Question about segun odegbami

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

john12
Egg
Egg
Question about segun odegbami

Post by john12 »

I was looking at segun highlights and he seemed like a great player. I'm trying to know why segun only played football for Nigeria for 6 years?? Any older guys in the building should shed more lights to it.
Last edited by john12 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Question about segun odegbami

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

if you show us the highlights, I will help you ax my senior Unkus lik CIC, Enugu II, Oloye and co, wey sabi old school football well well.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Uncle Sege had other ideas. To start with football in their era had no money so hanging around the game was only for those who have no clear vision of what the future holds for them.
In their time those who are bright and know what they are doing, they use the game to get to the next level of their life.

I believe Big Sheg left around 82, now the SE was in drrp $#% around this time. It was the lowest period in the history of the team. This was about the time most of the players of his generation left the SE. He retired completely from the game out of frustration, but came back to play for Shooting in 84 and was dazzling in the Champions cup that year. I still remember the match against Fez of Morroco, it was his parting gift for we his fans. They begged him to return to SE he refused.

He missed the final as a result of a knee injury, one which required surgery but he did not submit himself to. This i believe also contributed to his leaving the game after the 84 season.

After the season he retired again,this time helped by the disbandment of Shooting by the them military governor of Oyo State Oladayo Popoola.

When the team was re-instated ,he was appointed the team manager of the team.

By this time i must say Big Sheg had more going on for him outside the game than inside, those guys played football for fun in their time.

He had big ideas at the time, he went into player management as an agent, i make a bold claim by saying he was the first in the country at the time, but the terrain was not ready for this. I remember one of his field agent trying to represent me,but it did not work out.
Around this time he also patnered with Sunny Ojeagbase to float Sports Souveinir and I believe complete football as well. He dabbled into sports joutnalism writing for these two sports magazines.

There was no way he was going to hang around late into his 30s playing football, there was no dignity doing that. Not around that period, big Sheg was too big for that.

Note also that he did not start or hit the limelight on time, he came into prominence after completing his HND Engineering programme from Ibadan Poly.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Bros Oloye,
Awesome contribution. What a lot of our younger CE members may or may not know was that during the days of IICC, Rangers, Bendel Insurance and Racca Rovers, a Naija player had no desire to play abroad. The quality of life at that time was not bad. There was a middle class.

My coach invited Felix Owolabi, Moses Otolorin and Umoru Garba to our high school to motivate us. At the time Otto Gloria tried to get OwoBlow to go to Brazil. His response was "why?"

Secondly, just pull up an old YouTube and listen to any of these people talk...Adokiye Amiesimaka, Segun Odegbami, Nat Adewole or Stephen Keshi and you will clearly understand that the educational level of those players would have seen them succeed in a multitude of fields outside of sports.

And boy do they have character. Many of you are privileged to have a guy like Oloye on this forum. While we may not have met, you can learn a thing or two from this dying breed. It's called class masked in character.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

oloye wrote:Uncle Sege had other ideas. To start with football in their era had no money so hanging around the game was only for those who have no clear vision of what the future holds for them.
In their time those who are bright and know what they are doing, they use the game to get to the next level of their life.

I believe Big Sheg left around 82, now the SE was in drrp $#% around this time. It was the lowest period in the history of the team. This was about the time most of the players of his generation left the SE. He retired completely from the game out of frustration, but came back to play for Shooting in 84 and was dazzling in the Champions cup that year. I still remember the match against Fez of Morroco, it was his parting gift for we his fans. They begged him to return to SE he refused.

He missed the final as a result of a knee injury, one which required surgery but he did not submit himself to. This i believe also contributed to his leaving the game after the 84 season.

After the season he retired again,this time helped by the disbandment of Shooting by the them military governor of Oyo State Oladayo Popoola.

By this time i must say Big Sheg had more going on for him outside the game than inside, those guys played football for fun in their time.

He had big ideas at the time, he went into player management as an agent, i make a bold claim by saying he was the first in the country at the time, but the terrain was not ready for this. I remember one of his field agent trying to represent me,but it did not work out.
Around this time he also patnered with Sunny Ojeagbase to float Sports Souveinir and I believe complete football as well. He dabbled into sports joutnalism writing for these two sports magazines.

There was no way he was going to hang around late into his 30s playing football, there was no dignity doing that. Not around that period, big Sheg was too big for that.

