Strikers: SE major problem and the options

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Strikers: SE major problem and the options

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Check out the Crotone vs Torino game here where both Slimy and Umar played:

I am not sold on either of them. Both too ungainly for my liking. At the World Cup, you need strikers with close control.
Bobo Dan
Egg
Egg

Post by Bobo Dan »

danfo driver wrote:
osita wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Mystic is very useless for not doing a proper depth chart, this is a yamtube version. Alhaji Gero as alternate to ighalo? Gerrarrahia mehn!
Gero is not it at all. However igaho is not a quality striker he will struggle in Russia, I believe we should try out Paul onuachu he will come out good.

You are definitely an agent!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Welcome to Cybereagles Danfodriver :rotf: :rotf:
If I can't express my opinion, I have no reason to be part of this union."
Co Adriaanse - AZ Coach

We’re not rated on the Continent,” said Toshack. “British managers are not, coaches are not, players are not. It’s all 4-4-2, hit the front man, get on the second ball. It hasn’t changed. It frustrates me at times, it really does.”
- John Toshack (British Wales Coach viewtopic.php?t=111511 ).

bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

If Success can regain his form before the world cup start he will be the apt striker to lead our attacking in the world cup. With addition of Onyekuru, Bazee and Bonaventure we will definitely excel marvelously ,. There is no question about it if all these players are successfully incorporated into the team the sky is SE liimit
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bully12 wrote:If Success can regain his form before the world cup start he will be the apt striker to lead our attacking in the world cup. With addition of Onyekuru, Bazee and Bonaventure we will definitely excel marvelously ,. There is no question about it if all these players are successfully incorporated into the team the sky is SE liimit
Success the winger?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

bully12 wrote:If Success can regain his form before the world cup start he will be the apt striker to lead our attacking in the world cup. With addition of Onyekuru, Bazee and Bonaventure we will definitely excel marvelously ,. There is no question about it if all these players are successfully incorporated into the team the sky is SE liimit
Bully, what exactly has Success done in recent times? Pound for pound he has nothing on Kayode...absolutely nothing
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Success had one great season in Spain. There is a star there, but he needs to get his $#% together.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

marutimon wrote:Success had one great season in Spain. There is a star there, but he needs to get his $#% together.
He had one decent season in Spain, but as a winger, not a striker, and he seems to be in Rohrs plans anyway.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

ohenhen1 wrote:Striker is the least of our problems.

Our problem areas are fullbacks, centerback depth, goalkeeper and midfield depth.

Iheanacho scored against Cameroon. That is one goal right there.

We have Ighalo, Dressers, Iheanacho, Emenike, Kolanut boy and etc.

Least of our problems.

We have Ighalo - CHina (not even top 5 highest goal scorer in a Nonsense chinese league, same when he was in a better league in the EPL)
Dressers - doing well and still not in the radar for an invite
Iheanacho - has only played well in the worthless cup which was yesterday
Emenike - not even dressed for Kolanut boy and etc.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Mr Shows wrote:For now if we play 2 up front, Nacho can play behind either Onyekuru are Kayode. Add Moses and Simon on the wings and the pace will be frightening..

It will be really nice if we can get Tammy Abraham into the mix, with the quality around him in the SE, he may turn out to be one hell of a goal poacher.
Nacho is not even match fit and when he plays, he is off. For now, Nacho is only on the team due to past precedents and not on current form.

Onyekuru is a winger for now and we dont know how he would perform as a striker. any other thing would just be speculations. I feel our best strikers have not yet played for the SE.

I believe in Kayode, Onuachi and either Simy or Sadiq (if he continues as a starter in TOrino)
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Cellular wrote:Oga Chief Nfachairman, striker abi na Center Forward is hardly our problem. We are a counter-attacking team. That's our identity.
The coach loves Ighalo hold up play. We love attacking from the flanks. Hope we have a capable sub for VicMo who puts in double shift on both sides of the pitch.
We also need more guys like Iwobi who can play in tight spaces and have pace on the counter.
Like Ohenhehe said, I will be satisfied if we find 2 additional CD... a bonafide left FB or WB... another battler in midfield... another box-to-box midfielder.

But I actually like our team... I like the Chemistry.

Against Algeria and Argentina, I will be looking if we are capable of playing without Mikel Obi.
Striker is our problem hence Rohr using different strikers through out the qualifiers. Ighalo was ROhr's last experiment and I still dont thnk he is up to challenging the best defenders int he world. My gut instincts tell me that Ighalo would not make it to Russia. We have better options playing in better leagues in Europe and scoring goals. ANd ofcourse guys that can play with their back to goal effectively like Kayode and Onuachi.

ANd what we seem to forget is that ROhr had to play with caution in the qualifiers cos he is new with the team and until you get a near perfect blend, its defend your goal first. I know we would see something pretty different in Russia. When u watch his one hour interview, he still believes he can change his team and he is still looking for the best strategy.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

1naija wrote:You guys like to write thesis. As far as I am concerned right now, Ighalo is our number one striker. I think Rohr if changes the lone striker strategy he used successfully in the qualifiers, Ighalo will be prolific. Nacho needs to regain his confidence. I would play him as a support striker with Ighalo as the main striker. The only problem with this is that Nacho does not defend well so that will weaken our midfield somewhat.

