I'm beginning to see an emerging plan with Rohr's team

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
I'm beginning to see an emerging plan with Rohr's team

Post by Tobi17 »

I think or I'm rather inclined to believe that Rohr is building a solid DEFENSIVELY cohesive team first before fan-tuning the team orchestra into an all round team. And that's why much of the playing structure is emphasized on attacking more from behind with diagonal passes sent out wild to our wingers, that explains why our width is particularly very strong judging from the players(Victor Moses,Simon, Onyekuru, Nwakaeme, Musa,Bazee, even Iwobi)...majority of our goals scored in the qualifiers came that the width,and the build up and transitioning sequence all came from the defensive phase...even our forwards like Moses, Ighalo, Simon tracked back to defend whenever we were on the back foot( 3 of our goals against Cameroon came from a fast defense )to attack team play. Its clear Rohr isn't much of a fan of attacking football from the middle,and that will explain why he has built the core of his midfield around mostly CDM's like Onazi, Ndidi, Ogu, Agu, with the exception of Mikel seems to play a more advanced role even though we know Mikel is best suited for the deep playmaking role; in all the primary goal of a good coach is to find a way to concede less goals first...and that is what Rohr seems to have achieved so far, yet we have maintained a good scoring record so far.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg
Re: I'm beginning to see an emerging plan with Rohr's team

Post by Robotnik »

^^ Are you just figuring this out?

In addition to this, to be a more well rounded team we also need to be able to possess the ball, press the opposition. I have only seen us do this against Tanzania and South Africa and it was not too successful. The best form of defence is attack or the possession game. We turn over the ball too easily for my liking. In reality you cannot only rely on counter attacking although it is a more realistic way of playing to get results.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Defense has been our problem ever since we started qualifying for the wc. The 94 team was a little better but our inability to stop the top teams from scoring cheap goals has always been our undoing. Rohr knows that it’s still our problem. I see this SE grinding out results instead of dazzling opponents. We need to win the 1-0 games!
OCCUPY NFF!!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Very good points, Tobi17.

Rohr is very smart to focus on consolidating our defensive capabilities because except for Keshi's tenure, that has been our Achilles heel for a long time. I am confident that this team will get a result against Argentina (and other attacking South American sides) if we meet them again at the WC.

The midfield possession, attacking game is very hard to sustain and very hard to maintain defensive solidity while doing it, because the two are related. In such a system, possession of the ball becomes the primary mode of defense (ala Spain and Barcelona). That is why there are only a few teams that can do it very well. Argentina thought they could play like that for many years but they just did not have the top-to-bottom quality to pull it off, which is why they were successful against teams like Nigeria, Greece, Mexico etc at the WC, but once they come up against teams that have the quality to hurt them, they are hurt really bad.

So Rohr is being very clever and our potential is likely to be maximized next year at the WC. We will not be giving up many soft goals with this man at the helm, and we will hurt some teams very badly (I am looking at you, Argentina).

Wha choo looking at?!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Defense has been our problem ever since we started qualifying for the wc. The 94 team was a little better but our inability to stop the top teams from scoring cheap goals has always been our undoing. Rohr knows that it’s still our problem. I see this SE grinding out results instead of dazzling opponents. We need to win the 1-0 games!
Defense has always been most teams problem otherwise they won't be losing matches :tic:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

pajimoh wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Defense has been our problem ever since we started qualifying for the wc. The 94 team was a little better but our inability to stop the top teams from scoring cheap goals has always been our undoing. Rohr knows that it’s still our problem. I see this SE grinding out results instead of dazzling opponents. We need to win the 1-0 games!
Defense has always been most teams problem otherwise they won't be losing matches :tic:
Our has been really bad. Too many cheap goals.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The truth is that is the way Rohr plays. He did that with previous teams that he coached. I actually wrote about this in my blog when he was hired.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote:The truth is that is the way Rohr plays. He did that with previous teams that he coached. I actually wrote about this in my blog when he was hired.
Then major kudos must go to the people who sought him out and hired him, for identifying our problems and hiring the right man to address them.

Wha choo looking at?!
proclaimjesus02
Egg
Egg

Post by proclaimjesus02 »

Enugu II wrote:The truth is that is the way Rohr plays. He did that with previous teams that he coached. I actually wrote about this in my blog when he was hired.
Kindly provide me the link.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Then major kudos must go to the people who sought him out and hired him, for identifying our problems and hiring the right man to address them.
Bros, Rohr fell into our lap after the Le Guen fella that those "people" wanted fashi-ed us...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
ikemba
Egg
Egg

Post by ikemba »

Gotti wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Bros, Rohr fell into our lap after the Le Guen fella that those "people" wanted fashi-ed us...

:lol: :lol: . It was a good accidental hiring by the still inept Pinnick
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

ikemba wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:

:lol: :lol: . It was a good accidental hiring by the still inept gotten Pinnick

Where is le Guen now? The oloriburuku woulda gotten us knocked outta the wc even before Ghana. Oloshi. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Gotti wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Then thanks must go to divine providence. Doubly so as Le Guen is no one's idea of a good coach.

Wha choo looking at?!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

proclaimjesus02 wrote:
Kindly provide me the link.
Here you go (Enjoy!):

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2016/08/r ... eting.html

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2016/08/p ... hr-as.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Tobi17 wrote:I think or I'm rather inclined to believe that Rohr is building a solid DEFENSIVELY cohesive team first before fan-tuning the team orchestra into an all round team. And that's why much of the playing structure is emphasized on attacking more from behind with diagonal passes sent out wild to our wingers, that explains why our width is particularly very strong judging from the players(Victor Moses,Simon, Onyekuru, Nwakaeme, Musa,Bazee, even Iwobi)...majority of our goals scored in the qualifiers came that the width,and the build up and transitioning sequence all came from the defensive phase...even our forwards like Moses, Ighalo, Simon tracked back to defend whenever we were on the back foot( 3 of our goals against Cameroon came from a fast defense )to attack team play. Its clear Rohr isn't much of a fan of attacking football from the middle,and that will explain why he has built the core of his midfield around mostly CDM's like Onazi, Ndidi, Ogu, Agu, with the exception of Mikel seems to play a more advanced role even though we know Mikel is best suited for the deep playmaking role; in all the primary goal of a good coach is to find a way to concede less goals first...and that is what Rohr seems to have achieved so far, yet we have maintained a good scoring record so far.
Simply and short: Rohr prefers 2 ball winners operating in a middle trio behind a creative midfielder to provide balance. He likes wingers that are creative but also hard working and his #9 is more of a focal point - bringing others into play and helping retain possession upfront - than an attacker. It's about balance and control with regards to Rohr.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Rohrs strategy is balance. He is molding a team both strong in defence as in attack. In attack he prefers the half field counter and to execute this he has ball winners at the base and a 3 man attacking midfield. In defence the wingers fall back creating a 3 man midfield defense. Mikel plays a libero role. Playing mostly at the central attack.

His problem has been to find a striker that can play the lone striker position on the counter or be a box player.