Note also that he did not start or hit the limelight on time, he came into prominence after completing his HND Engineering programme from Ibadan Poly.
Bros, I remember him playing the 2nd leg in Lagos. He even scored a goal that was disallowed. He played as a striker I think rather than his famed wing position.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

anointed wrote:
oloye wrote:Uncle Sege had other ideas. To start with football in their era had no money so hanging around the game was only for those who have no clear vision of what the future holds for them.

Bros, I remember him playing the 2nd leg in Lagos. He even scored a goal that was disallowed. He played as a striker I think rather than his famed wing position.
You may be right, as memory fails me, i think the biggest news going into the finals apart from the balubalu shenanigans and the inability of nfa to move the match to Ibadan , was his knee injury. The only thing i can recollect from that match was the own goal by Ogbein Fawole (rip) flipping the ball over rushing Raymond King and Emma Quarshie walking the ball into an empty net.

By the way he started out as a striker, it was in the SE that Father Tiko converted him to a winger.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

There's even a better than nothing youtube highlights of the game. 1Naija is gonna like this video so much he'd save it on his hard disk.

[/video]
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

oloye wrote:
anointed wrote:

You may be right, as memory fails me, i think the biggest news going into the finals apart from the balubalu shenanigans and the inability of nfa to move the match to Ibadan , was his knee injury. The only thing i can recollect from that match was the own goal by Ogbein Fawole (rip) flipping the ball over rushing Raymond King and Emma Quarshie walking the ball into an empty net.

By the way he started out as a striker, it was in the SE that Father Tiko converted him to a winger.
yeah he played with a bandaged knee
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

hmmm. i bow. C education. Thanks wise.Olos..,,
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

john12 wrote:I was looking at segun highlights and he seemed like a great player. I'm trying to know why segun only played football for Nigeria for 6 years?? Any older guys in the building should shed more lights to it. This segun highlights I saw could had ended up as Nigeria greatest ever. To think that he retired at 24 or nigeria
It's easy to display spectacular skills against amateurs and secondary school players who often played with no formal coaching. We know this because whenever spectator Segun Odeghami faced semi pro Algerians he was reduced to rubbish . Segun and Chukwu were just local champions who terrorized each other with brut force and old-ageness. Back then the oldest players were the best players. In fact Chukwu's side burns alone was older than half of the superb players we have on our team now. Iwobi will run circles around Segun in his prime. That should tell you the quality of player he was.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

1naija wrote:
john12 wrote:I was looking at segun highlights and he seemed like a great player. I'm trying to know why segun only played football for Nigeria for 6 years?? Any older guys in the building should shed more lights to it. This segun highlights I saw could had ended up as Nigeria greatest ever. To think that he retired at 24 or nigeria
It's easy to display spectacular skills against amateurs and secondary school players who often played with no formal coaching. We know this because whenever spectator Segun Odeghami faced semi pro Algerians he was reduced to rubbish . Segun and Chukwu were just local champions who terrorized each other with brut force and old-ageness. Back then the oldest players were the best players. In fact Chukwu's side burns alone was older than half of the superb players we have on our team now. Iwobi will run circles around Segun in his prime. That should tell you the quality of player he was.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

BAP wrote:
oloye wrote:
anointed wrote:

He almost didn’t even make the team. He was dropped for Segun Adeleke during the quest to find a replacement for Usiyen. He was quickly recalled after his wing display for IICC against the Simba of Tanzania a couple of week later. Thus, his SE career began. See how fate works.
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
lukemana
Egg
Egg

Post by lukemana »

anointed wrote:

Wasnt aganst Zamalek ? I was in Lagos then and saw the game on TV.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Tobi17 wrote:
1naija wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: That's cold!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

BAP wrote:
oloye wrote:
anointed wrote:

And that was the greatest disservice ever done to that great player. The coach then was banking on his name and mere presence on the field to scare Zamalek i believe who IICC was playing in the 2nd leg. But it backfired considerably.
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

