David Moyes, the epitome of EPL White privileges

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet
David Moyes, the epitome of EPL White privileges

Post by realtrouble »

I doubt a black coach will be offered second chance at top flight football, if he had the record of David Moyes.

Did West Ham ask Sunderland’s Ellis Short for the lowdown on David Moyes?
The man appointed to replace Slaven Bilic was deemed dated by his players when on Wearside, where he became shrouded in a cloak of negativity

Football club executives like to talk up the amount of “due diligence” they routinely undertake before hiring anyone but such boasts sometimes end up ringing hollow.

Anyone who watched Sunderland regularly last season can be forgiven for wondering precisely how much homework West Ham United did before appointing David Moyes to replace Slaven Bilic.

Had they, for instance, talked to Jermain Defoe? In a revealing interview last autumn Defoe, now with Bournemouth but then leading Moyes’s Wearside attack, said he felt the team had gone backwards since the Scot replaced Sam Allardyce in July 2016.

“We’ve given away stupid goals with schoolboy errors, the kind of goals we wouldn’t have given away last season,” Defoe said. “From where we were I feel like we’ve gone backwards. We’ve not hit our old levels. We’re trying to play one-twos on the edges of our box. We’re not solid. We need to get back to the mentality we had before.”

At that point the majority of Sunderland’s squad – admittedly not necessarily the most harmonious or high-quality bunch – had already lost faith in the former Everton, Manchester United and Real Sociedad manager.

They duly finished bottom of the Premier League, winning only six top-tier games all season – none at home after mid December – and signed off with a goal difference of minus 40.

The general tone was set as early as August when, following a home defeat by Middlesbrough, Moyes announced that a relegation struggle beckoned. Prophecies can rarely have proved as self-fulfilling. Granted Sunderland were woefully short on pace and creativity but it did not help that he kept describing his players as “limited”.

As senior professionals muttered about training being “old-fashioned”, with inordinate amounts of time devoted to crossing practice, Allardyce’s successor increasingly came across as a bit dated.

Despite deploying multiple formations through the campaign, his tactics often seemed two-dimensional at best. “David couldn’t get inside the players’ heads, particularly the foreign players,” said an insider, citing his sidelining of the previously influential, suddenly underachieving Tunisia winger Wahbi Khazri as a prime example.

It is said that travel broadens the mind but Moyes’s Spanish odyssey appeared to exert the reverse effect. Perhaps his Basque culture shock explains why part of his £30m summer of 2016 spend for Sunderland was invested in several players he had previously worked with at either Goodison Park or Old Trafford, including Victor Anichebe, Adnan Januzaj, Steven Pienaar and Paddy McNair. Last January the arrival of Darron Gibson, Joleon Lescott and Bryan Oviedo boosted the number of old boys reunited. True, money was tight but such signings smacked of laziness.

In mitigation Moyes had been unaware that Ellis Short, Sunderland’s owner, wanted to sell up or that the club was £110m in debt. Such straitened finances led to a mass of redundancies, announced in February. Moyes was aware such cuts were looming when, only a week before, he was away in New York with the squad, indulging in “boys bonding”, which he suggested could help avert relegation.

It not only failed spectacularly but prompted suspicions that his refusal to cancel the trip when so many support staff were about to lose their livelihoods betrayed a shallow, uncaring character arguably out of touch with the reality of many lower-paid colleagues’ lives.

A coach renowned for dynamism and meticulousness at Everton bristled at the merest suggestion that his own limitations may have been “found out” on the road between Stretford and San Sebastián while persistently blaming others for Sunderland’s failings.

“A lot of good managers have been relegated,” he said in April. “I’ll use this to motivate myself.”

West Ham have given him that opportunity but did they get round to consulting Short first? “We’d been in the Premier League 10 years,” Sunderland’s owner said only last Friday. “And I’d always felt like we were fighting. But last season the way we got relegated was particularly frustrating because I didn’t really feel like we had that fight. Getting relegated in last place was particularly galling, especially since the second half of that season before, when we’d survived, was the best half season we’d ever had. We’d been quite good so we’d gone into that summer on a note of optimism.”

Moyes soon put paid to that.

Moyes’ summer spend for Sunderland in 2016
Victor Anichebe (free agent, former Moyes player – Everton)

Adnan Januzaj (Man Utd, loan, former Moyes player)

Paddy McNair (Man Utd, £4.5m, former Moyes)

Donald Love (Man Utd, £1.5m, former Moyes)

Steven Pienaar (free agent, former Moyes – Everton)

Papy Djilobodji (Chelsea, £8m)

Didier Ndong (Lorient £13.6m)

Jason Denayer (Manchester City loan)

Javier Manquillo (Atlético Madrid, loan)

January 2017
Joleon Lescott (free agent, former Moyes – Everton)

Darron Gibson (Everton, former Moyes)

Bryan Oviedo (Everton, former Moyes)

The last two for a joint £7.5m

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... llis-short

Last edited by realtrouble on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: David Moyes, the epitome of EPL White privilege

Post by nemi2002 »

Let's see how West Ham will perform under him.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

He was successful at Everton. No?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

i knew this thread was coming lol
but i agree
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

1naija wrote:He was successful at Everton. No?
Yes he was.

