NGERIIANS ABROAD: #2 SUNDAY OLISEH

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
NGERIIANS ABROAD: #2 SUNDAY OLISEH

Post by iworo »

NIGERIANS ABROAD: #2 SUNDAY OLISEH

The second tier of the Netherlands was already an interesting competition to witness, but received international exposure on the third Christmas day of 2016 when Sunday Oliseh signed as head coach of Fortuna Sittard. To put his rather surprising appointment in perspective. There are roughly 90 thousands citizens in Sittard, which is still 70 thousand less than the amount of Twitter followers Sunday Oliseh has. Not putting much weight on those numbers, but it illustrates the “popularity” of the 43-year old Nigerian manager. He came to Fortuna Sittard after a rocky seven-months-during-stint as head manager of Nigeria, but has performed magnificently for his new employer – already broke a longstanding club record.

Some background information on Fortuna Sittard – which is necessary I think. The club finally closed the door on financial troubles in 2016 after balancing on the edge for many years. “FSC” almost lost their professional license back in March 2016. A temporary way out was found, but making ends meet had been a troublesome experience for years. Their savior came in Turkish investor Isitan Gün, who bought 85% of the shares in July 2016. The new owner opted for calmness, meaning Ben van Dael – the head coach then – could remain in his post. Unfortunately, the results were disappointing and Van Deael was relieved from his duties in December. That’s where Sunday Oliseh comes in – who handed in his resignation as Nigeria’ head coach in February 2016 and therefore was a free manager since then. With four days to go in 2016, Oliseh signed a deal until the summer of 2018.

Fortuna Sittard only had Achilles ’29 below them when Oliseh had his first game in 2017. His goal and obligation were simple: don’t relegate. After a short winter break, the campaign resumed for Fortuna Sittard with game 20 of the season – which coincidently was against Achilles ’29. Oliseh came out victorious in his debut, letting his side winning 0-1 at the number last of the league. The Nigerian only lost once in his first nine games (4 wins, 4 draws). Included was a run of six games remaining undefeated, the best streak of Fortuna Sittard since August 2014 (7 games then).

Mainly due to this streak – Oliseh was convincing in his first task and FSC remained a Jupiler League-club for at least one season. The bricks for a new Fortuna home were provided by owner Gün and Oliseh made it a home. Their achievements in this project heavily correlate with each other. Because of their cooperation, Oliseh broke a longstanding club record by consecutively winning seven home games in the domestic league. A streak which is still ongoing – their next home game is this Friday (vs Jong AZ).

The new campaign is five games underway and only MVV Maastricht (11) and Jong Ajax (13) obtained more points than Fortuna Sittard (10). Not many thought that Fortuna Sittard could have a real shot at a promotion play-off ticket, but they are proofing everyone wrong.

A rather difficult system in place, but the Jupiler League is divided in four “periods” – with the first two games of the season not counting. The winner of a period gets a promotion play-off ticket. Fortuna Sittard obtained seven points in the last three games – no team has more points. There are six games left in this period.

Not to worry, Fortuna Sittard can also qualify themselves for the playoffs by winning the second, third, fourth period or ending in the top-5 of the regular rankings.

Sunday Oliseh is proofing to be a magnificent manager. Since his appointment at the start of 2017, only Jong PSV (45), SC Cambuur (48) and Jong Ajax (50) collected more points than his Fortuna Sittard (40). Which is absolutely incredible – especially when looking at the table of the previous season. Fortuna Sittard was 17th but Jong PSV, Jong Ajax and Cambuur were respectively fourth, third and second.

As seen in the mentioned stats above, provided by OptaJohan, Fortuna Sittard are flourishing under Sunday Oliseh and I don’t see this changing anytime soon.

We, from Thefootballfreak.com, will keep a close eye on Sunday Oliseh and Fortuna Sittard this season.

https://thefootballfreak.com/nigerians- ... ay-oliseh/
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NGERIIANS ABROAD: #2 SUNDAY OLISEH

Post by Odas »

I am happy for coach Oliseh and his team :clap: :clap: They are certainly doing very well :thumbs: :thumbs: I wish them success (promotion) at the end of it all.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Let's see what the "nay sayers" have to say about the coach or rather, "spin" this. I assume they have lined-up and are fired-up, itching for negative comments about the coach :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

Sunday Oliseh is proofing to be a magnificent manager. Since his appointment at the start of 2017, only Jong PSV (45), SC Cambuur (48) and Jong Ajax (50) collected more points than his Fortuna Sittard (40). Which is absolutely incredible – especially when looking at the table of previous season. Fortuna Sittard were 17th but Jong PSV, Jong Ajax and Cambuur were respectively fourth, third and second.
I stopped reading...
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

been a fan of Oliseh - tactically speaking
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Generalissimo Ogolo wrote:
Sunday Oliseh is proofing to be a magnificent manager. Since his appointment at the start of 2017, only Jong PSV (45), SC Cambuur (48) and Jong Ajax (50) collected more points than his Fortuna Sittard (40). Which is absolutely incredible – especially when looking at the table of previous season. Fortuna Sittard were 17th but Jong PSV, Jong Ajax and Cambuur were respectively fourth, third and second.
I stopped reading...
Common! You stopped reading because of that, a simple typo which anyone could have made? In all, the typo doesn't change the meaning of the article. That is, Oliseh is doing very well with his club. Be honest, give credit to the coach!
Last edited by Odas on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

I stopped reading...
And I never really get started reading your posts mehn. Your dp gets me all the time bro... :dream:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Nice one Oliseh, he's doing us proud, his success will open doors for others!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

most people can handle success but lets wait and see how he handles adversity
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

jette1 wrote:most people can handle success but lets wait and see how he handles adversity
:rotf: that will not be news
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

jette1 wrote:most people can handle success but lets wait and see how he handles adversity
Last season he was leading a "condemned" team into the playoffs and then his team received points deduction that had nothing to do with him, which completely killed their playoff dreams. Was that enough adversity for you?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

danfo driver wrote:
Last season he was leading a "condemned" team into the playoffs and then his team received points deduction that had nothing to do with him, which completely killed their playoff dreams. Was that enough adversity for you?

No. Not close enough. We want Naija style adversity....when the Dutch witches and wizards enter the equation, come back and call us. Airforce, wobiaz, kpianses, and willy willy's are the only recognized source of adversity.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Your comment - Sir - still doesn't say the coach has done, or is doing well. It seems you are ONLY interested in when the adversity would kick-in. Well, to me, when the adversity comes, so be it; therefore, coach Oliseh can react anyway he chooses at that time.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

platinum wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

No. Not close enough. We want Naija style adversity....when the Dutch witches and wizards enter the equation, come back and call us. Airforce, wobiaz, kpianses, and willy willy's are the only recognized source of adversity.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

Sunday Oliseh: Keep going my brother. God bless you. When you are good, you are good.
Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Odas wrote:
I stopped reading...
Common! You stopped reading because of that, a simple typo which anyone could have made? In all, the typo doesn't change the meaning of the article. That is, Oliseh is doing very well with his club. Be honest, give credit to the coach!
You should have "stopped reading" the moment you saw his name above his post. Ogolo is fast becoming another Roachlings.
:idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Oliseh is whom we thought he was
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Not a fan of Oliseh, if he likes, he can even take over from Zidane, it changes nothing for me.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Odas wrote:
I stopped reading...
*come on.

i will not stop proofing.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf: