2018 Nigerian League Abruptly Ended - Lobi declared "champs"

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 17/18 Season Nigerian Premier League: Preparations....

Post by Gotti »

ukwala wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
ukwala wrote: Up Rangers :clap:
:clap:
Where are those yeye people laughing at Rangers at the beginning of the season..?
Division 2 season has started. They are busy checking the division 2 table :taunt: :taunt:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 17/18 Season Nigerian Premier League: Preparations....

Post by Enugu II »

Gotti wrote:
ukwala wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
ukwala wrote: Up Rangers :clap:
:clap:
Where are those yeye people laughing at Rangers at the beginning of the season..?
Division 2 season has started. They are busy checking the division 2 table :taunt: :taunt:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Kai, see mouth!!! Una get mouth. Na run Toxic and I'm boys don run.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg
Re: 17/18 Season Nigerian Premier League thread

Post by oluwaseye the 1st. »

This NPFL must be pretty wack, what is it with our clubs losing scandalously as soon as they step out of the country. USM Algier slammed Plateau United our league Champions 4-0,soon we start talking about home based talents and why is NFF scouring the world for any player with the faintest Nigerian blood, well we do not seem to have talents again at home.
Truth needs no support system, it can stand firmly on its legs!!

COYS
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Two former SE players rejoin Rangers
Uche Nwofor was in the SE squad to the 2014 world cup while Ugonna Uzochukwu was an ever-present in the 2014 CHAN. Pray this starts a new trend of players returning to the local league after their sojourn abroad.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Good away draw for Rangers in Nnewi.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

ukwala wrote:Good away draw for Rangers in Nnewi.

:clap: :clap: :thumbs:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

ukwala wrote:Two former SE players rejoin Rangers
Uche Nwofor was in the SE squad to the 2014 world cup while Ugonna Uzochukwu was an ever-present in the 2014 CHAN. Pray this starts a new trend of players returning to the local league after their sojourn abroad.
Its a good trend if the players' return is not a 'brief sabbatical' before they jet off again...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
ukwala wrote:Two former SE players rejoin Rangers
Its a good trend if the players' return is not a 'brief sabbatical' before they jet off again...
True. Chisom Egbuchulam and Michael Uchebo are in Enugu but can’t even take the risk of signing locally while waiting for the next opportunity to fly out again.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

One thing that always raises an eyebrow with the NPL: it seems a very low scoring league. Is it that defences are tight and well drilled? Or that attacks are toothless? The frequent 0-0 and 1-0 scorelines do surprise me. Many seasons, a striker will end up being top scorer with only 15 or so goals.

Why is that?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

wiseone wrote:One thing that always raises an eyebrow with the NPL: it seems a very low scoring league. Is it that defences are tight and well drilled? Or that attacks are toothless? The frequent 0-0 and 1-0 scorelines do surprise me. Many seasons, a striker will end up being top scorer with only 15 or so goals.

Why is that?
It seems to me that most away teams seek to pack the bus as the saying goes. This makes it extremely difficult for a high scoring result.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Daylight robbery of MFM by mago-mago (yeye) Enugu Rangers in Enugu...Watch and see the disallowed MFM's goal in Enugu: The game ended goalless (0-0), "officially"
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Sikiru Olatunbosun has emerged the winner of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) Match Day 18 VAT Wonder Goal award, adding to his accomplishment of winning the Cable News Network (CNN) global Wonder Goal award in February 2017.

Goals by Akwa United’s Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Go Round FC Chidi Nwachukwu and that of Olatunbosun were shortlisted for voting but it was the Mountain of Fire and Miracles (MFM) football club forward that received the highest number of votes from fans in the weekly online poll for goals scored on a match day with 260 of the total 428 votes in favour of his goal against Rivers United at the Agege Stadium on Monday, April 23. Ifeanyi came second with 149 votes and Nwachukwu ended with 19 votes.