But as long as victor Moses is healthy, Ighalo will be our main striker in Russia, and we will score many goals.

Thesis? You honestly think Ighalo is good enough. You honestly think Ighalo is our best striker? We have 6 strikers out there country doing better than Ighalo. You honestly think becos he did well against cameroun (first leg) and ok against cameroun return leg and zambia that he is fit to represent Nigeria in the Worldcup? Or you think Zambia is Aje ni Tina, Germany or even ordinary Serbia?

Lets not shame the great guys that have worn that jersey like Yekini who was higest goals scorer in portugal, Ikpeba that was prince of MOnaco playing side by side with Jurgen Klinsmann, etc. NOt Ighalo that cannot even be top 3 goalsscorers in CHINA!! after 1 good half season in EPL, stunk up the joint for the rest.

ABEG!!
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Mr Shows wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Forget about RB issues, it’s sorted out. King Nura is back! He is THE truth! He is here. :thumb:
This is based on him not even kicking a ball all season..
I tire o. I love Nura but until he starts playing games for Roma, he should not smell the SE. And thank God, Rohr keeps saying "only players playing regualrly for their clubs woudl be invited". Though we know he has 1 or 2 sentiments towards certain players like Ahmed Musa and Nacho.

We Nigerians LACK standards!!
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Forget about RB issues, it’s sorted out. King Nura is back! He is THE truth! He is here. :thumb:
I tire o. I love Nura but until he starts playing games for Roma, he should not smell the SE. And thank God, Rohr keeps saying "only players playing regualrly for their clubs woudl be invited". Though we know he has 1 or 2 sentiments towards certain players like Ahmed Musa and Nacho.

Nacho does start games, more often than Iwobi.
But fact is Nacho isn't match fit. Yesterday he was so gassed by the 75th minute that he didn't even make a run he would normally make and which likely would have ended with him scoring again. Instead he almost walked towards goal.

He's still playing at 50% his current potential. Still managed a to class goal and assist though...
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

marutimon wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:

Nacho does start games, more often than Iwobi.
But fact is Nacho isn't match fit. Yesterday he was so gassed by the 75th minute that he didn't even make a run he would normally make and which likely would have ended with him scoring again. Instead he almost walked towards goal.

He's still playing at 50% his current potential. Still managed a to class goal and assist though...
Nacho has started 2 league games and he was substitued in both and has come in 4 times as a second half sub. And started 1 game in the domestic cup abi worthless cup
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

We honestly need to stop with bringing in foreigners to the squad:
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/25/nf ... rnational/

We have superb Nigerian bred and born talent but are looking for second grade talent in Europe.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

chief nfachairman wrote:
1naija wrote:You guys like to write thesis. As far as I am concerned right now, Ighalo is our number one striker. I think Rohr if changes the lone striker strategy he used successfully in the qualifiers, Ighalo will be prolific. Nacho needs to regain his confidence. I would play him as a support striker with Ighalo as the main striker. The only problem with this is that Nacho does not defend well so that will weaken our midfield somewhat.

But as long as victor Moses is healthy, Ighalo will be our main striker in Russia, and we will score many goals.

Thesis? You honestly think Ighalo is good enough. You honestly think Ighalo is our best striker? We have 6 strikers out there country doing better than Ighalo. You honestly think becos he did well against cameroun (first leg) and ok against cameroun return leg and zambia that he is fit to represent Nigeria in the Worldcup? Or you think Zambia is Aje ni Tina, Germany or even ordinary Serbia?

Lets not shame the great guys that have worn that jersey like Yekini who was higest goals scorer in portugal, Ikpeba that was prince of MOnaco playing side by side with Jurgen Klinsmann, etc. NOt Ighalo that cannot even be top 3 goalsscorers in CHINA!! after 1 good half season in EPL, stunk up the joint for the rest.

ABEG!!
We are talking about the SE, not club football. Many of the players whose names are being thrown about here as goal scoring machines have featured for the SE and did not do squat. Ighalo fits the current team strategy, and from what i saw in the qualifiers, he is good FOR NIGERIA in Russia. The Yekini (RIP) you mention was useless in the 94 WC, so i don't see how finding another player like him necessarily means Ighalo can't be successful at the WC.

This team is built just like the 94 WC team that had many players that can hurt opponents. Ighalo's presence in the center makes it possible for players like victor moses, Iheanacho, or Iwobi to hurt teams just like Amunike, Finidi, and Amokachi were able to hurt our opponents in 94 despite Yekini being ineffective.

My biggest concern for this team is Victor Moses. If he gets hurt (God forbid) during the WC and can't play, we will be lost just like the 94 team went downhill once Amunike got injured.

