I STILL DONT THINK CITY HAVE SEWN UP THE EPL YET O!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: I STILL DONT THINK CITY HAVE SEWN UP THE EPL YET O!

Post by nemi2002 »

When did anybody ever win the league in November?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

City will drop points in that hectic Christmas-new year season. The EPL is very unpredictable.

The Everton v Watford game last weekend is evidence of that. Watford go 2-0 up, then Everton come back to tie it 2-2 with a late goal. Then Everton gets and scores a 91st minute penalty to go 3-2 up (after being 0-2 down). Watford get a penalty in the 100th minute (lots of injury time because the Watford GK was carried off with a head injury AND the ref was taken off with a calf injury too and had to be replaced). Tom Cleverley hits the penalty wide. Everton hang on and win after 12 minutes of injury time.
Last edited by wiseone on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

wiseone wrote:City will drop points in that hectic Christmas-new year season. The EPL is very unpredictable.

The Everton v Watford game last weekend is evidence of that. Watford go 2-0 up, then Everton come back to tie it 2-2 with a late goal. Then Everton gets and scores a 91st minute penalty to go 3-2 up (after being 0-2 down). Watford get a penalty in the 100th minute (lots of injury time because the Watford GK was carried off with a head injury AND the ref was taken off with a calf injury too and had to be replaced). Tom Cleverley hits the penalty wide. Everton hang on and win after 12 minutes of injury time.
Yup...and they're gonna get one of those games when the ball just wont go in....cue in the game vs Chelsea last season..and wetin come happen? We rise 2nd half and GBOGA!!!

Pa
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

City are sure favorites but it will be crazy to think they are going to runaway with the title with about 27 games left!!! That is way too many games left.. It usually takes just one lousy team to steal a win vs City and then they become vulnerable.

Regardless, they are currently by far the best team in the EPL this season
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Plus there is that unpredictable variable that happens to every football team at some point: bad refereeing decisions. Guardiola has been fortunate that ref calls have been going his way (e.g. the 3rd offside goal against Arsenal at a time of the game when Arsenal were turning the screw).

There was also the infamous "triple ref gaffe" fiasco against Swansea. City scored an injury time "winning goal" that resulted from a FK awarded to Man City for a non-foul (it was never a foul by Narsingh). Then Man City quickly took the "free kick" from the wrong position (10-15 yards away from where the foul occurred! :shock: ), AND City took the FK while the ball was still moving! :shock:

The most galling aspect is that these three infractions in 1-2 seconds occurred right under the nose of the linesman who was only a few feet away.

As I always say: no matter how well your team plays, a team also needs luck and cannot legislate for bad refereeing decisions, bad luck, injuries, suspensions, or unexpected events.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

wiseone wrote:Plus there is that unpredictable variable that happens to every football team at some point: bad refereeing decisions. Guardiola has been fortunate that ref calls have been going his way (e.g. the 3rd offside goal against Arsenal at a time of the game when Arsenal were turning the screw).

There was also the infamous "triple ref gaffe" fiasco against Swansea. City scored an injury time "winning goal" that resulted from a FK awarded to Man City for a non-foul (it was never a foul by Narsingh). Then Man City quickly took the "free kick" from the wrong position (10-15 yards away from where the foul occurred! :shock: ), AND City took the FK while the ball was still moving! :shock:

The most galling aspect is that these three infractions in 1-2 seconds occurred right under the nose of the linesman who was only a few feet away.

As I always say: no matter how well your team plays, a team also needs luck and cannot legislate for bad refereeing decisions, bad luck, injuries, suspensions, or unexpected events.
So EPL officials are giving City the calls and points like La Liga ones, do for Barcelona and Real Madrid? :)

Let's not forget that City didn't get a penalty they deserved in the 18th min when Sterling was pushed from behind with Chech beaten and the goal wide open.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Still a lot to play for.... what we can say with certainty is that the current top six will be the same top six at the end of the season.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

paj wrote:Yes, they have an 8 point lead..and all my Cityfan pals are already trying to reach into the fridge and retrieve the Champagne...one of them(they are three) even saying he expects them to go Invincible this season...calling City the "Shark Team" etc..bragging...but I somehow think other teams will soon figure out how to play them and they will drop points. They may very well still win the league but..not in November abeg..
Pa
Duh! Its bloody November... Of course we don't have it bagged yet.

I mean we once chased down United who had an 8 point lead with 6 games to go.

We literally too the taste out of their mouths :twisted:
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: I STILL DONT THINK CITY HAVE SOWN UP THE EPL YET O!

Post by spastic »

paj wrote: they bought well and it's working but trust me the EPL will figure things out. U'll be amazed what teams fighting relegation will resort to.
When I watched them yesterday, if not for Wenger's dumbness, I saw that U can enter dem after they've done their grahgrah for 60 minutes..which is practically how Chelsea took them twice last season.The carveat is to be able to defend well and take your meagre chances..but it's very doable. If Manure gets their act together and Spurs beat them too all of a sudden it's a 2 point margin..
I love this logic. It assumes United Chelsea and Spurs wouldn't drop points :clap:

Clap fa ya sef
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
paj wrote:
Robotnik wrote:If Chelsea could not stop them at Stamford Bridge then I do not know which team can. We just have to hope they slip up somehow.
They played a fatigued Chelsea in poor form and it took an unbelievable shot to beat us 1 nil. This is a Chelsea team with squad depth issues. Remember they played at home on Tuesday and we played away to Atletico on a wesday...deadlegs told the stories on matchday
Oga, people are looking for excuses for their team but then overlook the setbacks of the other team. Arsenal played a City team that had a CL game against Napoli during the week, Arsenal also rested a good chunk of their first team players for the game and they faced a tired Man City team and still lost.