In the build up to the first half goal that gave his side the lead, Monsuru Olawale had dispossessed a Rivers United player and pushed the ball to Chukwuka Onuwa who side-stepped his marker to release Olatunbosun. The striker paced forward and arriving close to the edge of the 18 yard box, unleashed a right footed grounder that left veteran goalkeeper, Rotimi Sunday with no response. The fixture would go on to end 1-1 but Olatunbosun’s goal would also catch the attention of the VAT Wonder Goal panelists.

The player joins the list of the season’s winners that include Emeka Ogbugh and Somachi Elum, both of Rivers United and Sikiru Alimi of Sunshine Stars.

He will be presented the ceremonial award plaque during the MFM versus Niger Tornadoes match day 20 fixture at the Agege Stadium on Sunday. The prize money of N150,000 will be shared equally between the player and a charity he will nominate.

The VAT Wonder Goal was introduced in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) by the League Management Company (LMC) and is supported by the Federal Inland Revenue Services (FIRS) to strengthen club and community engagement and also create awareness for tax payment within the football community.

http://papparassi.com.ng/2018/05/05/ola ... nder-goal/
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Enugu II wrote:
The future is bright :clap:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

May 7, 2018 8:26 am
NPFL: Ogunbote Hits Out At Rangers Players Despite Away Draw Vs Wikki
https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/n ... -vs-wikki/

By Adeboye Amosu:

Enugu Rangers head coach, Gbenga Ogunbote,has blamed his players for failing to make their dominance count in Sunday’s NPFL match-day 20 clash against Wikki Tourists, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

The Flying Antelopes extended their unbeaten run against the Bauchi club to seven games following the 1-1 draw at the New Jos Stadium.

Got something to say? The let your voice be heard! Back Pass *Sport related topics only*
The hosts took the lead on 14 minutes through Usman Manu but were pegged back by Tope Olusesi’s strike 11 minutes before the break.

“It was a valuable point, but we should have taken all the points at stake as our opponents showed signs of being under pressure, Ogunbote stated after the game.

“But, we thank God for the one point gained on the road as we keep working on the team to achieve our target at the end of the season.

“I was impressed with the performance of the new players and before long, their best will come out.”

Ogunbote’s view was also corroborated by returnee striker, Uche Nwofor, who was a 75th substitute for Christian Pygbara in the game

“I am glad with the result we got today, but it could have been better because we had come for all the three points at stake,” stated the former VVV Venlo of Holland forward.

“I am here to help my team reclaim the trophy we won two seasons back. It feels great to be back to the domestic league doing what I know best.”
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I often hear complaints about dodgy refereeing in the NPL. Surely the abundance of last minute penalties etc should actually increase the average goals per game?
Enugu II wrote: It seems to me that most away teams seek to pack the bus as the saying goes. This makes it extremely difficult for a high scoring result.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

wiseone wrote:I often hear complaints about dodgy refereeing in the NPL. Surely the abundance of last minute penalties etc should actually increase the average goals per game?
Enugu II wrote: It seems to me that most away teams seek to pack the bus as the saying goes. This makes it extremely difficult for a high scoring result.
Abundance of last minute penalties has moved to division 2 where the proponents now practice their 'tactical'. You may wish to check the goals count there. :taunt: :taunt:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

NPFL: Akwa United fans disgruntled over Maikaba’s absence
Fisayo DairoFisayo Dairo May 11, 2018 Football, News, NPFL
https://www.aclsports.com/11882-2/

All cannot be said to be well in the camp of Nigeria Professional Football League side Akwa United as fans of the team have grown increasingly livid over the team’s unimpressive run of results, culminating in their 1-1 draw with Plateau United on Wednesday.

In the rescheduled Match Day 16 game decided at the Nest of Champions, the Promise Keepers surrendered a 1-0 lead to end the game 1-1 against the current league champions, in the absence of their head coach Abdu Maikaba who is away with Nigeria’s Under-20 side in Guinea Bissau.