So our biggest concern should not be a forward.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

marutimon wrote:We honestly need to stop with bringing in foreigners to the squad:

We have superb Nigerian bred and born talent but are looking for second grade talent in Europe.
All those being chased have Nigerian ancestry.... The whole point of the exercise is to create a pool of players for depth, comprising of local and foreign 'based' players and get them to compete for spots. To my knowledge, all the decent players from the LL are being given a fair crack under Rohr. Steven Odey, Alhassan Ibrahim, Sikiru Olatubosun, Ezenwa, even the centre back in the recently concluded WAFU cup is on Rohr's radar. There are only 11 starting spots and that should be the preserve of only the very best.
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

I don't think Strikers (No. 9) is a major problem for the SE. What I will say though is that a position is up for grabs. I think in a 23 man squad, 3 CF will be selected, in which Ighalo and Iheanacho will occupy 2 spots (barring injury). The last spot is up for grabs between the Osimhen, Nwakaeme, Kayode, all players who have been previously invited to the SE over the last year and haven't had much or any playing time with the SE. Unless the likes of Onuachu, Dessers and even Bonaventure Dennis score around 18 goals-ish or be at least on track to such a record by April/May, don't think they have much of a chance in making the final squad.
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Iheanacho scored against Zambia and Cameroon in world cup qualifications. He had a slow start to the season due to injuries and transitioning to a new club. Agents have taken over CE. I personally only care about long term potential and what the player does in GWG not at their clubs.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I would also like to see Paul Onuachu tried out. He is left footed and good in the air:
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

According to our constitution if you have a Nigerian parent and born overseas. You are a Nigerian. You don't have to go through the naturalization process. You just have to apply for a passport. So they are not foreigners. Even if they are foreigners. I don't care. The best players that want to play for Nigeria must be selected.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

1naija wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:

ABEG!!
We are talking about the SE, not club football. Many of the players whose names are being thrown about here as goal scoring machines have featured for the SE and did not do squat. Ighalo fits the current team strategy, and from what i saw in the qualifiers, he is good FOR NIGERIA in Russia. The Yekini (RIP) you mention was useless in the 94 WC, so i don't see how finding another player like him necessarily means Ighalo can't be successful at the WC.

This team is built just like the 94 WC team that had many players that can hurt opponents. Ighalo's presence in the center makes it possible for players like victor moses, Iheanacho, or Iwobi to hurt teams just like Amunike, Finidi, and Amokachi were able to hurt our opponents in 94 despite Yekini being ineffective.

My biggest concern for this team is Victor Moses. If he gets hurt (God forbid) during the WC and can't play, we will be lost just like the 94 team went downhill once Amunike got injured.

So our biggest concern should not be a forward.
Yes, We are talking about SE not club football, but your performance in club football prepares you for the SE and shows that you are good enough for the SE. You can only represent your school in a debate, if you the best in debater in the school. Argentina and Brazil only go with the best players in the best leagues and clubs. But Nigeria, who has the 3rd highest number of players overseas in the world would lower their standards (like we do with every other thing in this country) and find excuses why someone that has proven himself to be of low standards should be selected to represent us. We go and take a woman that came out with a 2-2 in a polytechnic like University and has worked in irrelevant roles and small 1 man businesses and make her Minister of FInance, and expect an economy that wouldn't be SH!!!t? when we have far more qualified people the world over.

I hear you about the current strategy but Rohr has said he would keep looking for the best strategy and best players and he believes in changing a winning team. We have players doing better than ighalo in better leagues. ROhr has also said he builds strategy based on the type of players he has.

IN that same one hour interview, he said he is looking for better players for the team keeping in mind those that helped us qualify.

We win minnows in football and feel we have arrived when in actual fact, we are just slightly better than most of the junk teams in Africa. Cameroon the African champions went to the Intercontinental world cup and got disgraced. We carried a good part of our ANC winning squad and ended in the our usual 2nd round. No matter how much blending we blend, the top teams in the world would bend this team. Ighalo would get shut out like he was shut out in just half season in the EPL after they found him out on his fake #$% Iggy scoop. We need to find players

The Eagles need extreme fire on all fronts in the attack and not just from one side of the attack.

Onyekuru******Kayode******MOses

We still need 2 more backup strikers. I hope Nacho and co pick up becuase Ighalo is just ordinary.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Mr Shows wrote:
marutimon wrote:We honestly need to stop with bringing in foreigners to the squad:

All those being chased have Nigerian ancestry.... The whole point of the exercise is to create a pool of players for depth, comprising of local and foreign 'based' players and get them to compete for spots. To my knowledge, all the decent players from the LL are being given a fair crack under Rohr. Steven Odey, Alhassan Ibrahim, Sikiru Olatubosun, Ezenwa, even the centre back in the recently concluded WAFU cup is on Rohr's radar. There are only 11 starting spots and that should be the preserve of only the very best.

I hope when Nigeria is going to war, those with Nigerian ancestry going to war would carry gun and go and fight for Nigeria too.