Zimbabwe Welcome 4 of their Foreign-Developed Players....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Zimbabwe Welcome 4 of their Foreign-Developed Players....

Post by Enugu II »

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Zimbabwe Welcome 4 of their Foreign-Developed Players...

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Are they dancing for Championship players at the airport? :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Enugu II wrote:
Why not :taunt: The BBC being provocative and mischievous as usual. Owen Hargreaves was born in Canada and learned his trade in germany. He played for wales u19 before swtching to england as a senior. Did they ask such a silly question where he was concerned :lol: :lol:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

I guess playing in the Rwanda Premiership League can be considered "Foreign" :taunt:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

sometimes i wonder if we are all same continent considering how still backwards some of these places remain
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Enugu II wrote:
It must not be overdone. It should be kept to a minimum.

The likes of Cape Verde, Algeria have massively overdone it in the past/present, and Nigeria is at serious risk of overdoing it.

The bulk of your team must always be nationally developed, ALWAYS.

I think that something like 75% of the starting XI and 90% of the Squad should be nationally developed. Now nationally developed for me is not actually as strict as you might think. It just means that the player must have participated in Nigerian football before the National Team. Whether it be Nigerian Academies, Playing football on the Streets, Playing for the NPFL and other leagues, Playing for youth teams (U13, U15, U17, U20 etc), and yes even U23 as long as you were not an over-aged candidate!

You must have some platform that imbued you with the Nigerian football culture, before you even played in the SE. That should be the case for 75% of our XI and 90% of the squad. I don't care if we have 40 WPOY candidates who don't meet my suggestion, somebody will have to get dropped. Playing for the National team is more than how good you are or even your roots, a big part of it, perhaps even the most important part, is being part of the football culture. I would not want to win the World Cup, by breaking my suggestion.

What would be the point of winning a trophy, entirely on the back of foreign developed players? It would be pointless IMO. I overlooked it in the Basketball scene in Nigeria, simply because it could help raise awareness in the game, but in football, our national sport? It has no benefit.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

jette1 wrote:sometimes i wonder if we are all same continent considering how still backwards some of these places remain
You got jokes my friend :rotf:

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Tbite wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

The likes of Cape Verde, Algeria have massively overdone it in the past/present, and Nigeria is at serious risk of overdoing it.

I think that something like 75% of the starting XI and 90% of the Squad should be nationally developed. Now nationally developed for me is not actually as strict as you might think. It just means that the player must have participated in Nigerian football before the National Team. Whether it be Nigerian Academies, Playing football on the Streets, Playing for the NPFL and other leagues, Playing for youth teams (U13, U15, U17, U20 etc), and yes even U23 as long as you were not an over-aged candidate!

You must have some platform that imbued you with the Nigerian football culture, before you even played in the SE. That should be the case for 75% of our XI and 90% of the squad. I don't care if we have 40 WPOY candidates who don't meet my suggestion, somebody will have to get dropped. Playing for the National team is more than how good you are or even your roots, a big part of it, perhaps even the most important part, is being part of the football culture. I would not want to win the World Cup, by breaking my suggestion.

What would be the point of winning a trophy, entirely on the back of foreign developed players? It would be pointless IMO. I overlooked it in the Basketball scene in Nigeria, simply because it could help raise awareness in the game, but in football, our national sport? It has no benefit.
Can I suggest that you lobby FIFA to change the rules then as for now, there are no such requirements in its statutes. Can I also suggest that you come up with sponsorship to fund academies in Nigeria to produce and train the likes of Balogun, Ekong, Moses, Iwobi, Aina, etc.

It is all well and good having lofty ideals but they need to be backed up with concrete action. Who is going to scout for these youngsters and train them as the French do in Belafontaine or the English do in Birmingham?
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

jette1 wrote:sometimes i wonder if we are all same continent considering how still backwards some of these places remain
I know, right? Some parts of Africa are really backwards compared to others.

Zimbabwe probably has the best educational system and the highest literacy rate on the continent.

Check out their human development indices and check ours out.