The result marked only the second time United would drop points at home this season but coincidentally, both draws (the first against Abia Warriors) came when Maikaba was away with the national team, a trend the fans who spoke with www.aclsports.com were not happy with.

“We ought to win this game (against Plateau) but because of the sentiment of the coach. Our coach is not technically sound because our technical adviser went to international match,” began Ini Akpan, a 55-year old fan of the club to www.aclsports.com

“We lost the points because we don’t have (a) coach.”

“It’s not fair for the coach to go to an international game. It’s not fair. You have to choose whether to go for a national assignment or stay in your club.

“The man is cheating us and I don’t know what to say. The NFF should do it that once you sign agreement with the team, you won’t have a national assignment again,” added Akpan.

In his own submission, 48-year old Tony Ekwerre believes the players should be punished one way or the other for their poor performances. He particularly singled out some of the players for criticism, accusing them of being unserious on the field of play.

“They’ve not done well. To me, I feel they should be punished in one way or the other. They should be giving them either two or three matches ultimatum. If they don’t win the matches either home or away, they must seize their salaries or one thing or the other, to discipline them because it seems that they are not serious when they are on the pitch.

“So, I am angry. I am angry over it. Some players are not fit and that is the technical work, the players should have been removed in the game for a long time but they refused but they keep on walking on the field. So the management should do something to it otherwise there will be more problems,” added the civil servant.

On Maikaba’s position as the assistant coach of the Flying Eagles, Ekwerre has no problems with that.
“Having being called for national assignment, I believe his assistants should do something tangible to the team. I don’t have any problems with him (Maikaba) going to the national team because from the start, it is a promotion to Akwa United Football Club.”

Akwa United finished fourth at the end of last season before ending the season with the AITEO Cup triumph. What should they now do with the team to achieve the heights of last season?

“What they can do is to bring in strikers. We don’t have strikers in that team. We don’t have scorers in the team. They will only play fanciful football but finishing is the problem. I don’t welcome that. No matter how fanciful they play, we need finishing.

Also speaking, Nsangette Udo believes the team’s most explainable problem is wastefulness in front of goal.

“I don’t know what is wrong with the team. They could not convert their chances. Akwa United do not have a top striker. That’s the only thing I can think,” said Udo.

When pressed further on what Ifeanyi Ede, Victor Mbaoma and Gabriel Okechukwu are if he says the club does not have a striker, Udo replies:

“But they cannot convert their chances. You understand? A striker should be very sharp but they don’t perform their work as strikers. They miss a lot of scoring chances. So I don’t know what we’re going to do with the team,” a bemused Udo adds.

Asked what he would do to turn the fortunes of the team around, he expectedly highlights getting new strikers for the team.

“If they give me the power (to recruit for the team), I will make sure I bring in two strikers that can help Akwa out because their problem always seem to be the point where they can’t finish up.

“They will play good football in the midfield and we have some good defenders but when it comes to scoring, they seem to be wanting, they cannot score.”

Can Akwa still get as high as they got last season?

“For me in the league, they have to struggle very hard to get into the first three. They have to try but for the AITEO Cup, I don’t know.

“It is somehow because if you lose one game, you’re out so you have to keep winning all your games. So for now, I can’t say about the AITEO Cup, but in the league, they have to struggle to get to the top three.
Udo
On Maikaba’s absence in the dug out for their only two draws at home, Udo believes the management should ask him pertinent questions on the issue.

“There seems to be a divided attention now. That means he (Maikaba) doesn’t really know where to stick to. So, that means he is partly thinking about the national team and partly thinking about Akwa United,” he posited.

“That could contribute to the poor run of Akwa United, I think so. Because if he has 100% attention here, I want to believe that they will just sit down and look at the team and the substitutions they want to make and players to bring on board.

“I believe his own presence would have counted for the team because there are some players that would look at him and say I need to play well because this man is watching me. But now, he does not know what is happening, maybe until he watches this video. I think his presence would have counted much.

