the likes of the NFF to craft a real development program, instead of outsourcing same to Europe, a form of import for which Nigeria is well known.

2) If indeed, this is being pushed by Europe, they are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist because, except in rare cases, the players affected are those who would not make their NT and probably gave them the right of first refusal.

3) It's the players who would get hurt because they can't play for their country of birth and are not allowed to switch, leaving them in an island.

4) FIFA may also be hurt because a special class of good players would be kept out of tournaments making the tournaments a little bit poorer.

5) Players who think they maybe affected may want to consider pursuing dual nationality early as a safeguard.

6) Maybe countries that transfer players to Europe should also consider demanding development fees from the European clubs payable to the transferring country's FA.
Bell
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bell wrote:MY THOUGHTS ON THIS ARE GOING IN ALL DIRECTIONS

1) One reason this doesn't bother me is because it'd force the likes of the NFF to craft a real development program, instead of outsourcing same to Europe, a form of import for which Nigeria is well known.

2) If indeed, this is being pushed by Europe, they are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist because, except in rare cases, the players affected are those who would not make their NT and probably gave them the right of first refusal.
Bell, KPOM. They are simply trying to block a player from playing for another country when in fact they find no use for the player. Who suffers? The player. Makes no sense for compensation in this case.
3) It's the players who would get hurt because they can't play for their country of birth and are not allowed to switch, leaving them in an island.

4) FIFA may also be hurt because a special class of good players would be kept out of tournaments making the tournaments a little bit poorer.

5) Players who think they maybe affected may want to consider pursuing dual nationality early as a safeguard.

6) Maybe countries that transfer players to Europe should also consider demanding development fees from the European clubs payable to the transferring country's FA.
Bell
If I am not mistaken, this rule currently exists. In fact these are often related to the sell-on fees often mentioned in the Nigeria media.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Enugu II wrote:
Bell wrote:MY THOUGHTS ON THIS ARE GOING IN ALL DIRECTIONS

Bell, KPOM. They are simply trying to block a player from playing for another country when in fact they find no use for the player. Who suffers? The player. Makes no sense for compensation in this case.

Bell
If I am not mistaken, this rule currently exists. In fact these are often related to the sell-on fees often mentioned in the Nigeria media.
The sell on fees go to the all previous clubs but none go to the FA.

FAs should not be compensated for "using" children while developing them, discard them by the wayside and then demand compensation.
The players are not slaves.

In fact, the former colonies like France should pay for taking a pool of potentially talented individuals, polishing them and taking the best of them while discarding the rest.
The competitive environment their presence creates alone, to push the indigenes is priceless.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I'm on my mobile right now, so unfortunately no thesis.

But one thing they should definitely do is the compensation scheme.

I'm sorry but we are benefitting from the hard work and investment of other countries.

They should be compensated.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Tbite wrote:I'm on my mobile right now, so unfortunately no thesis.

I'm sorry but we are benefitting from the hard work and investment of other countries.

Thanks for the short and direct points. Very powerful :tic:
When it comes to football the west wants compensation but they've never compensated Africans for all the trained nurses and doctors they've poached.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Really? So why did Sepp Blatter (I hope you know him) said that Africans should be compensated by the likes of France.

It is sad to see that Africans don't know their real value.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Enugu II wrote:
FIFA to look into changing nationality rules
Reuters Staff
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-socce ... KKBN1CO31L

ZURICH (Reuters) - FIFA is considering an overhaul of the rules which govern players’ eligibility for national teams, including a proposal which would allow them to switch allegiance in certain circumstances.

Victor Montagliani, head of FIFA’s stakeholders’ committee, said there were issues regarding the rules, which are aimed at preventing players from switching between national teams or representing countries they have no connection with.
Sidney Sam/Nigeria?

“There are so many issues that have popped up over the years because the world is changing, immigration is changing,” said the Canadian, who is president of the North, Central America and Caribbean federation (CONCACAF).

“There are nationality issues that pop up all over the world, in Africa, there are issues in Asia and CONCACAF, so its a good time to have a look at this and see if there are solutions, without hurting the integrity of the game.”

At present, players who have played a competitive international for one team cannot switch to another national side even when they hold dual nationality.

The Cape Verde football federation has proposed this rule be relaxed in cases where the player has played only one or two games for his original national side but has no realistic chance of a recall.

Players are only allowed to represent a country with which they have no blood connection if they have lived and played there for five years, but Montagliani said his committee would look into changing that period and possibly increasing it.

World soccer’s ruling body could also look into a compensation scheme in cases where a player goes through the training system of one country and represents it a youth level before switching to another. ImageWould Nigeria have compensated England?

Writing by Brian Homewood, editing by Ed Osmond
Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
The compensation scheme will prevent Nigeria begging for the likes of Tammy Abraham if they have to pay!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Kabalega wrote:

Really? So why did Sepp Blatter (I hope you know him) said that Africans should be compensated by the likes of France.

It is sad to see that Africans don't know their real value.
Lets not conflate the issues. Just because we deserve compensation in one area, does not give us the right to abscond when we are the ones that need to compensate.

There is the issue of talent being fleeced from Africa, with very little benefit to the continent, particular Francophone Africa. That is one issue.

There is also the issue of countries such as Nigeria, Ghana, Cape Verde, Algeria etc. benefiting from the youth systems, leagues and infrastructure of other countries, that is another issue entirely.

but regarding my earlier post (It will not actually work), just as in Club football, what compensation strives to balance will be diminished by entities with deep pockets, that will continue to exploit the system. We need hard limits! We need to limit the numbers, not just impose financial penalties. There should be a limit to the number of players who have played at youth level for one country only to represent another, that should be capped yearly. Regarding your own concern, that is something that can be rectified without policy changes. But this issue that I am speaking of, cannot be rectified without policy.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Kabalega wrote:If a child born in Africa grows up in Europe but decides to play for his African nation, will the "training" country compensate the original country for "lending" them their child?
Chief Kabalega; you beat me to this question. Let's wait and see how FIFA will deal with such demand by the home countries where the player(s) was/were born. FIFA better be careful with the changes they are thinking of making, else they will destroy the game.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Odas wrote:
Kabalega wrote:If a child born in Africa grows up in Europe but decides to play for his African nation, will the "training" country compensate the original country for "lending" them their child?
Chief Kabalega; you beat me to this question. Let's wait and see how FIFA will deal with such demand by the home countries where the player(s) was/were born. FIFA better be careful with the changes they are thinking of making, else they will destroy the game.

Why not, and exactly what is lending? the Country that provided the training facilities can be compensated for providing the means I feel.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Guv007 wrote:
Odas wrote:

Why not, and exactly what is lending? the Country that provided the training facilities can be compensated for providing the means I feel.
Player development is an investment. The countries typically affected keep the exceptional ones and give us back the 'average' ones. Immigration is changing worldwide. The risk in taking foreign or naturalized citizens is that they now have an option to choose the country that best serves them rather than being used as chattel.

FIFA wants to take it back to when the rich countries will only keep our bests and discard the rest like they are worthless.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!