1naija wrote:
1 naija, your argument doesn’t hold any water, Nigeria’s Mexico ‘68 football team wasn’t shabby and didn’t play against team with no formal training. With our football at it’s infancy, and a ravaging civil war, we ended with a 0-2-1 finish with a loss to Spain, Japan, & a tie with Brazil. Please give the bothers their dues.
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Oga oloye I'm confused when you say there wasn't money in football in 1982. I kind of disagree. The type of talent that I saw of segun on YouTube was good enough to play at Europe or South America. Even if he wasn't interested in local football his agent could had secured a foreign club for him. I think based on the games he played and retirement age at 24.(assuming he didn't change his age) segun should go down as Nigeria greatest winger
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Tales by the moonlight. Pele played even earlier than Segun and made good money. Thete was plenty of money for good players.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

john12 wrote:Oga oloye I'm confused when you say there wasn't money in football in 1982. I kind of disagree. The type of talent that I saw of segun on YouTube was good enough to play at Europe or South America. Even if he wasn't interested in local football his agent could had secured a foreign club for him. I think based on the games he played and retirement age at 24.(assuming he didn't change his age) segun should go down as Nigeria greatest winger
Even in europe how much do you think people were earning back then? Many footballer of that time retired broke.
Like someone said we jad middle class back then and they were contebted with life. Big Sgr had opportunities to play outside ,he turbed it down, so did others in their time. Adokiye beibg another.

It was bot aboutmoney back then, all these plush money you see today only came to be in the 90s. Odegbami was comfortable. When he got married in 78 or so, he was presented with a gift of 3 cars. He by his status did not have to rely ob football, he was doibg well outside the game.

By the way dont be fooled by the image of today, most of us grew up in that era never believibg we would live naija to go work in oyinbo land, not in the era wheb we were comfortable back home. Eveb as far as 82 it cist only 200 or so to travek to London and if you habe about 500naira to spend, your holiday is guaranteed. Playing football will noy give you this ,but having somethibg outside the game cab easily provide you this.

Take Adokiye, he was playing for Sharks, whike he was also a lawyer to the state and was also workibg as a presenter in PH fm radio. Football was just a hobbu for him. Otto Gloria begged to take hin to Brasil, Adokiye refused.

Odegbami had offers to play Spurs and i think Crystal Palacehe refused, even though he visits London regularly his wife and children being there.

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

1naija wrote:
This is what happens when one takes his frustration out of ogogoro and cheap liquor...he runs around belittling the efforts of others that are written in gold. :lol:

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Odegbami was good enough to play for Real Madrid or Barca in his heyday. The closest player I've seen in modern times to Odegbami was George Weah. He had everything, amazing control, dribbling skills, physicality, etc.

For starters, he retired around 32. Football was a different beast then. You didn't have the technological advances in medicine, sports science, nutrition, etc that allowed players to extend their careers beyond their early 30s.

Football in those days was not a globalised game. Pele, for example, remained in Brazil till towards the end of his career. Players in Europe were earning just about the same as players in Nigeria or Brazil. The naira was stronger than the dollar then. The only guys making megabucks then were those that transcended the game - Pele, George Best, etc. This was usually from endorsements. The likes of Harry Redknapp ended up as a cab driver in Bournemouth until he got a break in management. Others opened pubs.

Odegbami was offered a trial at Spurs while he was holidaying in London, but he told us at Mama Calabar that he went to a party the night before and couldn't be bothered to go for the trials. He said he had everything he wanted in Nigeria. The likes of John Chiedozie was at Spurs then and couldn't lace Odegbami's boots.

Back then the players that left Nigeria did so to further their education - usually going to the US. The mass exodus of players to Europe started around the late 80s and 90s and coincided with the brain drain in other sectors as the Nigerian economy tanked.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

anointed wrote:There's even a better than nothing youtube highlights of the game. 1Naija is gonna like this video so much he'd save it on his hard disk.

[/video]
This was a terrible, terrible day. I remember it like yesterday. On the way to the final, Segun Odegbami had delivered a masterclass to Maz Fez in Morocco with a goal after a mazy run. Prior to this match which was set in the hot afternoon sun in Lagos, the babalawos had filled the radios with "balubalu" incantantiions. Sootin' were too much in a hurry and was never relaxed until the dying minutes. That was 1984 African Cup of Champions final. Shooting was managed by Festus Adegboye Onigbinde who brought a young Rasheed Yekini from UNTL in Kaduna to partner Segun Odegbami. Some matches I saw at Liberty Stadium that year were unbelievable. :thumb:
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

john12 wrote:Oga oloye I'm confused when you say there wasn't money in football in 1982. I kind of disagree. The type of talent that I saw of segun on YouTube was good enough to play at Europe or South America. Even if he wasn't interested in local football his agent could had secured a foreign club for him. I think based on the games he played and retirement age at 24.(assuming he didn't change his age) segun should go down as Nigeria greatest winger
No he did not retire at 24.....he played into his early 30s.