“The management of Akwa United may have to look at that issue critically. They have to ask him that Oga, where do you think your attention lies? Is it here for Akwa United or the national team. He needs to answer that question,” Udo submitted.

Akwa United will still be without their head coach Abdu Maikaba when they travel to Enugu on Sunday for their next league game against 2016 champions Rangers in the reverse fixture of their opening day win over the Antelopes in Uyo.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Enugu II wrote:
NPFL: Akwa United fans disgruntled over Maikaba’s absence
Fisayo DairoFisayo Dairo May 11, 2018 Football, News, NPFL
https://www.aclsports.com/11882-2/

All cannot be said to be well in the camp of Nigeria Professional Football League side Akwa United as fans of the team have grown increasingly livid over the team’s unimpressive run of results, culminating in their 1-1 draw with Plateau United on Wednesday.

In the rescheduled Match Day 16 game decided at the Nest of Champions, the Promise Keepers surrendered a 1-0 lead to end the game 1-1 against the current league champions, in the absence of their head coach Abdu Maikaba who is away with Nigeria’s Under-20 side in Guinea Bissau.

The result marked only the second time United would drop points at home this season but coincidentally, both draws (the first against Abia Warriors) came when Maikaba was away with the national team, a trend the fans who spoke with http://www.aclsports.com were not happy with.

“We ought to win this game (against Plateau) but because of the sentiment of the coach. Our coach is not technically sound because our technical adviser went to international match,” began Ini Akpan, a 55-year old fan of the club to http://www.aclsports.com

“We lost the points because we don’t have (a) coach.”

“It’s not fair for the coach to go to an international game. It’s not fair. You have to choose whether to go for a national assignment or stay in your club.

“The man is cheating us and I don’t know what to say. The NFF should do it that once you sign agreement with the team, you won’t have a national assignment again,” added Akpan.

In his own submission, 48-year old Tony Ekwerre believes the players should be punished one way or the other for their poor performances. He particularly singled out some of the players for criticism, accusing them of being unserious on the field of play.

“They’ve not done well. To me, I feel they should be punished in one way or the other. They should be giving them either two or three matches ultimatum. If they don’t win the matches either home or away, they must seize their salaries or one thing or the other, to discipline them because it seems that they are not serious when they are on the pitch.

“So, I am angry. I am angry over it. Some players are not fit and that is the technical work, the players should have been removed in the game for a long time but they refused but they keep on walking on the field. So the management should do something to it otherwise there will be more problems,” added the civil servant.

On Maikaba’s position as the assistant coach of the Flying Eagles, Ekwerre has no problems with that.
“Having being called for national assignment, I believe his assistants should do something tangible to the team. I don’t have any problems with him (Maikaba) going to the national team because from the start, it is a promotion to Akwa United Football Club.”

Akwa United finished fourth at the end of last season before ending the season with the AITEO Cup triumph. What should they now do with the team to achieve the heights of last season?

“What they can do is to bring in strikers. We don’t have strikers in that team. We don’t have scorers in the team. They will only play fanciful football but finishing is the problem. I don’t welcome that. No matter how fanciful they play, we need finishing.

Also speaking, Nsangette Udo believes the team’s most explainable problem is wastefulness in front of goal.

“I don’t know what is wrong with the team. They could not convert their chances. Akwa United do not have a top striker. That’s the only thing I can think,” said Udo.

When pressed further on what Ifeanyi Ede, Victor Mbaoma and Gabriel Okechukwu are if he says the club does not have a striker, Udo replies:

“But they cannot convert their chances. You understand? A striker should be very sharp but they don’t perform their work as strikers. They miss a lot of scoring chances. So I don’t know what we’re going to do with the team,” a bemused Udo adds.

Asked what he would do to turn the fortunes of the team around, he expectedly highlights getting new strikers for the team.

“If they give me the power (to recruit for the team), I will make sure I bring in two strikers that can help Akwa out because their problem always seem to be the point where they can’t finish up.