As for receiving 'foreign sons' their FA could have organized a dance troupe to meet them at the airport. They could even just be excited fans. No different from the FA organizing Atilogwu dancers or 'Calabar maidens' (the dancers) for a gala night for the Eagles.

I guess you have never been to an SE hotel (especially in Nigeria) to see 'fans behaving badly.

Nonsense man.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Tbite wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Can I suggest that you lobby FIFA to change the rules then as for now, there are no such requirements in its statutes. Can I also suggest that you come up with sponsorship to fund academies in Nigeria to produce and train the likes of Balogun, Ekong, Moses, Iwobi, Aina, etc.

It is all well and good having lofty ideals but they need to be backed up with concrete action. Who is going to scout for these youngsters and train them as the French do in Belafontaine or the English do in Birmingham?
It is not lofty. Nigeria has never exceeded my benchmark. It is only TODAY that the likes of you are suggesting it, and based on what? There are no shortcuts in life.

Moses played street football in Nigeria. Ekong played in the U23 (Not as an overaged player).

Against Zambia, only 1 player did not meet my benchmark. In the squad (Including standby), only Iwobi, Aina and Tyronne Ebuehi did not meet my benchmark. So in our squad we had 0.89 representation, close enough to 0.9.

So there is absolutely NOTHING lofty about my benchmark. But if you say to me that our entire team should be populated by foreign nurtured players, I would call you insane.

but I am going to revise my targets for the XI to approximately 70%, and for the Squad to approximately 85%.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bros,

What is backward in what they did. I may have missed it. Please explain.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Tbite wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Tbite,

I agree and I have a hunch that this move may backfire. However, I do not have a strong data to show this but the future will determine. As of now, this is becoming an issue of debate in many African countries. It was an issue in Cameroon recently, it is in Nigeria and in Algeria and other places as well.
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

Tbite wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

I understand where you are coming from but until Nigerian footballers start using their real age, I am in full support of this. We are at least guaranteed that these players are actually the age they claim which helps manage our expectations.
yes o
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Enugu II wrote:
Bros,

What is backward in what they did. I may have missed it. Please explain.
do they have to call up entire village of market women to come to the Airport for this; as if welcoming men from mars

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

truetalk wrote:

Zimbabwe probably has the best educational system and the highest literacy rate on the continent.

As for receiving 'foreign sons' their FA could have organized a dance troupe to meet them at the airport. They could even just be excited fans. No different from the FA organizing Atilogwu dancers or 'Calabar maidens' (the dancers) for a gala night for the Eagles.

I guess you have never been to an SE hotel (especially in Nigeria) to see 'fans behaving badly.

Nonsense man.
The guy is a clown lol. Having said that its zim culture to welcome people with that kind dancing and singing. Everytime we arrive at the village thats how we are greeted and when we are leaving and they are singing "mauya"- welcome

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Samora Machel wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Nonsense man.
The guy is a clown lol. Having said that its zim culture to welcome people with that kind dancing and singing. Everytime we arrive at the village thats how we are greeted and when we are leaving and they are singing "mauya"- welcome
I actually think it is a way to show the players' love. A guy welcomed like that will ever hardly forget. Go read Iwobi and Balogun's interviews and they talk about how the local Nigerian fans adore them. I bet if Euro clubs can copy such a ceremony to welcome new players, they would do it and include cheerleaders.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Samora Machel wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Nonsense man.
Your stress is obvious unsuccessfully trying to convince me Zimbabwe isn't a relatively backwards nation. obviously their literacy rate has yet to translate to viable socioeconomic development. In fact entire southern African region is innately backwards considering their failure to fully tap into opportunities of south Africa as an economic hub.

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Someone might think that I am coming at this from some primitive or Jingoist perspective.

but It really comes from a place of objectiveness.

Even if it helps you manage your SHORT TERM expectations, it destroys any concept of LONG TERM expectations. How can we measure our productivity, how can we manage long term expectations when we are not the ones nurturing the talent? So if England goes through some economic crisis and cuts funding for football academies, how are we supposed to plan for things completely external to our ecosystem?