Chelsea were dominated in their own home from start to finish and the scoreline flattered them. Both teams played CL footie during the week.
Piffington, I see you are still here carrying on the work of talking sense :thumbs:

You should have let Psh continue with his Yemibrazia type nonsense yarns :taunt:
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

green4life wrote:It will be tough but the key will be for not one but at least 3 of the contenders to be within 6 points or less of City by January 1. The more multiple teams hang around, the more likely they will feel the pressure. Regardless, there is still a very long way to go notwithstanding City's 8pt gap.

It is a marathon and not a sprint. When you look at it from that perspective then there are possibilities. Otherwise, City looks like they are running away with the title right now.
Pressure is not what can so City in... Injury is. Absent more major injuries. Seeing as they already have 2 major ones : Kompany's and Mendy's. If 2 or 3 more like on. Especially to any 2 of (Debryune, Fernandihno, Sterling or Sane) then teal trouble might ensue. Barring that, I think they are built to withstand any 1 injury comfortably. And if we get Sanchez in January, then only a Fernadihno injury might derail the team.

Yeah they will lose. Bit generally we will be strong all season..
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

spastic wrote:
green4life wrote:It will be tough but the key will be for not one but at least 3 of the contenders to be within 6 points or less of City by January 1. The more multiple teams hang around, the more likely they will feel the pressure. Regardless, there is still a very long way to go notwithstanding City's 8pt gap.

It is a marathon and not a sprint. When you look at it from that perspective then there are possibilities. Otherwise, City looks like they are running away with the title right now.
Pressure is not what can so City in... Injury is. Absent more major injuries. Seeing as they already have 2 major ones : Kompany's and Mendy's. If 2 or 3 more like on. Especially to any 2 of (Debryune, Fernandihno, Sterling or Sane) then teal trouble might ensue. Barring that, I think they are built to withstand any 1 injury comfortably. And if we get Sanchez in January, then only a Fernadihno injury might derail the team.

you get Sanchez for Sane plus fity million...
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
ceejay22
Egg
Egg

Post by ceejay22 »

City will definitely drop points, especially against teams they may underestimate
Thing is if CFC can keep winning and not drop any further points. If we can go on another 13 game winning streak we will be much closer to the top if not at the top
I know it's possible so c'mon Chelsea!!!
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

spastic wrote:
paj wrote:Yes, they have an 8 point lead..and all my Cityfan pals are already trying to reach into the fridge and retrieve the Champagne...one of them(they are three) even saying he expects them to go Invincible this season...calling City the "Shark Team" etc..bragging...but I somehow think other teams will soon figure out how to play them and they will drop points. They may very well still win the league but..not in November abeg..
Pa
Duh! Its bloody November... Of course we don't have it bagged yet.

I mean we once chased down United who had an 8 point lead with 6 games to go.

We literally too the taste out of their mouths :twisted:
well..your follow SmurfBlue comrades aren't talking like this o! They are saying it's all over...yet..remember when U leveled with us on points three seasons ago and thought U could win 15 straight? :biggrin: :agree:
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

spastic wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
paj wrote:
Robotnik wrote:If Chelsea could not stop them at Stamford Bridge then I do not know which team can. We just have to hope they slip up somehow.
They played a fatigued Chelsea in poor form and it took an unbelievable shot to beat us 1 nil. This is a Chelsea team with squad depth issues. Remember they played at home on Tuesday and we played away to Atletico on a wesday...deadlegs told the stories on matchday
Oga, people are looking for excuses for their team but then overlook the setbacks of the other team. Arsenal played a City team that had a CL game against Napoli during the week, Arsenal also rested a good chunk of their first team players for the game and they faced a tired Man City team and still lost.

Chelsea were dominated in their own home from start to finish and the scoreline flattered them. Both teams played CL footie during the week.
Piffington, I see you are still here carrying on the work of talking sense :thumbs:

You should have let Psh continue with his Yemibrazia type nonsense yarns :taunt:
U can try to disprove that City's extra day of rest was not an advantage...
Pa
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

paj wrote:
spastic wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
paj wrote:

U can try to disprove that City's extra day of rest was not an advantage...
Pa
Yes, so was Arsenal's 4 day advantage. But notice how we didn't use it as an excuse. We just went ahead and tried to win anyway.

Chelsea lost to a better team on the day. It's not like the smash and grab job you guys did at City last year. Where we dominated, scored the 1st, was slicing you guys up but missing chances while you scored 3 on 4 chances in the game.

We were better. On your patch from start to finish. And the 1-0 score line flattered Chelsea.

If it's not Wenger whining about offside goals as he ignores uncalled Penalties that should have gone against his team. It's Liverpool fans claiming City got an unfair advantage... Coz apparently their star player should be allowed to use his studs as a hole puncher on our keeper's faceand knock him out of the game. So long as he didn't mean it... So unfair... :roll:
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
spastic wrote:

you get Sanchez for Sane plus fity million...
I don dey like that your Son Sane,that boy na fire sha.Ok how did beloved not go for him when he w as cheap?Why not sell walcrap for him