...But he was a disaster in Manchester United , Real Sociedad and relegated Sunderland after spending £30 million.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

realtrouble wrote:
Yes he was.

...But he was a disaster in Manchester United , Real Sociedad and relegated Sunderland after spending £30 million.
Maybe West Ham's goal is not win the EPL like Man U.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

realtrouble wrote:
Yes he was.

So in that case it's more like a fourth chance not second.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

theYemster wrote:
realtrouble wrote:
Yes he was.

So in that case it's more like a fourth chance not second.
And with West Ham in similar situation with Sunderland, your guess is as good as mine.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

I am listening to these folks on tv sing of Moyes as being the right man to save Westham from relegation...they are not old people else i would have said they were struggling from amnesia....was it not the same Moyes who just relegated Sunderland, he started with them from the beginning and he could not save them.

Damn i should have come this world a white man..i will be entitled to white privileges too! I feel like puking just listening to these dishonest folks.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

oloye wrote:I am listening to these folks on tv sing of Moyes as being the right man to save Westham from relegation...they are not old people else i would have said they were struggling from amnesia....was it not the same Moyes who just relegated Sunderland, he started with them from the beginning and he could not save them.

Damn i should habe come this world a white man..i will be entitled to white privileges too! I feel like puking just listening to these dishonest folks.

It's not too late for you. You can even say football been "bery bery" good to you.

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

1naija wrote:
oloye wrote:I am listening to these folks on tv sing of Moyes as being the right man to save Westham from relegation...they are not old people else i would have said they were struggling from amnesia....was it not the same Moyes who just relegated Sunderland, he started with them from the beginning and he could not save them.

Damn i should habe come this world a white man..i will be entitled to white privileges too! I feel like puking just listening to these dishonest folks.

It's not too late for you. You can even say football been "bery bery" good to you.

Your house nor dey head...
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: David Moyes, the epitome of EPL White privileges

Post by Kabalega »

Moyes probably has impeccable references from the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson.

The owners know that if Moyes needs advice, he will call Sir Alex and others for a solution. If they don't know they know who does and will make that call.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Kabalega wrote:Moyes probably has impeccable references from the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson.

The owners know that if Moyes needs advice, he will call Sir Alex and others for a solution. If they don't know they know who does and will make that call.
So his phone was not working in Manchester, Sociedad and Sunderland?

In hindsight he probably should've just stayed at Everton, where he managed to do just enough. They wouldn't have fired him and he'd likely still be there. It's probably for this same reason Wenger refuses to leave Arsenel. Fear of failure elsewhere.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

He was a complete disaster at his next 3 jobs - Manure, Sociedad and Sunderland. So the Everton "success" could be seen as an aberration.
http://www.naijiant.com/
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Follows the long lines of average coaches from

David O'Leary
Mick Mc Carthy
Sam Allardice (ok he is above average)
Harry Redknapp
David Moyes

I'd say British/Irish privilege
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Damn i should have come this world a white man..i will be entitled to white privileges too! I feel like puking just listening to these dishonest folks.

West Ham fans are not happy with the appointment, even if he saves them from relegation doubt he would win them over.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

So which kin privilege dey operate for Nigeria??? Imagine Oyibo build em own league and dey look after em own and una dey complain : :rotf:

Na dem tell una to Useless una country and una football league? Abeg make una go siddon
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

1naija wrote:

...when I saw that Sammy Sosa color change na laf I laf tire. Like many of our Afro-black folks white is it. Sad!

I loved the guy during home run derby/challenge with Mark McGuire of the late 90s.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I have nothing against Moyes, but I sometimes wonder how these management teams/chairmen make decisions. Of all the coaches you could possibly approach, Moyes was your best bet???

Honestly, were I a shareholder, I'd sell. Not because I have anything against Moyes perse, but the management team that thought he was the best option is sure to do some other boneheaded things.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Coaching appointments are about relationships. We've seen all manner of coaches fail in the EPL, it's an impressive list. Several non briish ones have been recycled too.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

deanotito wrote:I have nothing against Moyes, but I sometimes wonder how these management teams/chairmen make decisions. Of all the coaches you could possibly approach, Moyes was your best bet???

Honestly, were I a shareholder, I'd sell. Not because I have anything against Moyes perse, but the management team that thought he was the best option is sure to do some other boneheaded things.
Very much doubt you sell with golden egg of media rights that's making EPL clubs attractive to the owners and they panic when they look like they going to be relegated.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

anikulapo wrote:So which kin privilege dey operate for Nigeria??? Imagine Oyibo build em own league and dey look after em own and una dey complain : :rotf:

Na dem tell una to Useless una country and una football league? Abeg make una go siddon

The issue is ethnic minorities who helped with building the league are not really being looked after as you say.
Red Dwarf - Legion

anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Guv007 wrote:
anikulapo wrote:So which kin privilege dey operate for Nigeria??? Imagine Oyibo build em own league and dey look after em own and una dey complain : :rotf:

The issue is ethnic minorities who helped with building the league are not really being looked after as you say.

Well neither ethnic minorities nor majorities in Nigeria know what the hell they are doing in the Nigerian league. Focus and fix ya house before crying about someone else’s abeg. This nah Soccer and no be science :roll:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.