If they decide that shorter and more mobile players is key, then that is what we will get...if they decide that stronger and taller players is key, then that is what we will get. Our football will be decided by them! And what of measuring our productivity? If we develop youth talent in Nigeria, but those players lose their spots to the English nurtured talent, how do we get a true sense of what we are doing right or wrong. You might argue that they are in competition, but go back to the previous point. What if the Nigerian player is good enough, but doesn't fit the system? Because all of a sudden, the system is an English offshoot?

There are a million reasons why this is not a good idea. Another one is the backlash. If they know that Nigeria is always lurking around the corner, there will be a stigma around players with African descent. If you have one Oluremi Akande going toe to toe with one Carlton Stone, and they are both EQUAL, who do you think will get the benefit of the doubt in the England system?

I have not come on here as some ultra-conservative or hardliner, I have said this is all fine, just don't overdo it. I am not asking for much.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Tbite wrote:Someone might think that I am coming at this from some primitive or Jingoist perspective.

but It really comes from a place of objectiveness.

Even if it helps you manage your SHORT TERM expectations, it destroys any concept of LONG TERM expectations. How can we measure our productivity, how can we manage long term expectations when we are not the ones nurturing the talent? So if England goes through some economic crisis and cuts funding for football academies, how are we supposed to plan for things completely external to our ecosystem?

If they decide that shorter and more mobile players is key, then that is what we will get...if they decide that stronger and taller players is key, then that is what we will get. Our football will be decided by them! And what of measuring our productivity? If we develop youth talent in Nigeria, but those players lose their spots to the English nurtured talent, how do we get a true sense of what we are doing right or wrong. You might argue that they are in competition, but go back to the previous point. What if the Nigerian player is good enough, but doesn't fit the system? Because all of a sudden, the system is an English offshoot?

There are a million reasons why this is not a good idea. Another one is the backlash. If they know that Nigeria is always lurking around the corner, there will be a stigma around players with African descent. If you have one Oluremi Akande going toe to toe with one Carlton Stone, and they are both EQUAL, who do you think will get the benefit of the doubt in the England system?

I have not come on here as some ultra-conservative or hardliner, I have said this is all fine, just don't overdo it. I am not asking for much.
[1] Valid points but you have not suggested remedies to the situation. At the moment, it is backs against the wall time as the Nigerian academies are simply not producing the players

[2] In the 1990s, Nigeria was producing quality players annually with the like of Okocha, Kanu, Taribo, Ammunike, Oliseh, etc all coming through. That is simply not happening today

[3] Have you also noted that European clubs are a lot more skeptical about buying Nigerian players, mainly because of our age cheating. These clubs prefer to buy 10 year old kids like say Habeeb Makanjuola and groom them themselves rather than buy "finished youths." No club wants to buy a 19-year old who only has four more years of active football left in him

[4] Back to Nigeria, if we are to take youth development seriously, it has got to be done on a local government level. There are 774 local government areas in Nigeria. It is there that the academies need to be based. Do you have a plan for this?

[5] The way the English scouting system works is that a kid in Colchester will be discovered at the age of 14 and be signed up by the Colchester United youth team. If he shows promise, West Ham will then buy him. After two or three good seasons at West Ham, if he is top class, Manchester United will buy him. Now, no such structure exists in Nigeria

[6] There is no club in say Kaura Namoda, Buguma, Umunede, Okigwe, Birnin-Gwari, Owo, Katsina-Ala, Mbaise, Katagum, Isheyin, Gwoza, Idah, etc that is actively scouting for talents across its local government areas

[7] Nigerian state governments only run one big club like Enugu Rangers, Insurance of Benin, Enyimba, Kaduna United, Shooting Stars, Kano Pillars, Akwa United, Sunshine Stars, etc. These clubs only really deal with finished products who come to them. They have no proper youth and scouting networks

[8] Have you ever known any Nigerian club set aside say 20% of its budget for youth development?

[9] If you ask me, with our age cheating, it is simply impossible to run an effective youth system

[10] Back to England, your point is valid but with the World Cup eight months away, we have to take what is on offer now. After Russia 2018, we can return to this subject