“They will play good football in the midfield and we have some good defenders but when it comes to scoring, they seem to be wanting, they cannot score.”

Can Akwa still get as high as they got last season?

“For me in the league, they have to struggle very hard to get into the first three. They have to try but for the AITEO Cup, I don’t know.

“It is somehow because if you lose one game, you’re out so you have to keep winning all your games. So for now, I can’t say about the AITEO Cup, but in the league, they have to struggle to get to the top three.
Udo
On Maikaba’s absence in the dug out for their only two draws at home, Udo believes the management should ask him pertinent questions on the issue.

“There seems to be a divided attention now. That means he (Maikaba) doesn’t really know where to stick to. So, that means he is partly thinking about the national team and partly thinking about Akwa United,” he posited.

“That could contribute to the poor run of Akwa United, I think so. Because if he has 100% attention here, I want to believe that they will just sit down and look at the team and the substitutions they want to make and players to bring on board.

“I believe his own presence would have counted for the team because there are some players that would look at him and say I need to play well because this man is watching me. But now, he does not know what is happening, maybe until he watches this video. I think his presence would have counted much.

“The management of Akwa United may have to look at that issue critically. They have to ask him that Oga, where do you think your attention lies? Is it here for Akwa United or the national team. He needs to answer that question,” Udo submitted.

Akwa United will still be without their head coach Abdu Maikaba when they travel to Enugu on Sunday for their next league game against 2016 champions Rangers in the reverse fixture of their opening day win over the Antelopes in Uyo.
EII, I have always wondered how these dual role coaches are supposed to function effectively! It wasn't always like this, I recollect that in the days of Tunde Disu, Pat Ekeji et al, they were full time NFA employees and didn't have to shuffle between club and country. I am still curious as to how the current arrangement is meant to work!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ukwala wrote: EII, I have always wondered how these dual role coaches are supposed to function effectively! It wasn't always like this, I recollect that in the days of Tunde Disu, Pat Ekeji et al, they were full time NFA employees and didn't have to shuffle between club and country. I am still curious as to how the current arrangement is meant to work!!
It is tough for the club, to be sure. The coach gets allowances and bonuses at the NT level but the club has problems. This gives us an idea how good Maikaba is. I have followed his work and he has shown at several stops that he is one of the best in the country. Akwa United may end up finishing poorly because a coach under their pay is not available. It just isn't fair. A more difficult situation is Enyimba with Aigbogun coaching both the club and country and the club playing in the continent. IMHO, NFF needs to revisit these types of assignments.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Enugu II wrote:
ukwala wrote: EII, I have always wondered how these dual role coaches are supposed to function effectively! It wasn't always like this, I recollect that in the days of Tunde Disu, Pat Ekeji et al, they were full time NFA employees and didn't have to shuffle between club and country. I am still curious as to how the current arrangement is meant to work!!
It is tough for the club, to be sure. The coach gets allowances and bonuses at the NT level but the club has problems. This gives us an idea how good Maikaba is. I have followed his work and he has shown at several stops that he is one of the best in the country. Akwa United may end up finishing poorly because a coach under their pay is not available. It just isn't fair. A more difficult situation is Enyimba with Aigbogun coaching both the club and country and the club playing in the continent. IMHO, NFF needs to revisit these types of assignments.
They sure do. Do the clubs even get anything for the absence of their coaches? Just want to know if the clubs are willingly sacrificing points for cash.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

It is rubbish shuttling coaches between two major assignments. It is up to the clubs to stop the nonsense by making it clear to the coaches to identify where their loyalty lies. But hey the lure of a few dollars more is about enough to make the club officials tow the line.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Toxicarrow wrote:Daylight robbery of MFM by mago-mago (yeye) Enugu Rangers in Enugu...Watch and see the disallowed MFM's goal in Enugu: The game ended goalless (0-0), "officially"
What is new? Magomago team :boo:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *